Thread: Buying wigs

Buying wigs

Hi to all my sisters and friends,
    I was wondering if you found yourself being overwelmed by the
    large selction of wigs in most wig stores(including online stores)
    and I'm just about the differant styles with in your own hair color.
    I find my head spinning and feel like a kid in at toys-r-us.
    Personially i beleave the adverager cd/tg about 2-3 differant
    styles (incuding leangth ) of any given month.
    So I find myself this question and i wonder if any of you out here
    find yourself asking the same question.which of these wigs do i truely
    need??"
    And i wonder how the rest of you deside on the wig you will buy??
    sincerly
    Tina

Wigs and more wigs

Great question, I have over a dozen and sometimes wonder why do I have so many when there are just a few that I regularly enjoy. Then I go into a shop and have to get just one more for that latest style. In the end that is the issue, styles change and we must always update. That's my story and I am sticking to it. You can see the differnent styles over the years at my home page. Would love to hear if any strike you as really flattering, or really awful.

Hugs,

Tiffany

http://www.geocities.com/tg137/hairstyles.html
    Last edited by tifftg; 09-13-2005 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Update URL

I've tried several on at a time in the wig shop, right out in the open too. The manager had no problem with the number I tried on, but she might have if I kept going and going

One cool thing around here is that there are a number of wigs stores available to go in and try a few at a time.
    DonnaT

GypsyKaren
    You know, I've got four now, I guess I keep looking for that perfect look. The best advice I can give you is to just go to a wig store and try a bunch on. That's the only way to find out which color and style looks good on you. A lot of it has to do with the color of your complexion, so don't be afraid to go with a different color than your own. That's what I did, and I'm very happy with the results.

GypsyKaren

New wigs

I just bought a couple of wigs from Don Murnane's in Minneapolis. Carol H was my stylist and she was fantastic. The shop is open to cdr's, so I was able to go there dressed as Victoria each time. It was a totally awesome experience and the help I received in picking out my wigs was tremendous.

My wife also came with me two of the times, when decisions needed to be made on style and color and that was very, very beneficial. My wife and Carol made the ultimate difference in what i would have purchased! And after all was said and done, I couldn't have agreed more!

On my last visit, Carol made a point of having me come to the cashier counter in front of the other styists and a gg customer to pay for my wig.

It pays to have help. I would do it again and recommend it to others. Call ahead and find "the right" wig store.

Victoria

I went to a professional wig shop, she spent a lot of time with me helping me decide on the right look.

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyKaren
    You know, I've got four now, I guess I keep looking for that perfect look. The best advice I can give you is to just go to a wig store and try a bunch on. That's the only way to find out which color and style looks good on you. A lot of it has to do with the color of your complexion, so don't be afraid to go with a different color than your own. That's what I did, and I'm very happy with the results.

GypsyKaren
    Hi and thnx for your responce.
    i'm an hand at buying wigs myself. I start this discussion to see how the
    rest of shop for wigs and your thought process in finally which wig you'll
    buy.
    Like for myself when i go my favorit wig ship and has non me for yrs
    and has been quite helpful in choosing my wigs.
    and she also has soon me differant way styling the wigs.
    So that my 10cent worth.
    sencerly
    Tina

I have to agree with what all the other girls said,i have had this crap blonde wig for years that just didnt suit me so of i went to the wig store last friday and got myself two fantastic new wigs.I looked through the shop but couldnt find a style i like so the lady got new catolog out and i found the style i liked.She brought out about 20 wigs in my natural hair colour and they looked ok,then she found a blonde brownish colur in the same style and as soon as she put it on we were both like wow thats perfect so i bought two wigs in the same colour but in two different styles.Most of them are trained hairdressers so i just asked for something that suited my bone structure and the colour of my skin.I had the best time of my life in there and the lady was fantastic,now i have 3 wigs and later on if i want a new one i will be going back to the same place.I have included some pics because i just have to show you girls.

Take care
    Crystal
    Attached Images Attached Images

As many have stated excellent advice above, I will add my .02. If you are not sure of the look that will be best, go to the wig shop, tell them it is for you and ask for assistance in picking one out that is the right color hue, style and which will frame your face properly. Also, keep in mind that wigs come in with a generic shape to them. For the best look, they must be individually styled, shaped and trimmed to each lady.

I have been getting wigs professionally fitted for about 7 years. Yes, you can find good prices on the net, but would it be throwing money down the drain on a wig that looks bad or that you never wear. Also remember-Wigs are not returnable. You are stuck with what you got.

There are many threads on passability. My wig stylist has told me forever that for a great presentation, put your money into your hair. Yes, it costs a little more to go to a shop to be fitted, but it is money well spent if you want to look great.

Jodi

I'll start off by saying I own only one wig, the one in my av. I bought it at a local shop after trying on about five others. I'm convinced that going into a wig salon is the best appoach even at the extra cost. One thing I might suggest is to try on several wigs at the salon and take note of the styles that best suit you. Buy (at least) one of the wigs at the salon, then go online and purchase the other styles.

One problem I have with online stores is that, in one case, the colors swatches they put up on there page were often wrong. For example, at one site, a swatch was described as Strawberry Blonde/Golden Blonde highlites, the next swatch was described as Golden Blonde/Ash Blonde Highlites... none of the colors in the two photos even came close to matching. In fact, a third swatch described as Golden Blonde didn't match any of the colors in the first two swatches. In this respect, it can be very overwhelming to buy online. A more reputable online store would be more consistent I suspect.

I'll take the pink one.
    "Just be honest, be faithful and have fun" ~ my wife

Action crossdresser Marlena Dahlstrom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigrid
    One problem I have with online stores is that, in one case, the colors swatches they put up on there page were often wrong.
    In fairness to the merchants, even the ones that try to do a good job of putting accurate swatches up are at the mercy of a person's computer monitor, which can be highly variable. That's why the reputable shops have a disclaimer about the color accuracy.

The better online wig shops will let you "rent" a color ring that has samples of each color. (Typically you buy it and then return it for store credit toward buying a wig.) However, just be aware it can sometimes be tough to visualize from the sample on the ring -- sort of like looking at a paint chip and trying to figure out what the entire room would look like in that color.

Some stores (usually the larger ones) will allow you to return wigs, but usually only for store credit.

A wig is a major investment, so it's worth a little extra getting it right, so going in person is best.

If you can't, there are a lot of articles online helping GGs chose the right hairstyle and color and you can learn a lot from them. I believe there's even a couple sites where you can pay a small amount and upload your photo and then be able to display different styles on it. If you're skilled at Photoshop or some other photo-editing program, you can do the same thing yourself. It may look clunky, but it will give a sense of how a particular style would look. Since our faces are built differently than GG it can also be helpful to look at photos of other CDs and see if there's anyone who looks similar to you. Then see which styles look better than others.

As far as colors, you're safest staying a shade or two within your natural color. (Not that you can't go further, only that it takes more skill.) And don't have a "blonde moment" -- most people can't do blonde. Be sure to choose a color than matches your skin tone (warm or cool), since a contrasty tone will look odd.

Renee Reyes has some good advice about buying wigs and managing your stable of hair.
    Lena

A dream? What is a dream, but a blueprint for courageous action.

http://www.adahlshouse.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darla Dahlstrom
    In fairness to the merchants, even the ones that try to do a good job of putting accurate swatches up are at the mercy of a person's computer monitor, which can be highly variable. That's why the reputable shops have a disclaimer about the color accuracy.
    Ok, I can understand that but, when I'm looking at a two swatches, one labeled "Strawberry blonde with Golden blonde highlites" and right below it is a swatch labeled "Golden Blonde" and the color in the golden blonde swatch doesn't match either of the colors in the previous swatch, I'm thinking it's not my monitor.

I'll take the pink one.
    "Just be honest, be faithful and have fun" ~ my wife

Haley Pink~

Hmm?

My big problem is finding the correct color match to my own hair when I want to buy a clip on pony tail.

Haley

I echo alot of what was said by the other girls. Go to a pro, and get an opinion. I bought my first last week, and the lady I went to was fantastic. She started by asking what length, style, color, I had in mind. Her first choice was right on the mark for my face, imo. Although my biggest single item I've purchased, the cost was well worth the benifit. I will go back soon, and get the other style's I need.

Kiva :wink:

Tifftg, I just looked at all your wig pictures. The mid length-curlie look i like a lot. I have owned around fifty wigs over the years, and I have hairdressing experience. Your face shape is similar to mine and the shorter mid length works for you. You need some soft curls on your cheeks that will make your face more heart shape. Also, and very important: All most any wig right out of the box is going to look WIGY! wHY? because they all have just too much hair in them. They really must be thinned out a bit and shaped. Long and straight look a little hard on you, the shorter softer curlier looks very nice. If I may say so.

tamaratv
    i got the best information from Joanne Robert's book. Goes over everythign you need to do to choose a style that is correct for your face and goes over length.

Here is one place you can get the book. Good tips on anything mtf crossdressing

http://www.crossdresser.com/product_...tID=24&Search=

I have a selection of 4 wigs. Two short and two long. I usually get them style once every few months by my local hairdresser. She is great, does the wigs for the older ladies and women on chemo.
    THe best thing is that she has a great funky style and does great 60's do's for me.
    I suppose I am lucky in that I have a place that I can keep my wigs on the styrofoam heads. It must be harder for the ladies that need to hide thier things in a suitcase for example.
    When this was the case for me I always had a shorter style wig, usually curly as they kept a nice look no matter how badly they got battered.

Anyone else have "suitcase" problems?

Maxine

I got my new wig from www.paulayoung.com
    i hope this helps you.
    Adrianne.

In-n-Out / Back-n-Forth / Shannon's Avatar
    I'm up to seven wigs -- four that I really like and three that I'm going to make available to others as soon as I take photos of them.

This past Saturday, I went out en femme, to a wig shop. I called beforehand to make sure that I would be comfortable shopping there. I picked this shop from the yellew pages because it was called "Secrets Wig Design" and it is located in a predominately GLBT section of San Diego. (Brilliant work Detective Shannon ). When I talked to the owner on the phone, I asked if CrossDressers are welcome to shop at the store. She started chuckling and said "Honey, that's my job!"

So I knew I had a safe place for my first officical daylight shopping trip en femme -- it would be expected of me!

I got to the store about 1pm in the afternoon. Empty except for the owner, Maria. (Not the same Maria that helped me select my foundation shade at the Clinique counter at Macy's....must be something about the name...)

So Maria asks if I'm looking for a daytime look or for evening. "Evening," I replied. She points to a little chair and table, with a mirror on the table and says "Go sit down over there and I'll get a couple for you to try on."

The first one was perfect - a dark auburn with some highlights. When I put it on, the impact was sudden. Maria says "See, that color is perfect for your complexion. What do you think?" "I think I'll buy it -- I love it!"

Then she fits the second one on me -- basic medium brown -- my natural hair color. Not quite the same complement for my complexion, but I love the style. I debate longer on this one. Maria says she likes them both, but prefers the first one we tried on. I know my approach to shopping -- and I turn to her and say "Lets do both."

Maria does some brushing, styling, and trimming on both, and asks "Which one are you going to wear?" "I think the brown one." As I'm paying, she tells me if I ever have a special engagement, to come in for a styling -- she can put it up for me (I can hardly wait). She's also going to set me up with someone that does makeovers. I'm set!!

As I'm leaving, Maria says "You're cute." I turn by head back over my shoulder and beam a big "Thank You!" Then I stroll down the block, around the corner, and halfway down the block to where I parked my car.

I love being a girl!

Here's a photo of my new brown wig. (not a great photo). I'm not working much this week, so hopefully I'll have more time to dress up and take some better pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Shannon; 11-21-2005 at 12:14 AM.