Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Crossdress? An Alternate Theory

Why Crossdress? An Alternate Theory

I was combing the Internet trying to understand my own issues and I stumbled upon a possibly new explanation for at least some sexual identity issues. This theory explains the drive to cross dress in at least some people as the result of a fairly simple but typically hidden deficit in the way we recognize people. To me it seems very plausible and compelling, with possibly wide application. I'm not sure, but it seems that the community might not be aware of this idea yet, so I want to share it with you.

There is a condition called "Face Blindness" (or Prosopagnosia), where people cannot easily recognize human faces. It appears that normal people have a fast, automatic and unconscious brain mechanism that matches people with their facial image. When we see someone we've met before, most of us remember all sorts of information about them in less than a second just by looking at their face. But those with face blindness don't seem to have this automatic mechanism and rely on other means to recognize people. They consciously see the exact same facial features we all see, but human faces are too similar for that to help much without the automatic matching system evolved for face recognition. They typically take much longer to identify people, seven seconds or more, and they usually can identify only a few close acquaintances well.

Like anything else, people vary and people can suffer from face blindness to varying degrees. Personally, I have trouble recognizing even my wife or kids in a crowd. My wife often has to raise her hand when I'm looking in her direction or I'll walk past her.

Keep in mind that people with face blindness almost never know they have a neurological disability. They just know they sometimes have trouble remembering people and doesn't everyone? It's like color blindness - you cannot know about colors you've never seen.

Why this condition may be related to cross dressing behavior is subtle but very interesting. So bear with me while I explain.

When we cannot automatically recognize faces, we learn to use other methods to identify people. There are two alternative methods that can work pretty well, but only for recognizing some people. Most people with face blindness use one or both to some extent, though usually without knowing it.

One fairly good way to recognize some people is by looking at their hair, especially when they have long hair. Hair styles tend to vary much more than facial features, at least on a level we can consciously see. Plus we probably evolved from hominids with long hair, so it is possible that we have left over automatic "hair recognition" mental circuits that may work even if the facial recognition circuits do not. Somehow this method only works well for recognizing people who wear their hair long, which in many societies means women who do not pull their hair back.

The other good alternative recognition method involves sexual attraction. In addition to subconscious automatic facial recognition, we seem to have a separate subconscious automatic brain mechanism to identify people who are our sexual type, potential mates. When we are attracted to someone, something lights up in our brain in under a second, just as fast as normal people recognize faces. And when that "sexually attractive" light goes on, we can often recognize the person very quickly even without their facial image. But this method works only for people who are our "type", those who we see as potential sexual partners. If you are a heterosexual man, than means women. And not just any woman, but one who is your "type". Say long haired Caucasian women with bangs in my case (that being a reasonable description of my mother for you Freudians, by the way).

Here is where it gets tricky. It seems we all have an innate need to "see" ourselves. It's well known that "self identity" is important for psychological well being. To function socially, we need to understand where we fit in society. And to do that, we need a mental image of ourselves. It seems that somehow this mental self image requires the same circuits our brains use to remember and recognize other people. That makes some sense - why build a whole new self image mechanism when we already have image machinery for keeping track of other people?

But if you are face blind and heterosexual, you will have trouble "seeing" yourself. You are one of those people that you cannot easily recognize on an automatic subconscious level. That is, you would have trouble recognizing yourself unless you have long hair and/or look like an attractive member of the opposite sex, which means looking like a woman if you are male. So the theory is that some cross dressers and transgenderists may have some degree of face blindness and they have self identity problems unless they can see themselves as women.

There is reported evidence that more than 50% of people with face blindness have an ambiguous sexual identity, either being homosexual or adopting some sort of transgender like appearance, such cross dressing. I think that statistic makes this theory fairly plausible. It seems that most often people with face blindness set their sexual attraction "type" to include themselves and so are gay. But a minority somehow remain heterosexual and when they do, they usually have a strong drive to look like an attractive person of the opposite sex. I believe that face blindness, like other neurological conditions such as ADD and autism, may occur much more often in men, which may explain why cross dressing is primarily a male behavior.

A weakness of this theory is that face blindness is apparently pretty rare and cross dressing is apparently not so rare. Possibly it explains only a minority of cross dressers and other mechanisms come into play for the rest. However, we've only known about face blindness for less than twenty years and it is still not widely understood or diagnosed. So it may be more prevalent than we think. As I mentioned, it can be very difficult to recognize facial blindness in ourselves, especially when it is not a widely known condition, so most people with even severe face blindness are unaware of their deficit and difficult to find or count.

Plus people have a wide range of facial recognition abilities and it seems plausible that those with only a minor deficit, who can recognize people well enough most of the time, might still have self identity problems if they cannot "see" themselves quite as well as they would unconsciously like, given how vital self identity seems to be for our well being. So possibly some cross dressers and transgenderists, while not "face blind" are at least somewhat "near sighted" when it comes to recognizing themselves cloaked in their original sex.

Finally, some with completely normal face recognition ability might still seek the extra self identity recognition that comes from appearing as the opposite sex. They can recognize themselves as men, but as a woman the extra sexual attraction brain recognition would fire in addition to their facial recognition circuits, providing some kind of improved self image, a sort of double recognition that might work better for them than normal self recognition.

If the "brain sex" theory for transsexuality is correct, then self identity problems caused by face blindness would not enter the equation for most true transsexuals. But because transsexuality has come to be the dominant, accepted and popular explanation for extreme gender identity issues, and because there seem to be few good medical explanations for gender issues other than brain sex mismatch, I'd guess there may be many with a strong drive to present as the opposite sex who follow the transsexual crowd. Maybe self identity issues related to face blindness could provide the beginnings of a scientifically and medically acceptable explanation for serious transgender conditions without SRS.

This theory is not my own and is mostly derived from work on face blindness done by Bill Choisser, which you can read about at http://www.choisser.com/faceblind/ At that link is a free online book titled "Face Bind!" with lots of information on the condition. The parts on sexual "type" and its effects are buried in the middle of the book. Choisser himself is face blind, but his life followed what he calls the easier path, because he is gay (with long hair, by the way). He is probably correct that in our society it is often easier to be homosexual than to be obsessed with cross dressing, not that any of us makes a conscious choice.

In summary, this alternative theory explains cross dressing and transgender behavior in some people as the result of face blindness, because non-gay face blind people can often recognize attractive members of the opposite sex, especially with long hair, much better than they can recognize most people. This disability can mean it is easier for them to recognize themselves when they appear as attractive members of the opposite sex, leading to self identity issues that are relieved by cross dressing or becoming transgendered.

This is an interesting, if confusing post.

I am unsure about the whole long hair thing, reason being is that men used to wear their hair long predominately.

I was also thrown off by the subject needing to see the female form of himself.

Need more explanation I am afraid.
    "I am not altogether on anyone's side as no one is all together on my side"
    Tree beard. Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.

I find your hypothesis very interesting because I am rather face-blind, requiring quite a bit of contact before I can reliably recognize others by their faces and relying heavily on other cues (hair, voice, body shape, etc.) to recognize others.

I don't think that your hypothesis works well for my situation, however, since my CDing growth was from underwear through clothing and finally to hair and makeup. This is a single data point, however, and should not be interpreted as attacking your hypothesis.

It would be interesting to study the correlation in women between face-blindness and the adoption of "boyish" short hairstyles. It may well be that women don't have to crossdress to achieve self-recognition in this way.

A very thought-provoking first post, Stacey! Welcome to the forum.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

NO.
    It seems you came here trying to cure something. And I will not address your rant, totally obscrure....
    Just wear the pantyhose.
    [SIZE="3"]Amy[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Amy07 View Post
    NO.
    It seems you came here trying to cure something. And I will not address your rant, totally obscrure....
    I'm not trying to cure anything, just understand things better. That's sometimes what intelligent species do. And I can't see how it was a rant unless anything long is automatically a rant and if so, I'm so sorry.

Hmmmm. This theory might apply to some of us. However, at least for me, I'm more interested in a subjective, inside looking out experience than even looking at myself sort of viewpoint. Yes, it'd be really gratifying if I were beautiful, but the feel of clothing, high heels, lipstick, earrings, etc. seems to float my boat rather than my "female" form or appearance. Yes, appearance counts, but only in a secondary role.

I'll be interested to hear what others of us have to say on this.

ChanDelle

PS And looking like my mother is never a consideration to my mind.

"A glass of wine anytime" rachaelsloane's Avatar
    Stacy,
    IMO, all of us would like to better understand the why, but as I have gotten older, it really is not important, therefore, my new attitude is, love and enjoy who I am for in the end, no one really will know why.
    Rachael

Quote Originally Posted by Amy07 View Post
    It seems you came here trying to cure something.
    I don't read it that way. It's certainly possible to want to understand something without wanting to change it.

I agree with Rachel. CDing, like face-blindness, is part of who I am.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I thought your post was quite interesting, and I directed Eryn over to it, knowing her tendency towards face-blindness. I totally got that you were presenting this as an interesting theory that might apply to a tiny percentage of CDers. I realize that many people aren't interested in the "why", but for those more scientific-minded of us, it was an enjoyable and educational read.

I am not too bad at recognizing faces, in the sense that I always know I have seen someone before, but I am absolutely terrible at connecting them to names. As a classroom teacher, this makes it very difficult for me each semester when I have 30 or so new students, and the same number returning from last year, who I should all know by name. Most of them I really never "get" during the five years they are in our school. I think it is a genuine learning disability. For some reason, this does not really extend to work colleagues or personal friends, whom I get to know as quickly as anyone else.

It certainly never occurred to me that this might be related to my gender issues, however. They seem like pretty unrelated facets of my personality. I have to admit I don't quite understand the hypothesis as it is described in Stacey's original message.

- Diane

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I crossdress because I like to!! There is nothing inside me pushing me to do so, I just do it because I like the fit, feel, and look of feminine clothing! I am definitely not face blind because I am very good at recognizing faces, I just can't remember the names that go with them!! In that regard I am very much like Diane, and also like her I don't quite understand Stacey's hypothesis!

But then, as I have said before, I am ME and that is all that counts!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

We're attracted to people who share our features ...

Here's a quote from an attractiveness study:

In term of physical attraction based on faces, among a database of faces of
    people of a chosen gender, people find more attractive faces selected by algorithms
    which use their own face as a reference than pictures selected by algorithms
    because of their intrinsic beauty.
    In other words, we think people with similar faces to ours are attractive.
    If we're straight, that means that we tend to be strongly attracted to our feminized faces.

So regardless of other factors (brain sex, life experiences, etc) which got us started in the TV/TG/TS spectrum, seeing the female version of ourselves is it's own reward.

I found your post really interesting. I will have to reread it a few times to let my mind digest it a bit more. What I do know is that I facial recognition is a weakness I have. I have a difficult time with people I have known for years but I have not seen for a year. I even have difficulties with people I work with on a daily basis when I see then outside of work if they are not wearing clothes I am used to seeing them wear. In addition, I also know that I do focus on peoples hair a lot. So for me in particular, this might be somewhat applicable.

What I also know is that regardless of what influences shaped me, I am glad I am finally coming to grips with who I really am. How I got here is interesting, but where I am going is fascinating. I look forward to hearing about more of your research and doing some more on my own.

Danielle
    I'M FREE, I'M FREE! I GET TO BE ME!

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Hmmmm... I have a harder time than average at placing faces and recalling names, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that my recognition of faces (as having seen them before) is worse than average (but not better than average either.) My grandmother on the other hand was extraordinary at recognizing and placing faces; somewhere around 2005, she recognized (correctly) the woman who my grandfather used to go out with before her -- somewhere around 1936!

The face => name recognition part of my brain doesn't get a lot of use. I don't work with people much: I work with computers extensively. My skills at recognizing patterns with computers are quite high -- but that does not use quite the same part of the brain. Remembering names of people isn't something I've had a need to develop. I don't have a particular problem remembering the names of people I interact with, but it is true that I would be hard pressed to name many of my co-workers that I have worked with for 2 to 20 years.

I have associated my relatively poor remembering of people's names with my pretty low episodic memory and my pretty low time sequencing of memories. If you asked me what I had for supper a week ago, I would have to struggle to remember and would quite possibly fail; which cities I visited two vacations ago and what I did there would be pretty much a total wash-out. My brain is structured to remember information (and patterns), and pretty promptly discards markers about when I learned things or under what circumstances.

I have at least two friends who have indicated to me they are increasingly having trouble remembering timing; one of them is pretty sharp at remembering faces and names, but he forgets to call me for a year or so at a time because anything past "a few weeks ago" loses the timing for him; he knows he talked to me, but he doesn't have a feeling for how long ago. The other one has indicated that he is having increasing trouble remembering names of people he should know.

Anyhow, I'm not convinced at the moment that some degree of "face-blindness" is anything more than a coincidence. My personal experience is that there is a much higher correlation to be found between transgender enough to want hormones, vs naturally "high cholesterol".

Eh, I never forget a face or a name, unless its not an important one in which case I will.

I was buying a card for Mother's day last year and a woman at a register checked me out and asked if I remembered her from high school. Class of 96, she said. That was my year. Still didn't remember her, so I played nice for those few seconds and went along my way. My retention of names and faces seems to have a ton to do with relevance or history. I more often forget names than faces, though, in which I play it off as best I can and look for hints of a name they're not looking.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nia Hush View Post
    a woman at a register checked me out and asked if I remembered her from high school. Class of 96, she said. That was my year. Still didn't remember her,
    I have looked at lists of people I supposedly graduated with (1979); some of the names I recognize; some of them sound plausible (e.g., I might recognize the unusual family name and think "Ah, maybe that was the brother/sister of the person I knew") -- but some of them I anti-recognize, meaning that I have a definite sense that I did not go to school with anyone by that name. Some day I need to get ahold of the yearbook and see...

I posted some of my grade-school class photos on FB, and some people who I am sure I went to school with have tagged some of the faces I know I've seen before with names that as far as I can remember I've never heard before in my life. Now that's disheartening, to have someone you trust match a face you know to a name and there you are feeling sure you've never heard the name before. Sure, some kids had nick-names, but not that many!

Stacey, that is a really interesting idea. I'm sure I don't have face-blindness, but what you said is very logical, assuming the research is correct. What an interesting idea.

I have a terrible time remembering names. I remember dogs and cats just fine (which may explain why I don't dress as a dog or cat). I really don't have a very good short term memory anyway. Did I mention I don't remember names?
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Nope. Not for me. Once I see a face I never forget it. I have trouble remembering names though.
    Chickie

I found the post very interesting ... I am face-blind.

I'm not sure I agree with the theory, but it is very interesting. For what it's worth, I am definitely one of those face blind people, and also can't remember names for anything.

Hi, Stacey,
    & welcome .

As a point with this if one has a photographic memory one can see whats needed to accese the person you know . now then you would no dought have a problem with this , i spent 23 days over in Phuket , Thailand & as you know they would appear to all look the same , would that be close .

i can bring up in my mind the peoples faces even sitting here as im doing now, in one night i met over 50 people tho i met over 100 , most i can remember with outa prob . others i would reconise if i go back over. tho some times , its the long term memory that has those pics & your trying to use the short term memory , & even i fail with that till i load in what i need to find that pic so the mind does not forget it just shuts out the info. so far away in your mind it takes a while to bring it up , damm computers ,, oh thats my mind..
    interesting what youv said . & the mind can play tricks.. thanks for that,

...noeleena...

Banned Spammer

Transpeople Are Not Invisible to Themselves

My medical expert, P.T. Barnum, supports this theory. Every time he closes his eyes, he thinks he is the Queen of England.

It's true that sometimes our imaginations interfere with our (visual and other) experiences. However, transgender identification is not imaginary. It's biological and empirical. It's based on a wide range of personal characteristics and experiences that are much more substantial and complex than what meets the eye.
    Last edited by Pink Person; 04-19-2011 at 06:28 AM.

Platinum Member
    I have to say, this is certainly not the most parsimonious explanation for cross dressing.

Yes, that could be true or both CD and face rec.share a common wiring. In my case I was a real GG on a farm in the mid 1800, I think. The best dress that I had was made of linsywoolsey, very itchey. My shoes weren't any nicer. Today there such an incredible variety of fabrics, colors, makeup, and real stockings. Unfortunately I am male this time, 6' 200 lb and a disapproving wife. Maybe next time.