Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do Females Crossdress?

Quote Originally Posted by linda allen View Post
    Wow, that sure got out of hand quickly.

I'm not asking about women wearing men's work clothes, or women assuming traditionally male roles in the workplace or society, I am curious if for instance, there are a significant number of females who dress up as men from time to time for the thrill of it and pretend, either in private, or in public, that they are actually males. Just like many of us do, but in reverse.
    Well if that's all you want to know, it has been answered in this thread, and by the very existence of the female to male crossdressing pages on this forum.

Yes.
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

interestingly enough, this is a discussion my wife and I had just a couple of days ago. She is continually struggling to understand my crossdressing and made the observation that 'there's no female equivalent' to my crossdressing.
    I think she's right. You can talk all you want about double standards and how women can wear pants and work clothes and so on, but that's missing the point. We dress as women because we want to present as women. There is a deep psychological reason for that. You can argue endlessly (and we have) about what those reasons are, but the fact is that we feel some kind of compulsion to act on these feelings. Women dress in jeans because that is acceptable in our society.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    I am curious if for instance, there are a significant number of females who dress up as men from time to time for the thrill of it and pretend, either in private, or in public, that they are actually males.
    I do not know what the numbers are, but it would help if you could define "significant" more precisely.

There are vast numbers of female crossdressers-- though not necessarily by choice. We live in a society that requires females to dress as men for many employment positions: police officers, security guards, and so forth. I've had jobs in which all employees were required to wear men's shirts and pants-- no female versions available. I've yet to run across a job that requires male employees to wear skirts, hosiery or high heels (and I've looked!).

I'm not asking about women wearing men's work clothes, or women assuming traditionally male roles in the workplace or society, I am curious if for instance, there are a significant number of females who dress up as men from time to time for the thrill of it and pretend, either in private, or in public, that they are actually males. Just like many of us do, but in reverse.
    Linda,

Yes, there are females that do crossdress for many of the same reasons we do. There are also many F2M TS that do crossdress prior to transition. They have the same type RLE we do as M2F TS except in reverse. My own husband is an example of a F2M CD that is TS and has since transitioned.

Danni

I think Pythos hit this one right on.

But - to answer your question, yes, some women do.

Account is closed
    One word: pants
    [SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Lyric View Post
    There are vast numbers of female crossdressers-- though not necessarily by choice. We live in a society that requires females to dress as men for many employment positions: police officers, security guards, and so forth. I've had jobs in which all employees were required to wear men's shirts and pants-- no female versions available. I've yet to run across a job that requires male employees to wear skirts, hosiery or high heels (and I've looked!).
    Unless you where in a Scottish Band looking for a bag pipe player ..Even some acting but hey..I am reaching..
    I do not!! Claim to be an expert on any topic, when I post a new thread or reply on any thread my imput is strickly that of a crossdresser. Not to offend Gay people , Transexuals or any other life style, I am only commenting on one of my own.

this is ridiclous. Pants are not and never were crossdressing. Yes, there was a time that pants were not considered appropiate attire for women. And who do you suppose imposed that restriction. It wasn't the women. Pants and pantaloons have been worn by women throughout history.

Danni

The discussions about whether current women's clothes are "cross-dressing" or about what women can "get away with" are clearly irrelevant to the original question about whether some women sometimes dress to pretend they are men. Several people have already pointed to the location of evidence that the answer is YES; why people continue to get side-tracked on matters decidedly ruled out by the original question is difficult for me to fathom.

Here is specific evidence in response to the original question. Unless one doubts that that forum member was being honest, the only remaining question should be for Linda to clarify what she means by "significant number" in her follow-up post, as to some people a single example is "significant" and to other people 25 million people is not "significant".

This wasn't exactly difficult evidence to find, by the way: it's the 4th non-sticky post at the moment in the Transmasculine section.

If you are a girl with transgender feelings then you will most likely identify as a tomboy not a CD. Being able to satisfy your feelings by wearing masculine clothing from childhood onwards most likely prevents the development of the psychological need to crossdress seen in males. As a result there are only a tiny number of women who CD to pass as a male (excluding TSs of course). So female CDs exist but are very rare. There are probably more FTM TSs than there are FTM CDs.

On the secondary point of women in general crossdressing then yes they are. Just because society accepts women dressing in male clothes, and just because women may have different reasons to do so does not mean this suddenly is not crossdressing. Everyone has their own individual reasons why they choose to wear the clothes that makes them happy. Masculine clothes are still associated with men and so women who wear them are crossdressing. To say that we should ignore this double standard is ridiculous. The whole reason why we have to live in the closet, lie to everyone, have relationships fail is precisely because of this double standard. We absolutely should complain and fight against it.

To those of you who are so tenacious in believing that women who wear pants are CDing, with all due respect I only have one comment:

Where is the universal rule that states that pants are the sole domain of men? Times change, fashions change, and women who wear pants that are designed to be worn by women ARE NOT CDING! We are no longer living in the 50's!

I wear jeans most of the time and I do not crossdress.

*rant over*

To answer the OP - There are F2M CDs, but their ratio to F2M TSs is small compared to their M2F counterparts. Also, the ratio of overall F2M forum members is very small compared to M2Fs. I don't know why this is. M2F members are fond of saying it is because women are allowed to wear pants, but honestly, the birth females who bind and present as male have just as many issues with stigma and bias as their M2F counterparts who wish to present female.

I do wonder sometimes if the reason there is a smaller percentage of overall F2Ms with an even smaller ratio of CDs, is hormonal ... birth females in general do not live and breathe sex to the same degree as birth males, so they would not be as prone to developing sexual fetishes?

I haven't read this anywhere, it is just an idle question. I'm not saying that women don't have fetishes, some do. But with the exception of early onset M2F TSs, don't most CDs begin the CDing as a sexual release when teenagers? We all know that many, if not most CDs eventually move beyond that stage, but hasn't the brain been solidly wired for pleasure at the prospect of CDing even after the sexual urges diminish somewhat?

I'm just wondering if anyone understands anything about the long-term physiological and psychological impact of fetishes. Now before anyone comments on this, I'm not saying that all CDers are fetish, although there are quite a few here that are. But, it does start out sexually for most, doesn't it? Whereas with F2Ms, I rather think their gender identities are not rooted in sexual release.

Just wondering.
    Reine

[QUOTE=linda allen;2344736]Do females crossdress? ]/QUOTE]
    Sure. But as they're allowed to wear male garb, no one ever notices.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    I haven't read this anywhere, it is just an idle question. I'm not saying that women don't have fetishes, some do. But with the exception of early onset M2F TSs, don't most CDs begin the CDing as a sexual release when teenagers? We all know that many, if not most CDs eventually move beyond that stage, but hasn't the brain been solidly wired for pleasure at the prospect of CDing even after the sexual urges diminish somewhat?

I'm just wondering if anyone understands anything about the long-term physiological and psychological impact of fetishes. Now before anyone comments on this, I'm not saying that all CDers are fetish, although there are quite a few here that are. But, it does start out sexually for most, doesn't it? Whereas with F2Ms, I rather think their gender identities are not rooted in sexual release.

Just wondering.
    Reine,

I'm not any type of expert on this but through observation over many years,I would think that yes the brain does become somewhat hardwired to the pleasure even after the sexual urges diminish. Some even in the F2M ranks gender identity issues do stem or arise due to sexual release. True, most do not as there are far fewer females that crossdress than there are males that do.

Danni

Silver Member
    I think the question is, "Is there such a thing a female transvestism?" Virginia Prince wrote quite a bit about this back in the day and I would encourage those interested to read her writings. The Reader's Digest version that I remember is that, since women's lib, there is nothing for GGs to escape from or into by being a man. Women can not only just wear pants, but go into masculine professions, be tough when necessary, be gentle when necessary, etc. Men do not have the same freedom and that, according to her, is one reason why men crossdress.

As for fetishism, from what I have read and experienced, women are just wired differently. Men can have clothing fetishes, but it is very very rare for a GG to have them. For example, I have known GGs who liked wearing high heels, but none who were turned on just by wearing them; I have known plenty of men who are. I recently was looking through an old magazine from the 70s about more "traditionally-fetishy" clothing, and was surprised to read letters from wives writing to them expressing bewilderment as to why their husbands liked wearing and/or them wearing what they do. The thing that surprised me was, although the subject matter was not transvestism, they sounded just like letters one might see in a Tri-Ess type publication from wives struggling to figure out why their husband crossdresses.

And speaking of Tri-Ess, they explicitly allow F2M TVs to join as full members, so they believe they exist; I don't remember ever seeing one in their membership listings and such though.
    Last edited by Vickie_CDTV; 12-13-2010 at 06:20 AM.

I can't figure out why you excluded lesbians from the question, cuz the minute you do include them, the answer to the OQ, and to this clarification, is a definite yes. You'll see them at every lesbian club. Only thing is, many of them would bristle at your suggestion that they are pretending. Also keep in mind that some of them are bi. As for hetero GGs, 99% of them are not trying to emulate men, but I have met a few, um, "tomboys" who are straight, but are very mannish in dress and demeanor.

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    Sure. But as they're allowed to wear male garb, no one ever notices.
    Don't you ever read the transmasculine section???

Quote Originally Posted by sandra-leigh View Post
    Don't you ever read the transmasculine section???
    I used to, but not any more. In the past, when I have been drawn to comment on a thread in that section, I have found that my opinions have been unwelcome.

Kinda like they have been on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by clayfish View Post
    I used to, but not any more. In the past, when I have been drawn to comment on a thread in that section, I have found that my opinions have been unwelcome.

Kinda like they have been on this thread.

Funny you should say that ( not ha ha funny either) ...I get the same treatment there..
    I do not!! Claim to be an expert on any topic, when I post a new thread or reply on any thread my imput is strickly that of a crossdresser. Not to offend Gay people , Transexuals or any other life style, I am only commenting on one of my own.

Quote Originally Posted by sherri View Post
    I can't figure out why you excluded lesbians from the question, cuz the minute you do include them, the answer to the OQ, and to this clarification, is a definite yes. You'll see them at every lesbian club. Only thing is, many of them would bristle at your suggestion that they are pretending. Also keep in mind that some of them are bi. As for hetero GGs, 99% of them are not trying to emulate men, but I have met a few, um, "tomboys" who are straight, but are very mannish in dress and demeanor.
    I didn't include lesbians because I already know that some lesbians "cross dress" if you will.

To try once more to be clear - I am not gay or attracted to other men, but I enjoy putting on a bra and forms, a wig, traditionally female clothing, and looking in the mirror at a female. If I get a chance someday , I will go out in public as a female. Many members here seem to feel the same way I do.

I'm just wondering if there is a female counterpart and if it is common or not.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

I'm just wondering if there is a female counterpart and if it is common or not.
    Well, Linda, there is a birth female counterpart, but it is small. I hope this answers your question.
    Reine

There is a transmasculine section on this very board, we have hundreds of female to male members. And with that said, before the few who are talking about work clothes continue to ruin the thread and piss me off, I'm closing it. You can learn about the FTM's in that section Linda.
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn