Thread: Visit to the ER

Visit to the ER

I had to go to the ER this morning for a 'boil' or 'abscess' or whatever you wanna call it on my cheek. Yes, I'm fine. I'm a former EMT and know that doctors are like hairdressers; most of them know more secrets than anyone. So, after my operation this morning, I said, "Since I work at <corporate restaurant> as a server, doesn't this mean that I now have a real reason to wear makeup to work?" Well, I discovered that Asheville, NC is a very open community, since I moved here 2 months ago. His response: "If it hides your scar and makes you look better, go for it."
    I love this town.
    (For those who were about to ask, yes I was wearing my underclothes)
    ...just your average 30 something trying to find the woman inside me and let her out to play for a bit ...

Ouch! To prevent any scarring, I wouldn't put anything on it other than antibiotic cream, maybe under a skin colored bandaid while you're at work. Makeup can house a treasure trove of bacteria that can infect your healing skin.
    Reine

You're probably right; however I haven't taken off the bandage yet so I don't know how big the incisions are...My mind is wondering right now...I've already worn my acrylics to work, and I think everyone knows...maybe this is a good way to transition. Ok, I can dream.
    ...just your average 30 something trying to find the woman inside me and let her out to play for a bit ...

Ami, Reine is the smartest person I know, so if she says it you can carry it to the bank. I'm no expert, but I do know makeup is full of bacteria, so get it healed before makeup is applied.

I am glad everything went well for you. I used to get those quite often as a child. We were very poor so our diet left a lot to be desired. My mother made me eat lots of raisins because she was told it was due to a lack of iron in the blood. I also had to take Geritol which tastes very nasty but it was for "tired blood" according to their commercials. They also had some stuff called SSS tonic and I swear it look like pee and was extremely nasty. It's a wonder I am alive. I have more but you wouldn't understand and today they would call it child abuse but back then it was called home remedies. They evidently worked cause I am 60 years old and the doctors all say I am in very good health. Go figure.

Jeannie

Well no foundation then, but I can't wait to take the bandage I have off later. Maybe eyeshadow would take attention off of my incisions!

Sounds like a good excuse to wear makeup to me! That is after it heels! But remember makeup looks better with lipstick, eye shadow and on and on! I would go for it!

Cynthia, I think that you and the rest of the ladies are going to get sick of hearing this, but I Love Asheville!!! I have little doubt that if Ami wanted to go to work, my bosses wouldn't mind, neither would the customers in this area. Slowly but surely.........

It's so nice that you have that kind of work atmosphere! I'm jealous! Hugs!

Silver Member
    DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ON IT EXCEPT FOR VASELINE!!!

Do not use antiseptic creams, they may lead to a reaction or cause bacteria to become immune to antibiotics. Go buy yourself a new container of Vaseline and some sterile Q-tips. Use the Q-tip to remove some of the Vaseline and spread it on the wound. Use a new Q-tip each time you remove some Vaseline and don’t stick the Q-tip back in after touching it to your face.
    Do not use makeup until it is fully healed. I have had two face surgeries to remove cancer from one of the best plastic surgeons in the country. This is what he told me. I also had another surgery and it is exactly what that doctor told me also. I’m fine and the surgeries were successful. Really wasn’t as bad as it sounds, and no visible scars. I asked him to make me pretty, but he said he doesn’t do miracles.

Silver Member
    To give some perspective on this, we don't recommend people wear makeup for a few days after electrolysis treatments due to risk of infection. With a large open infection on the face, the risk is far worse. Keep the makeup off of it until it clears (and be sure to follow your doctor's recommendation for care.)

I'm so glad I posted this. Thank you ladies for all of the advice so far. The fun part is going back to work tonight (sans makeup) but I have to shave first. So if you hear a loud scream from North Carolina, it's just me getting ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Ami View Post
    I had to go to the ER this morning for a 'boil' or 'abscess' or whatever you wanna call it on my cheek. Yes, I'm fine. I'm a former EMT and know that doctors are like hairdressers; most of them know more secrets than anyone. So, after my operation this morning, I said, "Since I work at <corporate restaurant> as a server, doesn't this mean that I now have a real reason to wear makeup to work?" Well, I discovered that Asheville, NC is a very open community, since I moved here 2 months ago. His response: "If it hides your scar and makes you look better, go for it."
    I love this town.
    (For those who were about to ask, yes I was wearing my underclothes)
    As Mom wold say, are they clean and are there any holes in them?
    joank
    Southern California

Oh, I made sure they were clean... (I'm assuming you're talking about my underclothes!)