Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody have a CDL or drive for a living?

Question Anybody have a CDL or drive for a living?

Is there anybody on here that drives a truck for a living? I'm (hopefully) about to start training to get my CDL at a local training course here. My main question is, do you dress while on the road? If so, how well are you able to? I'm not really concerned about whether or not I'm able to dress as if I do start driving, that job will be TONS better then what I do now. I just wanted to get another cd's advice. Thanks, and if this is in the wrong place, please move it to the appropriate place.
    Never meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste great dipped in chocolate and covered with sprinkles

I'm a RED member

Gold Member
    I am a retired Carpenter, with a CDL for many years.
    I drive a Dump Truck part time as a fill in for a small excavating company
    near me. I do not dress when driving, but I do wear panties.
    I am in and out of the truck 20 times a day at least, so trying to "get away"
    with any dressing just does not make sense.
    Good luck on your training. When backing up a trailer, remember to back up
    the "Trailer", not the truck. Use the bottom of the steering wheel, pushing
    it toward the way you want to go. Go slow, and you will catch on.
    See if you can borrow a boat trailer or such to practice on. It will help you
    to get the hang of backing. Always chuck your mirrors and trust your mirrors.
    Rader

*Kisses and Best Wishes* Wendy_Marie's Avatar
    I have a CDL, Tanker, Air Brakes and HazMat endorsements....But I don't use it anymore. I still drive for a living but not in trucking. Good Luck.
    [SIZE="3"]"I can't talk girl talk when there is a guy inside my head." Gracie Lou Freebush[/SIZE]
    Is this all that's left of my life before me. Straight Jacket Memories and Seditive Highs! No Happy Ending like they always Promised...There's got to be something left for me... And I Turn my Head and Stare into the Eyes of a Stranger.
    To those of you who consider yourselves to be "Cat People" I apologize in advance for I am not.

i use to be an owner-operator til 2001.gave it up when i saw the trucking busniess was going all to hell.as far as dressing up i used to do all the time,but times are different and DOT has gotten stricker.more inspections and pull overs.i wouldn't it any more.
    janielatb: I'm in love with the person inside me.

Quote Originally Posted by RADER View Post
    I am a retired Carpenter, with a CDL for many years.
    I drive a Dump Truck part time as a fill in for a small excavating company
    near me. I do not dress when driving, but I do wear panties.
    I am in and out of the truck 20 times a day at least, so trying to "get away"
    with any dressing just does not make sense.
    Good luck on your training. When backing up a trailer, remember to back up
    the "Trailer", not the truck. Use the bottom of the steering wheel, pushing
    it toward the way you want to go. Go slow, and you will catch on.
    See if you can borrow a boat trailer or such to practice on. It will help you
    to get the hang of backing. Always chuck your mirrors and trust your mirrors.
    Rader
    Thanks for the advice. I do own a horse trailer that I have to back up on a regular basis
    Never meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste great dipped in chocolate and covered with sprinkles

I'm a RED member

I, too, am a "materials re-location technician".

I drive in Western Canada hauling tanks. Always under dressed. Nails always painted. Toes bright and chipper, but fingers are done with a gloss clear. Both ears are pierced, with "industrial" earrings. Never been questioned about any of my appearance.

I spend quite a few nights away from home, but don't get a chance to dress while away from home.

Rader talks to you about getting ready for the task. Do take as much practise time as you can.

Please remember that once you get your CDL, you have a "license to learn". You will see many of the things you now do every day. I am sure you will change your driving habits once you start driving a rig.

Also, please keep in mind that the only "late load" is the one that doesn't get there.
    Inside every good man, there is a good woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Alberta_Pat View Post

Please remember that once you get your CDL, you have a "license to learn". You will see many of the things you now do every day. I am sure you will change your driving habits once you start driving a rig.
    I have to echo this statement here. I don't drive anymore either but did in my 20's. Before driving trucks, I used to drive my car like I was qualifying for the Daytona 500. Once I got behind the wjeel of a truck, I started to see things from the other side. It sure did change how I drove all around. As for dressing, I wasn't dressing at the time but since I was only a route driver delivering soda, I wouldn't have had the opportunites to do so.

Good luck.

Ironic, and small world.. I was just reading email communications among TSNE members whom are CDL drivers. I know Christina Horton from this forum is a CDL driver in Canada

Years ago with my Dad. Until, that is, I came to realize the 'open road' could be a very lonely road and that requirements from the company could make the job a sweat shop on wheels.

Don't miss it at all............. But I admire those who continue on in this economy.

Did like the 'big trucks' though. Some rigs are down right beautiful.............
    Last edited by CaitlynRenee; 02-11-2011 at 01:00 AM.

have had a CDL for years but only drove locally. The lure of the road was always tempting. However, any place is better than here is mostly an illusion and reality sets in once you get there. Follow advise for driving given by others. You should always be a student and never become an expert. Big trucks must always be treated with respect.

stay away from the trucking jobs.

been trapped in one for 20 years, bad back bad knees bad body.

pending on who and what you do as a driver, but as a staple no dressing allowed, skirts and the steps into and out of a rig just do not mix, and time is a problem if over the rd no place to or time to stop and "adjust" before dropping or picking up a load.
    and most company's have spy's watching you. so you will get asked about the girl driving the truck.

and we will not get into the mind set of a lot of people, both in and out of the trucks...got very good medical and disability insurance?

yes there are some that it would be no problem, but that is the odd deal, not the standard.

i say get a boring 9-5 job with weekends off. the benefit is you get to have a life.

I've made a living with my license since I was 19.Don't long haul anymore.Much nicer to snuggle to a warm SO at night and be around my kids.I think the trucking industry is pretty open minded.If you do the same run even if its a thousand miles you'll get to know most of the same people at the stops and they'll accept you for who you are.
    If I knew where it was going to take me I probably would have put my mother's panties back.

I guess I should be a little more clear. I have no intention of driving/going out while dressed. But when I'm parked resting, I might want to wear some girly stuff while I'm asleep

I'm a RED member

Platinum Member
    Hi Alyson, I have had a CDL and before that a chauffers license for over 45 years
    I drove dump trucks on road and heavy off road dump trucks, cement mixers, lowboys,
    high flats, oil trucks & gasoline tankers.

Just remember one thing.
    If it don't look right don't do it!!
    Driving is a full time job you don't need a lot of distractions.
    Words to live by.

Oh and by the way how you can tell the difference between a company driver
    and an owner/operator. The O/O is the one laying under the truck on the weekend .

Orchid
    Last edited by BLUE ORCHID; 02-11-2011 at 09:57 PM.

I have a cdl now for 10 yrs. I drive over the road and have dressed when out on weekend and get a motel room. I hope you give it some serously think before you jump. It is a hard and demanding job and the money is not what it should be. Good luck.

What?! You have to have a license to be a CD? This government is just outta control!

Wait, it's a license to do what?

Oohhhh ..... never mind!
    I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back keep me here to wait for me so I don't go back out and miss myself when I return.

LOL! Michelle, I also have my CDL but haven't driven an 18 wheeler for many years, I do love get on the highway wear my mini skirt open blouse and show the truckers some skin, is such a rush for me and they enjoy it too.

Love, Ericka.
    She's back

Smile

On the lighter side,but related to this thread check out a song by "weird al" named the truck driver song.

Quote Originally Posted by stephiny10 View Post
    On the lighter side,but related to this thread check out a song by "weird al" named the truck driver song.
    sick....sick....sick...but funny....love that song.

Hi Alyson,

I also have a CDL and have driven thousands of miles under-dressed and never had any problems on the road where I felt uncomfortable with the way I was dressed.
    Good luck with your training and when you start driving don't be afraid to dress a little girlie and enjoy your time on the road.

Tomara

I have driven locally for 25 years now. Hold Class A, w/doubles & triples. Own my own rig for recreational use, only get paid to drive company rigs. My over the road rig is really nice compared to company day cabs. Like a really big Cadillac.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tonya, the SHOE monster! rocketscientist's Avatar

Add me to the list!

I've been driving for about 13 years. The first few were over the road flatbed. Since then I have been driving a route semi-locally. There were a few times I did dress when I was stopped for the night,but only when I had enough time did I ever get out of the truck and walk around a bit. Kinda scary but an incredible rush at the same time! Just try walking in front of a row of trucks wearing a miniskirt and 4 inch heels! those horns can be deafening Oh, and Maxi, that's a nice looking FLD 120 ya got there!
    "Be yourself, everyone else is already taken" = Oscar Wilde

Started to drive commercially in 1958. Drove for somebody else (on and off) until 1978, when I bought a business with four straight trucks. Ran that business until 2001, when I sold it to someone younger and able to keep up the pace. Still hold my CDL. New York is "playing" with the need to have a CDL to drive fire apparatus, which I still do.
    Happy motoring!

I haven't had any problems so far, dressing at night while driving!! I run the same area most of the time, so I have my places that I stop where I can walk around alittle.

Thanks, rocketscientist, When it's your truck, you can dress as you like, anytime,