Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Why are we so afraid of being thought of as Gay?

Quote Originally Posted by clayfish View Post
    I'll give you a short answer to this question.

It's because too many members find it difficult to remember that although many of us use female names on this site, and some of us use gender-neutral names, not all of us like being referred to as "girls", as in "Hi girls."

Whenever this happens and my gender/sexuality is confused/abused in this way, I make a point of reminding the poster that I am a heterosexual male who happens to like wearing women's clothing.

Tamara has actually posted a "sticky", so big is the problem.
    Clay,

Funny you mention that , I have always felt a little offended when called a girl even tho I can understand why most choose to refer to us that way. I am not a TS and I do not wish to become a female, I just have a dressing fetish .

While dressed I still act the same as in DRAB , I walk talk and move as a male (prolly cause I am one)..I do not feel I am denying anything while feeling this way to me it's natural just as many here feel it is natural to want to be a girl..

This is one of the biggest reasons I feel what I do is a curse, due to and not only because of emulating a girl in apperance but remaining as a male inside. If I was to be more opened about the emulating as many here are ,then I would think IMHO that in doing so is letting the world know I do wish to be a girl. I am not open because of that reason .

I know hard to understand , we are what we are I suppose and in saying that would be confessing to others by being open to the world " Hey look everyone I want to be a girl"!!
    I do not!! Claim to be an expert on any topic, when I post a new thread or reply on any thread my imput is strickly that of a crossdresser. Not to offend Gay people , Transexuals or any other life style, I am only commenting on one of my own.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    I understand up to a point, Rianna, but don't quite follow how stating MY sexuality offends YOU.
    For those who missed it in all of my previous contributions, I am not offended by a statement of sexuality where it adds something to the discussion or helps to explain the poster's point of view on a particular subject.

As I have said on multiple occasions in this thread, what does offend me is people who have to ram their sexuality down others' throats when it has no bearing on the discussion.

Without seeking to judge Clay in any way, I feel stating his sexuality because he was wrongly addressed as a girl adds nothing positive to the correction.

To try to make my point even more plain, I will take two hypothetical examples:

1 In a thread about relationships, I feel a statement of sexuality would be totally appropriate and might even add to the discussion. If I were contributing and felt that it would explain my thinking, I might state my sexuality in such a context.

2 In a thread about how to apply eye-liner, I feel that a statement of sexuality is inappropriate and may be offensive if expressed by a negative.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by Rianna Humble View Post
    I understand up to a point, Clay, but don't quite follow how addressing you wrongly as a girl challenges your sexuality.

Do you not think that "I am a male who happens to like wearing women's clothing" would be sufficient response to someone saying "Hi girls"?
    It doesn't challenge my sexuality, Rianna. It annoys me that people who do this are thoughtless and disrespectful of the person I am. Is it asking too much to expect people to always bear in mind that there are many of us here who have not the slightest desire to be female? That, and the fact that Tamara's "sticky" is ignored time and time again will ALWAYS cause me to be blunt almost to the point of rudeness on this issue.

And in response to this quote from Lucy ...

This is one of the biggest reasons I feel what I do is a curse, due to and not only because of emulating a girl in apperance but remaining as a male inside. If I was to be more opened about the emulating as many here are ,then I would think IMHO that in doing so is letting the world know I do wish to be a girl. I am not open because of that reason .
    There is no need for you to feel that you need to be open to emulating a girl in appearance. Your dressing fetish, like mine, focuses on the clothes (outward raiment), probably because you and I are extremely tactile and imaginative. I know that my mind is not confused or guilt-ridden about who I am. I suspect that you will eventually reach the same conclusion.

Wow, this thread has really opened my mind up to some things.

1) I have been one of those who tend to open my threads with, “Hi Girls/Ladies…” or some such, under the assumption that all the people on this site would feel as I do about being addressed in a fem mode. Bad Mina: I hereby promise to not do that any more!

2) Some of us here are way too quick to take offence at things that are not meant to be offensive! The whole chip on the shoulder “I’m going to pick apart everything I read and hunt up every possible offence and slam the poster…” attitude is truly ridiculous. I know that I’ve read at least two threads this week alone where the OP has had his/her thread totally hi-jacked by someone ranting about how offended they were by the way the poster said something.

3) Some of us here (and I may have been part of this group… hopefully no more) are way too insensitive to the feelings of others. We need to all be aware of the diversity of this group and to clarify, as much as is reasonable, points and generalizations that we make so as to avoid offending people. Let me stress “as much as is reasonable.” It is not reasonable to amend and footnote EVERY comment just avoid offending every possible person you could offend, but we should all try to avoid the most obvious pit traps.

We need to find a middle ground. Let’s all be a little more forgiving of out fellows here – I don’t think we have too many professional writers, so some of our post may not stand up to those standards, so let’s all give each other a break!

And as far as declaring you sexual orientation? I agree with Rianna: it should only be brought up when it’s truly relevant to the conversation. But to be offended when it’s not relevant? Just ignore it and move on! If it’s really bad, send the poster a PM and let them know, as politely as possible, what you think.
    Mina Lost aka Lynda

Quote Originally Posted by BARBARA_MELENDEZ View Post
    I really like this thread, even when it takes other direction. I am a closeted gay crossdresser and sometimes I feel an urge to come out but I always back up because of fear of the consequences also in part of because I can't really accept myself being either gay or crossdresser. I know self acceptance is the most important thing but I feel I am struggling with acceptance at the moment.
    Barbara, is it possible that you are having a hard time accepting yourself as gay because you are afraid of what others will think of you? For me, I find that more and more that when I see a pretty girl I'm thinking of what they are wearing and how they made themselves look pretty, and when I see a pretty guy I'm thinking of how sexy their body is in that clothing. I'm leaning towards more gay then straight- but my point is that I don't have to come out to other people. I'm coming out to myself, and that's all that really matters. Gay, straight, bi, whatever- I am who I am and as long as I like who I am, then I'm fine with it. I've seen your photos as a guy, and as a girl- and I think that the "real" Barbara is a very BEAUTIFUL personality inside of your body! Don't worry about how you are labeled.

I am a male CDer who has never had a gay experience...up to this point. I have never claimed to be straight, nor have I ever said I wasn't gay, here or elsewhere. I love dressing in women's clothes. I am turned on by (some...increasingly less) women and by (close to) passing CDs, TSs, etc. I have never really been turned on by a man, so far at least, and I can't see ever being turned on by a "manly man". However, I am turned on by the idea of someday experiencing different plumbing, no matter the form or orientation. This means I don't rule out anything, although staying celebate the rest of my life is the most likely option. The men I would be attracted to would be more like me...gender-bending sorts.

I too have been offended, at times, by posters who regularly throw in the "I'm not gay", or bring up their spouse as (I believe) a defense mechanism. To each their own, but it seems bizarre to me that a Cder wouldn't admit to being bi-curious. After all, their dressing indicates they are, in my opinion.

I can say many of the people in my life have suspected I might be gay, including my ex-wife, former girlfriends, women who have shown an interest in me and been spurned, some members of my family etc. I have always openly defended gay marriage, admitted to what I'd do if faced with a "Crying Game" moment, as well as stating my favorite movie of the last twenty years is probably "Hedwig and the Angry Inch".

To quote Tranny Tee from above, I have always said, "I y'am what I y'am..."

I agree with those who say sexual orientation should really only come up when it's pertinent, especially here. However I also believe in free speech, so I don't think anyone should have posts edited or deleted for mentioning it.

I've been thinking about this for a couple of days now and thinking about when the "I'm not" bothers me. There is the very long thread about would you consider dating a guy and I think that is the place it really got to me. People would pop in to say yes or no to the question but then others would phrase it so that to me it came out more along the lines of "of course not, that is wrong" No one actually wrote, it was more the impression I was left with.

I live in the real world! DaphneGrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janice Lester View Post
    I've been thinking about this for a couple of days now and thinking about when the "I'm not" bothers me. There is the very long thread about would you consider dating a guy and I think that is the place it really got to me. People would pop in to say yes or no to the question but then others would phrase it so that to me it came out more along the lines of "of course not, that is wrong" No one actually wrote, it was more the impression I was left with.
    Yes I know what mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Anne View Post
    No clue. I like manwiches so I have no idea aside from crossdressing does not instantly mean you are not some homophobic bigot?
    Perhaps you are correct Stephanie and Crossdressing does not instantly mean you are not some homophobic bigot. Much the same way being transexual certainly doesn't make you a lady!

I get that you like stop into these threads so you can tell and everybody you are a transexual, work in that you are straight and manage to voice your disdain for us transgender folk who are searching for balance in our lives without transitioning.

If you really need go through all that to make yourself feel good you could at least try and offer something constructive to the conversation.
    Last edited by DaphneGrey; 02-01-2011 at 07:55 AM.

Banned Read only
    As a completely heterosexual male, who happens to be a cross-dresser, I can understand why we say we are not gay. It's because the uninformed and misinformed think we are gay. When I was young I had been propositioned by gay men, even in the presence of my wife! Go figure how brazen some people can be. Of course, my wife would have gotten her claws out if that person was a woman too. If as a cross-dresser you are out in an establishment or event that has gay men, then I believe it is wise to declare your sexual preferences. Why waste time and drinks on someone that is unattainable. I would hope a lesbian would declare to a male that she is not available in the same manner. There are many heterosexuals who limit dating to their own select group- ethnic, religion, etc. I am a stay at home cross-dresser. I don't have to field that question other than to have reassure my wife.

As to bi-curious? As a male in male attire- nope, never. En femme- it's a fantasy that will remain a fantasy just as wanting to make love to an unattainable beautiful woman remains a fantasy. Sometimes it is better to keep a fantasy a fantasy. Sometimes realizing a fantasy does not meet the person's expectation.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    In the context that you quote, Stephanie, it is completely proportionate to declare your preference.

Where some of us find it inappropriate is on threads in these forums which have no bearing on sexuality or availability for any kind of relationship.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

I think this has a lot to do with not wanting to be labeled, and not have our thoughts and feelings defined for us according to a stereotype that someone else has in mind without knowing our whole stories. My wife and I have a good friend who's gay, who doesn't know I CD. As far as I know, he doesn't CD himself--he's a "bear" who's into other "bears", generally (so he's a hairy burly dude who likes hairy burly dudes). He wouldn't want to be labeled a drag queen because he's gay anymore than I'd want to be labeled as gay because I crossdress.

First, "what you mean we, kimmosabe?"
    Otherwise, you're making a good point. Those who CONSTANTLY spout off where it isn't necessary just sound like Larry Craig holding that press conference.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

What was the question? Oh yeah, Why are we so afraid of being thought of being gay.

The short and simple answer is; I am a male to female crossdresser, I am also a male that is submissive to his woman, I also smoke cigarettes. So that males me a submissive crossdressing smoker. Gee, so now if anyone labels me with one more minority thing, it would be just to much! lol One more label and no one would think of me as just what I am. That is a normal red blooded American male that happens to like women.

I think most crossdressers worry far less about being considered gay than the average male. What makes people upset is that so many people think there are just two classes of gender variations, straight and gay. They think you are not a normal male and must therefore be gay, oblivious to the diversity of crossdressers, transsexuals, intersex, bisexual, etc.

Personally, I don't mind if people incorrectly think I might be gay, because I don't think there is anything wrong with homosexuality. Well, except for my wife. She knows the real me, and nobody else really needs to know.
    Juno Michelle Krahn

Normal people are weird. Stealth is another word for "in the closet".

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by DaphneGrey
    Why are we so afraid of being thought of as Gay?
    [SIZE="2"]I don’t mind being thought of as gay at all, so THERE…[/SIZE]

It seems that many in our community can’t make any type of comment on any thing without working into the post "I am not gay". Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.
    [SIZE="2"]I'm glad you asked...

It’s because we aren’t to the point where people are beyond making distinctions between one person and another – it’s all about strength and weakness (in their minds), and perceived weakness is a bad thing that needs to be avoided, marginalized, or eliminated, for the good of society. Sensibilities are bad, unless you’re making money (and using power) being in touch with them, and communication via feelings is also bad, in the eyes of those who run the world…

Therefore, even in this “community” of semi-forgotten souls, being homosexual carries certain connotations that some people cannot stomach, for one reason or another. It’s surprising to me that this prejudice exists here, of all places, but, on the other hand, it’s an enlightening look into the minds of crossdressers in all their myriad forms. Sadly, just because a man dresses as a woman now and then does not necessarily imbue him with non-masculine characteristics, and a golden opportunity to gain understanding for “alternative” human sexuality is lost or neglected. Add to this that the image of male homosexuality has changed over the years, yet some people still prefer the effeminate stereotype and ACT upon that. Here in America, males are very insecure with their sexuality, and that fact tinges every expression, be it crossdressing or the words that are written supposedly in support of it…
    [/SIZE]

Being thought of as gay?... by who? ....My GF? ...My friends? ....gay guys?

I am a pretty boring heterosexual, but as long as I go out in public dressed as a woman, I am the T in LGBT. I'm happy being thought of as transgender.

I've taken some interest in LGBT issues even though I'm not interested in participating in activism.

Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post
    [SIZE="2"]I don’t mind being thought of as gay at all, so THERE…[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]I'm glad you asked...

It’s because we aren’t to the point where people are beyond making distinctions between one person and another – it’s all about strength and weakness (in their minds), and perceived weakness is a bad thing that needs to be avoided, marginalized, or eliminated, for the good of society. Sensibilities are bad, unless you’re making money (and using power) being in touch with them, and communication via feelings is also bad, in the eyes of those who run the world…

Therefore, even in this “community” of semi-forgotten souls, being homosexual carries certain connotations that some people cannot stomach, for one reason or another. It’s surprising to me that this prejudice exists here, of all places, but, on the other hand, it’s an enlightening look into the minds of crossdressers in all their myriad forms. Sadly, just because a man dresses as a woman now and then does not necessarily imbue him with non-masculine characteristics, and a golden opportunity to gain understanding for “alternative” human sexuality is lost or neglected. Add to this that the image of male homosexuality has changed over the years, yet some people still prefer the effeminate stereotype and ACT upon that. Here in America, males are very insecure with their sexuality, and that fact tinges every expression, be it crossdressing or the words that are written supposedly in support of it…
    [/SIZE]
    I love your posts! Thank you this was very insightful

This thread has had more people missing the point than a broken pencil support group and more circular arguments than a public speaking society that only debates the merits of carousels. The ones complainig most about labels only seem botherd by labels when it's about being gay. Proclaiming you aren't gay is yet another label that quite a few are whinig about not wanting to be labelled are keen to wear

I'm not out to impress anyone either, just doing what I love. If I ever did go out to a meeting, it wouldn't matter. I got a ring on my finger, so that's all they get to know.
    "If you think you can or can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

I don't care what other people think, strangers that is.. Of course my friends and family members that I've told about me being transgender did ask and I said no. As for being out in public, etc and people thinking whatever, I really don't care. There was a point a few months back when I did, however, I reached a point awhile back when drab consisted of womens jeans and top with womens sneakers, etc and I would still have eyeliner on, sometimes my nails were pink, and my wife said to me "Put your wig and boobs on, you look like a homo" and I had to think about it for a second and realized, "I don't care" and would continue on out the door as I was.

When I think about it, I suppose I could be considered gay, if I look at it that I am a woman attracted to women and perhaps someday I will have the body of a woman and end up being a lesbian

Quote Originally Posted by Fab Karen View Post
    First, "what you mean we, kimmosabe?"
    Otherwise, you're making a good point. Those who CONSTANTLY spout off where it isn't necessary just sound like Larry Craig holding that press conference.

Hey Tonto I mean many or some but not all.

Truth, Love, Freedom Angiemead12's Avatar
    Im afraid to be though of as gay because my father would have a heart attack.

I recently accepted that it would be ok with me and my partner if society thought I was gay. As long as we know the truth along with our friends then why should we care.

But its tricky as I am a business man and Im also afraid of what may happen to my business partners!

What to do?!

Being Transgender and being part of the gay community is more about humanity then your sexuality. I know it is difficult for many of us and our families, who have never associated with the gay community, to embrace this. We may think being transgendered has enough stigma without mixing gay into it. The following are some points on how embracing the gay community has been beneficial for me.

Acceptance
    Since the beginning when I started going out I have been going to gay bars and have always been accepted. Now gay bars are one of my venues of choice, not only for the acceptance but also socially as a place, where I have friends. Then there are many transgendered events hosted by the local gay bars, of course there are the drag shows, but there is also much more. In Western Michigan the Douglas Dunes Resort host one of the largest TG weekend events twice a year. The TG community is always welcomed at the Dunes but these weekends the emphasis is on the TG community. There is much more that I could go into but the gay community does accept us and is compassionate about TG equality. There are also other local bars that support the transgendered community with events.

Support
    In Western Michigan, we have recently started a transgendered support group as part of The Network, a local GLBT organization. We started out small but at our last monthly meeting had a broad range of TG demographics represented. There were CDs just coming out, a 13 year old FTM with his mother and grandmother with him, and a broad spectrum of CDs. It was heartwarming to be able to answer so many questions at the meeting and the support has continued with exchanges of emails and follow up meetings. I have been part of this group for several months and it is great to see our vision fulfilled of lessening the pain for others that we have all experienced. What started out with just few people is growing and making a difference. This would never have happen without the support of the The Network and the gay community.

Patti
    It's not about gender it's about fashion www.flickr.com/photos/9438546@N08/sets

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angiemead12 View Post
    Im afraid to be though of as gay because my father would have a heart attack.

I recently accepted that it would be ok with me and my partner if society thought I was gay. As long as we know the truth along with our friends then why should we care.

But its tricky as I am a business man and Im also afraid of what may happen to my business partners!

What to do?!
    This is valid concern. We quite reasonably assume that people holding deep seated prejudices may act upon those prejudices to our detriment . I've worked with a number of openly gay men and women who were successful in overcoming this prejudice, but I can only imagine the obstacles they faced along the way.

I have never worked with an individual was openly a cross dresser, and if I worked with anyone who was in transition or already had transitioned, I didn't know it. Clearly, we have a reasonable fear of hurting ouselves professionally by being open about ourselves to co-workers, clients or customers.
    Last edited by kimdl93; 02-03-2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: additional thought