Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freddy’s Polarizing Words!!!

Complex Lolita...

Freddy’s Polarizing Words!!!

[SIZE="2"]The same polarizing words (or terms) are bandied about day after day, week after week, and month after month. I thought I would put them all together for discussion and start the ball rolling. We all have our own opinions about the following:

Tranny
    I like the term, short for transvestite. I picked it up on a UK site and it stuck. The other day a GG member wondered if wearing baggy, male sweaters constituted crossdressing. Yes, by definition, which is why I prefer tranny to crossdresser – it specifies what I do quite nicely, thank you, and I transvest often. Crossdressing is a blanket term, perfectly correct for an all-encompassing site like this one. To some people, transvestites are males who dress in female clothing to have sex with other males. Not that it matters, but I beg to differ. I’ve heard the exact same definition for crossdresser, so what’s in a word? I admit that transvestite has a certain clinical chill to it, but “tranny” is downright cute and delightful...

Drag
    Drag, by definition, is a term used for any clothing carrying symbolic significance but usually referring to the clothing associated with one gender role when worn by a person of the other gender. Can you say “crossdressing?” The term may have originated in Athens, Greece in the fourth century BCE when it was common practice for gender-nonconforming people to be dragged through the streets as punishment. A late 20th-century definition makes "drag" an abbreviation of "dressed as girl" in description of male transvestism. Every time I hear the word drag, I immediately think a) “It’s a drag,” meaning not pleasant, b) I’m pulling someone or something somewhere, or c) where on Earth did this term come from, anyway? Well, now I know...

Drab
    Did you know that “drab” used to mean a prostitute? In our case, drab means “dressed as a boy,” or just plain dull and monotonous – you know, lacking brightness. Wearing your male clothing is an act of drabness, carrying with it an attendant feeling of mental torture as we dream of the next moment we can blissfully be en femme. I see that drab is also a dull, yellowish color, and this is just one of the many unexciting hues you can look forward to as you choose your male wardrobe. If a man wears brightly colored clothing in the real world it carries with it certain curious...connotations. Are you prepared to explain your chromatic apart-ness to all concerned? Even if you wear a little bit of color, on the wrong occasion, in front of the wrong people, you may be suspect. This is precisely why individuality is a good thing, I feel...

Fetish
    This is any object, animate or inanimate, regarded with a feeling of awe, as if it has magical powers. If you give excessive devotion or blind adoration to this venerated object, you are a practicing fetishist. Fetish can also mean any nonsexual object that excites erotic feelings, which leads to fetishism. We MtF cossdressers discuss our many fetishes all the time, be they nylons, panties, dresses, heels, or whatnot. Personally, I worship my skirts, and I believe they have magical powers. This comes from a lifetime of having to wear pants! It’s always a pleasure to wear one’s fetish and feel transformed. Of course, I think it’s all in the mind, exactly the place that needs healing and comforting the most...

Sissy
    A sissy is a boy or a man whose behavior, tastes, or interests seem more feminine than masculine. With this in mind, I am a sissy – my tastes and interests are more feminine than masculine. I wear women’s clothing, and that changes my behavior in ways that can only be described as welcome. Hooray! Sure, I’m still a male, with a certain amount of masculinity, but I embrace my inherent sissy-ness. Does this mean I’m a target for bullies? Of course, but I’ll take my chances, since the benefits outweigh the sacrifices. Do I wish to be like everyone else? No. To quote an absent friend, “You haven’t met a boy like me.” Please don’t be afraid of the word sissy.

Effeminate
    You knew this was coming next, right? This means having qualities generally attributed to women, such as gentleness, delicacy, and tenderness. If you are male, and non-confrontational by nature, you are perceived as effeminate, or unmanly. A sissy practices effeminacy, and you can see that wearing women’s clothing may be a step along the path to effemination. If you’re like me, the crossdressing or tranvestism is a result of innate effeminacy – I’m not sure if you can become effeminate by crossdressing alone, but, well, this is a polarizing term that bothers some people. Whenever I hear the term, I immediately think of effeminate gestures and the associations they create in the mind of un-enlightened outsiders, but if you’re trying to talk, or walk, or be like a female, aren’t you engaged in effeminacy?

Fairy
    A fairy is an imaginary being or spirit – a small, dainty, delicate human being. It also means (as an outdated slang term) a male homosexual. In today’s world, it’s no good trying to be a delicate human being, and, if you are practicing effeminacy (see above) you will be labeled a "fairy" by those who wish to do you harm. I would dearly love to flutter about the forest in a pretty dress and a pair of delicate fairy wings, waving my magic wand as I float from place to place, but you’re just not allowed to do that in this day and age. Fairyland is a lovely, enchanting place, all in my mind, of course, and I am not supposed to be a fairy. Talk about stigma! This is why I have such a problem with the word “manly,” even though its meaning could be endlessly discussed by all. Fairy is a beautiful word, IMHO, and it sounds like a good occupation for a person like me. In fact, if I were a little boy, knowing what I know now, I would lobby to go out on Halloween dressed as a fairy, not a princess...

Queer
    Not my favorite word, not by a long shot. Other than the obvious, it means strange or odd; behaving, acting, or appearing in a manner other than the ordinary, normal, or usual manner. If you are singular, eccentric, droll, unique, whimsical, quaint, or strange, you are queer. My overt queerness is obvious to everyone, since I am an effeminate transvestite, and I’m pleasingly droll. I’m also eccentric and unique, so “normal” is a dirty word. Speaking of words, “droll” means humorously odd, or amusing in a quaint way. A comical person is a drollist: a person who practices drollery, which brings us back to drag, an amusing form of transvestism most people are familiar with. Am I queer? Of course, but not in the traditional, currently accepted definition of the word. Or am I? Since I’m odd, whimsical, quaint, and strange, I’ll keep you all guessing...

Polarize
    Let’s look at this word, since it has gained new meaning and popularity in recent times. Polarity means having or showing two contrary qualities, powers, or tendencies. It also means to think, feel, or grow in a certain way, because of (magnetic) attraction or repulsion. For the sake of discussion we can dispense with magnetism and think of two opposite poles – one positive, one negative. In other words: black and white, light and dark, right and wrong. As far as I’m concerned, there’s a lot of territory between the two opposites, or two diametrically distinct viewpoints. I live in this “grey*” area, somewhere near the equator, and I can see where everyone is coming from – words are just words, and it’s interesting to look into these terms we disagree on. I may not share your opinion, but I value it, and I seek to generate meaningful discussion, not conflict. Please tell me how you feel about these polarizing words or terms that we crossdressers hear every day. Keep in mind that I’m an effeminate, queer, and fairy-like sissified tranny who despises drab and wears his/her fetishes with pride, so please don’t drag me through the streets, OK?

*Check it out – an effeminate way to write “gray!”
    [/SIZE]

Interesting... I do hate most of those words. Sadly, that is the word set we are stuck using. My biggest isse with those words are; Male and female are on a continum, no one is 100% male or 100% female. We all sit on a different place. Those words have a finite definition applied to a sliding scale... not a good match.

I believe words used in earlier times would be helpful in understanding the origins of the words used in this short glossary. Wikipedia fop, (not Fraternal order of Police) dandy, (masculine and feminine) and macaroni (not the food). It makes for interesting reading. In Tao and in part Zen to label things is to limit them. Think of it in terms of the more we try to describe or name something the more we place limits to it. As was previously said we are who we are so why place a name to it to limit it.

I have been thinking that we need some sort of nomenclature Wiki. Maybe this thread will be a good start.

I agree that most of the words above should not be considered derogatory.

One stand-out is "tranny" because it is slang. To me, tranny means trans-something, including transvestite, transgender, and transsexual. So, it seems useful.

As for DRAG and DRAB, I think they need to be written all-caps if the intended meaning is "DRessed As Girl" and "DRessed As Boy". That should avoid confusion with alternate meanings.

Unfortunately, most words will develop negative connotations to some people. I think that "retarded" was invented as a friendly replacement for "idiot", but now is just as bad. Eventually, people will start to hate the word "special", and we will have to choose something else.

The issue is not so much what words we choose, but increasing public acceptance so that the words won't be used abusively.
    Juno Michelle Krahn

Normal people are weird. Stealth is another word for "in the closet".

Frederique, WOW!

hugs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hugs, msniki48
    Blog
    http://nikishomeawayfromhome.spaces....x?sa=764853634

Thank you very much Ms Webster I think you are educating many on the words that seem to create drama here and other places. It is very easy to see how I fall into every one of those definitions in some manner. I think the real trouble will begin when people take exception to the conotations those words exact from the societal norms we all deal with daily. Those conotations apply a level of negativity that most just don't want to associate themselves with. "I crossdress but I'm not gay!!" The only reason to say this with emphasis is due to the negative labels society puts on things. "I wear heels but only at home!" "I drink alcohol but don't get drunk!" we can all justify why we do something that isn't perceived to follow what the majority of the population deems appropriate by making it less "bad." It is really masking the action we are doing by pointing out something is worse so ostricize them instead of me. It has to be some form of self preservation. I see this behavior at work everyday on more acceptable issues - "Why are you late?' "Well, Joe came in after me!" "Why did you put this here?" "I only put one of them there, someone else put the other two there." we try to protect ourselves by making someone else's actions seem worse than ours and then let them deal with the fall out that society puts on them for being more grossly different than what we are doing. Of course, what do I know. I only wear women's clothes...I'm not out robbing banks.

Hopefully people think robbing banks is worse than wearing women's clothes.

What about drag = "pulling against resistance" or " a slow inhalation"

or maybe drag = "lacking in liveliness, charm or surprise" "lacking in brightness or color"

I love literal meaning. It leaves the largest portal for interpretation. especially if spoken and with nuanced inflection. Could make any persons head spin.

The best word is "fairy" an elemental being associated with the air. Think dust devils for instance ....... now make the connection......

Now tranny: note this is various web definitions

Short form of transistor radio; Short form of transformer; A transgender person; Short form of transgender or transsexual; Transvestite; Short form of transmission in the automotive sense;

Both of these terms are used interchangeably with the word transmission. Basically, it's racer's slang.

The radial curved section of a halfpipe wall between the flat bottom and the vertical. A snowboarder pumps and rides the transition to gain speed, catch air, and to land.

We transmit, transform. transition, pump, ride, gain speed, catch air and land! Awesome, I didn't know I was sportivo and automotive

On that I have to have then
    Last edited by Kathryn Martin; 11-20-2010 at 11:03 AM.
    "Never forget the many ways there are to be human" (The Transsexual Taboo)

Great post--thanks!
    One remark on Queer. Seems pejorative to me, but there is an academic school of literary/social criticism called "Queer Theory", and I have encountered a few people who self-identify as queer, considering it a category rather than slang. Esoteric, but the idea is that male and female are insufficient to classify human behavior, and that expecting it oppresses a non-conforming minority. I guess this is some mix of androgyny and asexuality, so the adherents don't prefer to cross genders (trans) but deny or flout or blend them instead.
    Personally I now realize I'm polarized & androgynous, since I refuse to give up the handle bar mustache just so I can go out to a restaurant in a dress.
    Last edited by Lainie; 11-20-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Typo

Lainie

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!

Thanks for the etymological eye-opener

(Sorry for the 50 cent word, couldn't resist. For those of us who didn't spend years banging around in English classes, it means the story behind a word or phrase)

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    "*******", "he she", "ladyboy".

And chances are, somewhere along the way, someone will use "faggot", "fag", or "homo"

I've previously stated my apparent immunity to feeling ridiculed by words, but I did thing of one that pisses me off. Not sure it fits on the list.

Androgyne

The reason it pisses me off is that early on in my internet lurkings there was a person on a board, probably not even a TG board who had very long hair, wore makeup, dresses, earrings, heels, bras... you name it, but whenever the term "crossdresser" was thrown out, he was highly offended, and would forcefully state the he was NOT a crossdresser. He was an androgyne! Well excuuuuze me! Uhhhh, I was kind of thrown off by the hair, makeup, dresses, earrings, bra, heels... He obviously preferred a term that sounded a little more haughty than the lowly dispicable crossdresser. It came across like, "Ha! I spit upon you, lowly crossdresser! I am a mighty androgyne!" Kind of sounds like some Star Trek warrior.

Hey! I may adopt that self-righteous moniker for myself and go on over to the Androgynes.com message board where I can feel superior. Let's see. What might one of those discussions be like... "I didn't choose these clothes, they chose me just so they could be nearer my awesome-ness!" Yeah, that's sounding better all the time!

Gosh, Frederique, I just love reading your posts. Your mastery of the language gives your thought a etherial feel.

Thank you.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I appreciate what you have done here Freddy. The power of language is incredible and if only a few of these concepts can be placed in general use it would be to our benefit. There are so many people who use powerful polarizing words while not really understanding them. Again, we are here inside the world of crossdressing and we pay attention to the words that are used, they could be our jargon. Just like mechanics, sports junkies, federal bureaucrats, hobbiests and fashionistas have theirs where they can identify members of their group with a few well placed words. However, those words are not ours alone and regardless of how we use them, they are part of the public domain and are tossed about in either careless or hurtful ways while we sit by quietly.

I look back at my growth over the last few years and how the words I use to define myself have changed. At first I didn't even have a word for it and all was dark, hidden, completly and totally closeted. Something that, since it had to be kept away from others, was a source of shame. As I began to open up a little and peek around I started to see references to others who were behaving in ways similar to me and they were Transvestites, and that was almost always a negative term, except by the Trannys themselves. I became part of a community and discovered a more neutral name for myself, Crossdresser. Not as clinical, just a statement of fact. Later I became Transgendered because it sounded academic and put me in an even larger community that included people who were successful in accepting their non-conforming selves. Hell, we even had a part of the acronym GLBT, how cool was that? As I've become more comfortable with this I slid back to Crossdresser. I'm not looking for explaination, only for opportunities to explore and grow, it's personal now, not academic or part of a community. Eventually, in fact even now I find myself toying with the thought of just being a Tranny. It sounds fun without baggage or much social stigma. People can overlook and not be judgemental over Trannies, maybe. It's also possible when an "outsider" uses the diminutive, they can view the Trannies as not worth respecting either, so I think I need to keep all the Polarizing words in my purse. Maybe even Androgyne, Just in case.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

the happy camper
    Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="black"]Please tell me how you feel about these polarizing words or terms that we crossdressers hear every day.
    I'll start with the last one first...

Polarize

I don't like this word. I think that when people accuse others of trying to polarize a debate, they are trying to win the argument without having to argue for their position.

If someone really wanted to polarize the people on this board, though, he would write a post praising the positive qualities of masculinity.

Tranny

Meh. I can take it or leave it. I don't get why some people find it insulting, but I presume it's the attitude behind its use that makes it so.

Sissy

Fairy

Queer

I hate the pejorative use of these words. I spent years trying to make sure no one could apply them to me. I've had it with the bullies who use them. I won't be intimidated by them any more.

Drag

I like this word. It's a good one. I think drag queens are awesome.

Drab

I dislike this word, because when I'm dressed as a boy I don't want to be drab. I still want to be colorful and/or dramatic. It can be done, and I feel bad for those who consider all male clothing to be drab.

Fetish

I think this word is waaaaay over-used. It doesn't just refer to things that you like or find sexually exciting. I think there's much more of an obsessive attitude towards fetish objects that goes far beyond the casual "yeah, that's hawt, but I can take it or leave it," attitude that people seem to have when they use the word.

Effeminate

Most men have some minor feminine traits, so how much femininity does it take to make one effeminate? And why does the word take this form, instead of just saying feminine? If a woman has male qualities, we don't say she's emasculate. We just say she's masculine. So why not just say that the guy is feminine? It almost seems like there's an extra amount of insult carried by the 'ef-'. I dunno.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by juno
    As for DRAG and DRAB, I think they need to be written all-caps if the intended meaning is "DRessed As Girl" and "DRessed As Boy". That should avoid confusion with alternate meanings.
    [SIZE="2"]I was thinking about this today. Since I’m dressed as a woman, shouldn’t I be DRAW? If I’m dressed as a man, wouldn’t I be DRAM? If Kathi Lake dresses as Kathi Lake (yay!), isn’t she DRAKL? How about Dressed Really Against Gender? Every time I hear DRAG, I wonder what I’m supposed to be dragging…
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie86
    I hate the pejorative use of these words [like QUEER]. I spent years trying to make sure no one could apply them to me. I've had it with the bullies who use them. I won't be intimidated by them any more.
    [SIZE="2"]For me, the problem with the word queer is its misuse. When someone calls you “queer,” they are intimating that something isn’t quite right, as if they have the authority to point out such discrepancies. I mean, who says? If you’re crossdressing, and it looks and feels right, where does this association with queerness fit in? Apparently, if you’re doing something you’re not supposed to be doing, you qualify as queer, but what if it’s a choice, or an expression, or an inevitability? I submit that queer is in the eyes and minds of the beholder, and nobody has the right to make such judgements. How come I’m queer, but another person’s behavior is “extreme,” or “insane,” and that’s perfectly OK? Here’s another thing that bothers me – how come you’re branded as “queer” or strange, or weird during your life, but once you’re deceased (and out of the way), you’re remembered as being interesting, different, pleasingly eccentric, or a unique individual? I think that kind of posthumous condescension is quite literally QUEER…
    [/SIZE]

In the Penn and Teller series Bu**sh*t they suggest there should be "INsensitivity" training not sensitivity training, so by making oneself totally insensitive to others insults one is free from the effects that others would put onto us by their insults.

After such a training none of us would even care what others said about us none of those words would have their intended effects, and it wouldn't even matter if they stopped.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

When I hear the word "tranny" I also think of small battery powered radios (Transistors) or a big van made by Ford!

Anything involving nomenclature for a group is going to cause "polarization" as there are a million different sub-groups, and people will of course disagree on the specifics. I'm personally not a huge fan of it, but if your going to lump people into groups it's important to remember the acronym KISS (Keep it simple stupid) Better to use broader categories, rather than try to create a title for the millions of different variations. Remember there can always be an "other" category.

Aspiring Member
    queer is also slang for counterfeit money--not genuine, real, so queer could be construed to mean not a genuine man (or woman). Queer can be "strange" as in something queer going on here, or it was a real queer thing that happened.. It is a good word that has lost it's useful meaning--just as awesome has--everything is now awesome so what is left when there is something truse awesome? nothing.
    Unfortunately the perjorative use is the most frequent.

nice post frederique! i loved the word tranny when i first saw it, but then i heard it offends some people. as for queer and sissy, i think it's not so much about the words as to how they're used and who uses them

These are not necessarily polarizing, but I think we need to work on better nomenclature.

Lesbain
    Lesbian is the term for people from the Greek island Lesbos. Some early poetry by a Lesbian wrote about homosexual females, and the idea developed that Lesbian women were often homosexual, and the term started to be used to describe any homosexual female. Many people from Lesbos find the misuse a bit insulting. (Visualize a masculine male fro Lesbos saying "Hi, I am Lesbian.") We should find a new word for female homosexual. Why not just use 'gay' for both genders?

Intersex
    A person that has a physical gender that is intermediate between male and female. These people have it tough, because they are essentially transgender whether they choose to present as male or female. Even worse, the medical community often treats it as a serious problem and mutilate the genitals shortly after birth, robbing the person the chance to choose their physical gender, which may be to remain physically intersex. When someone has a baby, you should ask if it is male, female, or intersex. You never know when it will be an opportunity to support an anxious parent.

Androgyne
    I didn't think this would be offensive to anyone, but a post above illustrates that any word can be offensive based on personal experience. Definition from Dictionary.com refers to androgynous, defined as "a being of ambiguous sexual identity; one that combines major aspects of both the male and the female." By definition, it really does not apply to someone who is gender-neutral, and has few traits that are strongly masculine or feminine. One problem with androgyne is that it is sometimes confused with androgen, which is a very different thing.

Intergender
    This is a fairly new word that is becoming more popular. Generally, 'gender' words apply more to the mental gender, and 'sex' words apply more to physical gender. The term intersex has long been established for intermediate physical gender. Intergender should apply primarily to someone with a mental gender that is not primarily male or female, but in between. Right now, the formal term for this is androgyne, which should only apply people with significant male and female traits. Intergender should apply to people who are more gender-neutral. Tests like the COGIATI should not just give an overall scale of male to female, but a gender histogram. Some people might have mostly neutral answers and score the same as someone with strongly male and female answers that balance out.

Gender Queer
    This is a more specific use of the term queer in the initial word list. In general, it means a person that doesn't fit into any of the standard gender terms. IMHO, it just shows that we need better nomenclature. However, I get the feeling that people who use the term gender queer do it because they don't want to fit into any pre-defined terminology. Technically, nobody fits a term 100%, so technically everybody is gender queer.
    Juno Michelle Krahn

Normal people are weird. Stealth is another word for "in the closet".

Gold Member
    [SIZE=2]How about Dressed Really Against Gender? Every time I hear DRAG, I wonder what I’m supposed to be dragging…[/SIZE]
    Everytime I hear it, I think someone isn't having a good time (what a drag...).

Quote Originally Posted by juno View Post
    Androgyne
    I didn't think this would be offensive to anyone, but a post above illustrates that any word can be offensive based on personal experience.
    I don't know if I would ever find it offensive, but since I started getting on message boards, this ranks as one of the most mis-used words in my opinion. I have read many messages like the one you are referring to where the writer had on woman's top, pants, shoes, panties, and a bra and stated they were androgynous because they didn't have make-up or a wig on. Strictly my take but where is the male aspect?

An overall comment is that we are bound by a language. So words can take many meanings to many people especially when it is the written word and not spoken. So I think that an effort to try and realize what the writer is saying instead of just getting upset because a particular (polarizing) word was used is a worthwhile effort. Think about those using sign language. They have far less to work with in terms of words but communicate so well. Why? I suspect it is because they are looking for the overall meaning instead of just taking each piece individually.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by juno
    I get the feeling that people who use the term gender queer do it because they don't want to fit into any pre-defined terminology. Technically, nobody fits a term 100%, so technically everybody is gender queer.
    [SIZE="2"]Yes, gender queer is a strange (queer?) term; much like gender-unspecific, but at least it specifies gender as the main topic. This means you can be eccentric and strange (in the eyes of others), yet gender-specific in all other ways. I agree that everyone defies categorization, but try telling an overtly masculine male he is gender queer, especially among his friends or peers – I don’t think the term would be welcomed, since “queer” carries a certain stigma with it…[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Sue
    I don't know if I would ever find it offensive [androgyne], but since I started getting on message boards, this ranks as one of the most mis-used words in my opinion.
    [SIZE="2"]Every time I hear the word androgyne I think of aubergine, which is an eggplant…

To me, an androgynous person’s gender is difficult to determine, even after a double-take or triple-take. He could be a she, or she could be a he, and it could have little or nothing to do with crossdressing or gender-queerness. I see it (androgyny) purely as a visual conundrum, a blurring of appearance characteristics that may or may not hint at issues of sexuality…

I thought of another polarizing word:

Fag
    I’m tired. I’m fagged out. I’ve been working like a slave, which is a synonym for fag. Skip ahead to our currently accepted definition for the word, which derives from this meaning: a boy, in certain English public schools, who does menial services for another boy of a higher form or class. He’s a slave, and he’s a fag, doing his wearisome tasks, whatever they may entail. Fag also means a cigarette, as in “Give us a fag, will you?” I heard that on Monty Python years ago. What is a faggot (or fagot)? It’s a bundle of sticks, a term of contempt for a shriveled old woman, and the punishment of burning at the stake (for heresy) – you need faggots for the latter. Whenever I’m picking up sticks in my back yard, I pile them near the shed and say, “Hello, faggots!” Well, I’m allowed to, since that is a correct, yet largely obsolete use of the word...

Don’t you think fag (or faggot) is a misused word? I’ve been called a fag many times, usually by males who let their lives be governed by polarized thinking. In this case, fag is a synonym for queer, sissy, or fairy – the ones who use the term liberally don’t stop to think about rampant generalization and its consequences. If I am queer to you in some way, I’m a fag, period. There will be no discussion. By a circuitous route, I am a slave to someone’s lack of insight or intelligence, and I’m not worthy of a second look. Too bad, but I’m not alone. Sometimes I think the word fag is used because it’s too difficult for some people to say homosexual, never mind crossdresser, transvestite, or androgyne. Just put them all in one basket, or bundle, like faggots
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by juno View Post
    We should find a new word for female homosexual. Why not just use 'gay' for both genders?
    I have never understood the need for a special term for homosexual females. We routinely use the term 'gay male' when it is relevant to indicate the male sex of homosexual; why don't we simply refer to a lesbian as a 'gay female'? Also, the acronym 'LGBT' seems excessively redundant. Doesn't the letter 'G' encompass both the 'L' and the 'B'? And why is 'LGBT' seemingly preferred over 'GLBT'? Does this reflect a chauvinistic "ladies first" attitude?

[SIZE="2"]Every time I hear the word androgyne I think of aubergine, which is an eggplant…[/SIZE]
    Now there's food for thought.

[SIZE="2"]Fag also means a cigarette...[/SIZE]
    So, to take a puff from a cigarette is to take "a drag from a fag"?

a bit nutty
    [QUOTE=Rhonda Jean;2326664]I've previously stated my apparent immunity to feeling ridiculed by words, but I did thing of one that pisses me off. Not sure it fits on the list.

Androgyne

The reason it pisses me off is that early on in my internet lurkings there was a person on a board, probably not even a TG board who had very long hair, wore makeup, dresses, earrings, heels, bras... you name it, but whenever the term "crossdresser" was thrown out, he was highly offended, and would forcefully state the he was NOT a crossdresser. He was an androgyne! Well excuuuuze me! Uhhhh, I was kind of thrown off by the hair, makeup, dresses, earrings, bra, heels... He obviously preferred a term that sounded a little more haughty than the lowly dispicable crossdresser. It came across like, "Ha! I spit upon you, lowly crossdresser! I am a mighty androgyne!" Kind of sounds like some Star Trek warrior.

Hey! I may adopt that self-righteous moniker for myself and go on over to the Androgynes.com message board where I can feel superior. Let's see. What might one of those discussions be like... "I didn't choose these clothes, they chose me just so they could be nearer my awesome-ness!" Yeah, that's sounding better all the time![/QUOte

I love it! My first good belly laugh all month! Thanks!