Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another coming-out-of-the-closet story

Well done! This should be required reading for any wife or girlfriend, so they can understand how difficult it is to tell.
    Reine

Ms Mira, that was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Mira View Post
    Being a crossdresser or crossdressing sounds like something you do: putting on clothing of the opposite gender.

But, transvestite sounds more like somebody you are inside, something more all encompassing, from birth.
    Words have a way of taking on their own meanings over time, despite dictionary definitions, especially when we only have a few words to describe so many different ways of being transgender. It's my understanding that 'Transvestite' is used more overseas than in the US, to describe the crossdressing. Plus, both terms have old associations from decades ago. Drag Queens used to be referred to as transvestites for example.

There is better descriptive terminology to define a trans person who is more than a guy in a dress, but who is not transsexual, and this is 'bigender' or 'dualgender', although few people use these terms. I don't understand why.
    Last edited by ReineD; 02-09-2011 at 05:49 PM.
    Reine

the happy camper
    Great story! Congrats on taking the plunge! It's surprising how difficult it can be to make those words come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Mira View Post
    Final thought: I think people underestimate or talk down the power of their sexuality. Like, you're a lesser transperson if you dress for "only" sexual reasons and not emotional. But, is there such a thing as "only" sexual reasons? I mean, your sexuality reaches deep down into who you are and your desires and yes... your emotions. If dressing up is the only way you will be satisfied sexually, that's a pretty HUGE thing that should affect your life decisions, no? I think that transpeople who are like "I like to dress up, but only for sexual reasons" are often (not all the time) trying to disassociate themselves from their transvestistic behavior in some way.
    Thank you. That one has been bugging me for awhile. It's kind of like a gay male saying that he's just that way because he really enjoys the company of other guys, but would never actually consider having sex with one of them.

Congrats on such a special event and thanks for sharing. Although I understand that no two outcomes are the same, it is inspiring to hear of others taking that step to come out no matter what the end result is. Thank you so much.

That was a very inspiring story, I am glad that everything worked out for you. It gives me hope that when I finally decide to come out my family, it wont turn out as bad as I imagine. Thank you for sharing.

Banned Read only
    Western Upstate NY, on a Lake Ontario city
    Just to clear the air, my transvestite reference vs. crossdresser preference was a p.s. on my post. No big wow at all, especially that at certain down times I refer disparaging to myself as the former. MY MAIN point on this wonderful post was YOUR EXCELLENT writing. Please give us more , in any category, any thread, any post. You've got a gift here girlfriend unlike most people here in expressing yourself so eloquently. Length is secondary.
    Go Girl, keep typing for us!