Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you identify with the LGBT movement?

Do you identify with the LGBT movement?

I know this will probably rile some feathers, but here it goes:

I, honestly, can't identify with the LGBT movement. Don't get me wrong, I honestly don't care what peoples sexual identity is or the various reasons they identify as such. I've had gay folks work for me (and I've worked for a gay boss at one point) and I've never really had a problem with it, since people are people, and I treat everyone fairly.

But, as a crossdresser, I view what I do as just having fun. I enjoy dressing up, and on occasion, I maybe contemplate living as a woman. But then reality sets back in, and I realize I was born as a guy, and that I enjoy being a guy, so I keep it divided in my head.

In college, I could never identify with the LGBT groups. I always thought they seemed almost militant in their desires to push their beliefs on other people. Me, I just wanted to dress up, and I didn't really care if there was a societal stigma about it.

But, I'm curious: does anyone else keep it divided in their heads like I do? I know there always seems to be a push to "go farther" which would seem to lead to a sex change, but I can't identify with that, and I feel like the LGBT movement (or the pieces of it I've come in contact with) push you in that direction.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear peoples responses. And please don't think I'm a hater!! I won't think badly of anyone for disagreeing with me, I promise!!

-Jen

I haven't really related to any movements per se... I, personally, try to avoid the political side of this topic. I have sat in on several groups in the last year or so. It was the political aspect that made me leave.

That said, the political aspect of this is extremely important and someone needs to carry that banner. That person will not be me. For a national acceptance to occur, there needs to be someone who is going to have put this in the public eye. For that, I will thank them

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    For a long time I didn't because I knew I wasn't gay but over the past few years as I have come out as a crossdresser and TS I have really began to see the importance.
    That's why I have made a bunch of videos at my old college Baylor University. It's a Southern Baptist school and very homophobic. I've crossdressed all over the place. The admin building, stadium, basketball games, in front of the dorms and I've put it all on Youtube for the world to see.
    It's my hope that TG students at Baylor may see a proud alumni who is transgendered.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

Quote Originally Posted by StaceyJane View Post
    For a long time I didn't because I knew I wasn't gay but over the past few years as I have come out as a crossdresser and TS I have really began to see the importance.
    That's why I have made a bunch of videos at my old college Baylor University. It's a Southern Baptist school and very homophobic. I've crossdressed all over the place. The admin building, stadium, basketball games, in front of the dorms and I've put it all on Youtube for the world to see.
    It's my hope that TG students at Baylor may see a proud alumni who is transgendered.

[SIZE="7"]OMG!! That's disgusting[/SIZE]

You went to baylor?

Platinum Member
    Interesting. I haven't been involved in the LGBT movement, but I'm very sympathetic, since on I score a BT on the LBGT Matrix

No seriously, I do think its understandable and appropriate that individuals from the community feel strongly enough to speak out on behalf of thier rights (or lack thereof) in society. Although that may be uncomfortable for some people of any inclination, its part of the process. The world won't become more tolerant on its own...it needs to be nudged grudgingly along.

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliemckay View Post
    [SIZE="7"]OMG!! That's disgusting[/SIZE]

You went to baylor?

That's what it says on my diploma

Best place to crossdress in Waco.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    [SIZE="4"]Nope, I don't identify with the LGBT movement, but I've invariably gone to an LGBT club when going out dressed for no better reason than I get accepted without question and even made to feel special.

So for that reason and a few others I support the LGBT movement, just don't identify with it.
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by StaceyJane View Post
    That's what it says on my diploma

Best place to crossdress in Waco.
    I'm just giving you a bit of grief... I took years of that due to what college I went to (MSU), from my co-workers in texas

I don't identify with the LGBT movement in that I separate sexual orientation and gender identity, and gender identity with crossdressing.

I have to say though that I do care about there being a societal stigma, and that's part of how I do relate to the LGBT movement, especially as someone going into the Army.

I go dressed up to a lesbian bar a lot of times, because the people are accepting there and I'm less likely to get hit on as much by guys as at some gay bars. Anyway one gg I met there I feel I relate to a lot, cause she goes out with her girlfriend and isn't going to be ashamed of who she is, but her father is a pastor, so she's not out to her family and some of her friends. I don't come from a military family, but most of my closest friends are in the military, and I don't think my dad would take it too well either still to be honest. I wish I could serve without being worried about the stigma in society.

I don't consider myself "militant" as far as crossdressing, I just wish I didn't have to worry about what those closest to me think, same as my friend who's a lesbian. So the social stigma is an issue for me in that sense.

This totally doesn't make sense to me. Then again I'm very liberal, politically. I suppose for the closet CD who never goes out it doesn't make a difference, but I think for two groups--heterosexual CD's and out-in-public CD's, helping with LGBT things is just common sense. LGBT helps make the "T" more mainstream and accepted, so that GG's don't freak out so much at the concept. And of course the LGBT movement fights against discrimination, so that those who are out in public have a movement that has their back.

For that matter, the more out non-passable CD's, the more likely that GG's might be open to dating them.

"push their beliefs on other people" -the same rhetoric that was used against black people having rights. Sadly it's deemed "ok" to push your beliefs on others if you're heterosexual, or an extreme religious zealot.
    The old saying is true: "United we stand, divided we fall."
    Last edited by Fab Karen; 01-26-2011 at 11:14 PM.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Quote Originally Posted by cordgrass View Post
    ...For that matter, the more out non-passable CD's, the more likely that GG's might be open to dating them.
    Really? Not that I'm looking mind you.

The acceptance of us gender blenders is not only within the straight community, but the gay community as well. The T part of that GLBT is the ugly red-headed step child in that equations

I have met many TGs and consider them friends, have been to a couple of Rennaisance meetings and outings and belong to a TG group. I admire their courage, and hope that they all find the peace and happiness that they are looking for. As for myself though I don't think that I personally identify with the movement although I would fight for their right for acceptance in my own way whenever I could.

I identify as a human rights activist. It often coincides with the LGBT agenda. I actually volunteer at an LGBT youth center. The "T" population is a very small percentage of the center's makeup. I believe it is because it still the least understood of the "alternative lifestyles" and, therefore, the scariest for young people to embrace and accept. I hope I can show them that there is life after coming out at transgendered.
    Fulltime girl on the inside.
    Lipstick=confidence

[SIZE=4]Holly[/SIZE]

CDers and TS seem to issue from a different gate than the classic, flag waving gay or lesbian. I think it's because those "in the movement" are aggressive in propounding their lifestyle and beliefs. Further, there is a "gay" look and a "gay" lisp, both of which I find offensive. So, it's amazing to me that I feel this way and I already know it's something I need to work on personally, I know it's *my* problem.

Now, if I simply think about a guy with a male partner or visa-versa, it doesn't both me -- it's fine, it's your choice. I think it's the "movement" that annoys me, the "in your face" thing that gets under my skin. That's not my style and from what I have read here (mostly passive, happy ladies), it's not yours either....
    -Meri

Central Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by OccasionalSkirt View Post
    I know this will probably rile some feathers, but here it goes:

I, honestly, can't identify with the LGBT movement. Don't get me wrong, I honestly don't care what peoples sexual identity is or the various reasons they identify as such. I've had gay folks work for me (and I've worked for a gay boss at one point) and I've never really had a problem with it, since people are people, and I treat everyone fairly.

But, as a crossdresser, I view what I do as just having fun. I enjoy dressing up, and on occasion, I maybe contemplate living as a woman. But then reality sets back in, and I realize I was born as a guy, and that I enjoy being a guy, so I keep it divided in my head.
    Youth is wasted on the young. There is one thing that is revealing in that quote.
    I maybe contemplate living as a woman.
    . So now it is all fun and games for you but someday you may awaken and realize that it wasn't just fun, it was who you are. So go ahead and not identify now, the LGBT community will always be there for you later...or not. The attitude of we don't need them is fascinating to me and I see us being left further and further behind because we don't want to be associated with the "gay" crowd. They may get equal rights and you will be standing on te street corner still considered a fetishist or clown or freak. Why? Because you don't identify with them. Right now you enjoy the openess that the community offers. Keep telling yourself it does not affect you. Yeah, lots of people have said taht in the past. "Hey, why should I care? It isn't important to me. What I am (or do) isn't really a part of that." And then suddenly it is. The world is in constant flux. You "blend" away now. You keep your secret hidden but someday...

I always bring out the poem by Martin Neimoller when this type of post comes up. I won't quote it now because maybe you will take the time to look it up. But tunnel vison will come back to bite you. So don't associate with a movement. What the heck, after all, the colonists thought the same thing. I don't drink tea so who cares if they tax it? I have extra grain so who cares if teh crown takes half? I really don't want freedom, I have...a cow and 8 acres. The crown owns that too? Eh, I am not part of the "movement". Until it is on your doorstep.

Don't be part of the LGBT community. Your job is safe. After all you don't hurt anyone dressing in your own home. But your boss has the ability to fire you because of what you do in your own home. But don't worry about that it is just "fun". You can marry now but what if it is decided that you cannot because of your "hobby"? You can go anywhere but what if you are labeled an offender because they decide what you do is a deviation? What if you are accused of being a deviate? Eh...don't be part of the movement. It won't happen. right??? right????

This is the land of the free. The patriots (the real ones) didn't need to be part of the movement either. Martin Luther King didn't need to be part of a movement. Ceasar Chavez didn't. Moshe Dyan. None needed to be part of a movement. You didn't have to be in that movement, but whether you realize it or not you reaped the benefits.

You don't feel you need to be part of it because to you it is a game. You think you will out grow it and maybe you will. But when they come for you who will stand up?

(PS You did rile a few feathers. Luckily not ostrich feathers)
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I'm not sure what my position on it is, because LG&B are sexual orientations while T is not, but then it gets even more complicated because T is an all encompassing umbrella term which includes various gender identities, etc.. and many of them under T may or may not be LG or B.

I can't identify at all with LG or B, because I'm H, however, because I am T, if and when I transition, I'd no longer be H, but L, so, in the end, I suppose LGBT is correct.. strange how this works, lol Some people use Q even using it to include T, but I don't like that word being used collectively to include T because Q used to be predominately used as pejorative slang for G and I equate Q with N... but see, because LG & B are sexual orientations, this is how I'm thinking, instead of the thing we all share in common, which is stigmata, discrimination, etc

As for the LGBT community, I'm glad it's there.. because if it were not for all the various groups and organizations, etc that make up LGBT, then life would be more difficult for my gay cousin, and for my lesbian sister and several LG or B friends..and I'm glad it includes T, because it makes it safer for people like me and you to go out in public and live our lives...

edit: after having written this, I decided, YES, I DO identify with LGBT.. because T represents ME and whenever I meet Sisters at Club 313 there are some people there that are L, some that are G, some that are B and some that are T and everyone's happy and having FUN all under the same roof....
    Last edited by LitaKelley; 01-25-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Aspiring Member
    If you replaced the word "movement" with "community" would you feel differently?

Like having a family, we TG's are part of a community, for better or worse. We have members who are just like us, we have members who are nothing like us. We quarrel, we stand together. We are political, we are apolitical. We say nothing, we speak out for our rights. You may not be part of the community, but the community welcomes you anyway by your very nature.

As far as being part of a movement, are you GLBT in any way imaginable? Do you ever do anything in your TG life that interacts with another individual in any way at all? Are you posting on a TG message board? Your involvement in this message board - this very post - is building a discussion and collective awareness of TG issues. If that's not part of a movement in its own small way, then I don't know what is.

Yes, becasue to the rest of the world we are all queer, one and the same. the have built the foundation the the transgendered house stands

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    I have awesome LGBT friends,but yes I have had antagonism directed towards me from a few within the ranks,the ones that perturbed me,the most were from Transexual's,Ive had the "Oh! your JUST a Tranny" comment (more than once) and one time someone i thought of as a friend refused to walk down the street with me,(that saddened me greatly) but I have LGBT friends that I would defend to the hilt,and love dearly.Just everyone is different and there is a damn sight more positivity out there than not,It would be a much harder road to travel WITHOUT the LGBT community IMO,mostly in our corner.Cant please every one much as we wish we could

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

I understand how you feel, but I do identify with LGBT To some point I think just like you do, but there is a part of me that feels like a minority; so I think that if I had to be given a label it's LGBT.

When you loose your job or your home because you like to crossdress then you might wish the LGBT had been there a little sooner. But then again most T people are still hiding so far in the closet that they think they will never need the support of the LGBT. After all they are out there fighting for our rights to some extent. Where most crosssdressers are still hiding in their safe little closet.

Don't forget about the crossdresser that was fired from Winn-Dixie because some one he worked with found out. It could happen to you.

I don't agree with every thing that the LGBT stands for but at least they have made some progress in gaining some rights where even the T's were included. But until the Trans people stand up and speak for them selves better accept what the LGBT can do for us.

I wouldn't say I identify, in a literal sense. I'm not lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgendered.

However, I have friends in all four categories, and am sympathetic to their struggle for equality. I also support the NOH8 campaign. So I guess that makes my answer "kinda."
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
    Oscar Wilde

Yes I'm active in the LGBT movement/community. I identify with the B but mostly with the T. In the past few months I've attended Fests in both Savannah and Jacksonville to not only show support but to also let them know that us trans people are around. I also give my support to a few organizations that promote equity. I figure as a T-girl, if I don't show support, who will?
    Comfortable in my own skin.

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity, and never cease to be amazed by it!" Lazarus Long

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

"T"stand for "tail"!

I think "Trans" r the tail on the lesbi/gay/bi dog!
    As others have said, the first 3 r sexual orientations. Trans may NOT BE! I don't understand why TGs want to be involved with the LGB community? Is it purely political? Maybe someone that's political can explain that?

I predict that one day, they will STAND ALONE! ( U heard it here FIRST!)

Quote Originally Posted by OccasionalSkirt View Post
    I know there always seems to be a push to "go farther" which would seem to lead to a sex change, but I can't identify with that, and I feel like the LGBT movement (or the pieces of it I've come in contact with) push you in that direction.
    -Jen
    Jen, as I stated, I'm not political, but I've never heard ANYONE ELSE say that LGBs want TGs to become women!? Maybe u mean the Ts in LGBTs want that? I've never heard THAT either! Did I misunderstand u?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!