Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I feel a bit different about therapists myself

My first instinct is to agree with Suzy – if you have a friend who is understanding and wise in the ways of the world and you can be open with him or her then it seems a much preferable approach. But reading these posts and reflecting on personal experience I can see how such friends are not always easy to come by and for some, and at certain times in life, therapy may be something that has to be considered. That said, I am deeply sceptical of what it is likely to have to offer. There is also the very real risk of being “shoehorned” into the therapist’s approach to dealing with transgender issues or being subject to advice that is questionable and maybe entirely inappropriate. And it does not come free either!

In the final analysis we have to make our own decisions.

Thanks Suzy for raising this thought provoking issue – I am sure you will appreciate the broad range of helpful and informative responses it has evinced – an outcome that I think establishes this very forum as a source of the type of advice and feedback that is so important to all of us in this community.
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE]Sapphire

I have been in therapy twice. One experience was great, one was a waste of time ad money. The difference was the experience of the therapist, their ability to see the big picture and to help me to sit it.

I was a little worried about upsetting some members here but I need not have.
    This is a forum in which we can share thoughts and opinions. Just as Sapphire pointed out.
    Thank you all for your input. I have read them and respect all your views.

SUZY

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    If you dont like what the therapist has to say,you could always go to HIS therapist,and the other thing is,have you ever seen a Poor therpist Flippancy side.we all are different what works for one,may be a complete waste for others
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

My experience with therapists is that - yes they take your money, they listen (objective? How do we really know?), they keep your thoughts confidentially and, at least at first, are detached from you. Con-cerning confidentiality, we pay them enough, why wouldn't they keep everything quiet. They're subject to discipline just as are lawyers and doctors.

Platinum Member
    No lynching. Just a different experience. I was brought up in a Scandinavian household where feelings and emotions were held inside. One certainly didn't confide personal secrets with a friend...no matter how dear, old and trusted. The first time I could fully open up about myself was with my therapist. Fortunately, she was a good one - professionally competent, open minded and reassuring.

I agree with those who would suggest that even a caring, trustworthy friend will most likely lack the skills needed to help guide a troubled soul through the process of self discovery and self acceptance.