Thread: En Femme on the Streets in Pittsburgh

En Femme on the Streets in Pittsburgh

Ok I came across a thread talking about Pittsburgh and their love for sports teams which make others not care about the way you dress, sexual orientation, etc. This thread got me thinking a lot more about venturing out because I live in Pittsburgh. I have never really ventured out in full outfits, though I have mixed and matched as well as "came out" so I am open about it with friends and family. However I still have this big fear of actually venturing out. I am hoping to hear from all you lovely ladies about how you cope with going out (preferably in Pittsburgh) But anyone can share their experiances. I'm am always so worried about being picked out then all eyes on me type of thing. Plus I don't want to get hurt either, makes me wonder what type of butt kicking I would recieve from walking down the wrong street.

hugs Jessica

Jessica,

Although I grew up in the South Hills, I left to go to college over 30 years ago and got stuck in Ohio, and I have never been out in the Pittsburgh area. So, I can't tell you anything specific about where to go and where not to go, I would think that much of the Oakland area, with such a large college population, should be safe.

I can give you some advice in general, though.

First, dress appropriate for the place you're going. If you're heading to a mall to go shopping, don't dress like you're headed to a night club.

Second, if you act in a suspicious manner, people will be suspicious of you. So, don't skulk around and act ashamed. The best piece of advice that I got before my first outing was, "Head up, boobs out, walk proud, and smile."

Third, don't go anywhere by yourself that you would not want your wife, girlfriend, or daughter to go by themselves. Be aware of your surroundings, but don't look for trouble.

Fourth, don't be cheap. Resauraunts and other establishments are in business to make money, and for the most part, as long as you spend money there you'll be welcome there. And wait staff will always welcome you back if you tip well.

Fifth, and most important, have fun.

I know there are some girls here that are from the Pgh area, (Karen) that will be happy to give you some pointers on the local scene.
    Grace,
    Bobbi

"Talking is sharing. Listening is caring."

Thank you so much for your pointers Roberta, I will definetly keep them in mind. You think a college area though would be ok? I always thought of that place like that are a breading ground for disaster lol, any school really. I will probably stick to the mall or like a department store like Marshells or something like that at least until I can become more comfortable with going out. Probably help if I lost like 75 lbs lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica Paola View Post
    You think a college area though would be ok? I always thought of that place like that are a breading ground for disaster lol, any school really.
    College areas are good since they tend to be more progressive. They are usually more culturally diverse than other neighborhoods, also gender and sexual variance is a lot more mainstream among today's college students than a generation ago. And college areas tend to have more bookstores/cafés you can hang out in. But, you will need to dress casually: jeans and cute tops. Also bring a laptop and go online .. you'll fit right in!
    Reine

Out and about for an evening in Lawrenceville, on Ellsworth, or at certain places on the South Side (think Lava Lounge, Beehive, Tiki, etc) I think you'll be surprised to see how many other gurls are around. Obviously there are places like Cattivo, 5801, Blue Moon, etc that cater to the GLBT crowd, but really you can feel pretty safe dressed appropriately for the venue almost anywhere in the city.

Definitely the more progressive the scene and the more confident you are the better. It's can be nerve wracking to get up and go out at first but once you do it a few times it'll get more relaxing which equals FUN! Go for it!!!

I've been all over the burgh, Mt Washington, south side.. South hills... No one cares. Especially if your wearing black and gold. Lol.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    I've been all over the burgh, Mt Washington, south side.. South hills... No one cares. Especially if your wearing black and gold. Lol.
    Go Steelers! While I'm unhappy without that 7th Ring, I'm so glad they beat the Jets so I don't have to eat a ration every day for the next nine months.

Quote Originally Posted by j4fun View Post
    Out and about for an evening in Lawrenceville, on Ellsworth, or at certain places on the South Side (think Lava Lounge, Beehive, Tiki, etc) I think you'll be surprised to see how many other gurls are around. Obviously there are places like Cattivo, 5801, Blue Moon, etc that cater to the GLBT crowd, but really you can feel pretty safe dressed appropriately for the venue almost anywhere in the city.
    I haven't been out in the 'burgh for several years, but if you're uncomfortable being hit on by men I wouldn't recommend a GNO at any of the specifically GLBT clubs. It's not that people are obnoxious, but there's a fair likelihood you will be approached by a male sometime during the evening for conversation, dancing and/or . . . .
    Last edited by az_azeel; 02-26-2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts..please use your edit button

no doubt there will be male attention at any and/or all of the above scene bars/clubs *but* I would say if you are looking for a night out at a venue you know up front is going to be CD/TG friendly (vs just having a fun night out) try "Tranny Thursdays" at 5801 or the monthly Sinferno/Hanging Garden event at Cattivo. You'll probably have all the help you need or want deflecting unwanted attention in the form of other supportive patrons.

I haven't been out in Pittsburgh, but I have been all over the place in Denver. I even spent an entire weekend as Michelle in San Francisco. I have also flown from Denver to Chicago / LA / Springfield MO dressed. I even drove from Denver to Dallas completely dressed for 2 days. I see much of an issue, but if you are timid then find another cd'er to go with in your area. That will help eleviate your fears.
    Michelle

I have been out and about in the "Burg" with no problems. I've been up on Mount Washington--road the incline up and down. I've shopped at Monroeville Mall, Station Square Mall, Robinson town center Mall and at stores downtown. I've also dined in a number of restaurants.

As was said above, stay upscale, and don't go anywhere where a gg would not go alone.

Jodi

Aspiring Member
    If you don't already know, Homewood-Brushton and East Liberty are places to avoid.

Just wanted to thank everyone for your insights, I really appriciate, I am excited and can't wait to head out as Jessica. I will look into all those places. Wish me luck this will be my first official time out dressed to perfection

Milwaukee is predominately a blue collar town much like Pittsburgh. Since my "coming out" I have attended museums, festivals, concerts, gone to bars, restaurants, shopping, flea markets, and numerous other events (except sporting events), with only very few negative looks or comments. I'm willing to bet that if you dress to blend in whether in Pittsburgh or most other cities, most people will hardly pay attention to you while en femme.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Like Jill, I too have been all around Milwaukee. Have even seen a number of 'girls' like us out and around. Its been a few years since I've been able to do that but I really haven't had any problems in that area. I mostly went shopping and tried to stay in the background and didn't have any bad experiences. Was out and around Philadelphia once but have never been out in Pittsburgh even though I've been there many times. (personnally I don't know if I'd ever want to be out in Pittsburgh because I always get lost there!)

Pittsburgh is no place for a lady!

Sorry, couldn't let this pass!
    Debby

Other side of the state (the Poconos), can be a bit red-neck but I've never had a problem going out dressed. Even travel out to Allentown Bethlehem and points in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica Paola View Post
    Just wanted to thank everyone for your insights, I really appriciate, I am excited and can't wait to head out as Jessica. I will look into all those places. Wish me luck this will be my first official time out dressed to perfection
    Good luck! I'm sure you will have a blast!
    With love,
    - Celes

Just a girl in the world
    I'm glad this thread came up, because I may be moving to Pittsburgh soon and I was concerned how well I'd be accepted there. Believe it or not, here in Dallas (yes, Texas!) I pretty much almost live emfemme 24/7 now and go almost anywhere and have never had a problem. I think the fact that it's such a huge diverse area helps. Moving to a small town like Pittsburgh I was concerned I might run into problems. But from the posts here it sounds like it'll be okay.
    I am curious why to avoid Homewood-Brushton and East Liberty though?