Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "That's a man"

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar

"That's a man"

This afternoon I decided to stop by Dress Barn to see if they had any specials.

When I walked in the store a woman and her young daughter were leaving.
    As they walked by I could hear the girl say to her mom "That's a man"

She couldn't have been talking about me, right?
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

You go out, you'll hear it somewhere, sometime! No biggie, just smile!
    "And if you want some fun, sing Ob-Bla-Di-Bla-Da!"

"Oh child, define 'man'?"

Sorry to hear about that, Stacey Jane! Pre-teens and teens have particularly sharp detectors, perhaps because they are going through their own sexual awareness stage, and they aren't shy about saying something.

So, it happens. It always is a good idea to take a good look in the mirror, just to see if you can figure out what she may have detected, but once you've done that, just go right on being you. And if you see the same kid again, just smile.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Gold Member
    It is true, Be ware of the young teen, or pre-teen. I think they have a sense of radar in them that
    can spot one of us no mater how well we are presenting ourselves. So just smile and walk away; Better
    days are coming.

Rader

The teens always have their eyes on other girls and women (including us). They are looking (without really knowing that they are doing it) for all those things; social ques, mannerisms, style, etc. that comprise the whole of womanhood. If ever there were more discerning eyes on TG/CDs I don't know of any. In my experience it has been best to smile and use it as a teaching moment. Hopefully the teen will someday see that being a woman means, in part, to be beautiful and confident in yourself no matter your gender.

Smiles make the world a better place.

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Stacey, since I don't wear makeup or a wig when I go out dressed enfemme, I am definitely a man!! I have had the same experience you had more than once, and not always from a child!! I just don't pay much attention, since I feel that what I wear is my business and nobody elses! At least as long as I am decent, which i always am!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Account is closed
    Quote Originally Posted by StaceyJane View Post
    This afternoon I decided to stop by Dress Barn to see if they had any specials.

When I walked in the store a woman and her young daughter were leaving.
    As they walked by I could hear the girl say to her mom "That's a man"

Yup. They were talking about you. It's just a fact of life that some people are born with no brains. Totally devoid of anything but hollow cavities in their heads. Unfortunately these people manage to breed.
    [SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Anne View Post
    Yup. They were talking about you. It's just a fact of life that some people are born with no brains. Totally devoid of anything but hollow cavities in their heads. Unfortunately these people manage to breed.
    She was a kid! Bit harsh?
    The ultimate woman is a man - House

"The face of a child says everything, especially the mouth part of the face."
    -Jack Handy

It seems we are always telling people to "quit beating around the bush, and just say what they mean"

...then we run into some little kid...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Unfortunately, these incidents happen. All you can do is brush it off and don't let it stop you. I agree teenage girls and young women tend to read you the fastest and easiest; however, I have also found young women as a group are the most accepting and friendly. I have met some nice and fun GGs while out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Anne View Post
    I don't see how this incident means the daughter had no brains. The daughter was just relating what appeared to be a fact to her mother. What is wrong with her noticing and mentioning it? It could have been a positive learning experience for her. At least she didn't shout it out and point like in the Invasion of the Body Snatchers, or make some kind of unkind or insulting remark for all to hear. Calling the daughter brainless and unfit to "breed" is judgemental and rude. Since most of us are looking for acceptance and tolerance from others, we owe the exact same in return.

She was making an observation, not necessarily making a judgement. For all any of us know, her Mum might have explained to her something about CD right after or that she should be more polite and tolerant. OK, I'd not be surprised if not, but it is a possibility

To quote W.C. Fields: "A man (or woman) never stands so tall as when he (she) stoops to strike a child." Ahh yes. . .

The avvy pic isn't me
    I'm not so sure that their powers of perception are all that much greater, but their lack of social graces in speaking out loud about it most definitely are.

Cassie

Stacyjane,
    I had something similar happen to me at the local Burger King. I don’t normally eat fast food but on this particular day I was famished so I made an exception to my rule. It’s ok to do that once in a while just so long as it doesn’t become a habit. I was just about to start to eat my meal when a mother and her daughter walked came in the door. The little girl was so cute and happy. She reminded me of when my own daughters were that age. The mother quietly stated to her child that they couldn’t spend too much because she didn’t have much money. The little girl was very well behaved and didn’t raise a fuss about. “That’s ok, Mommy.” She said. The mother ordered a small burger, fries, and drink off the value menu. The daughter happily carried the tray over to the booth behind me. She had a smile on her face that would light up a room.
    I looked down at double whopper with cheese, medium fries and apple pie in front of me on the table and suddenly I didn’t feel that hungry anymore.
    I turned around and said, “Excuse me, Maim. I think I ordered too much by mistake. Do you think you and your daughter might want this? I don’t want to have to throw away good food.”
    I spoke using my regular male voice, just I always do. For me there is no reason for concealing who and what I am.
    “God bless you.” The mother said as I handed her my tray.
    The daughter said a very sweet and polite “Thank You.”
    As I got up and was just about to leave I heard the child ask her mother “Mommy was she a woman or a man?”
    “Never you mind” answered the mother.” That was a nice person.”
    What’s the lesson here: As wars are won one battle at a time so too are hearts changed one person at a time.
    CANCER IS A BITCH SO YOU HAVE TO BE MORE OF A BITCH TO BEAT IT.

Quote Originally Posted by StaceyJane
    No way, right?

Go out

Get read

'specially by kids.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Very, very few of us get away without being "clocked" occasionaly. Hold your head up, smile, and keep on walking. Ask yourself, was there malice in her statement or was she just suprized? chances are she was merely suprized. No harm intended
    [SIZE=3]Stacye Rose[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Cleverly disguised as a normal contributing member of society[/SIZE]

I can't believe that! Ha! Way back in 1988 on April the first I walked into a Wal-mart fully dressed wearing a dress, heels ect. was getting my ears periced for the second set and a young girl said to her mother, that's a man! I wanted to craw into a hole and hide!

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    It really didn't bother me that much. Just the first time that happened.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

The way I see it they just observed something...so what?! It doesn't mean they like or dislike you. It would be nice to pass all the time, but sometimes you get noticed. I believe our attitude should be different. It should be warm polite response and a realisation that we are males dressing up to look female (not talking about identity here...just our physical form) and its okay.
    Chickie

Fearlessly Independent RebeccaLynne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnmarrie1961 View Post
    Stacyjane,
    I was just about to start to eat my meal when a mother and her daughter walked came in the door. The little girl was so cute and happy. She reminded me of when my own daughters were that age. The mother quietly stated to her child that they couldn’t spend too much because she didn’t have much money. The little girl was very well behaved and didn’t raise a fuss about. “That’s ok, Mommy.” She said. The mother ordered a small burger, fries, and drink off the value menu. The daughter happily carried the tray over to the booth behind me. She had a smile on her face that would light up a room.
    I looked down at double whopper with cheese, medium fries and apple pie in front of me on the table and suddenly I didn’t feel that hungry anymore.
    I turned around and said, “Excuse me, Maim. I think I ordered too much by mistake. Do you think you and your daughter might want this? I don’t want to have to throw away good food.”
    I spoke using my regular male voice, just I always do. For me there is no reason for concealing who and what I am.
    “God bless you.” The mother said as I handed her my tray.
    The daughter said a very sweet and polite “Thank You.”
    As I got up and was just about to leave I heard the child ask her mother “Mommy was she a woman or a man?”
    OK, I'm typing through tears...you're a most giving, thoughtful, and sensitive person... "and a little child shall lead rhem"... you've represented us wonderfully...thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by RebeccaLynne View Post
    you're a most giving, thoughtful, and sensitive person... "and a little child shall lead rhem"... you've represented us wonderfully...thank you.
    I have my moments that's all. I don't see myself as being representative of us. I just try to be a good human being. Sometimes I fall short. But thanks for the kind words anyway.
    CANCER IS A BITCH SO YOU HAVE TO BE MORE OF A BITCH TO BEAT IT.

Just call me Amanda GirlieAmanda's Avatar
    I am learning to accept that its part of our life. All of us. Being judged by all of the non enlightened people. If only the kids and teens could grow up in the future accepting TG people as just another minority but still acceptable in society, that would be a great day.
    The phoenix has risen the old life is gone
    A new life to live has finally begun
    There is fun to be had and work to be done
    My beauty is radiant my freedom is won

Quote Originally Posted by GirlieAmanda View Post
    I am learning to accept that its part of our life. All of us. Being judged by all of the non enlightened people. If only the kids and teens could grow up in the future accepting TG people as just another minority but still acceptable in society, that would be a great day.
    The more of us being out there, the more that future will come to pass.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnmarrie1961 View Post
    What’s the lesson here: As wars are won one battle at a time so too are hearts changed one person at a time.
    A lovely and encouraging story Dawn Marrie,and just goes to show how children learn from their parents.who knows the little girl Stacey Jane came across may have been educated by her mother straight away.we can but hope

Personally when that happens to me,i just look all round the room as if to say "who are they talking about"silly,but hey it works for me stops me getting too caught up on it
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson