Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Voice lessons

Psyco Roller Derby Doll. Katesback's Avatar
    I got this vision of seeing some trans person carrying around a bottle of oxygen but instead really was helium with a flow just right to keep that high pitched voice.

Here is a link to Melainie Phillips site: http://heartcorps.com/journeys/voice.htm I found her tape to be valuable when I started years ago. In fact, if I can find it, it's a VHS tape, I will send it to the first person who PMs me with their address. Anyway, the way I found Ellen was using Google. There were a few teachers in my city and the next one over, but I wanted to put a little distance between where I hang out and where I got lessons. My teacher is about 45 minutes away. She was interested in helping me when I called and she came recommended, so I went for it. She had never worked with a CD or a TS, but she had worked with many women singers and also women announcers. For me, I really like the real time feedback and it was only $25 a half hour. She thinks that I should need only one or two more lessons, so it's worth it to me.

Had my second voice lesson! My voice is getting better, both in pitch and variation. My voice strength has improved and I'm very pleased!! I spoke in my Lisa voice the whole lesson for about 45 minutes. My throat is sore today, but I'm really pleased and confident that I will improve over time. Next lesson is 1/9.

I've had great success with my voice therapy so far. I've had about, oh, 8 lessons or so, over the internet via Skype. My Speech Therapist also works with people wanting a more feminine voice pattern.

One of the things have been finding extremely helpful is to have a mnemonic device and working continuously on being self-aware. I've been using PFAM (Pitch Flow Articulation Maintain - repeat that statement time and time again, adjusting your voice AS you do it) when I forget to bring my voice up or keep it up, which then reminds me of the other things that are just as important -- Breathyness in Consonants (and make sure you make a point of exaggerating the breath of 'eathy' and 'coooohhhhhhonsonants') and, of course intonation and SLOW DOWN! Just on the John Tesh show last night he said that women generally speak and absorb at about 160 words per minute, where men can talk and absorb at upwards to 600 WPM!!

I've already had people tell me that my voice, at times when I'm being extremely mindful, falls into a rhythm that has become indistinguishable from an average GG's.. practice, Practice, and PRACTICE!!

Best of Luck!

Do you have contact details for your Skype voice therapist that you might be able to PM me Angel? What sort of price does he/she charge?

Thanks!

Haydée (pronounced Heidi) silhouette's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S. Lisa Smith View Post
    Here is a link to Melainie Phillips site: http://heartcorps.com/journeys/voice.htm I found her tape to be valuable when I started years ago.
    I checked out her site and I came away feeling extremely skeptical..
    She takes hormones, and claims she can still do her male voice but "doesn't want to" lol.

I've heard that same terrible lie out of the mouth of 8 year olds yeah I can turn invisible, I just don't want to right now!
    so she won't do it and we're just supposed to trust her that it's not the hormones altering her voice.. and then she asks for money.. riiiight

Also that talk about "getting stuck" in a female voice mode the first time she tried it, and not being able to talk like a guy anymore?
    That sounds like a load of junk! Yes suddenly she forgot how to talk the way she has been talking for her entire life and it took her an hour to revert back..

Excuse me while I roll my eyes
    Still could be some valuable stuff i suppose, I haven't purcahsed her tape

I think if I worked at it really hard, I could pull off a somewhat girly voice. I do pretty well with various impressions, so i know I can get some range going. While Bea Arthur was a good example, another pretty good example may be Pink. She has a little deeper and raspier voice than a lot of people may consider "feminine".
    "Oh f*ckkk!! Chick's a dude!" - from textsfromlastnight

me: I wonder what it'd be like to play golf en femme.

wifey: It's hotter and sweatier.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I've got a two octave "normal" range from D below the base staff. I've found that shutting off the bass resonance in the vocal column is not very hard, and the voice that's left is higher and considerably feminine. The "real" problem for me was what to do with that voice. In male mode we use that bass resonant column for a LOT of inflection. Take it away and suddenly it's necessary to listen to women speak, and to realize that they use their voices differently to get that inflection. To me, this inflection problem has been the real battle.

tina

We have a winner for the Melanie Phillips tape. Celtic-Blue-Eyes was first. Congratulations!