Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how do you ladies take such fabulous pictures?

These have all been mentioned above, but to me the most important things are:
    - tripod
    - shutter timer
    - good lighting
    - smile
    - take lots, keep few
    - photo enhancement software

None of this involves (necessarily) spending lots of money.

Good suggestion, Ms Russell. Above ideas are good. Feel free to take a few mirror shots. Hold the camera at a 45 degree angle to get the camera out of the pic. And be sure to try a few arms length self-portraits. See avatar. Cover the flash half-way with your finger to reduce white-face cause by excessive flash light. Also you can use your cell phone--many have self-timers. Put the phone in a coffee mug to hold it--stuff in a paper towel to firm it up as needed. Sit it on a table or shelf--crouch down or sit in a chair if you cut your head off. And...most important..show us the results!

Suddenly I See
    what? where am i? i don't recognize this planet...
    Self timer, or better yet and intervalometer are key to getting good pics. An intervalometer takes a picture at intervals, and repeats the specified number of times. so if you set it to 4 seconds, and 100 pictures, it will take a photo every 4 seconds, for 100 pictures in a row. ** most cannon point and shoots that don't have this feature can be modified to add it!!! coolest thing ever! google "cannon chdk"

I've actually got a new post on my blog on my phototips - I used to do this for a living, and have figured out a few things that really help for taking great pics on a budget.
    Photo tips blog entry

A tripod is essential, but for out and about, they sell mini ones called "GorillaPods" from Joby These can be wrapped around a railing, or put into all kinds of positions. It weighs like 1 oz, and costs less than $20 for the little one designed for point and shoot cameras!

Hope those help!

Hugs
    Kaylee

Kameryn, I have a Fuji S5700 that I do most of my pics on. The technique I use for portraits, is to hold the camera at arms length at various heights. I find looking up into the camera gives a more flattering pic. I use the built in flash, set the ISO to 100/200/400 at around F6. To soften the flash I sometimes put a bit of an old black or natural stocking over it. This camera also has a macro function which is good for portraits as well. Like others have said, it's digital and it is not costing you film, so take loads of pics. Some of them will be rubbish, but you will get some nice ones. Oh and try to smile, I have been picked up for that a few times. My avatar was done this way. Photography is a hobby of mine, so I know a bit about photoshop, and you will never see the lines or bags under my eyes.
    Margaret
    "She snuck up on me from behind. You'd think women would make more noise with those big high heels, but they don't, they've got this stealth thing going..."

Not sure where I am yet Jay Cee's Avatar
    I don't know if my pics are fabulous or not, but my last "shoot" involved over 100 pics taken by my gf, and some kind of computer photoshop type program.

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    Whoa! That's NOT ME!

But, I DO get a good pic now and then! Here's how:

1. Take hundreds, or even thousands, of pics in just seconds! Using a camcorder! And, it works BETTER IF U MOVE AROUND! Pick out the individual frames u like at home!
    My avatar is a camcorder frame!

2. If u use a 10 second timer, step off to the side after u press the shutter! Then, step back into camera view at the depth u want to take the photo. That way, the camera focuses properly!

3. I've found strangers to be very accomodating when asked to take my picture. Even when I'm wearing a mask!

Point 2 is very important, I use a cheap camera with a 10 second timer and I could never figure out why almost all my pics were so blurry.
    It helped when I started doing what Sherry said!
    Unfortunately I still suck at taking pics but it`s fun and that`s what matters

well i take like 100 pictures to find maybe 10 good ones
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bianca66 View Post
    A lot of good replies from the gals...

I use a tripod and have a self timer that I can set for 2 pictures. Usually I miss the first shot as you said "10 seconds is not enough". Then I take a look at the pose on the second shot and start over knowing how I need to readjust. Like Niya said take a bunch and one of them has to come out good
    That's a pretty good tip. I have a photo studio and shoot part time, and professional models generally can pose on demand. But non-pros tend to anticipate the shot and instantly relax when it goes off, so I shoot them in bursts of 2. If you do this you'll find that the second image is almost always better and shows you relaxed, confident and pretty. The smile is always more natural. Shooting this way will increase the number of photos you get that you will keep.

That, and shooting when you are hanging out with friends and people you feel comfortable with. You always will look relaxed, comfortable and confident.
    Last edited by Michelle.M; 01-04-2011 at 08:16 PM.

Get an inexpensive book on photography, or you may be able to find something online. In one of my previous side ventures I took and sold many photographs to newspaper magazines and slick cover mags. It's all about composition and lighting. If I was lucky, I would get two or three stellar photos out of a hundred. Another 15 to 20 would be OK. Research and then practice. Creative portraits are hard. In the field it's hard to pack around and set up your own lighting. Use the natural lighting to your advantage by keeping it behing the person taking the shot. Or find an isolated light source that can create a Rembrandt effect. Good luck!

The color, background and lighting are important, but the ability to pose as a woman is equally important. About 10 years ago, I showed some gg friends some photos. They laughed and stated that they had to show me how to pose without looking like a linebacker. The correct pose is the right body posture, hand position, leg and foot position and most important a big smile. This takes practice.

Jodi

10 second timers do cause a dilemma. However, practice with it enough times, and I feel like anyone can master it.
    I figure out how I want to pose then, practice it. I make sure I know exactly what I will do. Then I set the camera timer.
    Then hop into position. In most cases, the first time is not always the most successful.
    With anything as I have said constantly those that know me, practice makes perfect.

My photos are a combo of me personally taken them or someone who I have met.

Quote Originally Posted by monika View Post
    Point 2 is very important, I use a cheap camera with a 10 second timer and I could never figure out why almost all my pics were so blurry.
    It helped when I started doing what Sherry said!
    Unfortunately I still suck at taking pics but it`s fun and that`s what matters
    No you do not SUCK at taken pics! Are you kidding me? You are dreaming
    Your photo results look incredible.

Vanity!

There are loads of gadgets and gizmo's out there that can be bought quite cheaply. If you have a DSLR that has a USB connector for uploading your pics to a PC try looking for Phottix Cleon. It's a 2 part transmitter/receiver that allows you to take pics to to 300' away (my avatar was taken using it). Add this to a suction cup camera mount and you can use your car as a giant tripod (or should that be quadpod?) OK a bit difficult to get into a shop or restaurant but for those starting out by using less busy places it can be a great help
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

I brighten the room and record everything, then let the camera software produce stills. I have a Kodak Easyshare somethingorother a General Electric doohickything. On occasion when I'm feeling nostalgic, I'll go for actual snapshots.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
    Oscar Wilde

I use my Fuji S700. You have to have good lighting and find the angle that best
    Captures your face. I also use the self timer. Take 10 pictures maybe keep 2.

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    2. If u use a 10 second timer, step off to the side after u press the shutter! Then, step back into camera view at the depth u want to take the photo. That way, the camera focuses properly!
    I fought this one for quite a while until I realized that the camera focuses when the shutter button is pressed, so I have to step off to the side *while* (not after) I press the shutter button. I can hear the autofocus working and then the countdown light starts blinking...

If you really "suck" at taking photos Monika then it's a darn good thing you found someone that can take thier subject matter to the max - cuz your looks dear.. are to dream for.

I've kind of reached a place where I am in a rut with this. I use a tripod and a basic Canon DSLR and use the wireless remote. Again these are all inside shots. I have taken a few outside on my mobile phone with very limited success!

I've reached a point, where I can't seem to get them much better..i.e. they are all looking the same, and I can't seem to improve... so I need to experiment a bit. I tend to photograph when away from home and just using the room's lighting... so no pro lighting I am afraid!

Then it is as everyone else has said.. take a few hundred and maybe one will be a keeper! Though it will need cropping, etc..
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings