Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's worth more: $160 or staying in the closet?

What's worth more: $160 or staying in the closet?

That's the question on my mind at the moment.

It's the end of the university year tomorrow (Sat), and after my jury service here in Dunedin next week, I'll be heading home to my parent's for the summer, returning late February. I also have to vacate my dorm as my lease expires on Sunday 28th.

Here's the problem - I don't want to come out to my parents, and I can handle 16 weeks without CDing (for goodness sakes - I didn't crossdress for 18.5 years, so 16 weeks is puny). So I have almost finished packing my stuff into 2-3 boxes, and decided to walk down to the nearby self-storage to see how much it would cost. They said they could fit it, but it would be $10pw. Hopefully you can work out that is $160 +locks and insurance - which is a lot of money (unless you fork out on champagne and caviar, $160 is sufficient to by a week's groceries for a couple).

I'm looking at another self-storage across town (which fortunately enough has a $50 of your first month coupon that I can "borrow" from the dorm's Yellow Pages), but it still comes down to one question.

What's worth more: $160 for 3.5 months self-storage, or staying in the closet from my parents?
    Jeremy Corbett: "News this week - the wedding of the century. We all knew it was just a matter of time, and finally, the day is here."
    [Paul Ego and Dai Henwood walk out dressed as bride and groom respectively]
    Paul Ego: "I'm only doing this because I'm pregnant."

Two of my loves combined: New Zealand current affairs comedy game show 7 Days, and crossdressing.

Can you just tape up the boxes, mark them "books" or "papers" or something like that and store them at your parents?

LUV! New Zealand - spent a lot of time in Christchurch.

Debby

Honestly, I wish I had found a way to come out to my dad when I was young. On his deathbed I found out he also crossdressed. I missed a huge opportunity to bond with my dad in a very special way. Personally I feel it's a genetic trait. If I'm right, there's a chance it's coming to you from your mom or dad. Might be a good time to explore family roots. Maybe your dad is hiding it too. Or, maybe he or your mom hasn't told you about a mysterious ancestor, such as a grandfather or great-grandfather. You never know what you'll discover. If I were in your shoes, doing it over, I'd come out, because the risk to me would be worth it if it were my mom and dad. My son's now 21 and in college and he knows about me, and he told me he does as well.

All the best to you!

Hugs,
    Ann

I kind of go with Debglam - except I would just tell your folks your holding on to them for a classmate ( Heck, classmate could be female. Why not) that is traveling and won't be back till school starts again. Your just doing her a favor and saving storage fees.

Living Dead Girl Schatten Lupus's Avatar
    I too would just tape the boxes up, label it as something your parents won't be inclined to look at, and keep the boxes as out of site as much as possible. Or depending on what you are storing and how much, you might be able to get a large duffel bag to store everything in, and put it with the rest of your bags and boxes that you will be putting up anyways while you are staying at your parents.
    Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein

Even better, tape the boxes up and write 'Alyssa' on the boxes. Just say you are holding them for your friend so she will save $160 in storage fees. ;-)
    Chickie

Quote Originally Posted by Chickhe View Post
    Even better, tape the boxes up and write 'Alyssa' on the boxes. Just say you are holding them for your friend so she will save $160 in storage fees. ;-)
    Excellent idea! Do you own a car, Alyssa? The boxes could spend the summer in your boot.

Quote Originally Posted by clayfish View Post
    Excellent idea! Do you own a car, Alyssa? The boxes could spend the summer in your boot.
    Unfortunately, no. The best places I can think of storing it safely at home would be under my bed, in the wardrobe, or in the Harry Potter cupboard. The only major problem now is how to get it home: my parents (or one of my parents) is/are coming down with the car to get me home!

P.S. the second quote was $78 per month - no thanks!
    Jeremy Corbett: "News this week - the wedding of the century. We all knew it was just a matter of time, and finally, the day is here."

Two of my loves combined: New Zealand current affairs comedy game show 7 Days, and crossdressing.

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    Check with some of your friends who rent house's (frat house, sorrority house) etc. , buy a footlocker from Sears, with a lock, and offer your friend 20 bucks for summer storage.
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

job? rent your own place?
    if not spend the cash or just box up and tape shut.
    keep in your room at your parents place.
    tell them?
    jump into the car with your dad with a cute skirt and top on. and say home is a great place like nothing is wrong....then let him ask the questions. it is going to be a long drive home right??

Kelly - most leases in Dunedin are 52 weeks fixed term, running from 1 Jan to 31 Dec. Also, most first years (of which I am one) live in residential halls - only in the second year do they go "flatting" and end up signing a $170 per week per person joint and several lease before they even get their exam results!

And there is no Sears, or a direct equivalent, in New Zealand. the closest I can think of is The Warehouse (but that's more like a Wal-Mart/Target)

Loni - I currently don't have a summer job (I have to get home first), and I don't rent my own place (other than my dorm until 28 November).

It's a long drive: a 9hr drive from Dunedin to Picton, then a 3hr 15min ferry across Cook Strait to Wellington, and then another 1hr 20min drive to my parent's house, which is near Masterton.

I'm still undecided on what approach to take, but it was a point of contention over dinner - i swear half the "female" customers at KFC were crossdressers. (Either that, or girls around here have really dropped in standards recently - no offence!)

You have spent time to accumulate your "special things". I think you should just bite the bullet and pay the $160 and be done with it. You will probably put more effort into worrying about making the decision than going home and trying to find a good job. Good luck.

All I can add is that when I was your age, I purged a few times only to really miss some of the things I had accumulated. Unless your parents are really nosy, they aren't going to want to open up a fully taped box that is marked "books and notes". Just make sure that the weight of the box matches the label on it. Just put the box in the car, make sure you take it out and then put it in the back corner of your closet. If you have other boxes you won't open while home, put them on top of the box with your things. Then relax and enjoy your time off. Your parents will be more interested in you and your experiences at school than what is in a sealed box containing "normal school stuff".

Leann
    Leann

Enjoy who you are but stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickhe View Post
    I think that's a great idea. They will not be going through a stranger's stuff.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

I saw fabulous suggestions here . I like the taping boxes , borrow storage and the like..........

If you want to be extra safe just buy a cheap holdall or suitcase , with a lock put the stuff in there then put it in the box and tape it up. Then if you say you are holding it for a friend. And some one does open the box by mistake , there will not find things just loose. As that will attach attention as it will look like someone else,s suitcase

Hi there
    years ago i used boxes and put the clothing in and topped it with some books and folders,marked the box with the type of books i had in them,then taped them up.you need to put a layer of mags or books at the bottom of the box also

Re-read everything and realised two things:
    * i can pay monthly on the storage via automatic payment - a $40 payment monthly is much better than a $160 lump payment
    * my contents insurance policy covers items in storage, so as long as I remember to renew it in February, I don't need insurance.

Plus as my parents don't see my credit card statement, It would be much easier than having to take it home to my parents - chances are very likely she'll unpack the box!

Quote Originally Posted by alyssaenglefield View Post
    Plus as my parents don't see my credit card statement, It would be much easier than having to take it home to my parents - chances are very likely she'll unpack the box!
    I had this exact same thing happen to me (stored my boxes off-site for months, got careless and brought them home, then arrived the next day to see *everything* was repackaged by mom the night prior). So it doesn't hurt to be cautious. For what it's worth though, having her finally know was like a huge weight off my back.

I'm a huge supporter of the storage unit concept! A 6x6 "closet" of your own is great when you are in the "closet".

Also find the long halls typical in a storage facility are a great "catwalk" to try out those new heels (be sensitive of security camera locations though, if you are shy).
    Bart: "So Milhouse, what's it feel like riding a girl's bike?"
    Milhouse: "Disturbingly comfortable!"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robynbrianna/

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn B View Post
    I'm a huge supporter of the storage unit concept! A 6x6 "closet" of your own is great when you are in the "closet".

Also find the long halls typical in a storage facility are a great "catwalk" to try out those new heels (be sensitive of security camera locations though, if you are shy).
    You do realise that i'm self-storing it in Dunedin, not Masterton. They're 860km/535mi from each other. Unless I can explain where I have gone for a few days, it is highly unlikely I'll dress in the next 16 weeks.

Vaccumm storage bags are a must for long term storage, wouldn't want moths etc eating your expensive stash!

I like the friend's box idea. She lives out of the country and can't take the stuff on the airplane, so she asked you to hold them. Possible love interest.... etc.
    Mary

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Leave everything in plain sight!

I do this ALL THE TIME at my house!
    Recently, my daughter found some of Sherry's "props" I left out after a session. Simply told her some kids left them in our yard and I was giving them to Goodwill!

Quote Originally Posted by "Mary" View Post
    I like the friend's box idea. She lives out of the country and can't take the stuff on the airplane, so she asked you to hold them. Possible love interest.... etc.
    A locked chest, or heavily taped box says, "I'm HIDING SOMETHING!"

A sloppily packed box, loosely closed, with a female's name crudely markered on it, will most likely remain undisturbed! Even if your mom will peek. If it's all ladies gear, mixed with books, maybe a few ladies magazines, she won't bother with it! If u could get a female friend's class papers or projects to throw in there, she'd be SOLD! Maybe u can find someone's discarded notes in a trash bin?

AND, u won't have explain taking at ALL back to school next semester! But, U will have to hide your "D" breast forms somewhere ELSE!
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 11-12-2010 at 10:19 PM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Spent all of today packing and rearranging my room - only the essentials (1/3 of my male clothing, alarm clock, plate knife and fork, toiletries) still have to be packed.

However, it looks inevitable I'm going to have to put my crossdressing stuff in storage - aside from my crossdressing stuff, already I have:

1x large suitcase
    2x apple boxes
    2x banana boxes
    2x rubbish bags (clothes)
    a low shelf unit (size of banana box)
    a modular drawer (size of banana box)
    a clothes horse
    a 45L recycling bin
    a washing basket
    an overnight duffle bag
    a backpack

Plus two adults (me + dad) and an additional overnight bag, all to fit into a car similar to this one (just a brighter red):

800px-1996-1998_Toyota_Corolla_(AE102R)_RV_Seca_5-door_hatchback_05.jpg

So, some time tomorrow, I'm putting all but one item of my crossdressing stuff into storage until February.

And that one item going home - my wig. Not only is it my favourite item and makes me feel the most feminine, but it's the easiest item to explain - I accidentally left the wig stand out when my parents came down in August, and "it was just natural to buy a wig for it" (and shampoo).
    Last edited by alyssaenglefield; 11-14-2010 at 02:53 AM. Reason: clarify