Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it legal

Is it legal

My last post was deleted because there are alot of threads on the subject. What i would like to know is "Is it legal to used the Ladies restroom when dressed?". Specifically in California.

Laws change from state to state, county to county, and from town to town. You will have to check the laws of the town you are in or going to be in. Beware because all towns have unenforced laws still on the books.

Thanks

Do you know how to check the law?

Semi Sane innocent angel
    Short answer is yes it's legal to use the womans bathroom.
    Business is the the art of extracting money from another mans wallet with out resorting to violence

9 out of 10 Dr say I'm sane. The 10th one never made it to the hearing. Did you know that California has drop bears ?

First a groom then a bride. Never again.

Quote Originally Posted by susand262 View Post
    Thanks

consult a lawyer on the town/county/state( or province)/country you happen to be in

Quote Originally Posted by susand262 View Post
    Thanks

I'm afraid that I don't really know. Are you familar with TS Roadmap? They may have a link to information on laws.

You may find this document helpful:

http://transgenderlawcenter.org/pdf/...ce%20Guide.pdf

Susan, can't speak for california...but all i can say is that......the only reason i stay in nj...is ....... i can go to the ladies room as niki
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hugs, msniki48
    Blog
    http://nikishomeawayfromhome.spaces....x?sa=764853634

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msniki48 View Post
    Susan, can't speak for california...but all i can say is that......the only reason i stay in nj...is ....... i can go to the ladies room as niki
    The only reason? There is a whole world of bathrooms out here to test out! Seriously though, I don't think there are that many places where it is illegal to use a bathroom that is aligned with your presentation. But you can get hassled anywhere as that doesn't require a law.

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    You may find this document helpful:

http://transgenderlawcenter.org/pdf/...ce%20Guide.pdf
    Thank you Eryn, that is the link I was trying to think of.

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    I know it's not legal in Texas, Dallas and Houston have separate ordinances allowing it but overall, no.

Of course because of that I have actually used the ladies room several times in the state capitol building.
    Just my way of protesting.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

Fascinating link and document. Stacey, do you know about Austin?

Quote Originally Posted by abbykins View Post
    Fascinating link and document. Stacey, do you know about Austin?
    Since the capitol is in Austin and Stacey mentioned that she was protesting by using the restroom in the state capitol I'd think that it isn't legal there.

Good for you, Stacey!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Related to this subject, I have noticed that here in British Columbia, Canada that the highways department has begun adding a third washroom at highway rest stops. They are open, multiple occupancy washrooms with no lock on the door that are labeled: Men, women & disabled. I travel a lot on the highways for work, and every time I see one of these new washrooms I stop and use it just out of principle. I keep hoping a bus full of men and women will pull in to the rest stop so I can see if both men and women will use the same washroom at the same time... Preferably while I'm still in there!

Allana

hiya susan,

Here are a couple good links to file in Travel & Maps “favorites” links

Search engine for gender-neutral bathrooms.
    http://safe2pee.org/new/

Government policy (Dept of Labor, etc) on Which bathroom to use
    http://www.hrc.org/issues/transgender/9618.htm

This is one of the best resources for TG human rights issues
    http://www.hrc.org

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by StaceyJane View Post
    I know it's not legal in Texas, Dallas and Houston have separate ordinances allowing it but overall, no.

Of course because of that I have actually used the ladies room several times in the state capitol building.
    Just my way of protesting.
    Does Texas really count! it's sorta like California but on the opposite end of the liberal-conservative spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Allana W View Post
    Related to this subject, I have noticed that here in British Columbia, Canada that the highways department has begun adding a third washroom at highway rest stops. They are open, multiple occupancy washrooms with no lock on the door that are labeled: Men, women & disabled. I travel a lot on the highways for work, and every time I see one of these new washrooms I stop and use it just out of principle. I keep hoping a bus full of men and women will pull in to the rest stop so I can see if both men and women will use the same washroom at the same time... Preferably while I'm still in there!

Allana
    God I hate unisex bathrooms, how disgusting!
    Last edited by Sandra; 04-18-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: merged consecutive post please use either multiquote or edit function

There was a movie a while back where one of the main characters said "It is always legal until you get caught".

I remember actually reading laws stating that it was illegal to use a restroom designated for the opposite sex. That was years ago and in an eastern state. The laws may or may not have been changed since then.

I know some females feel perfectly comfortable using the men's restroom if the women's restroom is occupied or the line is too long, but they frown on men using the women's restroom. That's pretty much a double standard.

If you are a male, dressed as a female, and out in public and need to use a restroom, you are often in "no man's land". Finding a unisex or "family" restroom is the best option. Otherwise, even if it's legal, someone may raise a stink. Consider a woman running out of the ladies restroom screaming at the top of her lungs "There's a man in the ladies room. Call the police!"
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Thanks Eryn

That was very helpfull. This was my first experince in having to use the women's room. I didn't want to break the law and I didn't want to upset anyone. The women i encountered just smiled, I know this may not always be the case so I wanted to know the best way to act so not to cause any problems.

My understanding of the California laws is that it is legal to use the restroom of the gender that you are presenting. I use the Woman's restroom wherever I go with no problems so far. That is not to say that one day I may not be so lucky. A personal TG friend of mine had an incident here in the San Francisco area where a woman complained to her husband/SO that a man dressed as a woman was in the woman's restroom and that caused some unfortunate problems at the moment. The police later told my friend not to worry about it because she had a right to be there.

Where I live, county law prohibits discrimination based on gender identity but there are a few exceptions, one of which is bathrooms. You're required to have a driver's license or state ID card that shows you as being of the gender for the bathroom that you're in, so it's not of any help when it comes to bathrooms for those of us who can't get our licenses or ID's changed to match our gender identity. In Cook County, Illinois, if your drivers license or ID card says male, you're required by law to use the men's bathroom regardless of how female you look.

Carol
    Last edited by Julogden; 04-18-2011 at 05:11 PM.
    My name is Carol.

I can't tell you how many times a women has come in to use the men's room when the line was too long in front of the ladies room. It will be nice some day when no one will care what you wear or what bathroom you use.

It is Legal, where local ordinances have been passed. You will have to check with your local jurisdiction. If it's illegal, it's usually not enforced UNTIL someone complains! Lets face it, it's not worth A Prosecutor's Trouble, not worth A Cop's Attention unless there is some "political" reason to start a ruckus. If your local D.A., or Sheriff is near election time, if he or she is dependent on "The Church Vote," then you might be looking at trouble. You might become A "Special Case," and receive Special Attention.

Simple Rules to apply that would normally avoid a confrontation. 1.) Get in there, take care of business and GET OUT! 2.) Don't be looking around for ANY Reason, don't start conversations. 3.)If possible, wait until The John is unoccupied. 4.) If confronted, LEAVE and do not start A Ruckus demanding Your Rights. Even if your correct, you still might get tossed in The Can, and have to bail out. After The Incident is soon enough to consult an attorney, not when your sitting in Jail.

OK, now we've scared you to death! Personally, I've been in hundreds of Public Bathrooms with lots of GG's. I haven't had A Problem. But, Past Experience is no predictor of future behaviors. Be smart, be vigilant, be happy!

peace and Love, Joanie

Thanks everyone for the information and advice. This was my first time to use the ladies's room (3rd time out in public). I felt bad for the women that came in, I didn't want to scare them and I said sorry. They just smiled and left. I know in the future it may not be as easy, I just don't want them to feel threatened. I wonder what my wife and daughter would feel like if a man dressed came into the bayhroom while they were thier.

Most localities don't have specific laws. In those places they CAN use disturbing the peace statutes. I personally have never had a problem using the ladies room. In my mind it is far superior to the alternatives.
    Sally