Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you say?

Angry What do you say?

Goodevening all..

Just a bit of a rant really. I was in college today (psychology) and I can't remember exactly what was being discussed but it turned to CDers, TG and Drag Queens. It was alright discussion at first but someone then nicely said that any man that dresses in female cloths is gay and a pervert. What do you say to something like that? It made me really angry. What made it even worse was my lecturer didn't say anything.. Now I am happy to listen to everyones opinions but that was something that was really unacceptable to be said and i would have thought the lecturer would have thought the same!

Rant over...

Hugs Kalyan

Call them a moron.

Edit:
    Sorry, close minded people irritate the hell out of me.

Deep in the Heart of Texas..okay..DFW area
    Hi Kalyan, sorry you had to hear such close minded positions..but it is one's opinion. But I'm surprised that you didnt state whether there was a rebuttle by other students or if the discussion went any further? Topics like this normally draws out other feeds, such as "is the person trying to state that all gays are perverts?????".

Not sure if I would have but at this moment I'm wondering if I would have said "why do you think that?", knowing that all would suspect that I was a crossdresser first or gay.
    Marissa

"You better look hard and look twice,
    ...is that me, baby or just a brilliant disguise?"- The Boss

I have told people like that, the truth.... I've had this discussion with some Cosmo Radio DJs via Face Book after they made a similar remark and proceeded to educate them.. Since then we have had some good online and discussions and they have discussed it on the air. The more you communicate the truth with people the more they become used to you being as normal as they are... I have made many male and female friends who know and accept me as I am, as a human that dresses a bit differently. Funny but catting with a ghranmother from Indiana about cars or a house wife from Kyt about the steelers or a young woman about makeup or working out.... Take my reality and pushes it out onto others and makes it theirs!!
    Last edited by Karren H; 01-18-2011 at 04:58 PM.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

They need to go to advanced psychology where they can learn more about people and their situtations and issues.

Tell them plain and simple that they are ignorant to the facts. But then again they probably wouldn't understand.
    One day your life is going to pass before your eye's, Make sure it is worth watching.

Eddie Izzard said it best "I am an action tranvestite".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bethanyannstratford/

On three different occasions I have had the opertunity to help in out reach programs in these psychology classes at the university of Georgia. It was fun and we had a lot of students there asking questions. But didn't have too many sly remarks but you will always have one you just have too look over them and go on with what you have to say.

Aspiring Member
    Is that your opinion or is it a fact? On what authority can you make such an outrageous statement? I know a CD and she is married and has children.......if and when the person tries to defend his opinion, just make up something about your make believe CD'er based upon what you have read here. Don't deny that some CD'ers are gay but big deal; there are straight people in all walks of life as well.

I'd ask if they know anyone who dresses, if not, how can them make that generalization. You can say you knew someone who does, and they are just as 'normal' as anyone else.

Aspiring Member
    what's wrong with being gay? That's what I would've said. That should shut most of them up in our era of political correctness. As far as the pervert aspect. That is subjective.

Hi Kalyan,

How about scheduling a few minutes with the lecturer to explain your concerns to him or her? Maybe the record can be set straight in the next class.

Hugs, Paola

Haydée (pronounced Heidi) silhouette's Avatar
    tell them that your dad or whoever is a cross dresser

that would have shut them up and made them feel pretty stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Kaly View Post
    ...someone then nicely said that any man that dresses in female cloths is gay and a pervert. What do you say to something like that?
    You say that they are entitled to their opinion but that they are totally wrong about this. Then you ask them where exactly they got their information (this is an academic situation after all and should thus be run accordingly) then you explain to them that even since the early sexual studies (you can even use Masters and Johnson the icons of such studies) it has been shown that the majority and the overwhelming majority of crossdressers have been in fact heterosexual males who are not in anyway "perverted" (another inflamatory and really not well defined word). Then you calmly sit and watch them turn bright red from anger and embarassment.

You gain so much more power in these situations by acting calm and in control. The lecturer may have in fact been waiting for someone to logically argue the point. I would, in fact, ask that professor (assuming taht the person running the class is indeed at least a PhD and not some poor graduate student who has no experience, to follow through wit hthis discussion. It is after all a psychology class and not a theology or creative writing group
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Unfortunately there are a lot of unenlightened folks out there and even a comment by the teacher will likely not change this person's opinion. It seems that they already have their mind made up and little is going to change it. Consider former Vice President Dick Cheney whose daughter was a lesbian but because of his political party couldn't openly accept her being gay.

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

What do you say?...Nothing...

Never interrupt an idiot when they are in the process of hanging themselves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I've had luck in visiting with the teacher in their office sometime after the class and asking them to clarify what was said in class. This lets the instructor know you were listening (yes, it may also result in 'brownie' points) and it can bring the discussion back in a future class with better information with the weight of the instructor behind it. It's particularly effective if you bring some resources supporting your take on things to the meeting.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

I sum it up to this

Now some Cder's wanna date men, they say they are not Gay because they where born with a female brain..Now in reality( societys opinion) they where born a male to the general public would make them...gay

Now some Cders say they are lesbians.. Taking what was said above with having a female brain and the general publics knowledge of lesbians as ..Yes being gay..

Now we have others here who just have fantacy's of being with a man " but will never re-act to them " Kinda Gay? I guess don't kniow not saying and I will try and get to my point.

We have people here who only see men when dressed as a female ..Bi...I am guessing again no expert..

Then we have those who absolutly stand firm there is not an ounce of attraction to another male even dressed , who are married and are very happy..

I can understand the confusion and they locked jaw of the lecturer could have turened into a heated debate or a simple no would have answered it just as well, clothing isn't a sexual preferance.. I wear mens clothing most of the time does this mean I am Gay because all the gay guys I know only wear clothing for men? Confussed..like everyone else I guess..
    I do not!! Claim to be an expert on any topic, when I post a new thread or reply on any thread my imput is strickly that of a crossdresser. Not to offend Gay people , Transexuals or any other life style, I am only commenting on one of my own.

It would be hard not to say something, even if it outted me. I would probably say something like "That would be offensive to gays and crossdressers." And then go off on the copious amounts of sex studies that have been done.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    It's unfortunate that many people believe CDs r all "gay and/or pervs". But, they DO! And, unless you're an experienced speaker, with many facts and references at your fingertips, it's not likely you'd change many minds in your class room!
    THAT'S also unfortunate!

Kaly, u REALLY DON'T KNOW why your proff let that remark go. And, u NEVER WILL unless u ask!

It's possible he just DIDN'T WANT TO GO THERE at that moment!? But, I don't know either!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I think the first thing I would have said is, "Obviously you've been watching to much Jerry Springer"

How about this:

Can you cite any papers in the professional literature (juried publications that do not allow members of the editorial board to submit papers for publication) that support your position?

Your classmates need to know that if they plan to practise psychology, they cannot pass judgement on their clients. If they do, they cannot help them.

The instructor needs to know that at least one person disagrees with what was said. It's his/her professional obligation to present material that does not disagree with the general thrust of what appears in the professional literature. I doubt that there is much evidence to support your classmate's claim to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by Paola Lobos View Post
    Hi Kalyan,

How about scheduling a few minutes with the lecturer to explain your concerns to him or her? Maybe the record can be set straight in the next class.

Hugs, Paola
    There you go, good response.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

What about the G.D. "professor" or lecturer. Why was that moron that said what he said allowed by the lecturer to say such an ignorant and hate filled statement?

Now what the OP needed to do is raise his hand, and speak up. Or, at the end of the lecture, have a chat with the lecturer.

I hate to come down on the OP, but you let a grand opportunity for some REAL education slip right through your fingers.
    "I am not altogether on anyone's side as no one is all together on my side"
    Tree beard. Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.

I went back to university as a middle-aged adult in a part-time program to complete a degree. Some of my classes were with college/university aged young adults. I was regularly surprised at the narrowness of their life experiences and world view. That being said; college is the greatest opportunity in existence to broaden one's viewpoints if your mind is open. It is the place where the unenlightened should be able to speak out without fear of condemnation, and more importantly where the (en)light(en) can be turned on and focused on these utterances.
    I am both puzzled and disappointed that the lecturer didn't capitalize on the opportunity for a discussion about transgender and homosexuality, but perhaps they, themselves don't know the facts. This was an opportunity lost for all involved but I can't condemn an 18/19/20 year old for holding an uninformed opinion. I also have to acknowledge that in the fast flow of an open discussion in a lecture hall, it is sometimes difficult to re-direct it, once the topic shifts.
    Sarah M..,
    Women's clothes? I don't put them on, I just grew into them.
    http://sarahjanus.wordpress.com
    www.facebook.com/sarah.m.janus

I've learned that you can't win an argument trying to change someone else's opinion; they will defend their position down to the end, where it simply becomes a matter of beliefs.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.