Thread: A child's wish

A child's wish

I recall as a child lying in bed at night and looking out the open window at a wishing star and saying to myself “Star Light Star bright, The first star I see tonight, I wish I may, I wish I might, Have the wish I wish tonight. I wish to be a girl. I promise to be good.”
    gallery_2638 wishing star.jpg
    I would look around the room which I shared with my three brothers to make sure they were asleep before I slowly inched my way to the side of my bed and slid slowly to the floor. Under my bed I kept a little wooden box that used to contain an old radio. I would reach into the box and from underneath a pile of comic books I would pull out a girl’s nightgown. I donned the nightgown and crept back into my bed. Then I would fall asleep. This was my nightly ritual.
    In the morning I would be disappointed to find that my wish did not come true but that never stopped me from trying again the next night. I figured that maybe the wishing star was busy granting some other child their wish. I just had to be faithful and continue to wish upon it and sooner or later the star would get around answering mine.
    In a child’s mind there is no such thing as an impossible wish. In the psyche of the very young everything is possible. That is what makes childhood so wonderful, the propensity to hope and dream for things that might not make rational sense.
    As children grow to adulthood they stop looking up at the wishing stars. They assume that because their wish was not granted in a timely fashion that the answer was probably “NO.” That can be no further from the truth. The wishing stars are still there even if we choose not to acknowledge them.
    A wish once wished so long ago is still a wish today.
    It’s a wish in progress.

Never stop wishing upon your star.
    Last edited by dawnmarrie1961; 03-20-2011 at 04:09 PM.
    CANCER IS A BITCH SO YOU HAVE TO BE MORE OF A BITCH TO BEAT IT.

Hi Dawn Marrie,

Thats really beautiful girl, - deep and meaningful. I also have been a dreamer most of my life. There was an old song titled
    "Beautiful Dreamer" that my dad used to sing to me, because he knew I was a tad starry - eyed. This situation usually remedied by a swift backhander!! Little did he know that I am still literally a 'beautiful dreamer' - I would'nt have it any other way now, and I am certain that my late father still loves me no matter what I chose in life.

Jannine. X (with tears in my eyes)

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    It's only when we realize that the wish is a seed we need to nurture if it is to ever come true that we can begin to see what can grow from that wish.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Dawn Marrie...your words are so true and touching. You are right, the wishing stars are still there

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    When I was little I used to make the same wish.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

Quote Originally Posted by Jannine View Post
    Hi Dawn Marrie,

Thats really beautiful girl, - deep and meaningful. I also have been a dreamer most of my life. There was an old song titled
    "Beautiful Dreamer" that my dad used to sing to me, because he knew I was a tad starry - eyed. This situation usually remedied by a swift backhander!! Little did he know that I am still literally a 'beautiful dreamer' - I would'nt have it any other way now, and I am certain that my late father still loves me no matter what I chose in life.

Jannine. X (with tears in my eyes)
    I'm more of a Doris Day "Que Sera Sera What ever will be will be." type. My mom used to sing that one to me. But I like 'Beautiful Dreamer.' too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Charles View Post
    It's only when we realize that the wish is a seed we need to nurture if it is to ever come true that we can begin to see what can grow from that wish.
    Sarah, that's quite true. We need to learn to be nurturing. Not an easy task. It takes some practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria in heels View Post
    Dawn Marrie...your words are so true and touching. You are right, the wishing stars are still there
    Maria, there's one up there for you too. I can see it. do you?

Quote Originally Posted by StaceyJane View Post
    When I was little I used to make the same wish.
    Stacey Jane, maybe we shared the same star.

Beautiful, Dawn Marrie! Simply beautiful! Perfectly said!

I shared that same intensity of wishing on the star when I was little. Night after night with the same fervent hope that you expressed so well.

I didn't have the nightgown though. But I did have the radio and I would use earphones to listen to Jean Shepherd on WOR radio out of New York.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

I had the same wish, but instead, I prayed everynight with the hope that it would happen.

I didn't start wishing upon a star until I was an adult. I would go to the weather decks while at sea (it was darken ship) and the only light anywhere would be coming from the stars. So many stars and no land within sight, just sky and water. I never really believed the wishes would come true but it didn't stop me from making that wish. Of course, if aliens had landed and wanted a volunteer to leave with them, I would have gone in a heart beat.

Even today, if I go outside at dusk, I'll make a wish on the first star I see. Kind of a nice feeling.

Wow, I to had this same wish when I was a child and often find myself making that same wish even now!

Many times, like tonight, I wish I were a girl. I

Wish I had a dollar for every time I wish I was a girl! Your version is so beautiful! Hugs!

The woman inside me Kathryn Philips's Avatar
    I did not formulate the same specific wish when I was little. But I remeber being jealous of girls all my life. Now as an adult I say to myself, "I wish my wife would let me be a girl tomorrow"...
    xxx
    Kathryn

Waiting for my upgrade to Female

So many wishes on so many stars. It's a good thing that the heavens are filled with them. We will never run out.
    Perhaps we are still children that have never grown up. We feel the need to play dress up and pretend. I think that's ok. It means we are still dreamers. I'd hate to live in a world without them. Some may say it is "delusional" to think the way that we do. But one person's "delusion" is another ones 'faith".
    Last edited by dawnmarrie1961; 03-20-2011 at 07:33 PM.

Dawnmarie,
    What a touching story. While I don't remember wishing on a star, like Katie, I was jealous of the girls, and wished I could be more like them. Keep dreaming the stars are a long way away, and sometimes wishes take a long time to reach their destination. The world is for dreamers.

Jaydee

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
    Dawnmarie,
    What a touching story. While I don't remember wishing on a star, like Katie, I was jealous of the girls, and wished I could be more like them. Keep dreaming the stars are a long way away, and sometimes wishes take a long time to reach their destination. The world is for dreamers.

Jaydee
    Thank you, Jaydee. Did you every wonder if some of those girls might have actually thought the same thing about you?

Dawnmarie,
    I hadn't though about it but many of them probably thought that boys had life a lot easier. I guess the grass really is greener...

Jaydee

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
    dawnmarie,
    i hadn't though about it but many of them probably thought that boys had life a lot easier. I guess the grass really is greener...

Jaydee
    Until you have to mow the lawn then our perception of the lawn changes. Suddenly it doesn't look as nifty anymore.

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR BECAUSE YOU MIGHT JUST GET IT!