Thread: Guy's Wearing skirts on TV Shows

Guy's Wearing skirts on TV Shows

This weekend, I was watching a DVD with my daughter of a TV show called "Flight 29 Down". The show is about 7 kids in their early teens on a desterted island where their plane crashed & they have to fend for themselves.

So at one point, one guy has developed a rash in that "sensitive area" from wearing wet shorts too long. After some pain and trying to hide it, he finally lets one of the girls know & she helps him by lending him one of her skirts. This obviously helped so his shorts were not rubbing the rash. After a few giggles from the others he declares that he is wearing a skirt and he enjoys it.

I just found this interesting. It seems men in skirts is still the source for comedy, BUT it was not the same as in the past.
    Kim

"I just gotta be me"

[SIZE="5"]So, the next time someone asks "why you wearing a skirt?" I can say "I got a rash!"......
    [/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Susan V. Adams

I sometimes have a problem with a rash between my legs if I'm wearing cotton underwear, under pants, on a hot/humid day. Happened on my honey moon in fact. In Paris, at my wife's suggestion (she knew I crossdressed anyway) I bought a pair of pantyhose and wore those instead of underwear for a couple of days. Rash cleared up.

I once was in a similar boat. I got a rash and the cream my doctor gave me made my nipples very sensitive. I had to wear a bra to keep them from hurting. I didn't mind at all.

Tracy

Come and talk with me ;) Briana90802's Avatar
    Well I like star trek TNG season 1,2 and 3 where the men wear skirts. It wasn't put in for comedy and gene rodenberry hoped that gender differences would be less pronounced in the future. Hopefully his vision of the future is never lost.

Quote Originally Posted by NV Susan View Post
    [SIZE=5]So, the next time someone asks "why you wearing a skirt?" I can say "I got a rash!"......[/SIZE]
    Be sure to ask them if they'd like to see it. That should end the conversation quickly!
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Quote Originally Posted by donnalee View Post
    Be sure to ask them if they'd like to see it. That should end the conversation quickly!
    You actually made me laugh out loud then and I nearly spilled my drink!
    I am only a cross dresser when I don't crossdress!

About Me: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...595#post306595

"I don't want the world to see me, cause I don't think that they'd understand. When everything's made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am" - Goo Goo Dolls

[SIZE="3"]www.HappyDressers.com[/SIZE] - Where cross dressers go to be happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Kim_Bitzflick View Post
    I just found this interesting. It seems men in skirts is still the source for comedy, BUT it was not the same as in the past.
    Question: why are men in skirts a source of comedy?
    Whenever I have worn a skirt in male mode, there have never been any issues at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma England View Post
    Question: why are men in skirts a source of comedy?
    It really shouldn't be a source of comedy, but you have to start somewhere. Eventually, there will be shows where some men just dress differently, are are not part of some story line that gives a lame excuse to include them.

As for Star Trek TNG, I never thought of the uniforms as having skirts until someone else pointed it out. I just thought of them as a futuristic style.
    Juno Michelle Krahn

Normal people are weird. Stealth is another word for "in the closet".

Kim It's unfortunate that most tv producers and writers still consider guys in skirts or dresses drag queens or buffoons. But I remember watching Phil Donahue back in the '70s where he opened his show by walking on stage wearing a skirt along with a jacket and tie. His guests that day were a group of men trying to promote men's skirts as an alternative to shorts as summer wear. The skirt was definitely not a kilt but a more androgenous skirt and could be worn by either gender. It seemed like quite a radical concept back then and never really gained momentem. Perhaps if that mode of dress had been accepted by society, it could have opened many doors to the transgenger community.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Kuzco and all the other Inca cartoon characters, male and female, teen & adult, wear skirts and earrings in the Disney cartoon movie & Saturday morning cartoon show "Emperor's New Groove". Gender distinctions remain obvious.

Lainie

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!

Emma - your question of why is a man in a skirt a source of comedy is really a good question.

I remember back in the early 80's (that's 1980's) when there was movement for the equal rights ammendment to the US constitution.

I don't think we will ever truly have equality between men and women until it is just as acceptible for men to wear skirts as it is for women to wear pants.

Men in skirts is a source of comedy because people view it as men doing something silly - or possibly - degrading themselves in one way or another. Women in skirts is not silly and not degrading - it is more their level. Therefore, women must somehow be less or unequal to men in the minds of those who do not understand the true value of each person.

Or, maybe I'm just full of manure and have it all wrong. Regardless, that's my take on it. If anyone would care to educate me with a better understanding, I am happy to read what you have to say. Like I said at the beginning of this rambling post, it is a good question.

Once upon a time people wore what was comfortable. Kaftans, arabic dress, Roman togas, Scottich kilts (the originals not the current stylised version)... if you wanted freedom of movement and to protect your legs... leggings (now trousers/pants).

In the West we live in a world of social stereotyping. Anything outside of the predefined norms is a source of comedy, derision and prejudice. Women have fought a long battle to wear trousers in the workplace and generally be accepted in them. In the 50s they were stylised as "slacks". Now they generally have the right to wear what they want when they want.

Most Western males are terrified of anything that threatens their masculinity... the gay movement has finally gained acceptance in most western societies, though there are still strongly held prejudices.

Mel Brooks... "Robin Hood: Men in Tights"...

Comedy or breaking down the stereotypes?

At work events men all over the world still sweat the concept of "casual dress" and everyone phones each other up to check on what they are wearing so we don't step outside of the social "norm"?
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings