Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Women dress up for other women".

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

"Women dress up for other women".

That's what a woman said at a mixed function I was at last week. Someone mentioned women in very hi-heels. A guy said, "They wear those for men!"
    Then, a woman responded with my TITLE LINE above!

Whether or NOT that's tru, I wondered who CDs dress up for? Those of u that DO dress up, that is!?

As a closet CD, I dress up for MYSELF! Then, I may post my pics in the vain hope that OTHER'S mite like them. But, whether they DO or DON'T, I assemble my looks to suit MYSELF!

Those of u that dress up, WHY do u do it? For yourself? For other CDs? For men or GGs?
    Curious minds want to KNOW!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

My style of clothes is to blend in so in saying that it would be to blend in with other women. Therefore yes I dress for the approval of other women.
    TO OVER WEIGHT TO POST A PHOTO, MY wife tells me I look like I am pregnant

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    Whether or NOT that's tru,
    Just for the record, it isn't. Not for most of us.

I wondered who CDs dress up for? Those of u that DO dress up, that is!?
    And now, back to our regular programming. I can't wait to read the responses!
    Reine

For what I understand, it's somewhat misunderstood. Most women dress up in their personal style to simple look good, fashionable and appropriate for the occasion. I don't believe any 'approval' is involved in any of it, other than to herself. I think the mix-up happens in the fact that those factors have nothing to do with the fact that her man might find her hotter in heels all the time than ballet flats or moccasins, which she'd find 'cute and fun.' So, it's not that they dress up for 'each other', it's that they never dress up 'for men.' If a woman is wearing heels it's because she likes how they look, not because her boyfriend / husband likes how she looks in heels. At least, that's for every single woman I have ever met, outside of rare 'treats' on special occasions like anniversaries.

On the other hand, I know plenty of guys dolled up in outfits their girlfriend / wife put together (dressing up entirely FOR women), but they all really needed in help in the fashion department... lol....
    Last edited by Sophie_C; 10-20-2010 at 11:57 AM.

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    I certainly don't dress up for me. I mean, ewwww.

I dress up for me - plain and simple (hey! Just like me! ).

Kathi

Personally, I buy clothing that I like. But I do like to dress for others. Yet, I'm closet...lol I find a anonymous person to take pictures of me and try to wow them (generally, I find men - not women ). It's a lot of fun and I LOVE seeing the pics because it's seeing myself from a different perspective than I'm used to! It's great!

Michelle
    Last edited by Michelle1056; 10-20-2010 at 02:01 PM.

As a GG I dress for myself.
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

Coutner question for ya Doc! If you dress strictly for yourself, and yourself only, why do you post pics in the name of vanity?

Your clothing is your expression of self. In several cases, such as a job interview, they become a projection of self. People wear what they do to be seen, knowing full well that anyone that sees them will form their first opinions, however vague and non-committed, on what they see.

I've been to a couple of formals where two gals were wearing what was close enough to the same dress... line of sight between the two was a dangerous place to be. I will never know why that was - and still is in some circles, but I suspect Alpha Queen type stuff. I've also had a girlfriend that would only wear a dress to a formal event once - not even for two in different countries (let alone different ball rooms in the same city!) - she called it a fashion faux pas... I called it snobby... but that's the image projection she was after with her peers (ie, the "other women" to dress for).

No answer is one size fits all. You can't take my old gf's opinion and say that "women" in general are like her, but you can't discount it either.
    Life is simple math: Expectations - Realisations = Disappointments.
    Tell ya what... I won't be too easily annoying, if you won't be too easily annoyed!
    Blogging | Twitter | Google+ |
    Acceptance comes in asking yourself the questions... and not caring what the answers are.

The basic answer is that I do it for myself. That being said, I truely enjoy receiving compliments from others. In today's society one is more likely to recieve a compliment from a woman than a man. Men certainly notice a nicely dressed woman but would rarely say so to someone whom they do not know personally.
    Hugs, Carole

I think it depends what type of crossdresser you are. My friend, Tina, definately dresses fior men and admits it. On the other hand I dress for women. You can't beat getting complimentary remarks from ggs about your outfit, make-up or accessories.
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/

When a guy I dress for comfort and function
    As a CD I dress for comfort, function and cute

Since I am still living as a guy when I dress is to achieve balance and reaffirmation that I look as I feel. When out I dress to present my self in good light and appropriate for occasion. Yes, I do want to be looked at as pretty and fashionable gal, to whoever is looking.

I do it because it makes it much easier for my partner to steal the guy's wallets when they are distracted... Jus' kid'n, I am not a thief...I am a serial killer...hehehee

Internet disneyland reply:
    I dress for myself, not for others. I am not dressing to impress anyone, and certainly not to attract guys...I am straight!!

Real world reply:
    I dress for success, no wait, for excess...wait, I mean sexcess...wait.
    Oh, ok...I dress because it makes me feel sexy and turns me on and it is just fun to push the envelope. I also dress for CDs, GGs, guys, gays, lesbians, transeverybodies, and anybody else that is interested. It is just a rush...and I am an explorer. There I said it, and I'm not takin' it back...

I believe women dress according to the competitive games they share with each other in fashion...but the primary goal is the provocative fuse it lights for men.

that's what I think...during the few times I actually do think...
    Last edited by eluuzion; 10-20-2010 at 03:52 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i dress up for my self, but i try to be good looking and in fashion.
    my intent is to be able to blend in and not be noticed..but i do try to dress nice.
    like for school tonight i am just wearing a purple skirt and a black shell top with a (not a shawl it has short sleeves) cover it might get chilly tonight. and i try to cover my wide shoulders.
    not sure if heels or sandals, but not flats.

[QUOTE=Blaire;2297455]Coutner question for ya Doc! If you dress strictly for yourself, and yourself only, why do you post pics in the name of vanity? /QUOTE]

Doc, I wouldn't presume to speak for you, but I'd like a stab at this.

Blaire, are you implying that we dress up only to post pics of ourselves? Taking pictures is done for many reasons (shall I list?), and posting them is an afterthought.

I dressed up before I took pics, and I took pics long before the internet. Yes, I like to share my pics, especially with other cd's. Nothing wrong with a little feedback, and getting a little recognition for my efforts. I have many more pics than I have posted. Before archiving my pics digitally, I maintained a scrapbook.
    I also like to see pics of other cd's. And don't question their motives for posting them.

Hey, I just got a new car! Of course, I only bought it so I could take pictures of it to post online.

Reality check!

Quote Originally Posted by Blaire View Post
    You can't take my old gf's opinion and say that "women" in general are like her, but you can't discount it either.
    Blaire, I suppose there are divas among every group of people! But in this economy, there aren't many who can afford to wear different evening gowns, even when the galas are in different countries! Frankly, I'd even go so far as to say that the average woman doesn't attend all that many galas.

Getting back to Sherry's question, maybe it needs a bit of tweaking:

Who are two women dressing for?

Attachment 144814Attachment 144813

The question isn't so much about individual women's personalities. I think you'll get more accurate answers if you ask what are her motives when a woman wears particular items of clothing. Unless the sexy sweater dress woman is a lesbian, if anyone thinks she dresses for other women, or even purely for herself, you have a lot to learn about women. She is definitely dressing for men (edited to add: or for the man in her life). But I would say that the plaid dress woman is dressing for herself.

Now granted, the CDs who post pics in lingerie or who go out wearing outfits that have a similar sexiness score as the sweater dress may be dressing for themselves, for the pleasure of knowing they are achieving the sexy woman look. But, I guarantee you that it is the men they encounter who will appreciate their look more than the women. It boggles my mind that some CDs don't, or say they don't realize this.
    Last edited by ReineD; 10-20-2010 at 05:06 PM. Reason: see edit note
    Reine

I dress in Clothes I like that I think look good on me.Skirts and dresses are nice, but cannot be worn everyday. I like to blend in not stick out. I want to look like a Female and act like a female and try to be accepted as a female. Males? EWWWWWWW!!! I would never dress for any male, I would love to dress in Ladies clothes to turn the Ladies on, but most females want Men to be Men not a man in a dress. I have made many Female friends while dressed was accepted by most females out there the ones you want to watch for are the Teeny boppers in a herd, always avoid them. Singly most female will accept you and will talk with you. These are my observations.
    Ladies have a GREAT time!
    Smile GOD LOVES you!!!
    GOD BLESS US ALL!!!
    AMY Hepker

ROSES ARE RED
    VIOLETS ARE BLUE
    I'LL BE ME
    AND YOU BE YOU

Hello Sherry!
    I dress mainly for myself and that is bent so my clothes choices are acceptable to those around me when I go out. When I did not venture out of the house, I could wear outlandish styles with the shortest skirts and sexy lingerie that could show. Now I dress to blend and still satisfy myself.
    Charlie

in very general terms I believe that women "GG's" dress in a manor that helps them feel good about the way they feel about the way they look.
    For my self I try to look pretty so that I can feel good about the way I feel about the way I look.
    even when it comes to being practical in terms of dress I try to choose colors that I like because it helps me feel good abut the way I feel about the way I look.
    Kelly

You ARE Loved.
    You BELONG in this World.

Whether or NOT that's tru, I wondered who CDs dress up for? Those of u that DO dress up, that is!?

Curious minds want to KNOW!

I dress up to keep from getting arrested.
    I dress in female clothing because it makes me feel better and I like it!
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

KarenS
    I love being a woman!

i have had some thought on this , if im dressing i want to dress as proper as i can but i want to dress in what i would like to see a girl in to, so am i dressing for my self (yes) and no , i dont go out and yet i want to dress proper ,
    wont anything fem work (no) it needs to match be and look right , but no one will ever see it , so who am i dressing for ? i just dont know if falls in to the same as why am i dressing , ( for me) or a need to express a inner fem side , when i half to, i half too , but why , if cought the end result could be extrordenaraly bad yet i still do it and feel great , then the guilts then the i dont cares , still the for why's the why and how comes all come back to- for me , i need to and i want to feel that way ok clear as mud ok
    I like my femself; it makes me feel more civilized, i think girltime should be a requirment for all kids.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post

Blaire, are you implying that we dress up only to post pics of ourselves? Taking pictures is done for many reasons (shall I list?), and posting them is an afterthought.
    I don't remember saying "only." Change the first sentence to "Blaire, are you saying that when we dress up, we will at times take pictures of ourselves to show off?" Answer no... I'm far enough away that the lightning won't get me. Words like only, all, most, and always are not usually good to use when talking about motives other than your own.

Hey, I just got a new car! Of course, I only bought it so I could take pictures of it to post online.
    Another "only". One buys a car for transport from A to B. Do tell me though, what's the difference in the odds of you posting the car picture if it was a Pinto vs a Ferrarri?

The whole point is if you truly do something strictly for yourself, there is no need to share it - your own satisfaction is the only necessary goal. As soon as you share it, there's at least a part of you that's saying Look at Me, Look what I have, Look _______. It's no longer strictly for yourself, it's seeking feedback, and very few of us human types go out of our way to seek negative feedback.

The obvious exception is a case like those showing half made up faces looking for help. I trust we know we're not talking about things such as this.

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    Who are two women dressing for?
    The first is dressed as she is for enticement. I'm also sure her choice was twofold. One, because she feels sexy and attractive in it. Two, because of the effect it's sure to have on whoever she's looking at - for a variety of possible motives. At any rate, to say that you can find examples of how "women don't dress for other women", doesn't invalidate the existence of those that do. Wander the malls on a Friday afternoon in these parts, you'll see plenty of it. Imagine the picture without the come-hither look. Would that change anything in your interpretation?

Change the scene to a club. The dress is suitable for that environment, and she's with her SO. Why's she wearing that in particular? To be the hottest gal on the dance floor? For her ego? For his? To warn off other gals that she's got him covered? You can run the whole range of possible choices, and none of them are invalid, and all of which we've possibly experienced.

But I would say that the plaid dress woman is dressing for herself.
    The only thing I can see is that she's wearing it because her modelling gig said she had to Would she look good going to a coffee meet with fellow PTA types? If she was in the mood for this dress, would she still wear it to the board meeting? You cannot say that you have never thought about your clothing choice for the day from the point of view of someone else - and leaving out the special case of your SO, count them up, what's the M/F ratio?

Lets say you've dressed, and have gone out, done your thing, and returned home. In each of these three scenarios:
    - Nobody noticed you
    - You were noticed by a guy that told you he liked what you were wearing
    - You were noticed by a girl that told you she liked what you were wearing

Which one makes you feel better about the outfit that you were wearing? Certainly it's one of the bottom two, and I think the compliment about your CLOTHES would mean more to you coming from someone that probably knows more about clothes, so I'll guess that you'd be happiest should option 3 have been realized. If this is true, and given that we are creatures that seek acceptance and approval, are you sure can you be absolutely 100% certain that it wasn't a goal?

I hope you don't think that I'm trying to tell you, or anyone else, what you (or they) think, just trying to spark a little introspection, and realisation that life has no black or white in it, but always a little of both in a varying, and always fluctuating, mix.
    Last edited by Blaire; 10-21-2010 at 01:05 AM.
    Life is simple math: Expectations - Realisations = Disappointments.
    Tell ya what... I won't be too easily annoying, if you won't be too easily annoyed!
    Blogging | Twitter | Google+ |
    Acceptance comes in asking yourself the questions... and not caring what the answers are.

Silver Member
    Speaking as a TV, I first and foremost dress the way I do for myself and my own pleasure. To a lesser extent, I dress to "impress" ("impress" isn't quite the right word but it is the closest word I can think of) women and other TVs. I'd like to be known as a classy dresser and having an appropriately classy image, but primarily I just wear what I wear for myself.

I would love to dress up to please my significant other, but since I don't have a girlfriend much less one who would actually enjoy my dressing, alas, for me this is moot.

I dress for myself. But saying that I like to dress to show other people I'm a woman for that period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    Unless the sexy sweater dress woman is a lesbian, if anyone thinks she dresses for other women, or even purely for herself, you have a lot to learn about women. She is definitely dressing for men
    I don't agree Reine. I think what you are saying is true for most women where you live but it is not true for other areas. In many parts of the world women enjoy expressing femininity and sexiness daily in their presentation. Where I live strappy tops, 12 inch skirts and tube dresses are normal everyday wear. Femininity is actively enjoyed and celebrated.

Secondly I agree with Blaire's point that some women enjoy exuding femininity/sexuality just for themselves. It makes them feel good. They enjoy the attention, they enjoy the competition and oneupmanship. There are women who would wear the backless sweater dress to go shopping in the mall. They are not dressing for men, they just enjoy the look and lifestyle. Now granted the look was designed to attract men's attention but that does not mean this is the only reason why a woman would want to wear such a dress.

I also agree with Blaire that the "women dressing for other women" is being interpreted too strictly. Women dress to please themselves and only rarely on special occasions will they dress for a man. However women's dress code is referenced by what other women wear so there are elements of peer approval, fitting in and sometimes competition and copying. So women are picking their daily outfits partially based on how other women dress and are in turn pleased when other women compliment their appearance.

So in a loose sense women are dressing for other women. And the same is true of men. Men don't dress for women except on special occasions so their dress sense follows male trends. Men need to fit in within their work group and social setting so will copy what others are wearing. The main difference with men is that clothes are usually used as uniforms and not as expressions of individuality or sexuality. It is not designed to make you feel good about yourself.