Thread: Target Shooting

Smile Target Shooting

Hi Guys, I just want to ask if any of you own firearms for target shooting, or SD. In guy mode I hit the range for a little shooting a couple times a month. I found out there are a number of cds into shooting as well. Just thought I would ask here too. Thanks for any replies.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    I do not have guns but would like to. I think I could get into shooting. Sounds like fun. I do use a blow gun for fun. In the winter I practice inside kind a like darts but instead I use the blow gun darts.

Quote Originally Posted by sally silverfox View Post
    Yep,all the time.When in femme I go by Annie Oakley and I'm damn near that good.I was a Marine in my former life-that! never goes away.
    Wow!! Good for you Sally!!! Thank you for your service to our country too.

In San Francisco they have an organiztion called " Pink Pistols " that provides traing on shooting and gun safety.

Hi.

As a thought i do target shooting Im an Archer so may be .. & im with the Southron gaard The S C A ,& yes every one dresses up dresses skirts some neat clothes & for the men & women.

...noeleena...

got to be careful here as my first posting was removed.
    but yes target shooting is a great way to remove the stress of the week. from simple hand guns up to a couple long range rifles i have, getting your breathing and hart rate down and hitting the one in circle 100 - 200 yards away with a .22 bullet, or even a .17.
    yes the pink pistols are a good place to go if one lives close to them, i have never heard any bad about them, only good.
    sadly blow guns are a crime here in Ca, some law maker thinks people might use them to do a robbery?
    and as for self defense. i do have a carry permit, and need to keep up with using it right. including knowing the law.

Here in Australia, you have to have a gun licence (which you are only permitted to have if you require carrying a firearm for your job such as security, if you are a member of a sporting shooter's association, or if you have permission to shoot animals to cull them on somebody's rural property), and you are not permitted to carry a firearm on your person (unless it is as mentioned previously, part of your job, or you are at a sporting shooter's meet, or you are out culling animals with permission - and if you are stopped by police you need to provide evidence that you have a licence and permission to carry for a specific purpose).

I used to shoot rabbits as a kid with my father's .22 rifle (and was a crack shot, I could hit a moving rabbit at 100m away without using telescopic sights). However these days I tend to avoid firearms in any capacity, I really don't like them or the violence associated with them, and personally think they are overrated.
    [SIZE="3"]Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are. ~ Unknown[/SIZE]

sorry to here you belive only voliance is involved with guns. i collect them as part of history, i have several that are over 100 years old. one aproaching 200 years.
    it is intersting to learn how the gun was made, what was going on in said country at that time, the new and differnt delovments around during that time. (more than just for the gun). i have become a history buff.
    but to carry a gun on one's body is not for killing or for voliance, but it requries a whole life style. and one learns how to avoid trouble. no i do not carry every day. there are times and places ware a gun does not belong. sadly the crooks/gangs do not belive so.
    but the world is made up of differnt people and we gain by each as the whole.

I have several for that purpose. Target shooting is an enjoyable sport. I even take my granddaughter with me. She loves it and just happens to be a very good shot.
    (As is my wife).

I too am sorry Danie that you harbor ill towards guns now. I would think with your past experience with guns, you would know that guns are simply pieces of metal (in most cases) and do not by themselves have the ability to create violence ann more than a tire iron. It's all a product of the person behind the article. If it wasn't a gun it would be a backpack bomb, poison, knife etc.
    I don't want to highjack the thread with this question to you Danie, and I am genuinly curious and do not mean any hard feelings or questioning who you feel you are etc. but... Do you think in your younger years -before you accepted or realized your true self you went out shooting and maybe you used guns subconsciously (or consciously) to fullfill the desire/need to be macho/manly (because that is the steriotypical idea of guns)? And now that your fully accepting of self, you no longer need guns, so your true feeling about them pop thru? If I'm full of sh_ _ , just say so. I'm no Dr. Laura

Interesting that everyone feels a need to be "sorry" that I dislike guns - I wonder why that is? It saddens me to see that the American slant on guns is so pervasive and that those who hold this view, don't really respect the fact that others may not do so, and it's interesting to see that everyone jumps on the bandwagon and tries to tell me why I have no reason to dislike guns. Australian culture is nowhere near as obsessed with firearms and we do not make such a big deal about guns or the ownership and use thereof, simply because we don't need to. Guns are not a necessary part of life, and if they are present, the simple fact is that violence with them IS more likely to occur. (Yes I know you can argue that if it's not a gun it will be some other weapon, but seriously, if there's a gun handy and someone wants to get violent, are they honestly going to pick up the crowbar or knife rather than the gun? I doubt it).

I don't recall any rule that a guy MUST like guns anywhere. I have seen too many people hurt and killed by them to have any love for them, and I will not apologise or be made to feel like I should be sorry for the fact that I have the stand that I do on firearms. As for your question, Stephanie, my use of guns in my younger years had nothing whatsoever to do with needing to be macho/manly, because I didn't know at that point that my gender was an issue at all, and the sole reason I used guns was because I didn't know any better. I have disliked guns since way before I ever realised I was male - and I don't need to wave a firearm around to feel like a man. Simple. I stopped shooting by the time I was about 10 years old, about the time I realised that I don't like killing things or even pretending to do so. No way in hell would I ever teach any of my children to use a gun - they are CHILDREN, guns should never be a part of their world, period.
    [SIZE="3"]Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are. ~ Unknown[/SIZE]

I find them fun, but at the same time I wish they did not exist. My understanding also is that the US is the most "gun happy" country in the world (which ironic when one considers the middle east countries). Guns do represent masculinity in many cultures....which is just sad. They are from the outset destructive weapons. My understanding was that England did just fine when the bobbies lacked guns. Now? Not so much (my mom is English and we get updates about what is happening in England from her sister, it does not sound good).

That being said, I do like target shooting. I went one time wearing my cotton black unitard, short cotton mini, boots, and hat. I faced absolutely no BS from anyone. That day I fired my first .50 desert eagle, and .44 magnum. Impressive weapons, but I did wonder what the need was for such virtual hand cannons.
    "I am not altogether on anyone's side as no one is all together on my side"
    Tree beard. Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.

Quote Originally Posted by mistunderstood View Post
    I do not have guns but would like to. I think I could get into shooting. Sounds like fun. I do use a blow gun for fun. In the winter I practice inside kind a like darts but instead I use the blow gun darts.
    same goes, never have owned any firearms or been at a shooting range much but i'd love to. i used to tag along with my dad as a kid whenever he went fishing and hunting game so it was a joyful experience for me, but i always wanted to do some shooting lol... thankfully he got me my own rod and fishing line so i could practise surf-casting with him on the beach but this does sound like something i'd love to do and fun.

i just thought i'd edit this to say that i'm kinda anti-killing of anything as well. i love animals too much to go around shooting them and i did cry when my dad shot the ducks as a kid. i never understood why the sport of it seemed so fun when the horrific ending of it wasn't. i think playing paintball would be a blast and i really would have fun target shooting, but i just dun see myself killing anything with a gun, no way. that just dun seem right to me. perhaps i'm a wuss but i see Dan here feels similar to me... we dun have a strong gun culture in our country either and hunting is something that a few farmers and individuals will try in season but it's not something every man and his dog goes out to do.
    Last edited by Areyan; 04-16-2011 at 07:05 PM.
    [SIZE="3"]~ Androgynous/FTM/Boi ~[/SIZE]

it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved as someone you're not.

Areyan's Blog

"The fool who persists in his folly will become wise" - William Blake

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    I do not believe I could kill an animal but I would shoot to kill someone if they broke in my place and they try to come up stairs were we sleep, i like to practice with my blow gun and I am pretty good. Again I would only shoot intruders or if I needed meat. Only then would I shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythos View Post
    I find them fun, but at the same time I wish they did not exist. My understanding also is that the US is the most "gun happy" country in the world (which ironic when one considers the middle east countries). Guns do represent masculinity in many cultures....which is just sad. They are from the outset destructive weapons. My understanding was that England did just fine when the bobbies lacked guns. Now? Not so much (my mom is English and we get updates about what is happening in England from her sister, it does not sound good).

That being said, I do like target shooting. I went one time wearing my cotton black unitard, short cotton mini, boots, and hat. I faced absolutely no BS from anyone. That day I fired my first .50 desert eagle, and .44 magnum. Impressive weapons, but I did wonder what the need was for such virtual hand cannons.
    rereading this thread, you ask why such big "hand cannons" it is kinda like who can mke the bigest, but on the other end of the scale there is a one off pistol, it is so small it need to be fired with a toothpick. the bullet is so small it can not pearce your skin. they made it just to prove it can be made that small.
    here is the link to see it. http://www.techpin.com/worlds-smallest-pistol/

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I'm a gun lover too!

Quote Originally Posted by DanielMacBride View Post
    Interesting that everyone feels a need to be "sorry" that I dislike guns - I wonder why that is? It saddens me to see that the American slant on guns is so pervasive and that those who hold this view, don't really respect the fact that others may not do so, and it's interesting to see that everyone jumps on the bandwagon and tries to tell me why I have no reason to dislike guns..
    I respect others points of view on that.

I have a dislike for automobiles as too many people (three times as many gun shot victims) are killed by them every year, as are wildlife (many more times than guns).
    Vehicles are inherintly dangerous and scare me..

I am an avid long range shooter though, but only paper. I don't like taking life from anything or anybody.

If I could shoot a paintball 1000 yards I would get rid of my guns and use paintball launchers.

So as you see, many of us Americans don't have obsessions with them but occasionally enjoy the sport of them.
    Scottie
    You must dare to disassociate yourself from those who would delay your journey... Leave, depart, if not physically, then mentally.
    Go your own way, quietly, undramatically, and venture toward trueness at last.

-- Vernon Howard