Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I told my wife!

Banned Read only

I told my wife!

Holy cow, I did it and it could not have gone better. For anyone considering telling your wife or girlfriend. I want to give you the play by play. I wrote down what I wanted to say and practiced it a hundred times. This is it word for word:

Sweetie,
    I love you and I have something I have to tell you that will shock you and likely change the way you think of me forever. I’ve hidden this since I was a kid and wanted to tell you so many times but I always chickened out. Now, I’ve reached the point of breaking and have to tell you. I don’t know why today is different from the hundred other times I was “close” to telling you but here I am.

I don’t mean to pass my burden to you but I don’t want to hide any more. I am tired of being afraid that you will find out and scared that putting you in some unfair position will cause you to hate me. It would probably be easier for me if I kept this buried but as I said, I reached my breaking point. It’s my only deceit. I feel damned if I do, damned if I don’t.

I’m going to beat around the bush here because I am humiliated and scared. I don’t want to lose you. I love you and have always loved you. So, let me first say what this is NOT about:
    I have not had an affair. I have never had an affair and I do not want to have an affair. I love you and only you. I love you emotionally and sexually. You are it for me and always have been. You are a fantastic wife and an even better mother. This is not about you are anything you have done or not done. I am so afraid of losing you that my guts are in knots.
    I am not gay. I do not want a sex-change or anything along those lines. I like being a straight guy. I love being your husband.
    I don’t rob banks or kill people, nothing criminal. I think I’m pretty normal, except….

From the time I was 8 years old I have been keeping a secret from the world, and that obviously includes you. I am a cross-dresser. There it is. My one secret out in the open. I thought I would take this to the grave alone. I kind of wish that you knew and were just afraid of embarrassing me but this is not something someone would reasonably suspect of me.
    (I found out to the contrary)

I am ashamed that I was such a coward that I couldn’t tell you but at various times in my life this part of me has been weak to the point that I thought I was “over it” but it has never been gone. I’ve had 40 years to deal with this and I still don’t know “why” I do it. I can’t and don’t expect you to understand. All I can offer is to be 100% open and answer any questions you might have. I am sure there are hundreds.

You have complete control of where this goes. I took step 1 now you get to own steps 2 through infinity. IF you want to discuss daily or never, that is ok. Participate or not, want see or not see that anything ok. I get no say in this. You can set any boundary condition you want and I’ll respect it and follow it.

I love you more than I can say. I’d die for you.

Her words,"Honey I've known for years. It's ok and I am kind of relieved."
    Me: "Why relieved?"
    Her: "I didn't know if you were gay or wanted a sex change or what."
    Me: "How did you know?"
    Her: "Every time I came home from being away my clothes were out of place, hung differently, that kind of thing."
    Me: "I'll do anything you want, as little or as much as you like but I'd really like to just hang up my things in the closet."
    Her: "That's fine, I don't care. I really don't want to share my clothes with you because you'll stretch them out." said laughing. "Any time you need to get away, just tell me and that fine too. I'm not ready to see you dressed yet but I love you."

There was more conversation but she is INCREDIBLE! God I love her.

Hello, my name is Lacey. Kittie's Avatar
    I'm happy things went so great for you! Sounds like you have been sub-conciously leaving clues in the wardrobe lol. x

that made me cry ...
    xoxo

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey-D View Post
    I'm happy things went so great for you! Sounds like you have been sub-conciously leaving clues in the wardrobe lol. x
    Funny thing is I actually tried to cover up. The lesson here is that if you THINK you are covering your steps, you are mistaken. I am so relieved. 100 ton weight gone.

Congratulations. I am so happy for you. I can only imagine how great you must feel having that off your chest.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Christy_M View Post
    Congratulations. I am so happy for you. I can only imagine how great you must feel having that off your chest.
    Thanks, I feel like shouting from the rooftops. My love for that woman can't be described.

It sounds like coming out to your wife was the best thing you could have done. At one point you told her that you didn't want to pass the burden onto her, but you probably relieved her of some of that burden because she no longer has to live in dark about your cding. You're now free to communicate openly about it and that will help to strengthen acceptance.

WOW!!! That is an amazingly compelling story! I was so much more harsh when I came out to my wife (I've been using your makeup and wearing your panties, here's dinner, and I'm dressed as a woman) You are a wonderful girl and should be commended!

hi Jenny
    when i read your letter my eyes were watering
    i am veery happy for you and your wife that everything goes well
    i start to write a plus or minus the same letter as yours for telling to my lovely wife (since 35 years) what i am
    can i borrow from yours a few sentences to complete mine
    i will also come out to her as you did
    i plan to do it in the next few weeks
    love Laura

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura De Santis View Post
    hi Jenny

can i borrow from yours a few sentences to complete mine
    Laura, feel free to borrow any words that seem appropriate. I hope your wife responds well. After 20 years with my wife, I was worried, but deep down, I knew she was a deeply tolerant person. If yours is open minded, there is room to find compromise. Practice your talk. Keep it brief and make the discussion about her and what she can handle. Best of luck

I wasn't actually that callous. We've been married nearly 16 years and I've been leading up to it...

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    Her words,"Honey I've known for years. It's ok and I am kind of relieved."
    Her: "Any time you need to get away, just tell me and that fine too. I'm not ready to see you dressed yet but I love you."
    That is a wonderful response from someone who must be an exceptional human being! Please just remember to take it at her pace now, it would be all too easy to get carried away with the new freedom your wife has given you despite your good intentions.

Have you worked out yet in what creative way you are going to express your appreciation of her response?
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Rianna Humble View Post

Have you worked out yet in what creative way you are going to express your appreciation of her response?
    No, but I won't rule out groveling. She gets a free pass for life. I'll remind myself every day.

When I finally told my wife, she told me that she had known for some time. When I asked how, she simply said, " you are not as clever as you think you are". And when I did tell her, she too expressed great relief that my secret wasn't something terrible, that I wasn't having an affair or wanted to leave her.

The lesson I think is that women know things, maybe they don't know the details, but they are great observers and they know things. Best not to let them think worse of us.

It sounds like you married an amazing woman, just like the amazing woman that I married.

It also sounds like you have some great communication going, and that you are genuinely more concerned about her than you are about yourself. I would encourage that, and hope that you continue to listen to her, and understand what all of this means to her.
    Grace,
    Bobbi

"Talking is sharing. Listening is caring."

I am very glad that you took the time to prepare the proper speech and that all worked well for you.
    I have to tell you that I did not have a speech prepared and it did not go as well, No as bad as it could have, alot of crying and turmoil for a while, But we did get thru it.

I am very happy that your wife took it so well.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Jennifer, what a great, great story. You are very lucky, but your wife is, too.

Jennifer, that's the kind of story that should lend hope to those that have not told yet, because it's hard to find the right love, under any circumstances, people get to feeling that because we cross dress, we can never find happiness with a woman, and it's just not true, there is so many happily married members here. There are women out there that will love you because your a cross dresser, and there are women out there that can love you despite the fact that you are a cross dresser. And plenty of women that fall in between that, such as the DADT group. It's always so nice to here the success story's.
    Tina B.

Jennifer,

Well done! I am so happy for both of you.

Well Jennifer,you are just getting on the "rollercoaster ride of acceptance"...There will PROBABLY be a whole lot of ups and downs before the ride is finished. There are tons of posts that discuss that. Reine recently wrote an excellant one from the SO of a dresser's point of view,regarding how they have to grow in acceptance as the TG's level of identity changes.If not,the acceptance from the SO no longer matches the situation. There are many interesting comments on acceptance in this forum.
    Last edited by Rogina B; 03-06-2011 at 09:19 AM.

Two things
    first: its great that you've cleared the air now you can just go on living without the heavy weight of this secret
    second: it constantly amazes me how men can wear their wives clothes and think they can put them back without the wives knowing.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

You put your fate in her hands, and she responded by giving you acceptance with boundaries. Appreciate the acceptance, and respect the boundaries. And get your own clothes. You lucky dog.

Jennifer,
    That was fantastic! Well written, and absolutley nothing left hidden about the way you feel for your wife. You are a lucky girl, but then again, so is your wife. Being open with your wife on cross-dressing makes your relationship so much better in the long run. You are an exemplar model for those who have not yet told their SO's, but are wanting to. Congratulations.

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    I'm so happy for you that you did it.
    Being out really changed my life.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

Jennifer. Your words showed clearly that you not only wanted the burden off of your back, but in doing o, cared deeply for your wife. No doubt you love each other. But now that there are no secrets, that love will grow ten fold.
    We read other stories of how and when others came out to their loved ones, some turn out not so good. Then we read stories like yours and begin to realize their are more good results posted then bad ones. I could not be happier for you. I'd much rather read stories like yours then to read how others were met with shock, hurt and negative results. I welcome you to the club of those of us that share our complete and true selves with our partners.
    Your wife is an extraordinarily tolerant, compassionate and loving woman. If others can see that in their wives, then it can go as lovingly as your confession did. I am very happy for not only you, but for your wife as well.