Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The advantages of being female

A scene from one of my favorite movies explains more

Silver Member
    Talk about a post that brought out the passion in many of us. I agree about the grass being greener. As for the thing that started the post, insurance premiums. They are based on expected length of you life from when you start paying premiums. Women still outlive males, so if you think living longer is a plus, then many women will enjoy that perk. Unless you have truly walked in the shoes of both genders (yes TG's may be closest to doing this) you can't have a unbiased veiw of this subject. A male who really thinks the ability to be pregnant is the greatest thing will think females have the best in life. Females who wish they could have big strong muscles with less effort will think the males are better off. It all comes down to the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Katesback View Post
    Advantage= If I dont want to wear underwear I dont have to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
    But, why is this only a GG thing?

Leggings, catsuits, Spandex pants, and skirts. N.U.R. clothing (no underwear required) LOL It is just if you are a guy, you need guts and courage to don this things.

I think how the insurance industry does that is BS. Why do they not just base it off an average of the two instead of excercising sexist BS like this? There really is no reason for it.
    Last edited by ReineD; 02-17-2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. Please use the Edit button for added thoughts.
    "I am not altogether on anyone's side as no one is all together on my side"
    Tree beard. Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    Eloquent? My words pale compared to yours. But Annaliese, you did manage to get me out of my post #21 funk.

... and you got the thread going again. Thanks!

Sorry for the downer, everyone.
    Aww...thank you Reine!!! I like your little expression "#21 funk" - that's way cool! But I must disagree with something you said because there's Nothing "downer" about you! Trust me on that one... Have a great day!
    Last edited by Annaliese2010; 02-17-2011 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Original post was maybe too cheeky...if so...i'm srry. Respect!

*Kisses and Best Wishes* Wendy_Marie's Avatar
    Funny that this subject has come up here because just today my Therpaist asked me if I thought that my need to dress was in any way driven by the advantages I might have being a Woman? I told him that No...if anything I believe that a Woman is often at a disadvantage in society. In a lot of employment females still earn less than a male counterpart. Females have to spend more time grooming and readying themselves to meet the day<----Okay so I don't really consider that one a disadvantage. It will be interesting to hear what he has to say about my response next week.
    Last edited by Wendy_Marie; 02-18-2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: spelling
    [SIZE="3"]"I can't talk girl talk when there is a guy inside my head." Gracie Lou Freebush[/SIZE]
    Is this all that's left of my life before me. Straight Jacket Memories and Seditive Highs! No Happy Ending like they always Promised...There's got to be something left for me... And I Turn my Head and Stare into the Eyes of a Stranger.
    To those of you who consider yourselves to be "Cat People" I apologize in advance for I am not.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pythos View Post
    I think how the insurance industry does that is BS. Why do they not just base it off an average of the two instead of excercising sexist BS like this? There really is no reason for it.
    Whenever an insurance company issues a policy it is taking a gamble that it won't have to pay out - or in the case of life insurance won't have to make an early payout.

As with any gamble, to get a specific payout, you need to divide that sum by the odds to work out how much to stake. (e.g. to get $1000 at 10 to 1 you need to stake $100 but at 20 to 1 you would only need to stake $50 for the same return).

They calculate the odds based on a wide spectrum of factors. In the case of insuring an average woman's life, the risk of an early payout is much lower than with a man of the same age, thus they can afford to lengthen the odds and thereby give a lower premium.

If we had been talking about car insurance for a good driver and for a bad driver, and you were the good driver, would you really want your premiums to be raised to cover the average risk between you and the bad driver? It would use the same logic that you propose for life insurance.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

I cant think of any real advantage

Yes I am sure we can all think of the little things, like I know guys do seem to let me out at road junctions more often in female mode.

I would say overall women are at a disadvantage and in some places in the world it is even worse

I wont even relate those here as they are so horrendous it would make you sick
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

I don't know about advantages and disadvantages. Like Denise said, the experience is just different. If I were a woman, my clothes (the girl clothes, that is) would fit me better. I'd be at liberty to look and act feminine. The trouble with being male is that you always have to keep up this facade of utter masculinity, and if you let it drop for even a minute, you get labelled as sensitive, queer, or soft. It's harder to be comfortable in your own skin, whereas most women I know are very comfortable in theirs.

Like has been said, the grass always seems greener. I'd have just opted for the female experience had I been given the choice. I'm male, and I'm not unhappy, but I could do without all the gender confusion. I look to womanhood as something appealing to me because I'm transgendered. Not everyone feels like I do, fortunately.

One other thing I find that women have as an "advantage" is their freedom to be pretty, and associate with things that are considered pretty. With women, it's lace; with men, it's barbed wire. I prefer the lace.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Gold Member
    The clothes I love would fit me better!

Having a child of each I have found that yes they have a lower life insurance rate and a lower car insurance rate... But they have a higher health insurance rate... All those female issues. Males have a dirt cheap health rate and a terrible auto rate... Because young males don't get sick... They kill themselves in car accidents. So trying to justify a gender change based on an economic advantage or really any advantage of one sex of the others ludicrous.. Imho.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Of all the real answers on this Thread, the one by Karren H is by far the best. She stated the facts very succinctly. Being the father of both a boy and a girl myself I would definitely have to agree with her!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Women tend to get paid less than men so maybe that's why their premiums are lower to compensate.

they do say that a woman's work is never done - maybe that's why they get paid less......................

Just getting my coat!
    Carole

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum posts both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Avana View Post
    KellyCD, i think some of the comments you've expressed here are rather insensitive given that the entire world is still very much dominated by masculine privilege and misogynist attitudes and has been for thousands of years, as Katesback corroborates.

Women fully deserve protection of their equal rights.
    Equal rights is one thing, special previleges on the basis of gender is something else.
    Most of us support equal rights but when you are giving promotions, vacations, flextime on the basis of gender or using gender as an excuse for not treating employees the same when it comes to work responsibilities and basing your disciplinary actions on those gender distintions, then you are breaking federal anti discrimination laws.
    If you can prove that women in your workplace are being given preferential treatment you might have a civil rights claim.
    Especially if your employer is a public agency or recieves any public funds.
    And even those who are not, are still required to follow the law unless they have less than 20 employees.
    The anti discriminatory treatment laws apply to all employers who have over 20 employees the last time I checked it.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    Should u get divorced in the States, when it comes to $$$ and children, women GENERALLY come out ahead.

According to my, and my male, divorced acquaintance's experiences in Cal! I'm aware different states have differing rules, tho!
    For a state that claims to be the most equitabe in America, the state's legal system does treat women and men differently based on gender.
    In divorce court, for example, the woman almost always gets preferential treatment while the male is often treated like a criminal even when he did nothing wrong, except for the fact he is a man.

You would think a state with claims like Cali's would have ended this system of legalized gender discrimination a long time ago but it still persists even today.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vetobob9 View Post
    For a state that claims to be the most equitabe in America, the state's legal system does treat women and men differently based on gender.
    In divorce court, for example, the woman almost always gets preferential treatment while the male is often treated like a criminal even when he did nothing wrong, except for the fact he is a man.

You would think a state with claims like Cali's would have ended this system of legalized gender discrimination a long time ago but it still persists even today.
    You're absolutely correct, Bob! Our problem is, we're REALLY 2 states jammed into one!
    The ubber liberal North, and middle of the road South. With pockets of John Birth Society/Tea Party thrown in all over! Which is why our entire legislature has become completely ineffective!

We have Rent Control ordinances so onerous, they've been disallowed in EVERY COMMUNIST COUNTRY!

On the PLUS side, it was supposed to rain all day today! But only drizzled enuff to barely turn on my wipers between periods of brite sunshine! Sigh!
    If we had weather like the East/Midwest, 25 million people would move to Nevada and Ariz. overnite!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Aspiring Member
    They used to, but I don't think this is the case any more. Statistically, after a divorce the woman's living standards go down, while the husband's go up. I also think that more and more men are getting custody, even when the kids are young. But if they are past the age of 12-14, they get to choose where they want to live and oftentimes for boys it is with their dad, since among other things the financial resources are greater there.

There are entire websites devoted to successfully coaching dads on winning custody, and unfortunately few US Courts recognize the devastation of the parental alienation tactics some husbands engage in (i.e. my ex), and a husband who engages in this does not risk losing custody even though he has clearly abused his child by driving a wedge between him and his mother. Also the notion of spousal support is disappearing (there is no such thing as alimony anymore), even for the wives (as in my case) who had given up their careers 25 years ago to follow their husbands around the country and support their careers, and stay home and raise the kids.

Now maybe not all women end up losing big time after a divorce like I did. But I wouldn't say that Courts favor women any more.

That's true, although the consequences are different. Some men feel entitled to raping a woman and they do this because they can. Most women don't have the physical strength to overcome a male. But, men give in to their homophobia when they beat a TG to a pulp, and if it is one-on-one, at least the TG has a chance to defend herself.
    I was going to respond to a previous post by saying one advantage of having a peanus is that you don't have something for people to force themselves into to. But then I realized that men do have a rear one that someone could force themselves into. So men can still be raped.

There are places where even men don't feel comfortable going alone.

As for the strenght difference, the majority of it, not all, but the majority is culturally produced.
    If you look at women who strenght train, they could easily knock the perversion out of any guy. When you look at men who don't work out, quite a few would barely hold their own against a woman who works out regularly.
    I suppose it's more about what you do with what you have. A person who does not workout regularly is going to have a difficult time fending off unwanted attention regardless of what their gender is.
    This is why some guys carry weapons with them because sometimes, the bare male fist is not enough to ward off an attacker.

The other saying is if you don't use it, you lose it. Women in western society are not fully encouraged to go to the gym like men are. They do go, but not in the numbers that men do.

As an example, there was a woman who actually beat all the men in the WWE's royal rumble only to be defeated by the last guy.
    If I am correct, she was the only woman to wear the top wrestling championship belt.

Not to mention a look at the natural history of our evolutionary ancestors. The idea that women are supposed to be always weaker, is actually, a relatively recent cultural construct created by patriarchies to ensure the subservience of women to men.

We should go back to the way nature intended things to be. Equality between the genders.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katesback View Post
    Advantage= If I dont want to wear underwear I dont have to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
    ???
    I usually never wear underwear while in male mode. Not sure what that has to do with being male or female?

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    You're absolutely correct, Bob! Our problem is, we're REALLY 2 states jammed into one!
    The ubber liberal North, and middle of the road South. With pockets of John Birth Society/Tea Party thrown in all over! Which is why our entire legislature has become completely ineffective!

We have Rent Control ordinances so onerous, they've been disallowed in EVERY COMMUNIST COUNTRY!

On the PLUS side, it was supposed to rain all day today! But only drizzled enuff to barely turn on my wipers between periods of brite sunshine! Sigh!
    If we had weather like the East/Midwest, 25 million people would move to Nevada and Ariz. overnite!
    A bigger response would require a political forum. As a poly sci student in Cali, one of the things that you learn is California is state full of contradictions. We have sunny beaches and snowy mountains right next to each other. We have hundreds of different cultures and languages from all over the planet.
    We have liberals intermingled with conservatives. We tend strongly toward the Dems, but then we have a strong tendency to choose Rep Governors.
    We complain about the environment and oil drilling but we run up high power bills and drive gas guzzlers.
    We complain about paying taxes but don't want to cut any public spending.
    We support gay rights but we don't want them to get married. We hate immigrants but we love them at the same time.
    This state is full of contradictions that most people do not notice during the day to day living.

Even my own world view can be contradictory until someone gets to know me and learns why I see things the way I do. That is I find it useful to try to see things from another person's perspective if an opportunity is given. In a state with a wide diversity of experiences, we are going to have a wide diversity of world views based on that diversity.
    It's just a question of do you see things positively or negatively. You determine the meaning of life by the way you react to the things, people, behaviors, and events around you.

The advantages?
    To see the light of the creation within your own body, to be capable of love so immense that it transcends all earthly things. To be capable of working a job, working a house and keep this wonderful attitude while your bones ache. To be so gentle within all you do, to step lightly, to turn fat into the most sensuous curvature, to light up the room with a single smile.
    They are the goddesses of common, earthly angels doing laundry, supernatural beings in ordinary world.

Honestly... Just being able to feel sexy.
    Its only when you put on that dress or that skirt that you feel like a real women

Quote Originally Posted by KellyCD View Post
    Well, in my career field. Females have the advantage of getting paid just as much as others, yet not have to do any work at all. Some don't even bother showing up for work and never have to worry about getting fired, maybe only a stern talking to but that's it.

Also on the rare days that any of them actually DO show up to work, they are always provided the option of getting out of any tasking or actual work with the classic and often used "My *insert random body part* hurts! So I'm gonna go lay down". It's quite miraculous actually since the moment we get off work it's like they're a new person! All of the sudden they can run, jump, dance.....and get completely wasted within 15 minutes of being off work.

Oh, and if by some chance a "supervisor" tries to correct them...say for instance, try to break up the talking and get them to work he will be met with a very loud "DON'T CHA SEE I'MMA TRYIN TO TALK HERRRR?!?!? RUUUUDE!!"

*Sigh*

We can't really say anything to them, with the whole "sexual harassment" threat. That, AND most of the superiors want to and/or trying to sleep with them so they don't want to jeopardize the option of a one night fling.

Yes. That's the tip of the iceberg of the advantages of being a female where I work. I'd transition in a heartbeat just so I wouldn't have to work anymore.

sing it...........i have the same problems

Quote Originally Posted by KellyCD View Post
    Well, in my career field. Females have the advantage of ...
    Quote Originally Posted by sonna View Post
    sing it...........i have the same problems
    What line of work are these? Maybe I'm headed in the wrong field?
    Reine

I'll make a list.

The plusses:

• We get to be happy in our gender (just as cis men are happy in their gender).
    • We get to cry when life overwhelms us, although too much sniveling gets frowned upon.
    • If we are pretty, men admire us and pay attention to us (just as girls admire and fawn over gorgeous men).
    • We do have a wider variety of fashions to choose from.
    • We get to be moms (just as men get to be dads).
    • We definitely get to bond emotionally with other women (I think in different ways that men get to bond with other men).
    • Workplace opportunities are increasingly open to us, and pay scale differences between men and women are narrowing.
    • If a physical task is too difficult, we get to ask a man to help and usually he will oblige if the request is reasonable.

The minuses:

• If we are pretty, sometimes we receive unwanted attention.
    • If we have focused our youth on being pretty, as we age it becomes increasingly time consuming and expensive to keep up the illusion. Many of us hate to age, since it is hard to ignore impossibly high media standards for feminine beauty.
    • Unlike men, who can be very attractive with no makeup on, thinning hair, or a thickening waistline, if we go out like this we are seen as being unattractive by many men. This is a minus mostly if we are single and looking.
    • Monthly menses, post-partum depression, and menopause wreak havok on our emotional well-being for many of us.
    • Since pay scale differences are not quite caught up, we cannot always afford the fashions & accessories we would like especially if we have kids and we are single.
    • If we have kids and devote a significant number of years caring for them, we often lose our sense of selves and it can become challenging to get it back and refocus our lives elsewhere after the kids are gone.
    • If a physical task is too difficult, sometimes we need to pay to get the job done especially if we are divorced and there is no man around we can ask. Or we mess up our rotator cuff by attempting to do the work ourselves.
    • We don't feel safe when we are alone, in many of the places and situations that men who are alone can feel safe in.

Well said.. I think most other views, this is a generalization so can in no way cover all, apologize now for the falacy, are just an expression of jealousy or sour grapes.
    PRIDE

GO REDWINGS
    I'm a geek and proud of that too
    Stay femme my friend

Find me at Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002088230763
    URnotalone: http://profiles.urnotalone.com/144465