Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Out

First Time Out

I went out in public for the first time this evening. I know it's probably not significant to anyone but me, but I have to tell someone.
    I have a few days alone and I have been working at getting the make-up right so that the beard doesn't show through and my face doesn't look like something from La Cage aux Folles.
    Anyway, it's Canada, it's winter, so it gets dark right after it gets light. I wore leggings and a knit long top under a sweater jacket.
    There is a village near me that is having it's annual Art exhibits, most of them along the main street. I drove over, parked on the side street and walked along the main street, looking in the shop windows.
    Lesson learned; my heels were too high for the walk and the rest of the outfit. I should have stayed with the flats, or worn a dress.
    Otherwise, in the gathering dusk of a Canadian fall evening, I wasn't noticed by anyone. They were all too involved in themselves.
    An anti-climactic milestone....
    Sarah M..,
    Women's clothes? I don't put them on, I just grew into them.
    http://sarahjanus.wordpress.com
    www.facebook.com/sarah.m.janus

Not so new of a girl Missy Tanya's Avatar
    Still thrilling wasn't it.. Now look out, your addicted!! Congrats on your first of many steps out of the house.

Tanya

Just heading out the door my self, but heading for a little club in San Diego. Hope you enjoyed your self! Don't be shy most people are to busy with there owen world to worry about yours.

Best wishes Robin Lee

Congratulations!
    So many times others are caught up in what they are doing. If you try to make eye contact and smile you may get noticed a bit more, but be careful what you wish for.

I know that at first I was sure I could never pass, but then when I did, it was great. The first time you're called Ma'am will be a day to remember. Keep on dressing!

Freddy

Aspiring Member
    Congrats Sarah!!! Anti-climactic or not that's such a huge milestone, you should be proud

Quote Originally Posted by KristinSkye View Post
    Congrats Sarah!!! Anti-climactic or not that's such a huge milestone, you should be proud
    I totally agree with what Kristin just said! It really is a huge thing to actually dress and leave the safety of your walls and live and move as you want to! It really is an achivement which needs to live as an anniversary on your calendar! There willl be many more times for you to go out but only one "First Time"

(and Halloween doesn't REALLY count! I refer to Halloween as "Amature Hour")

Congratulations, Girl!!!!

Empira
    "You can't handle the truth!!" -- Jack Nicholson in "A Few Good Men"

Gold Member
    Sarah, it is always significant when one of us gets out for the first time. Congratulations! Now you will be able to do it more and the concerns will be less and less. There are lots of wonderful times ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Michelle View Post
    I went out in public for the first time this evening. I know it's probably not significant to anyone but me, but I have to tell someone. . . . . . . An anti-climactic milestone....
    Hi Sarah -- Please know that the truth is that it is indeed significant to every one of us. Hugely significant. Those of us who have been out remember oh-so-clearly how terrifying it was, how we had to work up to it, how it terrified us, how thrilled we were, how amazed and pleased we were at how well it went, how thoroughly we reviewed and relived every moment for weeks, even months after. And those of us who haven't been out in public are exquisitely aware of how paralyzing the idea is. So what you have done for yourself is huge, and every one of us, regardless of where we are on the "experience spectrum," is delighted for you. Please share with us your thoughts a few days from now, when you've had some time to reflect on the experience -- we are eager to hear how you process and incorporate this new experience! And: we are very proud of you! Hugs - Diane

I don't think it's anti-clamactic at all because it will most likely lead to many more experiences out. And you're in for some glorious times.
    The lessons learned are valuable ones indeed because they help us perfect our presentation which in turn makes us more acceptable to the public.

Congratulations.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DianeDeBris View Post
    Hi Sarah -- Please know that the truth is that it is indeed significant to every one of us. Hugely significant. Those of us who have been out remember oh-so-clearly how terrifying it was, how we had to work up to it, how it terrified us, how thrilled we were, how amazed and pleased we were at how well it went, how thoroughly we reviewed and relived every moment for weeks, even months after. And those of us who haven't been out in public are exquisitely aware of how paralyzing the idea is. So what you have done for yourself is huge, and every one of us, regardless of where we are on the "experience spectrum," is delighted for you. Please share with us your thoughts a few days from now, when you've had some time to reflect on the experience -- we are eager to hear how you process and incorporate this new experience! And: we are very proud of you! Hugs - Diane

Every time one of us goes out for the first time it has an effect on all of the rest of us. As Diane says, those of us who are already out remember the heart-stopping moments before we went through the door that first time and are immensely encouraged when someone joins us. Those of us who haven't yet ventured out can get a feel for how it goes and this might give some that extra bit of courage they had been looking for to enable them to follow in your footsteps.

IMNSHO, the heels are only wrong if you can't walk in them or you hurt your feet by being out in them for so long - and even then they are only wrong for you in those circumstances.

As for it being an anticlimax, I think that is simply the relief talking after you have discovered that the sky didn't fall on your head after all
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Great story Sarah and very important to us all. Don't be shy raising this, as we all need the encouragement all friends give us on here. Well done, and make sure you do it more.

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    The first time is always special. Now you have a whole new world to explore.
    Have fun!
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Add me to the list of people who think what you did was great. Don't mistake an outting that went well as being anti-climactic. The fact that you have extended your threshold well beyond the closet door is wonderful and should be listed as one important milestone in your personal journey.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

I was lucky to be able to go out my first time with a group of other t-girls in a big city. Of course we were at TG friendly places. I'll never forget how it felt to be out in public. Now I'm hooked and have the confidence to go out alone. Of course I still stay in areas that except gorls like me. I'm not able to pass on a day to day basis and I've learned to accept that as well, knowing that I still appeal to those who prefer girls like me.

I went out in public for the first time this evening. I know it's probably not significant to anyone but me, but I have to tell someone.
    I have a few days alone and I have been working at getting the make-up right so that the beard doesn't show through and my face doesn't look like something from La Cage aux Folles.
    Anyway, it's Canada, it's winter, so it gets dark right after it gets light. I wore leggings and a knit long top under a sweater jacket.
    There is a village near me that is having it's annual Art exhibits, most of them along the main street. I drove over, parked on the side street and walked along the main street, looking in the shop windows.
    Lesson learned; my heels were too high for the walk and the rest of the outfit. I should have stayed with the flats, or worn a dress.
    Otherwise, in the gathering dusk of a Canadian fall evening, I wasn't noticed by anyone. They were all too involved in themselves.
    An anti-climactic milestone....
    Sarah..I am so glad for you..now you have opened up a whole new world for yourself..I did it myself a couple of weeks ago, I went up to Wells Maine for the weekend and let Joann come out of the dloset for the entire weekend..I can't wait to go again
    Hugs
    Joann

Good for you. I am glad that you found the courage to experience the outside world.
    Michelle

Formerly Deborah Whitney
    It *is* addicting, isn't it?

And yeah, discovering that most people have their heads quite far up their own ... backsides ... and can't afford the attention to others.

Aspiring Member Michelle Crossfire's Avatar
    have not gone out yet. not ready to. still trying to figure out my wife's feelings on this right now.

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    have not gone out yet. not ready to. still trying to figure out my wife's feelings on this right now.
    That's going to be a doozy. Maybe attempt to talk her into going out en femme with her to a movie or a restaurant or a club. Has she accepted this side of you yet?

Sara Michelle wrote:
    That's the result I keep getting....shopping malls with lots of kids and plenty of mirrors up& down the escalator, restaurants, book stores, grocery stores. So far I
    have not had anything bad happen yet.
    Last edited by NathalieX66; 11-15-2010 at 11:24 PM.

Aspiring Member Michelle Crossfire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NathalieX66 View Post
    That's going to be a doozy. Maybe attempt to talk her into going out en femme with her to a movie or a restaurant or a club. Has she accepted this side of you yet?

Sara Michelle wrote:

That's the result I keep getting....shopping malls with lots of kids and plenty of mirrors up& down the escalator, restaurants, book stores, grocery stores. So far I
    have not had anything bad happen yet.
    Actually, I think she has. she has talked about getting me a wardrobe. at times, she even asks me to "dress up" for her.

you shouldn't think of it as insignificant. like others have said, it is inspirational to us all to see more of us coming out of the closet. most people are too busy to care and another high percentage have the decent upbringing not to say anything anyway. even if someone does say something, it still doesn't change who we are or how we are wired.

congratulations on your outing and keep us informed as you continue making your way.

Congratulations, kiddo!

Lallie
    Time for a change.

Wonderful! And VERY significant! I think that it will get better and better every time you venture out! Good for you!
    warmly, Linnea

I went out in public for the first time this evening. ....
    That's great Sarah. I'm so happy for you.

I have a plan for myself but a lot of things have to come together at once. When they do, I'll be able to report my first time out!
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Sarah, I would think it is significant to those of us who have ventured out. We have all had our first time out, and it is a moment none of us will forget, hopefully for all the right reasons.

The bad news is, it's addictive.

Please keep posting about your trips out, I love reading about other girls trips out.

Margaret.
    "She snuck up on me from behind. You'd think women would make more noise with those big high heels, but they don't, they've got this stealth thing going..."