Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your real hair, or wig

Your real hair, or wig

For those of you who use to wear wigs and now have let your own hair grow and have it styled in a fem style, are you more comfortable going out dressed now then you were when you wore a wig all the time. Also kind of wondered how many of you have you hair long?

Naturally long hair to just below waist. Have had hair length down to back of knees when younger. Only used wigs in early 70's. I have always prefered to have my own hair over wigs but understand that not all have that option due to many diverse reasons.

Danni

it made a huge difference in my presentation and especially my confidence. I felt like that difference allowed me to be more feminine.

As you can see from the avatar - it me except for a small wiglet on top to cover the bald spot
    Michelle

[SIZE=4]At 18, military barbers hardly ever saw me since my own hair was so sparse that it looked almost like I had shaved my head. So, today I do shave anything that still crops up, thus my total fascination with wigs[/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am a licensed Cosmetologist (hair stylist, not cosmonaut), work as a hair and wig stylist, makeup artist and permanent makeup artist, dressed as you see in my avatar and albums.

My web site www.apparentlyfemale.com

I have over 2,500 pictures on my Flicker site located at http://www.flickr.com/photos/9315394@N02/

I prefer my own hair. Wigs unvariably make me look like I am wearing a bad rug
    "Never forget the many ways there are to be human" (The Transsexual Taboo)

I have my own hair. I never used wigs, and I did not get into expanding my wardrobe options - skirts, dresses, and heels until 9 months ago.

I started letting my hair grow out February 2009 and I have started going to a stylist for a woman's styling in July instead of going to a barber. I return every 10 to 12 weeks.

There really haven't been any issues with my hair length since enough men in the Dallas area have long hair.
    Last edited by JohnH; 11-08-2010 at 11:13 AM.
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

Silver Member
    Depending on the event, I have become very confident going out with either my own hair, which is now cut in a short feminine "bob" style, or any of my various wigs!

Unfortunately, genetics doesn't allow me to grow my hair.

Wig for me! My own hair, while once full and nice, got real thin, and now it's not worth worrying about. Funny thing, though.....when I'm wearing my wig, it doesn't feel like a wig. I forget it's a wig after a while, and it's just........my hair.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Real hair has become the new normal for me. Haven't had a "proper" haircut in at least 10 months, perhaps more (I didn't embark on this road with a plan, it just kind of happened).

To answer your question, I've never had any sort of comfort issue in going out but having my own hair raises it to another level. It's something that is really hard to describe but I know it when I feel it.

As for how long I can keep this up, my wife and mom pretty much hate it but probably 95% of friends think it's really cool (in guy mode, of course).
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I've been growing my hair out for just over 2 years now and I've found that it's too thin and is too far back on my forehead for me to wear in a feminine style. It's fine around the house, but if I am going out, I'll wear a wig. Besides, I like the variety of looks I can get with wigs.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

My own hair has been retreating for many years now and I actually keep my scalp shaved all the way. It's much less expensive than paying for haircuts and also makes the required wig sit much more comfortably.

A good quality wig is key, as the better wigs do feel like you have real hair and can be styled and played with like you have real hair. My first time going into a real wig store and sitting down and getting help finding a style and color that suited me was a wonderful experience (thanks to Sarah and Kate!) and worth the nerves of admitting what I was looking for.

As a teen, I had such beautiful dark blond hair with natural highlights, shoulder length, being told by women how much they envied me was a frequent experience. Sadly, as I've gotten older, it's thinned out more than I'd like, and it's no longer that beautiful combination of colors. So, I wear a wig. Luckily, wigs.com has sales frequently, so I can keep a few 'in stock' in a some different colors. But my favorite is still the same color I had when I was young, it 'brings me back' to a time when I probably could have passed (except for the feet; damned giant clodhoppers!).
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

the happy camper
    Sometime between first grade and second grade I started refusing to let my parents cut my hair. In my second grade school picture, it was on my shoulders. I continued to wear it long all through my school years. When I was 18, my barber pointed out a quarter-size bald spot on the back of my head. From there, it was all down hill.

Growing up with long hair (and having full lips and large brown eyes with long lashes) I was often mistaken for a girl. Those features definitely enhanced my dressing when I was a teen. If I still had that full head of luxurious wavy brown hair that I had then, I would feel much more femme, and consquently I would be more comfortable going out dressed. I envy those of you who have that option.

I've told this story before but will continue to bore yo'all w/ it.

I'd been letting my hair grow for years and when it really got long I'd get comments about how scraggly it looked. I finally 'fessed up to my stylist and asked if she would do it differently if I wanted a feminine cut. Of course, she said, though it took her a second to recover from the shock. That was in July.

It's coming along nicely now and I'm starting to be able to do some different things w/ it. I'm really happy that I had that conversation w/ my stylist. Besides, I hate wigs!

Girl in disguise Emily Ann Brown's Avatar
    No more wigs for me. I no longer worry about the wig shifting or going byebye. Please I feel like Em all the time because I don't have to "CHANGE INTO HER".

Em
    Living with a heel in each world.

I am letting it grow, I've had comments that I do look more natural with my own, even though short at the moment, hair.

Since I live in Phoenix and it's typicaly 100 deg all through summer and 70's & 80's the rest of the year - my preference is to NOT wear a fur coat on my head.
    My own hear is long past my shoulders, but I still at little clip on extensions to add fullness sometimes.

Hi girls

I used to love having a curly perm years ago but, tempus fugit, too thin now so wig it has to be... My perm was so easy to look after and I miss that.

xx Polly R

I have been letting my own hair grow for more than a year and have been getting it styled in a feminine way for the past 6 months or so. It's nice to go out in my own hair when it is to an outdoor event or if it is very hot. I still have a couple of wigs and enjoy wearing them in the winter when it is cooler or to an indoor event.
    It just depends on the weather and the event and it is nice to have the choice to go either way.

I am using my own hair now and I feel more confident when out and about.

I prefer wigs because of the instant gratification, always the same result and you can find the style that works for your face etc. I have been letting my hair grow and it is now down to my shoulders, but I have some male pattern on my temples, so I just look like a guy with long hair, however, I've been experiementing with clip in extensions and I've got to say, the volume and length added changes my appearance completely. If I can cover up my temples enough, the look is pretty natural. I could use a stylist to make it all perfect, but it does give me some options. Not sure if it boosts my confidence, because when the wind kicks up all that I'm trying to hide becomes obvious, unlike with a wig, however, the natural part probably helps.
    Chickie

.. i bought a flatiron and did my hair.. its the first time i had long hair.. its the longest length its ever been .. and i felt the thrill of having a great straight look... it was fantastic... ive been growing it for a year.. and its finally getting there.

Banned Read only
    A wig is a must for me. There's not much hair left on my head. So, there's absolutely no chance to grow my gray hair longer. I bought my first wig when I was about 35. It was a shoulder length brunette wig. It was just before Halloween so I told the sales clerk that it was for a Halloween costume. I think she did believe me. My next wig was a shorter curly blond wig. The sales clerk did not speak much English, so I did not get a read on my Halloween story. Now, I would not think my Halloween story would not hold much water. I thank the gods for eBay. I purchased a shoulder length gray wig with a little curl to the ends. It actually complements my age. Somehow the reflections in the various mirrors around the house would not be the same with my slowly disappearing natural gray hair! The longer length wig also helps obscure that dreaded Adam's apple. My paternal grandmother and one of her sons both passed on in their eighties with their original jet black hair. Unfortunately I took after the other side of the gene pool.

Young Senior Citizen Elsa Larson's Avatar
    My head is too big for most men's hats SO finding feminine wigs that fit is almost impossible without getting something custom made. Plus, I hate stretch-wig headache.

I have yet to get a hairstyle appropriate for a woman my age so mine looks like old-fat-biker hair in guy mode.

I have been coloring my hair with a temporary color that lasts a few weeks.

I just discovered clip-on hair that turns a plain pony into an elegant updo.
    What's between your legs and what you like to do with it is your business, not mine. Please give me the same courtesy.
    Everyone who refers to sexuality as a preference reveals their own bisexuality.
    I hope to live long enough to see a time when one's sexuality or gender identity is no more important than one's religion or politics.
    DO link up with your local support group. It's an easy way to meet similar people, help others, educate the public and be part of the political process.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tallelsa/