Thread: Shaved My Head

Shaved My Head

Well I did it, I shaved off all of hair. I'm sure there is a bunch of you screaming at your screens upon reading this. After 2+ years of growth, I felt I needed to change my look. I had been getting tired of it for some time now and had always planned on donating it to Locks for Love. Plus, I often hear that gg's prefer guys with short hair. I have been single all my life and I sometimes think that the hair was a hurting my chances. Although, most times women on those online dating sites wouldn't even take the time to look at my pics or even read my profile - just delete my message and complain why they can't meet any "Nice Guys." I know that I am going to miss having long hair. It sure came in handy when taking moring swims in my swimsuit adding to the appearence as well as stepping out of my apartment. I do own a wig but it is a little worse for wear. As I said, I will miss the hair for cding purposes but this is all just a small part of my life and frankly I have more important needs to attend to that needs a more well groomed look. Besides, it will grow back - it is only hair and I have been blessed with it.

Aspiring Member
    I did the same thing about ten years back and friends thought I was crazy. Know what though? It wasn't their business.

You don't need to justify yourself to anyone!

Wow! That's a big change Shelby. From long hair to bald in one day. I jst got a haircut from a new young guy at the shop I normally go to. He butchers my hair! So I gave it some thougth to shave it all off. But call me chicken. I just don't think I'm one of those guys that looks good shaved bald.
    Hey, if it increases your chances with the ladies, it's worth it. Good luck in that area of your life.

Deep in the Heart of Texas..okay..DFW area
    LOL..shelby, that was my first response to be in shock..like "how could she???", but sometimes change is good.. I have not had a crewcut since last June after getting one continuously for 28 yrs in the military. So being the rebel, I let it grow...now the top and sides I can live with..but the back has a mind of its own..both sides look like a bird's wings spread to max Now I remember why I didn't let my hair grow too much in high school. I'm visiting a salon soon to see about using a straightener and getting some shape put in.. if not happy, then back to crew cut

Hope you enjoy the change..thank you for sharing..

Hugs,
    Marissa
    Last edited by Marissa; 02-17-2011 at 10:18 PM.
    Marissa

"You better look hard and look twice,
    ...is that me, baby or just a brilliant disguise?"- The Boss

Gold Member
    Sounds like it may be wig shopping time then. And stay back with the razor!

I hacked it all off once after growing it out for close to 5 years. Kept it short for about 3, then started up again about 4 years ago. I don't plan on cutting it until it passes my waist, and even then no shorter than just beyond my shoulders. I love having long hair. It goes a long way (bad pun) in helping me pass, and I get a lot of compliments even when in drab.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
    Plus, I often hear that gg's prefer guys with short hair.
    Well... sounds like the deed is already done, so there isn't much to be done about it at this point... but that's exactly the wrong reasoning to do anything.

Some years ago, before the vagaries of male pattern baldness set in, I had long hair... down to my shoulder blades. I had a wonderful girlfriend for about two years during that time. She told me at one point that she had never imagined herself dating a guy with long hair.

But there we were. What was it? We just clicked, and the hair was nowhere near as important as the chemistry we shared.

Well, I cut it off when my hairline started receding noticeably, and bought some wigs. Flash forward a few years. I'm now dating a girl who, by her own direct admission, never EVER pictured herself dating a tranny.

But here we are.

The moral of this story is twofold. One, women are attracted to things we simply don't understand... and while they may talk about physical appearance, that's a small part. Your character is far more important.

Two, the real attraction is to a guy who is not afraid to be who he is, and is confident. It doesn't matter if you're a Coors swilling NASCAR fan or a horn-rimmed glasses sporting art-house movie fan. If you're comfortable with yourself, there will be a woman who's comfortable with you.

In other words... the length of your hair is not even remotely a factor in your ability -- or lack thereof -- to attract a mate.

And let's take this a step further.

If you indeed attract a female who likes you only for your "manly" appearance and your short hair... how well do you think she'll take the ... ah... "alternative" aspects of your personality?

You're shooting yourself in the foot, methinks.

I know where you are at, but it is still a "shock" thing for me. In my schooldays, we had to have short hair. As I got close to leaving and going to University, they were a bit more lenient as long hair was big news... I am talking late 60s early 70s here. At the end of my first year at Uni my hair was down to my pecs. Then I started receding. 3 years later I was was virtually bald on top and had to have short hair... otherwise it just looked stupid. So there we are.

Back then I would have given anything to get my hair back. 35 year later, I am accustomed to my face! But when I put on a wig and some make-up...! Transformation.

Get a good quality wig.. it will cost, but when you transform... it will feel like you are stepping into someone else!
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Shelby,

For those of us "follicly" challenged, a great gasp of horror has escaped our lips. Tears are streaming from our eyes. And cries of, "Why couldn't I have hair like that?" are being offered up.

CE

I began losing my hair in high school. By the end of colllege it was losing the fight to stay on top. In my late 20s all I had left was the hair on the sides and that is where I am now at 61. If I could grow hair I'd grow it to the length you see in my avatar! I'd brush it 100 strokes a night and I go to a salon once a month for a trim and a style. So those of you who have hair count your blessings (follicles) each time you look in the mirror.

Shelby, whatever works for you go with it!
    Dana Fleming

I have had my head shaved for about 10 years. I tried letting it grow out several times and always shaved it again. I have several short wigs that is great with a shaved head. I could not wear them with hair of any length.

I don't quite understand your reasons for doing this, but it's your life and you won't have to worry about contracting head lice anymore.

Seriously, the only thing that should concern you, is if your doing this because it's like a "purge" for your skull. We all know Purges don't work, (or, we should) so if you did it to appear to be more "macho;" I think it was a waste of time. Anyway, good luck with this new look. I understand it's not "a no-maintenance thing," like a lot of guys believe. Your going to be using that razor every week, or spending a lot of time at The Barber's. I also understand it can become very itchy!

Last thought that just occurred to me. If you want to wear a wig, your skull is now pretty slick. Your going to need some type of system to keep that wig in place. Better check with A Wig Salon. It's likely, they have dealt with the problem before with their Chemo Customers.

Peace and Love, Joanie

It is shaved to the scalp, there is about 1/4 inch of hair there. I had be planning to cut it off anyways and I just felt it was time. The thing I find is that most women like a clean cut guy and I have to admit, I wanted a more professional appearence at work. I was talking to a Teacher atwork today and she commented on how we live in a world of double standards. A woman can have long hair and no big deal but if she has short spiky hair, she must be butch. A guy has long hair, he is either a hippie or a rebel and often not taken seriously as a professional. I am happy with my looks right now. I feel good, I even feel like I am more attractive since all I hear are compliments. I am single and to be honest I want to meet a woman, but have felt that the hair was hurting my chances. I know that sounds stupid, but that is how I feel. To me finding someone who will except me for who I am is far more important then how I look, but sometimes one needs to to advantage of all the opportunities available. I know someday soon I will regret this move, but this was something that was going to happen and I like my short hair.

I wish I could post a pic, but I seem to be having trouble doing so.

I believe that your professional image is what you project and what your accomplishments say about you. Case and point - Michael Jackson's lawyer Thomas Mesereau - Do you remember his hair? I believe that the majority of the obstacle is in our own heads. If we believe that we won't achieve all of the respect that we need, then it is a self-fulfilling prophesy and we are dooomed before we start. If on othe other hand, we are proud of our hair or whatever our difference is, then it can actually help us to achieve respect. It is all in the mind set. If you project a lack of confidence, then you will surely not be taken seriously and will not achieve the respect and rewards that you seek. Don't let folks lead you down this path of conformity because conformity is basically setteling for mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
    It is shaved to the scalp, there is about 1/4 inch of hair there. I had be planning to cut it off anyways and I just felt it was time. The thing I find is that most women like a clean cut guy and I have to admit, I wanted a more professional appearence at work. I was talking to a Teacher atwork today and she commented on how we live in a world of double standards. A woman can have long hair and no big deal but if she has short spiky hair, she must be butch. A guy has long hair, he is either a hippie or a rebel and often not taken seriously as a professional. I am happy with my looks right now. I feel good, I even feel like I am more attractive since all I hear are compliments. I am single and to be honest I want to meet a woman, but have felt that the hair was hurting my chances. I know that sounds stupid, but that is how I feel. To me finding someone who will except me for who I am is far more important then how I look, but sometimes one needs to to advantage of all the opportunities available. I know someday soon I will regret this move, but this was something that was going to happen and I like my short hair.

I wish I could post a pic, but I seem to be having trouble doing so.
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

My mind was thinking faster then my fingers could type. I still have about 1/4inch of hair left. I am sorry that some of you cannot experience growing out your own hair. For me this was a first, but I never intended on keeping it. Since tha majority of my life is spent as a guy, I have put those needs ahead of Shelby's. She plays a small yet important part of my life but I have more important needs in life then being able curl my hair.

Hi..

As yous know by my pic i wear head wear or scarves most of the time . & thats as a woman . no hair & what little that does grow is shaved off pretty quick...

I have had women ask me if i have or on chemo. no , just i dont have any hair , & a friend i have is on chemo & asked me about wearing a scarve as she has lost her hair & theres not many i know who wear scarves like i do..

...noeleena...

Good for you!!! I shaved my head going on 18 years now. Best thing I thunk I ever did.

That said. It is alot of maintenance. If you decide to lose that last 1/4". You will need to shave, with a razor and soap, no electric gizmos, every other day. Smooth. That's the ticket.

No need to worry about a wig. In reality. They stick better to a bald scalp then hair. Hair is slick. The oils that you produce and the friction of skin areore then enough to hold a wig on and in place.

So let the nay Sayers nay say. Ignore them. It's your head not there's. If they want hair, more power to them I say.
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because your all the same

The avvy pic isn't me
    My, but we are a vain bunch huh? Understandably so i guess.
    I'm gonna take this in another direction and commend you for what you've done, hold your freshly shorn head high and proud Shelby! As someone who has had too much experience with cancer all around me, you have done a great thing, major kudos to you. Reach over your shoulder and give yourself a good pat on the back!

It is also refreshing to see one of us release themselves from the burden of feminine vanity and feel free to express themselves in a true sense of how they feel at this moment in time. As you say there are other life reasons needing your thoughts and visible expression.
    It'll grow back. Good luck with the dating process, and i know what you mean by "where are all the nice guys?".......duh, we are right here ladies!!!!

Cassie
    Last edited by Cassandra Lynn; 02-19-2011 at 11:17 PM.

welcome to my world I am bold due to old age. Thank GOd for places like paula young wigs so I can still see my self in curls Shelby it is all about what makes you happy. I hope you find what you are looking for

Wigs also make variety easy. Unless you're into doing the Sinead look.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Good for you Shelby especially if you're getting more attention from women. Ya know.... I think I'm gonna do it too! I bet you're right, women like openness, clean-cut no nonsense honesty & straight-up confidence. Why the fc not! It's the weekend...yea, I'm goin for it. This girly sh#t has lost it's auto-erotic boost for me - which is why I started it in the 1st place. My whole M2F Lezzie thing was self-invented - I never felt any compulsion and now it's just fcn boring. Too much effort involved. I gotta force myself to do it lately. Having no sex life is no kinda life and at this point I just don't think there's any substitute for a GG gf. Good luck to you. Me too...