Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you ladies take such fabulous pictures?

how do you ladies take such fabulous pictures?

I love flipping through the flickr albums of classy, sophisticated transgender women. But I find myself asking, "How on earth are these ladies capturing such great photos?" At the airport, outside, in the mall, at home, the list goes on. 10 second timers just don't work for me - too much rushing.

What is your digital camera setup at home and away from home? Is there a such thing as a nice compact point-and-shoot camera with a remote control? What camera are you using? Are you using slim, portable tripods during your trips? Or, do you just ask a stranger to take your photo? I did that in the airport recently, but was less than satisfied with the result. I want to become adept at documenting my experiences, in order to monitor my own progress and to grade myself!

Thanks in advance, and Happy New Year!

Kameryn

I seriously think that they are just beautiful women plain and simple. If you used a crappy 1970's polaroid camera on a hot male or female they'd still look quite lovely.

On the other hand, camera technology is great now. You can have the tiniest camera capture pretty high resolution and color.

I am constantly impressed by the members of this site. Some people here are so damn beautiful.
    If I looked like that I would likely exist as a female at all times.

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    It's quite simple, really.

1. Take a picture
    2. Don't like it
    3. Take another picture
    Repeat as necessary until the stars align, the planets sing, and children dance hand-in-hand (or at least until you find one that doesn't make you look like you've been run over multiple times).

As I said, simple, right?

Kathi

Quote Originally Posted by Mrogredick View Post
    I am constantly impressed by the members of this site. Some people here are so damn beautiful.
    If I looked like that I would likely exist as a female at all times.
    I agree there are some really beautiful women on this site...both inside and out. I aspire to be one of them, too.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    If you're taking them at home I agree with Kathy. Just keep taking them until you get one that looks ok. I use a tripod and I do use a timer. Our camera lets you set how long it waits so if you want more that 10 secs you can have that. However, I gotta be honest, I don't use the timer that much because I'm lucky enough to have a supportive wife who usually volunteers to be my photographer, both at home and when we are out in public.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Yer just take photos till one comes up that doesn't look to bad,I just sometimes take the camera when going out,some times i get people passing buy and they take the Pics.even on the best days my photos don't came out nice,but who cares.

Banned Read only
    Practice, practice, practice!

Taking better shots takes practice. You just have to learn. Digital makes it easier because you can shoot as much as you like.
    About taking pictures around shopping malls etc., to get a good shot consistently, the trick is focus. Your camera will autofocus on whatever when you push the shutter, when you
    move to get into the shot good chance you're not the same distance as what got focused on. I would guess that most of the really good shots of girls out and about were shot by a friend.
    Its really hard to get everything pointed in the right direction, focused, angled correctly without a few test shots. That takes time and is conspicuous. I do not like to be that conspicuous when I am out. Go to my flickr page. I just took a few outside in the cold and this is a busy street. If someone else is taking the shot it is just so much easier to notice stuff like shadows.
    and can get a sharper focus if you can point the focus point right on your eyes.
    Hugs, Christine
    Just the Girl Next Door
    my ad V
    V

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrissiej

fierce glamazon
    i just use my imac

eventually id like to have professional photos done

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake View Post
    It's quite simple, really.

1. Take a picture
    2. Don't like it
    3. Take another picture
    Repeat as necessary until the stars align, the planets sing, and children dance hand-in-hand (or at least until you find one that doesn't make you look like you've been run over multiple times).

As I said, simple, right?

Kathi

Still looking for one that does not make me look like the pivot point of an amtrack battalion!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]All good things come to "she" who waits!

Semi Sane innocent angel
    Take 100 pics 1 has to be good. Or learn to use photo shop. Disclaimer I look better in pics then in person.
    Last edited by Niya W; 01-04-2011 at 03:14 AM.
    Business is the the art of extracting money from another mans wallet with out resorting to violence

9 out of 10 Dr say I'm sane. The 10th one never made it to the hearing. Did you know that California has drop bears ?

First a groom then a bride. Never again.

Truth, Love, Freedom Angiemead12's Avatar
    I have my girlfriend take them and help me figure out a pose too!

The secrets to self photographing are well... not all that secret...

1. Get a tripod
    2. Get lots and lots of light, every spare lamp you have
    3. Have plenty of spare time
    4. Pick up a HD Video thingy - I just bought a HD Sony Bloggie for about $150, this cuts out all the nonsense as you just film everything then take grabs of the best bits and because it's HD well... You get great quality images
    5. As Chrstine55 mentions above, look directly at the lens
    6. Lots of spare time... oh yeah I already said that

Share and enjoy

Forgot to say

7. Stand very still

Panda xx
    Last edited by panda; 01-04-2011 at 04:28 AM.

1. practice practice practice. 2. find a good photographer friend who is understanding. they think of the coolest poses that, let's just say, are the most flattering of looks. lol. 3. once you've got the poses down, try to get a camera with a remote, so you can rinse and repeat #1. practice practice practice

Whenever I get a pic I like,three things are always consistent ,the lighting is adequate,the distance between the subject and camera is right and then the color of the clothing and makeup work for that shot.

Thank you for asking the question, Kameryn. I've wondered the same thing, many times. I may have misunderstood your question, but, I took it differently from some others. I thought you were asking about the setup, not how to get a good looking result.

From many of the responses, it seems that most rely on a tripod and timer (or remote.) That's fine at home where you have the time and space to set the conditions up the way you wish. Kathi and Panda addressed that very well. Use software to you clean up the photo and you'll be in good shape.

But, location shots seem to be quite a challenge, especially if you are in a busy area and aren't attempting to draw lots of attention to yourself. I've tried doing that with a mini tripod (about 8" tall) that can be set on top of walls or other objects for some quick shots. It works, but, I haven't had results with which I'm satisfied, yet, as I only take a few and then move on to another location before the crowd of curious onlookers builds. (I get nervous when they distribute the torches, rakes, and pitchforks. Lol)

It seems that many people have someone else take the photo for them. That must be great. Whenever I've had the camera with me, I've been alone. I haven't had the confidence to ask a passerby to take it, yet.

I guess we just keep trying until we find a method that works.
    Susan

"Not sure who I am, yet. But, I'll let you know..."

Personally I hire a female stunt double to wear my clothes and I take photos of her... Yeah its a little expensive but the results are awesome!!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    4. Pick up a HD Video thingy - I just bought a HD Sony Bloggie for about $150, this cuts out all the nonsense as you just film everything then take grabs of the best bits and because it's HD well... You get great quality images
    7. Stand very still
    These two are my favorites... would be nice to have a photographer, maybe sometime though (fingers crossed)!

And should you not have a tripod (or use your phone like I usually do), a stack of books or a shelf works alright, just be careful when hitting the camera button not to jiggle it off where you center it! Recording then grabbing screen shots solves this by letting you set up even while recording, and tweak it every 30 seconds or so to find that perfect angle.

Although thanks to this method I have about an hour of myself posing that nobody is ever going to see!.. unless I forget to empty my recycle bin.

Good luck!
    -Celes
    With love,
    - Celes

I'll tell you this Kameryn, a lot of us cannot take afford stunt doubles or have enough time left in our decaying bodies to wait until the stars alighn. So what I do in order to take photos that I think are acceptable enough of myself to show in public is to follow two simple rules:
    1) Always leave the lens cover on
    2) Always take the picture in a dark room with-out a flash

And like others have said.... practice, practice practice. I didn't do this at first and actually had some turn out where you could see me

A lot of good replies from the gals...

I use a tripod and have a self timer that I can set for 2 pictures. Usually I miss the first shot as you said "10 seconds is not enough". Then I take a look at the pose on the second shot and start over knowing how I need to readjust. Like Niya said take a bunch and one of them has to come out good

[SIZE=4]At home I actually use fairly old digital technology, a Sony that records on 3 inch dvds. I use a tripod and 10 second delay or a hand held remote on a 5 foot cable. Of the 300 shots I may take, 20 end up on my flicker site or on my web page.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]For remote locations I usually take a small tripod that is about 12 inches tall and do a few dry runs before I jump in the picture. I use a small 10 megapixel digital for that.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]Practice as much as possible and always smile..[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am a licensed Cosmetologist (hair stylist, not cosmonaut), work as a hair and wig stylist, makeup artist and permanent makeup artist, dressed as you see in my avatar and albums.

My web site www.apparentlyfemale.com

I have over 2,500 pictures on my Flicker site located at http://www.flickr.com/photos/9315394@N02/

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Secrets of a CD model!

Whoa! That's NOT ME!

But, I DO get a good pic now and then! Here's how:

1. Take hundreds, or even thousands, of pics in just seconds! Using a camcorder! And, it works BETTER IF U MOVE AROUND! Pick out the individual frames u like at home!
    My avatar is a camcorder frame!

2. If u use a 10 second timer, step off to the side after u press the shutter! Then, step back into camera view at the depth u want to take the photo. That way, the camera focuses properly!

3. I've found strangers to be very accomodating when asked to take my picture. Even when I'm wearing a mask!
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 01-04-2011 at 12:03 PM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

My new Sony HD camcorder also takes pretty decent pictures and has a remote. the new ones are pretty tiny. I use either a large tripod at home or a mini one when I'm out. At home I also find putting a full length mirror in front of me, right beside the tripod, helps me pose better. Outdoor lighting is usually more kind than a flash. And always clean the exposure and mistakes in the picture with some sort of photoshop program!
    Last edited by Sally24; 01-04-2011 at 12:10 PM.
    Sally

If your out and about and don't have a tri-pod I have taken a Knee kigh nylon stocking filled the foot part with bird seed tied it off, cut it and carry it in my purse -- not too big or heavy. It conforms to uneven surfaces and cradels the camra very steady for taking timer pics

I have my wife take my pictures normally. She has a fair eye for taking pictures; lighting, poses, background, etc. It helps to have a loving mate who aids in my cd-ing!!

Mackenzie