Thread: That "Knowing" Look

That "Knowing" Look

I was out last weekend doing some shopping around town. I had had the time to really work on myself and if I do say so, I thought I looked pretty fem, not beautiful, but generally passable to anyone on first glance from say, twenty feet away???

Anyway on my first stop, while riding up an escalator, a woman and her husband were riding down the opposite way, right nixt to my side. The woman looked me in the eya nad gave me a very nice smile. There was a glint in her eye that suggested to me that she was seeing more than was the obvious. I felt like I had been read and assessed and had passed the inspection. No, I don't think she mistook me for another woman, but I felt that she was saying, "I know you're a guy in a dress, and I think you look pretty good". I may be mistaken, but as I feel that I really don't pass a dicerning GG eye, I took this glance and smile as a sincere complement.

In the course of shopping there and n other places, I also sensed the same reaction from several other GGs. No one ever made any negative comments or even gave me any odd stares. Oh, a few would give me a second, and third look and smile, but that is somewhat of a complement as well. This all being said, I had a really nice time out shopping.

I tried on several dresses at the first place and was even in the dressing room while two other very chatty women were trying on clothes. I wanted to step out of my compartment to get their comments on a pretty strapless, purple evening dress, but couldn't get the zipper up before they left. I did pick up a black and red evening dress that I really like for a bargain 11.99, and then bought a black Marylin Monroe waiste cincher.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Paula, you look fantastic and congratulations for going out shopping. I totally know what you mean. It's so gratifying to be read by GGs. I know lots of us on this forum have the goal of never being read, and that's fine, but there's something delicious to me about being read by a GG and getting that smile of "knowing and accepting." I just love that!

Congratulations on your accomplishments to date. You will never be put back in the closet. You escaped the shackles and now have a life of freedom in front of you.
    Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Siemen View Post
    Anyway on my first stop, while riding up an escalator, a woman and her husband were riding down the opposite way, right nixt to my side. The woman looked me in the eya nad gave me a very nice smile. There was a glint in her eye that suggested to me that she was seeing more than was the obvious. I felt like I had been read and assessed and had passed the inspection. No, I don't think she mistook me for another woman, but I felt that she was saying, "I know you're a guy in a dress, and I think you look pretty good". I may be mistaken, but as I feel that I really don't pass a dicerning GG eye, I took this glance and smile as a sincere complement.

In the course of shopping there and n other places, I also sensed the same reaction from several other GGs. No one ever made any negative comments or even gave me any odd stares. Oh, a few would give me a second, and third look and smile, but that is somewhat of a complement as well. This all being said, I had a really nice time out shopping.
    Paula,
    I am out all the time everywhere and I get the same look and smile. I have this theory that there is this private GG club that they are initiated into at birth. The knowing look and smile are like their secret handshake. They are just acknoledging that you are a nember of the secret society known as womanhood. At least that is my take on it and it get's me throught the day, and very happily I might add.

I have gone out in boy mode and given the look and smile at many a woman, just to test this theory. The results in drab are dismal at best. Sure I get a smile once in a while but the knowing look and certain glint in the eye is not there. I rest my case.
    I believe therefore I can [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I don't pass. I know and accept that I don't pass. When I'm out, I try to look as good as I can, but at 5'12" in my stocking feet, and after a 26 year career in the fire service, my hopes of passing are long gone. But, above all, I try to present myself with pride. I look as good as I can, I walk tall and carry myself with dignity.

When I'm out, there are probably 80% of the people around me are oblivious to the fact that I am there. They are too busy with their own lives to notice what is going on around them. In a restaurant, that number may be quite a bit lower. I do get some puzzled looks, and occasionally I will get a look of disapproval, but that is not my problem, it's theirs. Often, though, I get a look as you described, usually from GWs, but sometimes from GMs. When I get that look, I usually take it as a look of approval, like they are saying, "I think it's great that you are proud to be who you are."

The really amazing thing is, a half dozen or so looks of disapproval are negated by just one small smile, one approving look.

Grace,
    Bobbi

Then again, it might just be all in your head. Women (and men) don't expect to see guys in dresses while walking around in their everyday lives, and usually don't give people they don't know much more than a passing glance. They generally are not aware that there are crossdressers in their midst. Furthermore, I see women every day who aren't very pretty, and have distinctly masculine features (poor things!). Since you're acutely aware at all times that you are a guy in a dress, you're constantly looking to see if you're being read. And sure enough, you've seen it in many people you encounter. Perhaps you're seeing things that aren't necessarily there.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Paula,

First, I love the skirt in the first pic! It's gorgeous and it's very you.

Second, I know and actually love that knowing look. I know I don't pass, but I do appreciate the knowing smiles from people who not only know how just much effort it took to get this way, but approve of the results. Good for you!

Kathi

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    I'm not sure that you were necessarily read. I think that the look and smile is just the way that women greet each other. Michelle has pointed out that most women don't offer the smile to men in drab. Also, as Marla said, most people don't go round looking for cross-dressers but will take you at face value.

The real point of my post though is to congratulate you on a successful outing!
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Thank you Kathi for you kind words of approval. Unfortunately, I did not buy the first dress. You're right it seemed to be much more of my style, but I did like the two tone one which I did buy. I can't seem to get the first one out of my mind tho and I know from past experience what that means...............I'll probably go back and get it. I'm just really short on cash these days. Also, even thought I'll never have a place to wear it, the purple strapless is in my mind. Its just one of the first dresses of that style that I felt I could wear.

If I get a chance, I may go back and at least try them both on again and get more pictures. I've finaly discovered how to transfere the pics from my android to my computer and then purge the pics from the phone. (I know how Tiger got himself in trouble).

And thank you all for your encouraging words. I do enjoy being out as my feminine self.....it does make me feel complete and femnine. I wish I could be out every day.......although I'd have waaaaaaaaaaay more clothes than I could ever wear.

Luv Yall,
    Paula

Where's my Millionaire?? Kendra (Tx)'s Avatar
    [SIZE="3"]Oh, I've been out on a few occasions where I've gotten that "knowing look" from a GG...One that comes to mind was when my "partner in crime" Emmy and I were out at Hatteras on the ferry where a guy was checking me out....I cought a glimpse of him doing that..and so did his wife.......No biggie...We just went about our business....When we passed each other, she just gave me a smile...I have an idea when she him home the kind of comversation that came up..."A WHAT??? .. NOOOO....Yer kidding...NO way"...LOL... I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall on that one...[/SIZE]

http://kendra954.com
    [SIZE="3"]Some of the most beautiful women in the world were born male. [/SIZE]

We are men (sometimes), aren't we?!? Why aren't we doing science? We need data, people. I call for a member in drab to go out with a member en femme. The en femme member passes through a group of people and the drab member is the spy or mole who is in the group. After any knowing looks and smiles, etc. are given the the femme member, the member leaves. The mole can stay behind to witness the non-event, or the roar of laughter that follows. I have witnessed a round of laughter after a CD left the grocery store I worked at as a teen. The CDs were treated decently while they were in the store, but after they left, the customers started laughing out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta Marie View Post
    The really amazing thing is, a half dozen or so looks of disapproval are negated by just one small smile, one approving look.
    Aww, beautifully said!

If I could, I'd run to where you and the others in this thread are all out dressed, and give you each ten big smiles. And a hug.
    Reine