Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would we dress differently if we did it every day?

Would we dress differently if we did it every day?

An interesting question came to my mind while I was walking in to work today. I have about a half mile walk from the train station to my office in downtown Chicago. Along the way, you get to see lots and lots of people. I'm very observant of the ladies with both their appearance and how they dress. As to be expected, you see lots of women dressed to the nines in gorgeous clothes and perfect makeup and the others that didn't do much to themselves since they got out of bed.

Now, in my normal drab role, I don't dress sloppy or anything, but I don't spend too much time on myself either. I just throw on whatever business casual attire is convenient, spend 20 secs on my hair, and am out the door.

When getting dressed in a fem outfit, however, I do spend a lot of time. Trying on different things and doing makeup and all... Now, if I were to dress fem every day, I don't know if I would spend the time at it like I do now. Honestly, I don't think I would. I would probably resort to the same thing I do now by just throwing on some fem biz casual clothes and head out.

So, that leads to my question. If it was accepted by everyone for you to wear fem clothes anywhere, would you spend anywhere near the amount of time getting ready as you do now? What do you all think?

It's not so much if you "did" it everyday but rather, if you "live" it everyday. One is likely to settle into a routine, just as any other woman would. So I think you answered your own question.

Quote Originally Posted by fresan View Post
    Now, if I were to dress fem every day, I don't know if I would spend the time at it like I do now. Honestly, I don't think I would. I would probably resort to the same thing I do now by just throwing on some fem biz casual clothes and head out.
    From there, it would matter what your signature style is. You mention business casual as something that for you might be quick and easy. Terrific. Others might just go with jeans and a top. One's signature style may speak to being polished from head to toe, yet have pieces that are easy to coordinate and even easier to wear. The other extreme for everyday wear is the dreaded sweats, t-shirt and flip-flops. It runs all over the map.

Bottom line, dressing to the nines becomes less of an issue, and less of a necessary facet to express one's femininity when routine sets in.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I am not sure what you mean by dressing differently!!

I do dress enfemm virtually every day! However, since I don't wear makeup or a wig it doesn't take me very long to dress. I do spend more time picking out what to wear enfemme than I do when going in male drab! I have about 1/2 a closet with male clothes, and 4 with female clothes!! So it does take longer to choose the outfit!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Yeah... If I went full time I would definitely not dress up every single day and I like to look sloppy but you would not find any blue denim in my wardrobe... Pink sweats... Jersey gauchos, preppy capris... Sloppy with a dash of cuteness!!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    The one area I really need to expand is my wardrobe is fem casual.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

Most likely, yes, it would just be what we normally did every day.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Would I spend anywhere near the amount of time getting ready as I do now? Well at the moment (post showering and shaving) I've got it down to about 45 minutes to an hour. In my guy mode it's 15 minutes or less but that's mostly because I don't wear makeup to work.

If it was accepted for me (a non-transitioning part-time CDer) to present as a woman at work then I'd sure I'd be seen by some people as "flying the flag" and representing the trans community and I certainly wouldn't want to look like crap if I was doing that. I'd want to look my best. So after saying all that, I don't think I'd cut any corners at all on my "hair" and makeup but I do think I'd be more likely to dress in jeans and a cute top with low heels, as opposed to a dress and 4" stilettos (which is what 99% I wear when I usually go out en femme)
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    If it was accepted by everyone for me to wear fem clothes anywhere... but would they accept me wearing makeup and fem hair style?

I used to spend about 2 hours to get ready to Go Out. That included shaving closely, might include my hair, doing my makeup, gluing my forms on, choosing my outfit and choosing again, choosing and detangling a wig, doing my nails several times and still having a mess...

Now my typical outing is about 5 minutes of preparation -- choosing my outfit and putting it on, draw a line of lipstick on each lip and mash them together to spread it out, put some forms in the bra I'm already wearing, and out the door. That doesn't, though, include time shaving or doing my hair, both of which I do anyhow for either mode. I don't usually bother to do my nails for one evening, but when I have time I get a manicure and have my nails done then and leave them done, including wearing light polish to work. I don't use wigs anymore, my hair is long.

Twice in a week recently, I got compliments on how "carefully" I had done myself up, when both times I'd simply tossed on what I could find quickly, did lipstick and rushed out, 7 minutes max

If makeup were accepted at work, then I might start using more of that -- mascara would probably be the first thing I would add.

I don't spend a lot of time choosing the "perfect outfit" these days -- though that's partly because I've lost track of a number of things (something I'm working on cleaning up this week.) But it's also because I go to fewer social events now and dress more for every-day activities.

And no, I don't mean that I'm slipping more and more into wearing jeans "to blend" or "because they are comfortable". I'm wearing dresses more these days, but I bought some good-quality multi-purpose dresses, simple enough in design to be worn in the mall but good enough to wear to events. "Simple" dresses in linen or good cotton are much harder to find than polyester prints or "party dresses" or complicated gowns!!

I would for starters have to get a much bigger wardrobe. I like to wear flowery dresses at home, but for work I'd need a few nice one coloured long sleeve dresses, matching cardigans, and more skirts and blouses for variety. Work would also involve a female uniform, but to my chagrin, those awful high-visibility coats.

Yes, I would dress differently. Since most of my outings include dinner and maybe a nice wine bar, I always try to dress for the venue. Dressing everyday would require that all my femme clothes and accessories be more out than they are now. They are currently in under the bed plastic storage bins and garment bags inside of my closet. I would think that the first months would be difficult to adjust, but after that I should be able to get it down to a workable system and have a better idea of what I had, where it was and what goes with what. I would also probably alter, or better yet, expand my wardrobe for causal, business, et al styles to fit the moment. Oh, what fun to be able to shop for more stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Yeah... If I went full time I would definitely not dress up every single day and I like to look sloppy but you would not find any blue denim in my wardrobe... Pink sweats... Jersey gauchos, preppy capris... Sloppy with a dash of cuteness!!

PINK SWEATS sweat pants of any kind either on a male or female are strickly
    verboten in my world and should be a punishable offence on almost anyone.JMHO

Psyco Roller Derby Doll. Katesback's Avatar
    If SOME had to dress fem everyday it is a certanty that they would dress differently. Skirts and heels are only fun to for so long and then more realistic clothes become more agreeable.

Katie

I get what your saying here..Everyday dressing is much more relaxed than dressing for the club on a weekend.Doing it everyday,whats on is on and its all fine and whatever.For some girls,dressing "en femme" everyday is way different from dressing "en femme" and going out every day.At home its one thing but, public appearance is another.Trans events are something else too. Some girls will say its just like a bigger closet.Much different than making a day drip to the mall.Some events I'll see girls in their best princess dress but you really wont see that in a hamptons club on a saturday night.

*insert sarcasm* For the crossdresser,remember,when its -10 degrees every woman will be out there in a skirt.They wont be wearing jeans for the fear of people thinking they are trying to blend in.Jeans are so trendy anyway,geez.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Lucky guess, Fresan! My sessions take between 3 and 5 hours, with up to 2 weeks previous prep time! EEK!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayla Shadows View Post
    *insert sarcasm* For the crossdresser,remember,when its -10 degrees every woman will be out there in a skirt.They wont be wearing jeans for the fear of people thinking they are trying to blend in.Jeans are so trendy anyway,geez.
    -10C or -10F ?

Short dresses are not uncommon in the clubs around here even in the middle of winter. GGs probably have them over jeans or leggings though.

When I wear a skirt out on a cold day, I look around and see that I'm not the only one in a skirt.

I am out dressed most of the time now and i have got the routine down to about 30 minutes from the time I get out of the shower and finish shaving. As soon as I scrape off the last whisker I can be out the door in 30 minutes for my day look. If we are going out in the evening I need about another 25 - 30 to do my eyes.

Sorry, in answer to the OP yes. Since I am going out more everything doesn't have to be a production. Some days if I'm just running errands I might dress down, like sweats or jeans and a sweater.
    I believe therefore I can [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

most certainly I would dress differently but always stylish. Sweats? this ain't no gym and the sweat pant is a gateway to gaining weight and not caring. Now skinny jeans...denim ones...they keep you thinner
    Last edited by Lorileah; 12-28-2010 at 12:41 PM. Reason: bad bad typos
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I dress in women's clothes on a pretty regular basis these days. I do tend to only get fully en femme for special occasions and otherwise do more of an androgynous, guy in a skirt look. In general I think people should make at least a little effort to look good when they go out, because your appearance shapes people's impressions of you, so I try not to look sloppy if I can, whether I'm fully in men's clothes or if I've added a dash of woman to my look.

Having said this, I'm definitely guilty of rolling out of bed late, running my hands quickly through my hair or even tossing on a ski cap, before throwing on a shirt that was "hanging" on the back of my chair and then heading off to the job I hate where I wear an apron anyway. This is just laziness and poor planning on my part, and while I don't feel guilty about it on days that I do it, I do feel better on days when I have actually given myself enough time to pick out a clean shirt, spend time with some product in my hair, maybe a bit of eyeliner if I have time, and really take an effort to look good.

When I wear women's clothes, I admit I feel a much stronger obligation to always make the effort to look presentable. I may be able to get away with some scruffyness if I'm wearing a kilt, but if I'm going any steps further, like tights or another type of skirt, I really think it is important for me to look at the whole outfit in the mirror for a few seconds at least and determine if it really works. I know that the way I dress is unusual and that people will notice it, so for me I feel like while they can say how I dress is weird, they can't say I didn't put together a nice look.

This doesn't mean I always dress to the nines though, I rarely do, usually when I go out in women's clothes, I just do the closest approximation to what I'd have worn if I was a girl my age with my sense of style, so typically a t-shirt, with a skirt, tights, and boots.
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

If it was accepted, I would spend more time getting ready. Everything would have to be as good as it could get. Unfortunately, the world's standards are that I can't wear what I want.... Maybe someday, I'll get the courage.

if i was to have woman's clothing on as a daily (normal) thing in public..i know i would look cuter than as a male. to ware a skirt and cute top. just to go shopping for food,going to the post-office, etc, just doing things out and about.
    but i would still need my male things as Loni's are way to good to be used while working on the truck/jeep.

but i would spend the cash to try and get real hair growing on my head again. hair club would love my ca$h.

Gold Member
    I think there will be a wide variety of opinions here and most may be directly related to how often the person dresses. As we hear from some of the transitioned ladies (I am not sure about the gentlemen, that may be a whole different perspective), life changes when you have to do it all the time. So a CD who dresses once a month or so may always get dolled up and they may want to change that if they dressed daily. Others may be like me where I can dress often, so dolled up is for appropriate events or maybe Tri-Ess meetings. Other times, it just varies from casual to something in the middle. So I think I would go through some changes because it is more constant and I don't have to do it at 4-5 AM right now. But I probably don't have to go through as much change as some others who would need a new section to their warddrobe.

i think that the only change would be that i would have to buy more outfits, both casual and party ones. As a male i do like fashion too, so i try to look my best, to work and also on holidays and weekends.
    what i wouldn't have to buy is underwear, i think i have as much as a regular GG

Platinum Member
    I'd probably spend more time getting ready if I was out in public. As it is, I dress nearly full time at home with my wife's support, but often its fem casual, because that's what seems appropriate. I'll go all out on date nights, tho.

For me, the answer is that it would be different each day depending on where I'm going & what I'm doing.

If I were going to work, I would take the time to look my best for the occasion. In this case, a cute skirt & top, makeup, forms, etc.

But if I'm working in my shop (but still femme) I'd wear a t-shirt & jeans. Forms, but no makeup (sawdust sticks to makeup), no wig, etc.

If it were acceptable, I'd grow out my hair to become more femme looking as well.

In the end, I really would want to look as femme as possible in public, but at home I wouldn't work as hard at it.
    Kim

"I just gotta be me"

My answer would be a "Yes." From my observations of my behavior, I'm exhibiting a lot of the "trans-adolescence" that a lot of girls experience when they first go out as a girl in public and in the multiple instances after that. Since those first few times, I determined that Lexine's continued existence is hinged upon the fact that I won't be going to clubs all the nights of the week or even going out to dress to impress, so there needs to be other types of clothing she could wear. Because of this, all my shopping efforts have shifted to purchasing a lot of casual clothing that would make me look good, if not better, than most women. Granted, I started doing this when I first started, but I think there's a more concentrated effort towards buying casual clothes now as opposed to when I started going out to clubs and meeting other members of the community.

As far as preparation time is concerned, I think since I was still learning how to do makeup that that's the reason why it took me a while to get prepared. Nowadays it takes me about 30 minutes to get ready, which doesn't include shaving and taking a shower, etc.

As a point of reference, I usually go out as a girl once a week.