Thread: How to expose your motives, by trying to hide them.

Not sure where I am yet Jay Cee's Avatar

How to expose your motives, by trying to hide them.

So I'm in a bookstore with my SO the other day. She's there to look at books that don't interest me, so I go to one of the "book lookup" terminals, and punch in "makeup" on a whim. A bunch of results pop up, all in the "Lifestyle" section. I ask an employee of the store where this section is. She says "There are two areas with that name - which book are you looking for?" I kind of freeze up for a second, and then say "I'd rather not say. It's top secret." She gives me an odd look, but shows me both areas, and then carries on with her work.

So there I am, looking at how-to makeup books, when who do I notice standing about 6' away? Yep, the clerk who helped me - putting more stock on the shelves. She didn't say a word - bless her. I think that by trying to conceal my goal, I just made myself 100X more obvious. No idea why I did that - I've spent countless hours in drab mode, wandering around makeup and women's clothing areas in department stores, and barely flinched.
    Last edited by Jay Cee; 01-02-2011 at 11:51 AM.

It happens too all of us at one time or another. Don't beat yourself up over it just move on and enjoy yourself.
    I believe therefore I can [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gold Member
    Like Michelle says, no biggie. You probably won't see her again. But it does show that being up front can be better. If you had just said make-up books, she probably would have taken you there and that would have been the end of it. But you piqued her curiosity it appears.

Hey, hopefully we learn something new everyday. That day it seems you just learned that considering a career as a "spy", would probably not be a productive aspiration. Keep your day job, lol.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Automatic tranny Ashley Allison's Avatar
    "Top secret" I'll have to try using that one. I never admit I'm buying for myself if I dont' have to.
    “What would we be if we were normal? I can't even picture it.” – Sookie Stackhouse

Top Secret - LOL is that like "double secret probation?" I can't imagine what I would have said. I know I got great advice the other day about looking on you tube for make-up tips, advice and techniques...

You were approached by a store employee, acted a bit nervous and blurted out a non-sequitur -- of course, she is going to keep a more focused eye on you because a shoplifter might well act the same way.
    "Television is very educational. Whenever somebody turns it on, I go into another room and read a book." -- Groucho Marx

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    too funny
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Not sure where I am yet Jay Cee's Avatar
    I might start using it for ALL of my shopping trips - groceries, hardware, whatever. I will also wear an Inspector Gadget trenchcoat while shopping.