Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your day job???

The avvy pic isn't me
    Good ol' fashioned blue collar laborer here. Spent most of my work life as a lumber mill worker, at least till the tree huggers and economy have reduced the jobs to nothing. What other jobs i've had are still of the manufacturing/industrial variety. Have a 2 year degree in Horticulture, but it doesn't get me much these days. I'm mostly doing seasonal work as a professional chemical applicator - mosquito killer.

Cassie

I must agree with you about art.

Myself: Main profession for years was as a software consultant, but have had to switch to blue collar running a waterjet machines. But, I worked as a technical director in live theater for 25 years (volunteer work for non-profits); owned a tv production company and did videography and directed multi-camera for tv; owned a record label and produced about 30 CDs carried by an international distributor; composed music for full orchestra and smaller.

My dad, also a crossdresser: Best known as a photographer for most major publications in the world including Time, Life, National Geographic, Stern, many newspapers, and so on. Later in life he learned to fly and became a commercial pilot, then worked in industrial equipment sales then finally ran a bookstore.

My son, also with crossdresser leanings: Incredible artist, done publishable anime style work, played violin, but to survive works in a hardware store selling paint, while at the same time in the National Guard as a truck driver.

So, for me art and design is my passion but I do other things to survive. I feel that engineering is very creative work, and also qualifies as a form of art, because for me, when I'm doing something like heavy coding, or writing help info all day long, I have no creativity left for music at the end of the day. So, to me those of you that say you do engineering, I think you have a combination of both left and right brain functions working together in harmony.

Hugs,
    Ann

Construction Build Barns at the present
    The reason you close your eyes when you dream, when you kiss, and when you pray is because the best things in life aren't seen with your eyes, but are felt with your heart.

Platinum Member
    Not me. I'm a consultant in health care administration.

I've noticed that a whole lot of us are in computer related fields, like network engineering or some such (like me!). But I also enjoy playing music, poetry, writing, acting, and a whole slough of other arts-related activities.

That many of us enjoy the arts comes as no surprise at all to me. It takes something of a creative mind to pull this off with any success at all!

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Teacher

fierce glamazon
    Quote Originally Posted by TGMarla View Post
    I've noticed that a whole lot of us are in computer related fields, like network engineering or some such (like me!). But I also enjoy playing music, poetry, writing, acting, and a whole slough of other arts-related activities.

That many of us enjoy the arts comes as no surprise at all to me. It takes something of a creative mind to pull this off with any success at all!
    i think there may be some self selection going on seeing that the people that use this forum have elected to use technology to make social connections...

Retired now, truck driver most of my working days, finished as a book keeper for a small corp.
    Tina B.
    I always thought we where heavy in macho trades, such as military or engineers and things like that. You know, a lot of us seem to over compensate.

Tina B.

Retired now but I do still work with horses. I was everything from a 'cowboy' to a school administrator with much of my adult life as a secondary teacher.
    I think there is no common thread of employment among us. We are what we are and do what we do (work) to survive.
    joank
    Southern California

Live it! Love it! BeckyAnderson's Avatar
    I'm a Systems Engineer. Gave up working for some else and started my own business doing computer/network/infrastructure services for home and small to medium sized businesses.

I am a retired farm equipment technician.
    [SIZE="4"]Mary Jane[/SIZE]

May those that love us, love us. Those that don't love
    us may God turn their hearts. And if he can't turn their
    hearts, may he turn their ankles, so we'll know them by their limping.

I am a business Consultant.

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    I work in major Supermarket (ASDA).Theres nothing about my day job,well night job that could be described as Artistic,unless you consider facing up 3 aisles of tins Artistic

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

In the closet - for now. Shadeauxmarie's Avatar
    I am in Nuclear Power.
    May you live long and prosper.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combinations.
    "Smiling makes my face ache." F. N. Furter

right now I"m an artist for the state-I draw unemployment- master electrician

Investment Banker

Another programmer here.

I have a BS degree in commercial art and have worked in advertising for 40 yrs - self employed for most of it. I too had this theory about cd/ing and being artistic also I am ambidextrous and feel that has something to do with how we approach our cd/ing tendencies. Or mabe it's just anyone who is mechanical, works with their hands, artistic, has tunnel vision, breathes air or walks up right - I dont know, tried to lay the blame on something but keep spinning in circles .... I'am dizzy and my compass dosent point to true north....dont know where I fit in

Writer, copy editor and some television work. Before that, in the military for a while.....

Quote Originally Posted by shadeauxmarie View Post
    i am in nuclear power.
    excellent!

I'm a Structural engineer. I like to think I'm somewhat creative. Some of the non-standard structures I have to design are VERY creative (for stuctures). Most of that creativity stems from necessity (like it just won't fit any other way) and other creativity is just because. I learned early on that I have many "creative" ideas. Usually most ideas die in the brain filter saying "if I say that, I'll get laughed out of the office", but sometimes I try to present these ideas as "out of the box" thinking.

I also like to build things out of wood. Unfortunately, there is only a small amount of creativity but still some.
    Kim

"I just gotta be me"

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    I'm helpless at the visual arts of any sort, except for occasional flashes in my dreams.

I am, though, "an artist" in my technical programming, in the sense that some of the work I do is a great deal beyond the capacity of the average programmer.

hi . i am in the building trade . that could be a bit art. ?
    love deanna .

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I was a data geek, operations analyst for city government. I also did cartography and a lot of technical writing. All that is "was". I am retired and a caregiver for my wife who is fighting cancer and her parents who are nearing 90.

I love to write fiction and do photography when time permits, but it never paid the rent.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Operations Director in equipment manufacturing. Used to work at the big aerospace company and a big shipyard...all production operations work making big stuff out of little parts. Not too artsy except dancing around commitments and drawing unreasonable conclusions or acting like those engineering mistakes won´t cause delays.