Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Walk in the Middle of Nowhere

A Walk in the Middle of Nowhere

I was born a boy 48 years ago. Hard to believe I'm still here, alive on this planet. I was born into nothing, not as bad as it could have been, not as good as it could have been either.

My programming wasn't quite right. Inside I'm wired to be a girl. I should have been a Mom, should have had the relationships girls have with their mothers, sisters, and girl friends. My mom and dad kinda influenced the programming when I was 3. They thought it was funny to make me wear my sister's dress. Maybe I'd have still been gender confused if they hadn't done anything, but that's life.

In addition to gender issues, my brain doesn't completely work as it does for others. Asperger's Syndrome, combined with a Mensa qualified cerebrum, means I am subject to weird responses from people - negative criticisms that are extraordinarily complimentary.

Case in point: One day I was presenting something I'd done at work. (It was a technique to measure the gnarliness of polygons on a spherical surface. It was really quite simple.) One guy with a Ph.D. said, "That problem's probably been solved somewhere by a bunch of Ph.D's already." I told him, "You're probably right. I looked, couldn't find anything, and had to have the work done in 2 weeks, so I just did it."

On the other hand I have the emotional capability of a child. In another thread I said I didn't know what it was like to be lonely. It isn't that I've never been alone - I feel alone all of the time actually - but alone doesn't equal lonely.

I read something that said 70% of all communication is non-verbal, and Aspies (people with Asperger's Syndrome) are essentially blind to non-verbal communication. Body language, voice subtleties are lost on an Aspie. I don't know if that's right, but it's probably close.

Imagine a world where you are cut off from nearly everything that's being communicated. You're face-to-face with someone and they say something. "You've done a great job! We're cutting the project." The latter part is easy to objectively measure. What of the former? Is it true? Is it a lie? You can't tell because you're reading this in text on a forum. In real life, you might be able to tell if the person is telling the truth or lying. To me, I still only get the text portion.

I must live in The Real World with real people.

I came from nothing. A week from today I brief our Sr. VP and other senior managers on the results of a piece of research I just completed. The person for whom I did the work believes the VP will find some money to continue the work in the next fiscal year, maybe a quarter million. I'll present our work, our results, our recommendations. We'll joke about things, we'll get real serious, and I might even come off as being somewhat normal. I've briefed these folks before. Not bad for coming from nothing.

I'm married. We've been on the rocks mostly on transgender issues. On learning of Asperger's however, it seems much of our troubles are in communication. A year ago I purged virtually everything. That was September 12, 2004. I figured that by now we'd either solve gender issues or be divorced. While gender issues aren't solved, I go out as Stephanie once a month. Learning of Asperger's has made it so that when I think Tracy is saying or doing something against me, I stop and reconsider, and we talk. While things aren't great, home is no longer the hostile place it once was. I'm learning.

I have a daughter. I try not to make her into me. I try to do things she likes to do. I try to be a good parent. I know sometimes I really am a father, sometimes just a parent, maybe father, maybe mother. I don't know. She's almost 7, so the fundamental things are already established. She's now in first grade. Her class did a mural at school, where each of the students had to draw themselves. She drew herself as the tallest; physically she's second shortest. Guess she's doing okay.

I walk through life. I'm alone in a world filled with people. Inside I'm a girl, unless I need to project Physical Strength. So often I don't know who is genuine and who isn't. I like walking late at night, because I'm alone with the Moon and the stars.

I'm not lonely, just alone.
    Stephanie

Mac - It really does Just Work

Nothing wrong with being alone. Under the stars or out at sea I love to be alone atimes. And I am happy for yopu that you don't know of lonelyness.

Nice to know more about you Stephanie.
    Stephenie

Alone?

We are never completly alone only at times lonely, I know because I felt like you at one point in my life, and I had 23 employees working for me if you think that youare alone, It is mighty lonely at the top that is when I know that I am never alone, I put my feelings and trust in God and I am not trying to get you to believe in something that you don't want to, but this in just my input on your thread. I hope I didn't offend you or that you feel I am intruding into a plce in your life that I am not wanted, but you laid all of your feelings out there and expected a comment , well I'm commenting to you the only thing that I have used to get me through that lonesome and vacant feeling, is my Trust in God .
    Please read my sinature.
    LOVE & HUGS Georgette

Be who you want to be not what others think you should be
    On the Road to a better Place

If, God put you there, God will help you through it.

Really deep stuff there Stephanie, and answers to some unspoken questions. Thanks for sharing yourself with us.

What I don't get is why you feel alone?

I use to climb the mountain behind my house when I was a kid, just to be by myself. I would get up to a nice high cliff and sit and think. Although no one was around, I didn't feel I was alone in the world.
    DonnaT

Thanks Stephenie!

No offense at all Georgette! Suffice it to say I'm agnostic. I see much simplicity in the universe, but I figure all I have is what's on this planet. As far as being lonely, once I thought I knew the experience but found it to be false.

Thank you DonnaT! Why do I feel alone? It would be easy to say, doesn't everyone? I knew a girl in college who expressed the need to be with someone in her life. I never understood that. I've never needed anyone. I guess that loneliness would require togetherness in order to be understood. I've really never felt togetherness either. (Sometimes I wonder how I've survived so long in a marriage.)
    Stephanie

-the title says it all ........I get it..........

.....too......
    Just Remember,"Wherever You go- There You are ! "

Girl in disguise Emily Ann Brown's Avatar
    Thanks dear,

That was to me such a beautiful piece. Wow, I feel like I know so much more about you now. You're even more beautiful on the inside....

Emily Ann

It's a wonderful, concise auto-biography of yourself, Steph, and written so well and non-defensively. Thank you so much for opening yourself up and sharing with us these things that are part of what makes you "you".
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

Stephanie,

Thank you so much for that beautifully written account of what it is like to be you. Sharing your perspective with others is one of the greatest gifts you can give them.

I have done some reading on Asperger's over the years. I also have an astronomical IQ and in my early teens I was diagnosed with a condition that is related to Asperger's: prosopagnosia ("face blindness"). While that may not seem like much of a disability, it does make social interation very difficult because I am unable to recognize people unless they have some unique combination of distinguishing characteristics that I can artificially memorize (baldness, tatoos, piercings, moles, unusual voices -- those are my only clues). While I don't experience the human world exactly as you do, I can relate to the experience of having to learn and practice social skills that come naturally to other people, and having to compensate and "fake it" in the hope that, as you so eloquently put it, "I might even come off as being somewhat normal." As a result I am not a very social person, although--paradoxically--I love people.

I am happy that you and your wife are finding ways to improve the communication between you, and I am also happy that your daughter is growing up to be someone who sees herself "standing tall." It is true (and sad) that you cannot be a mother, but you can still be as nurturing and maternal in your parental role as any genetic woman is. Your little girl is very lucky to have you as her dad.

Oh and Stephanie.....I'm so glad you decided to stay.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And if the people stare
    Then the people stare
    Oh, I really don't know and I really don't care....

--The Smiths

Julie

me too Marla

" I can relate to the experience of having to learn and practice social skills that come naturally to other people, and having to compensate and "fake it" in the hope that, as you so eloquently put it, "I might even come off as being somewhat normal." As a result I am not a very social person, although--paradoxically--I love people"

Boy Marla, can I ever relate to that. I know many people feel that I'm unfriendly, and the only friends I have are those I share a stong common interest with...I envy those who are charismatic and can relate and take an interest in people from all walks of life..I wish I could.

Stephanie, very nice and heartfelt image of how you experience the world..how many people do we unfairly judge, if only we could get behind what they project on the surface. Thanks for that though provoking glimpse.

Stephanie, it seems that your solitude has served well to develop your powers of introspection... I've also found that to be one of the major benefits of solitude (as opposed to loneliness)
    [SIZE=1]
    Marge, you being a cop makes you the Man, which makes me the woman. And I have no interest in that!

...besides occasionally wearing the underwear, which, as we discussed, is strictly a comfort thing.
    ~ H. Simpson

Silly goose, of course that's not me in my avatar![/size]

Platinum Member
    wow thats so intresting sometimes we don't realy know who we are , oh we think we do then when we think abought it ...we are ever changeing.. this i can tell you for shure we truly won't know were we are going untill after we have been there...till then we just need to do them small steps.....and dance when we can.....

Quote Originally Posted by Katya
    The problem with other people is how their observations reduce a person full of potential and indeterminate probable states to a single collapsed wavefunction.
    And that will continue to be true, simply because it's easier to do so. The average human does not like to actually think any more than they have to... Categorisation, while indispensible to scientific enquiry, is a crutch for the mass of humanity, one that brings about atrophy of critical thinking skills.
    [SIZE=1]
    Marge, you being a cop makes you the Man, which makes me the woman. And I have no interest in that!

...besides occasionally wearing the underwear, which, as we discussed, is strictly a comfort thing.
    ~ H. Simpson

Silly goose, of course that's not me in my avatar![/size]

Khriss, thank you! I know you do. |-)

Thank you Emily Ann!

Thank you Sharon!

Marla, what can I say? Thank you. The IQ doesn't surprise me. Bright women shine.

Regarding prosopagnosia, back in August I went to my 30th high school class reunion. I was one of the very few people who hadn't changed, which put me at a disadvantage. Others would come up to me and say, "Hi Steve! You haven't changed. Good to see you!!!!!" In a few instances I was thinking, 'Who in the world are you?!' For an evening that can be interesting. I couldn't imagine an entire life like that. But of course you have to do that every day. You're a brave soul, Lady.

It's good to be here, good to be back. Thank you!

sportschick, how true! I would guess that everyone has some challenges in their lives. I figure I'm free to judge one person - me.

Hi Lauren_T! Solitude. Over half of my work hours are done outside the "normal work week". Saturdays I have this entire building to myself. ^_^ I stay up late at night after my wife and daughter have gone to bed. I thrive on it. It's essential for me to regenerate.

Katya, how true.

Hiya Wendy! I figure we're all trying to make our way through life one step at a time. And yes, dancing is essential. Need to play. On the days when Alice and I are waiting for her bus, people driving past probably think we're nuts. Sometimes we're dancing like kids on the sidewalk. Doesn't matter, we're having fun.
    Stephanie

That's a fascinating piece of writing Stephanie. Have you ever read "The Fascinating Incident of The Dead Dog in The Night" (I think that's the title?) It is a remarkable book and very funny.....but maybe not so funny if you have Aspergers

I was wondering.....If you have trouble 'reading' the intentions of people because of the lack of signals that other people see....(but you don't see them)...then what the hell must you have made of me?! Sometimes I am so ironic in my writing and humour even 'I' don't know when I am being serious. If all you were reading were the words.....Wow! Confusing.

(I'm being serious now btw).

Quote Originally Posted by Julie York
    That's a fascinating piece of writing Stephanie. Have you ever read "The Fascinating Incident of The Dead Dog in The Night" (I think that's the title?) It is a remarkable book and very funny.....but maybe not so funny if you have Aspergers
    I just bought a copy of it last night on the way to the couples' counselor. (I bought Yet Another BIG Cup of Coffee at the same time.) A friend outside the forums recommended it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie York
    I was wondering.....If you have trouble 'reading' the intentions of people because of the lack of signals that other people see....(but you don't see them)...then what the hell must you have made of me?! Sometimes I am so ironic in my writing and humour even 'I' don't know when I am being serious. If all you were reading were the words.....Wow! Confusing.

(I'm being serious now btw).
    Most times Julie I end up smiling when I get caught. There was one incident a couple of months ago when Crispy was being a naughty shark. She was trolling a line that was clearly absurd to everyone else, and I just took it for absolute truth. I still love Crispy, long as she doesn't nibble my toes.

But yeah, it's hard to know. My default is people mean exactly what they say. Sure there's risk in that, but for me it's worth it.
    Stephanie

alone

STEPH, no one walks alone in this world. your god will guide you. believe in your heart. and others who truly love you.

Quote Originally Posted by KELLYANN
    STEPH, no one walks alone in this world. your god will guide you. believe in your heart. and others who truly love you.
    Thank you KELLYANN. I appreciate the sentiment.

It just isn't that way for me. I have no god. "Heart" is irrelevant to me. "Love" is a supremely challenging concept to me, something intellectual, not felt. I do walk alone, and it's okay.
    Stephanie

Very nicely written. Reflective, expressive. Nicely done. You've probably spoken for many people on this forum, and they will find themselves in what you have written.

I tend not to put my trust in any being, supernatural or otherwise, that I can't see, feel, or hear. I've never spoken to a god and had it answer me, and I don't believe anyone who says that they have communicated with god. Not sure if that makes me agnositic, pessimistic, atheist, or realist. It's just what I believe. I've never felt alone in my thoughts, beliefs, or sexuality. I yam what I yam and that's what I yam.

I love your avatar, by the way. Is it you? It looks very much like it could be.

Thank you Sweet Susan!!!

Regarding the avatar, no it's not me. I wish! The profile picture is, however.
    Stephanie

As ever a thought provoking post, we all can be lonely, even when surrounded by the people we love, sometimes a good thing sometimes a bad..... we can decide that for ourselves.
    Thanks again Stephanie
    Fiona
    xx
    Girls who are boys, Who like boys to be girls, Who do boys like they're girls, Who do girls like they're boys, Always should be someone you really love

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brooks
    Thank you Sweet Susan!!!

Regarding the avatar, no it's not me. I wish! The profile picture is, however.
    And very cute you look too.

Just another Aspie here with an IQ in the 99th percentile checking in. Your most eloquent description of your world view struck a chord here. Although I also like people it is "as through a glass but darkly" and I am also "alone but not lonely" being often read as unfriendly, especially when I ignore people who I should recognise but don't. The ability to read and recognise people does get better with age, although I think I shall never be perfectly fluent at it. There seems to be an awful lot of people like us around here. I wonder if there is a connection between Aspergers, high IQ and crossdressing ?

What Me Worry
    Stephanie

A beautiful post you really poured your heart out. I have always enjoyed what you have to say very thought provoking and many times filled with dry humor (my favorite kind). Remember that you never walk alone when you look at your lifes footprints when only one set appears God is carrying you and always watching over all his children. BTW that technique you were working on sounds like you are trying to make a golf ball fly farther. I am really glad you found your way back to this place.

Love Laurie Ann

Thank you Fiona!

Lilith, thank you. <*blushes*> On connections, who knows? I've seen nothing either way, though it would be interesting to learn. Ultimately for me, it's not what we have, it's what we do with it that matters.

Hi Laurie Ann! Thank you! I like "Footprints", but still I see no God. That's okay. On the technique, it was to determine the gnarliness of geographical shapes similar to cities, states, or countries. It was a matter of determining relationships between the actual area of the shape and the predicted area assuming a non-gnarly boundary.
    Stephanie

~~Post Modern Romantic~~ KewTnCurvy GG's Avatar
    Wow, again, Stephanie! I find what you said here strangely beautiful, in a kind of haunting sad way. I have worked with folks, professionally, with Asperger's, so I know of what you speak. Your description of Aspies (to borrow your phrase) is 'spot on' as our friends across the pond would say. I can't imagine what it must be like for you to have a gender issue on top of Asperger's--difficult, confusing, overwhelming..........and a host of other adjectives. Anyhow, my hat off ta ya grrl! It sounds like you've done well by yourself and your family.