Thread: No I'm jut a hitchhiker

No I'm jut a hitchhiker

This is so outdated and wild,from the 70's when I was a teen.Hitchhiking was still possible then and I was on a highway ramp trying to hitch to my girlfriends house(about 35 miles away).I had bunches of patience and was ready for the wait..oh how cool,someone stopped right away.I ran up to the car..I immediately noticed this dead hair lurking behind the drivers seat. Norman Bates........naaah.
    h
    I wondered...omg,is this one of those rides to remember.She says "Looking for a ride"?I said yea...then I noticed it was a guy doing a very poor job of cding.....he kinda looked like hulk hogan with a shitty wig..lol,had the vocals too.well as soon as I shut the door he started in on me sexually..the dood was totally druging and making lewd remarks..he hit the gas to like 80 miles an hour on the same ramp....I forced him to stop the car,which he did....he lock up his brakes at 80 mph.................I bailed and he tried to throw a beer bottle at me,grazed off my head and drenched me in beer.Thank god,I've gotten away from this maniac........no, 5 minutes later he comes back to the ramp,this time cranking about 70 mph and heading right towards me,i dived..he was going to run me down.

As he passed he spat out the window in a
    cheap effort to hit me.

Ever think about instances in life when you should have known better?Or how would you have reacted differently?
    Last edited by Celeste; 04-15-2011 at 02:14 AM.

I try not to think about it so much

Hitchhiking is perhaps not always the safest way to get to some place, but you cannot expect some lunatic dressed like that to turn on you like that.

I've been in my share of weird and dangerous situations (and I'm only 23 years old, so I can expect a whole lot more of that :P)
    But I don't linger about it to much, I just remember it, and laugh about it later when I'm telling the exaggerated version in the pub

And this sounds like an awesome story to tell during parties
    Or does it still bother you much?
    For all your Kirby needs <(^.^)>

Aspiring Member
    Throughout my teens and early twenties hitch hiking was my only mode of transportation, and I got a lot of really strange rides but no psychos’. There was one guy who picked me up who hit on me the whole entire ride, but he was not dangerous or lewd he was just Horney. Unfortunately for him that was not the road I was on and as we parted ways he told me where he could be found. Sounds like you got lucky.

Hitching seemed more safe in the 70's but I guess things haven't changed that much! That sounds like a hard lesson to learn! The nice thing is you learned it and lived to tell about it!

I hitched a ride for the first time when I was only 13 years old. This was back in the 70's. I was SO nervous and was half convinced I was going to be abducted, but ended up having a great conversation with the guy who'd picked me up.

This started a long period of hitching rides (out here in the country it is hard to get around when you are too young to drive!) that continued on well into my adult years when I was without a car for any reason.

To this day I'll pick up hitchhikers when I can, but only during daylight and only after giving them a really good looking over first. I've met some great people who had their thumbs out, from locals just trying to get home from work, to people on epic cross-country trips. It is a great way to connect with strangers and I'm a bit sad that it has gotten such a bad reputation.

I think hitching is one of those 'stranger danger' things that everybody 'knows' is dangerous, but is really not much of a risk... unless you are a young woman who is more likely to be assaulted.
    Last edited by Cristi; 04-15-2011 at 10:15 AM.
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

Back in the early '70's, I used to occasionally pick up hitchhikers, never had any problems until one day I picked a couple other young guys, and once they were in the car, they began telling me how many states they were wanted in. I don't know if they were BS'ing or telling the truth, but it stopped me from picking up hitchhikers after that. I definitely got scary vibes from those two.

And soon after that, a young local guy I was acquainted with from high school was murdered by a hitchhiker he picked up. Interestingly, his father was a CD who I got to know many years after that.

Carol
    My name is Carol.

I used to hitch regularly in the 70's, met loads of people, only bad one was one guy, business type, big flashy car, and kept putting his hand over to feel my groin. I was glad to get out of that car. Had my share of a-holes, who claimed to be ex rally drivers as well, and who loved to go around at the speed of light. It is not something I see a lot in the UK now, and to be honest, I would be a bit wary of picking anybody up, last one was about 5 years ago.
    "She snuck up on me from behind. You'd think women would make more noise with those big high heels, but they don't, they've got this stealth thing going..."