Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do when others start noticing changes?

What to do when others start noticing changes?

I'm just wondering how everyone handles when friends and family start noticing changes? In my case it's my nails. I've never let them grow, but I recently have and I've already got comments, so I'm getting paranoid about my legs being shaved, I wear shorts all summer. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Well, I handled it by being bluntly honest with my friends. "Why'd you shave off the goatee?" "Because I'm going to start crossdressing." "Oh. OK." But I also realize that my approach is not for everyone.

It really hasn't been a big deal, though. If anyone asks, and I really don't want to let them in on the 'joke', I'll pull out the other honesty factor, that I prefer to shave/wear my hair long/wear earrings/keep longer fingernails.
    One may tolerate a world of demons for the sake of an angel. - Reinette, Doctor Who: The Girl In The Fireplace

OK, I'm in SoCal, where shorts are worn year-round. I was concerned about this when I sugared my arms and legs, but then I started to look at others while walking about the mall, etc. Guess what, a significant number of men don't have much in the way of leg or arm hair. I also doubt that many folks really pay that much attention to the amount of hair.

Now nails, that's another story. Where are you, slightly long and well-groomed? Nobody will notice. Acrylics polished bright red? You may have an issue with that!

People see what they expect to see unless you give them a really good reason to see otherwise!

I can't wait for the day when I have to explain why my beard looks thinner. And I can say that I went through electrolysis & laser on my beard because I got sick of everyone making negative comments about my 5'0 clock shadow, so I did something about it.

It makes me look better as a guy
    It makes me look better as a girl.

Yes, I'm doing it.

the happy camper
    I lie. Sort of. I say things that are mostly true, but aren't the real answer.

"Yeah, my nails are getting long. I keep forgetting to cut them."

"I got tired of being so hairy. I looked like a gorilla."

:shrug: It's really not any of their business, so I just say whatever will shut them up.

my nails are still really short. Honestly right now only one is coming in but my brother already noticed it. I've never had nails, i always clipped the short. The shaving doesn't worry me so much as the last couple of years my leg hair was alot finer than the past. My sister had asked me last year if i was shaving my legs, I answered her honestly at that time no. I don't know why it was coming in finer.

gee thanks for noticing that I have taken an interest in being more kept and less slovenly, now lets discuss YOUR appearance
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Banned Read only
    I used to just tell them the truth. I am transitioning into a woman, then walk away and let them wonder.

This is a good question! Before you can be honest with others you must first be truthful and honest with yourself. You know that old expression "you can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool yourself." For you younger ladies its true and its been around for a long time. I have learned threw many on this forum that people do not want or like being decieved. It appears to me lately that if you confidently look people in the eye and smile and just explain to them that you are a crossdreser you will earn their respect, and you will feel so much better about who you are. It truly is a level that many here have arrived at myself included. Once you have acheived this level of acceptance and truth it becomes a total game changer!

People can tell when someone is genuine and real or not. So if you show people that you are sincere and confident they will respect you for it and accept you. Trust me when I tell you that no one is perfect, we all have our individual quirks. So when the FedEX delivery driver shows up the next time open the front door with a smile and be honest ,dont run away and hide. But make sure you are properly dressed and not in your bra and knickers.

Michelle

I prefer to be honest with my responses but I still hide the true motivation. I live in Florida and try to constantly stay shaved from head to toe. One reason is I am an active runner and I prefer to have no body hair. Since this is a true reason most people don't question me any further. At this point in my life, I doubt they want to hear and I am not ready to tell them that hairy legs just don't go with my heels :-)

I've had a nabor ask me last summer if I shaved my legs and I told him the truth, that I didn't.
    I did however just shave them today for the first time in over 20 years. But I didn't have much to shave. It seems like I only have leg hair on my shins, not much anywhere else.
    And what is there is blond. Go figure that one out as I have dark brown hair on my head. This summer if he asks again I'll tell him the truth, yes, right here on my shins. And that I like it better.

I think you're using the correct term: Paranoia. It's nothing real, it's only in your mind.

I started shaving my legs and arms last winter. I spent the following summer at my parents and either they didn't notice or didn't care. Knowing my mother, she definitely noticed, so it's likely she didn't think much of it.
    I'm also growing out my hair. At the moment it looks like crap and people ask me why, so I answer honestly that I want to grow long hair - try something different. So far, everyone seemed to be satisfied with that answer.
    I lost about 10-15kg of weight over the past year and a half. I got only compliments. Nobody suspected why I wanted that flat belly
    Then there are those anti aging products I'm using now. People tell me I look 5 years younger and more healthy. Some ask how I do it, but nobody ever asked why I do it.

I could go on forever, but I've already made my point: It's only in your mind.

Honesty may be the best policy, but there are, as Julie pointed out, other possible honest answers.

I've had my long acrylics for so many years that those friends who I haven't chosen to tell about my crossdressing have pretty much accepted them as just one more eccentricity on my part.

Every once in a while someone sees my nails and asks if I play guitar. You have to pick your battles, so If I don't want to get into a long agenda with them I'll just say "Yes."

Then there are some who ask in a way that offends me. I look them straight in the eye and say, "Well, before I grew them I used to have a terrible time picking my nose."

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

I have had long aryllic nails for about 3 years, got my ears pierced, eyebrows waxed every two weeks, thin and arched, and I am bald... I trt to look as feminine as possible, at 64 I don't care who knows I love all things feminine.

a bit nutty
    I got rid of the hair on my legs because the static it generates against my slacks makes me crazy, besides they it look better without hair! My nails are longer because it makes it easier to get the boogers out of my nose! LOL!!!!

Who cares? It's none of their business. Notice my legs? Why are you looking at them?

Tell them the truth! Pantyhose and hairy legs don't go together!

Changes have been so gradual that no one has really said anything... Shaved my mustache.. Plucked my eye brows thin... started coloring my hair. Grew my nails out. Wearing light makeup to work... Wearing a corset 24/7... Wearing numerous rings... Wearing women's foot ware in drab... All my team mates have seen y totally shaved body in the locker riom.... And smelling really good! Lol. The only comments I really get are from my wife "you look like a girl". And from my assistant "did you use lotion again" holding his nose. Lol. I think a lot a people know they just don't care what I wear.
    Last edited by Karren H; 02-15-2011 at 08:00 AM.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Sara my SO had his legs shaved for about six months before I even noticed and he wore shorts to work everyday. Please don't worry, and if they say anything tell them either your a swimmer or its none of their business. Most people are so self absorbed that they wont even notice.

It probably depends on who's doing the asking. Some people deserve the truth, whilst for others I think having some ready made answers is a good idea. It might even be worthwhile having different replies for different groups of people. For example the "I'm taking up cycling/swimming" one would be fine for some, but if you're talking to someone who knows you need stabilisers on a bike and also that your grandmother is the Wicked Witch of the West meaning you will melt if you came in contact with a pool-full of water might need something with more imagination (how about you developed limb alopecia as a result of a severe allergic reaction to flying monkey dander after your last visit to see your Gran?)

Likewise, starting to play guitar is a reasonable ecuse for nails, but a lot of people might woonder why the nails on both hands are long. I'm having quite a time trying to convince my workmates that I'm learning to play the harp.....

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I play neither the guitar or a harp, but I do have a very simple response when someone questions my acrylic nails, or anythig else that looks feminine! My usual response is; "Because that is the way I like them!" I have never had another question like that from that person! How you wear your nails and dress is your business, and unless it interfers with your work place it is no one elses business. But you have to have that thought always in your mind!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    gee thanks for noticing that I have taken an interest in being more kept and less slovenly, now lets discuss YOUR appearance

Yes i like this reply best.
    answers the question, and puts it right back into there lap.

i tend to not look at men, women look so much better, but who is to say how much hair you had last year? as for shaving just keep it clean looking and there should not be a problem for anyone.
    as for, nails for over a year and i have had only one person saying anything, yes a tad longer for a guy, and clear coated at work. yes people see them.
    plucking the brows just takes time, wish i could afford to get the beard zapped.

why should anybody say anything, you are you none of there need to know.

sara it looks to me like you want an honest answer. So I will tell you the truth. When things finally get noticed you have to make a choice. Do you want to hide or just tell them the truth and see what happens. Some of the girls hid it and make up reasons people may or may not believe it. Some of the girls just say they are crossdressing or transgender etc. It is a big step. Only you can really decide what is correct for you. I have to tell you that once I just admitted that I was transgender, people actually didn't even ask when I continued on to the next level. So I conclude others may or may not notice things things as soon as you do them, but sooner or later you will be noticed as you already have. Now just decide is it time to just say to some close family and friends what is going on. up to you. Just remember that once it is said you can't close the door again and go back in the closet. I wish you the best no matter what you decide.
    TO OVER WEIGHT TO POST A PHOTO, MY wife tells me I look like I am pregnant

I just simply say " yes it is, yes they are or yes i am with the odd " thank you " sometimes , i think i can only remember once being asked " why" i had something and that was by a woman's daughter who asked "why have you earrings in each ear so i replied because i have a hole in each are
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

I'm honest and say my legs and arms are shaved because I like them that way, same for my ears being pierced. I don't usually keep my nails long though.

Just enjoy it methinks.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning