Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crossing legs

mary

crossing legs

is there some exercise or technique to crossing your legs, having a problem with this and would like to cross them.

xxxxoooo mary
    mary

You can exercise all you want but you have two genetic issues to overcome. One. Womens legs are pinned further apart to make room for the birth canal so they can cross their legs at the knees because they come from a greater angle while yours are almost parallel.. (Parallel lines don't cross btw! Lol). And two... Your have an extra something in the way! Hahaha

I play ice hockey and my legs are pretty slim and muscular and I can get pretty close... Good luck.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Karen is correct in her assesment. I've been able to accomplish it by practice. Much easier if you keep the boys tucked in tight. To practice, always sit with knees close together. When you cross your legs, try to get the back of the knee on the leg you are crossing to rest directly over the top of your other knee. Learn to walk with legs closer together. By walking and sitting like women do, your muscles will strengthen differently to allow you to cross your legs. Aalso, if you are thin, it will be much easier than if you are heavy. Heavy or overweight women have difficulity crossing their legs too.

I can easily cross my legs at the knees when I am wearing a skirt or dress, but if I'm wearing pants it's more difficult due to the squeezing of the "boys" below. I do have a wide pelvis. Also in a skirt or dress I keep my legs together, but that is difficult with pants for the reason mentioned above.

[Added section]
    Whenever I wear a skirt or dress I instinctively cross my legs at the knees or keep them together. I also brush the back of my skirt when I sit down.
    [/Added section]

So, if you want to cross your legs more easily at the knees, don't wear pants!
    Last edited by JohnH; 11-11-2010 at 12:28 PM.
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

Quite unrelated to cross dressing I've found that yoga helps in this and a wide variety of flexibility issues. I've been doing yoga for about three years and now just naturally cross my legs at the knee. "Hip openers" are great for this.

By the way, yoga clothes are great casual wear.

'the boys' don't occupy that much room; whether you can comfortably cross your legs at the knees is either a yes or now situation. When I was younger, I could do it; now, with arthritis, I can't. Do what is comfortable. If you can't cross, just keep your legs together; that's what I do. Takes practice to do it automatically, though.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Tucking and practice are what have worked for me.
    ColleenW

Practice is right. You can drop the leg over the knee and slowly push it down so the back of the knee is touching the top of the thigh. I also force my foot around my calf to stretch the leg into position so that when I don't do that, it is more comfortable crossed at the knee.

A woman's legs are much less muscular, and are attached to the hip differently, as Karen points out, but not "wider". As a consequence they are angled differently and it is easier and less stressful on the tendons to hold the knees together. I don't think the package if well stowed is really an issue.

I have always been able to cross my legs and even double cross it without much effort. But my legs have always been thin, less muscular and when I hold my knees together they look like a woman's rather than a guys.

Losing muscle tone in your legs and some weight might help and then just exercising to stretch your tendons the right way.
    "Never forget the many ways there are to be human" (The Transsexual Taboo)

Great News........

Hi Mary,

Your question was, "Is there some exercise or technique to crossing your legs"? In my opinion nothing is better than visual "coaching", and you can get that by going to www.femimage.com and buying the CD on feminine movement Basic Vol 1 from a lady (GG) by the name of Denae Doyle. I have had the privledge of meeting her in person (SCC) and she is wonderful! There is a variety of instructional videos that you can purchase on her website, and they are worth every penny for those of us who want to do more than just "dress the part".

Suzanne
    Transtronaut

You must first find yourself before you can discover your future-

Gold Member
    Yeah it is akward feeling at first. Practice.
    Plus it helps if your legs are not overly large. Drop a few pounds.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Banned Read only
    I do not think there is really any hidden secret to crossing one's legs. I'm 6 foot and 200 pounds, but, HTW proportioned. I never practiced and have never had a problem crossing my legs. Of course, I have to watch out I do not squeeze the family jewels, but, that is nothing more than positioning them correctly. Obviously I've been around women all my life and I have never seen an overweight woman crossing her legs at the knees. If you have 'thunder thighs' it ain't goin' happen. Remembering to sit with one's knees together while sitting is probably more of a challenge. Most guys just let the knees fall apart. Women are going to keep their knees together to make sure their panties and stocking tops are not showing, unless they're trying to send a come hither message!

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    It is easier when tucked, but if you are not already "wired" to cross your legs easily it will simply take time doing it over and over. The body will eventually accomodate.

tina

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    Must be my shape or something, but I have no trouble crossing my legs. Never have really, even when the "family jewels" were larger (prior to HRT).
    There is a road—no simple highway—between the dawn and the dark of night.
    And if you go no one may follow. That path is for your steps alone.

I can cross my legs and even double cross but that is thru years of practice and exercise. I have thin thighs and I guess that makes it easier for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    You can exercise all you want but you have two genetic issues to overcome. One. Womens legs are pinned further apart to make room for the birth canal so they can cross their legs at the knees because they come from a greater angle while yours are almost parallel.. (Parallel lines don't cross btw! Lol). And two... Your have an extra something in the way! Hahaha.
    Karren is right. Women's pelvises and femur joints are more spread apart in order to get that little baby's head out of the cervix during childbirth, which means there is much greater articulation in all directions.
    that makes it easier for women to cross their legs, and twist them in a very natural way.

Men, however, are not gifted this way.

Living Dead Girl Schatten Lupus's Avatar
    I found it gets easier with practice. However if you notice when some women cross their legs, the leg that is over the other does stick out to some degree, and doesn't rest parallel to the other leg. But with practice, and exercises that promote flexibility, it will get easier.
    Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein

Quote Originally Posted by Schatten Lupus View Post
    I found it gets easier with practice. However if you notice when some women cross their legs, the leg that is over the other does stick out to some degree, and doesn't rest parallel to the other leg. But with practice, and exercises that promote flexibility, it will get easier.
    Yeah, but with any comfort?
    Is this a default position for you?

sitting on the opposite butt cheek of the top crossed leg , for instance, left over right , sit on right cheek and lean to right helps me

Silver Member
    Some folks cannot physically cross their legs no matter what they do. I have short thick legs and it would be impossible for me to ever cross them. Some GGs have the same problem.

If you cannot cross your legs, cross them at the ankle and try to keep your knees together (as some large and/or short GGs do.) If you cannot leave them crossed at the ankle comfortably, put your knees and ankles together and keep the legs parallel and pull your skirt down a bit as you sit if you can (again as some larger and/or short GGs do.)

I worked at it for a long time and it was difficult... now I can do it and I am amazed... so i guess practice is the key.

Being thin and flexible helps immensely.

I have to admit, I've never had a problem with sitting with my legs crossed, I'm sitting here now with them crossed, and have done since before I worked myself out. I've never sat splayed out for the world to see like most men tend to do. I wonder if it's because I did this from a young age that I can achieve it as a normal kind of state.
    Save the internet - use recycled pixels
    The Only Tag that is worth having is the one for the dress you're looking at buying - and even that's not always 100% correct

Used to sit with my legs crossed all the time. Was able to keep the boys out of the way easily. Now since I've had two hip replacements my doc says no leg crossing.
    Dana Fleming

Quote Originally Posted by marykrissmithcd View Post
    Karen is correct in her assesment. I've been able to accomplish it by practice. Much easier if you keep the boys tucked in tight. To practice, always sit with knees close together. When you cross your legs, try to get the back of the knee on the leg you are crossing to rest directly over the top of your other knee. Learn to walk with legs closer together. By walking and sitting like women do, your muscles will strengthen differently to allow you to cross your legs. Aalso, if you are thin, it will be much easier than if you are heavy. Heavy or overweight women have difficulity crossing their legs too.
    Mary brings an exellent point folks ! I too have used "Pencil skirts to help and of course , "Seat time" is all important !