Though I have been cd'ing most of my life, I only recently gathered the courage to venture into the public. I have always been afraid of not being able to pass. I have finally come to realize that "passing" isn't necessarily about not being read, but rather being read and still being accepted and treated with respect.

I spent yesterday out on the town going shopping and getting a bite to eat. At Macy's (my favorite store) a woman approached me to tell me she really liked my dress. Now I am not completely gullible. I am 5'11" and wearing a low cut dress with 4" heels out shopping. I know I have been read, but I came to realize that I was also accepted by this total stranger. Normally I would have been completely humiliated but it actually made me feel good.

Following my shopping trip I stopped by a McDonalds for a snack. After ordering, the teenage girl (who I fear the most) gave me my order and told me I looked beautiful. Again, I know I've been read. I also have a young daughter and have a Phd in sarcasm, and this girl was sincere. I thanked her kindly and went about my night with a smile. A good day.

Sorry for the long rant, but wanted to share my new found freedom.