Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your day job???

Bartender by trade, wanna teach junior high-aged students eventually. Probably won't do either as Dani.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
    Oscar Wilde

There are all kinds of people here.
    warmly, Linnea

I work in computers which I guess is rather dull but one of the main advantages is that I can work from home... I'll let you figure out the rest

I have two occupations:

Most of the time I work for the phone company install/repair resident/business phone and DSL (15 yrs). Sometimes the phone company lets me leave and I go do my previous job in radiation protection at commerical nuclear power plants (been working in that field since the Navy.... so 30 yrs).

There used be some art work in the drawing of survey maps for those unique items that no one bothers making copies of but now all the maps are on computer.

Running phone jacks in peoples houses can be kind of fun. The different ways you can run the wire and make it look nice.

I do like to draw and can't sit at a table without picking up a pen and paper and just drawing whatever I feel like. I once drew houses for a catalog but that seemed liked too much work and not enough enjoyment.

Silver Member
    It is often said that we have a higher percentage of scientists, engineers, technical people etc. than the general population, and in my experience I have found this to be true. Why I am not sure... maybe a desire to make sense of the world given the chaos around us? Who knows. I have a BS degree in computer science and was a software engineer for a couple years out of college until my job was outsourced (*grumble!*) and I ended up transitioning to being a PC technician and doing tech support. Later on I found myself in electrology. These are all technically, well, technical in nature, but are certainly part science and part art.

As you can see from these posts, there is a very strong preponderence of people here are technically employed, either in computers or in other types of engineering or technology (including myself, although I'm retired).
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

I was an accountant, which could be very creative. Before I was thrust down that career path I had worked as a stagehand and as a roadie.

I like to be creative with DIY around the home and helping my wife with her dressmaking, and I dabble in web design.
    Rachel,

As a crossdresser my personality has several facets. Therefore, I suppose I can be forgiven for being facetious.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    I have never been very artistic - except for food presentation.

For about 35 years I worked in IT moving up from Trainee Programer through Analyst and Project leader to Systems Analyst and Data Base designer then on to Business Analysis.

For the last few years I have been in a role that combines my passion for excellence in Customer Service with PC Support. The nearest I come to being artistic with that is in the way that I present bad news to my customers
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

I work daily in the trades I enjoy creative activity when I can find time. building things creating articles of iron or wood seems working with my hands is important to me creative or not.

I have been in Produce for 40 plus years. Everything from lettuce trimmer to buyer (LA, SF markets) to Director of a small California supermarket chain.
    Dance like no one is watching
    Sing like you're in the shower
    Work like you don't have to

I was a dual major in college -- Computer Science and Music with a concentration in Jazz Performance.

Auto Technician. and the hands to prove it.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Hi,

46 years in the building trade as a tradesman & proud of it both as a male & as a woman .
    im retired now of cause tho still do a bit.
    I worked as self employed & had men working for me & under me. still deal with a number of trades as iv done over the years.
    i designed building s & built them tho most of my work was in the heavy industry schools, banks. factorys .& the like.& working for firms .

...noeleena...

I'm in IT. However, one of the things I like about that job is designing, usually enterprise systems. At home, I'm the one that stencils the walls and does the cooking. I'm also gaga about makeup. I guess you could say those things illustrate my artsy side.

I drive a tow truck and last week i got a call from one of the local shops to remove a truck from a lift in the shop that was hanging from the right front tire about 9 feet off the ground while the left rear tire was on the floor. it took two trucks to lift the whole truck off of the floor and move the lift, then lower the truck to the floor in one piece. They said it was a work of art to watch me do it, so i guess that makes me an artist.

Platinum Member
    Notning artsy working in the heavy petrolem industry Master Electrican 40yrs.

Orchid

Retired railroad engineer.

I retired from the fire service 5 years ago.

Currently I am it the space between art and technology, as a sound tech. I operate sound systems for concerts and shows. In my spare time I get a bit creative with woodworking and sewing.

Follow your dream.
    I'm a director at an international bank. I look after BancAssurance sales distribution.

I'm a bus driver, Airbus that is. With a low cost airline. And i did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night. LOL!! I'm also a Libra, which are people who like art and things pleasing to the eye.

Huggs, Renee
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [SIZE="2"]Huggs, Renee [/SIZE]

Cruise Director - always got to play back stage with the makeup, costumes, wigs !!! Was always jealous of the dancers.

Suddenly I See
    what? where am i? i don't recognize this planet...
    I'm a web developer - fill the technical and the artsy side of web for my company.

one post mentioned that it seems like the community is a higher percentage of science / tech people, and while our community (the forum) does seem this way, I think that this being an internet forum skews the results as to how they would apply to the CD/TG community at large. I'm not sure that you can draw to much about the larger community from the sample we have here.

Still it is very interesting to see all the jobs that we are doing! from tow truck driver to bank directors!

Hugs
    Kaylee

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    vocation: chemist
    avocation: classical musician

tina

Industrial chemist - but I definitely have a "wordy" brain rather than the stereotypical male spatial skills. Hopeless at anything in visual arts.

Technical project manager. Very logical, quite aggressive (in a good way!). Quite like the occasional 'arty' work - preparing drawings, presentations, etc.