Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What jobs are available for Crossdressers?

What jobs are available for Crossdressers?

As I go to bed tonight, I know in my heart that I can never go back to living in the closet. Now that I have taken these first steps, I know I want more. Although too early to make a final decision, I believe when I leave the military in 4 years (retiring) that I want to dress full time. I have heard bits and pieces from some of the girls here on the forum about jobs they have and being able to dress full time. From those that are able to dress full time, what sort of jobs do you have? Are there jobs or businesses or communities that are more CD friendly than others?

I will still have a family to support and alimony to pay so my retired pay will not be enough. I hope to find a job where I can finally be myself. Between my experiences and my education (Bachelors and Masters degrees) I should be very employable but I would like it to be on my terms for once. I would love to hear from people who are able to live their lives as they choose and are still able to support themselves and their families. Thanks.
    I'M FREE, I'M FREE! I GET TO BE ME!

That is a great question. I would love to know the answer. Now you've got me thinking.....hmmmmm.

If given the opportunity, I would love to dress full-time. Just not really an option for me at this point in my life.

Oh, well.... I will keep my eye out for you though. And if I see something that might work, I will be sure to let you know.

Terri

Hi Danni,

Why not consider owning your own venture with your knowledge and expertise. Possibly marketing via the internet since it will be a supplemental income. I am sure you can compete in a market place as well as anyone else. Maybe something to support the crossdressing and transgender community. Just a thought to pass on to you.

Michelle

Well Danni, I hear your plight. In my male mode, I'm on the unemployment line looking for work. I'm a vet and trying to use vet pref doesn't get me anywhere (no teeth in that law). I even had a security clearance for the entire time in the service. Still no help. I also have a Bachelors and a Masters and am working on another Masters. Still no job offers. Although, there are jobs, they seem to be going to younger and lesser experienced candidates... Not sure what it takes any more...

Enjoy the time getting 'short' to the ETS date.

Renne.....

theres lots of jobs
    I work as a engineer need the money i work as a woman,cant were dress or skirts when working,but do ware womans clothing,trouble is new clients often say shes a bit of a tomboy,but thats life

Silver Member
    Hard to answer your question with so little information.

Do you want to transition? Your OP asked about jobs available for crossdressers. And of course ANY job is available to crossdressers. Crossdressing should not interfear with your job. Unless you desire to present as a woman at all times. Then you may have a bit of a problem.

In general, jobs in the medical profession are among the most liberal and accepting. But if you want to remain as a "man in a dress, you are going to have an issue getting most jobs. Have you thought about starting your own business? The boss would probably be tolerant of your choice of clothes in that case.

Stephie

I think what every you want to do go do it. if you are going somewere new and turn up as a women then who would know
    your not a women ? as from your photo you good to me. just go and do it .

Untitled
    To put it in simple terms, any job is available to anyone, unless there is specific legislation that bars a particular group. You will find many females working alongside males in many walks of life.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

If you are an A-10 pilot, maybe crop dusting would suit your situation.
    Nuclear engineer-you are not alone--and I hear the Japanese need help.
    Self-employment has some real advantages. I enjoyed self-employment. Your own boss. Sink or swim on your own. Can be lonely, at times. Read a couple books about starting your own business. No big corporation can match the ease of communication, quality and attention to detail of a small, owner-operated business. You run all the departments, sales, marketing, production, accounting, finance--you do them all.

I'd like to be a waitress just once
    With love,
    - Celes

If you want to get-r-done, get a women to do it! That being said, any type of work that you are capable of doing!

Quote Originally Posted by Danni Renee View Post
    Although too early to make a final decision, I believe when I leave the military in 4 years (retiring) that I want to dress full time.

Are there jobs or businesses or communities that are more CD friendly than others?
    Maybe it's just me, but I think most people are unsure what to make of ambiguous gender. Most people deal better with the either/or male/female scenario.

Since you want to be full time, you might want to consider transitioning? This doesn't mean you have to have SRS, but you could get on HRT and undergo electrolysis, which will make it easier for you to look less like a male in women's clothing?
    Reine

Danni, I'm not sure what your military experience is but I'm assuming it's something that is not TG friendly either as a service person or a civilian. Here are a few suggestions that might correspond with your degrees. If you're looking for a management position try public service such as a utility, city or state entity, public relations firm etc. If you'd rather be self employed perhaps you could consider selling insurance out of your home. Many agents do that and you can dress any way you choose. Another option for self employment is freelance real estate. Hope this helps somewhat, good luck in your job search.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Danni ... I need to rephrase my prior post and offer you an apology.

I didn't mean that you look like a guy in a dress. You are beautiful in your avatar. It's just that in real life, most CDs who aren't on hormones can't get away with having others believe they are female, not when they deal with people up close and directly. The voice is the biggest giveaway, but so is facial hair, skin thickness, the male body shape, etc.

Again, sorry for having my prior post come out wrong.
    Reine

ReineD - Thank you for the apology but it is not needed. You got right to the heart of the matter for me and that is what I need. I DO want to transition within limits (no SRS). My SO is fully supportive. I already plan to undergo electolysis when I get back to the states. My concern with going all the way is that I will not be able to support my family. I thought if I could get some ideas for friendlier professions that I may not be put in a position to have to chose between being myself and taking care of my family. I see from RenneB that the market place is still not the greatest just yet and I am sure a transitioning individual like myself would have difficulties too, regardless of education and qualification.

I figured something internet based or self employeed would be the most likely options but I was curious if there might be other options I had not considered. I had not thought about real estate but I think that might be a possibility too. Thanks to you all for your posts and ideas.
    I'M FREE, I'M FREE! I GET TO BE ME!

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferR771 View Post
    If you are an A-10 pilot, maybe crop dusting would suit your situation.
    Nuclear engineer-you are not alone--and I hear the Japanese need help.
    Self-employment has some real advantages. I enjoyed self-employment. Your own boss. Sink or swim on your own. Can be lonely, at times. Read a couple books about starting your own business. No big corporation can match the ease of communication, quality and attention to detail of a small, owner-operated business. You run all the departments, sales, marketing, production, accounting, finance--you do them all.
    I've been pretty much self employed since the 80's and the one big disadvantage is the clientele. My city is a snake pit of old school rednecks and religious bigots, so I always have to be extra careful around them.

Actually, I should have mentioned that a local cd who transitioned and had surgery (she was an engineer), ended up training as a registered nurse BSN. Graduated at the top of her class. Jobs plentiful. So if you are science-oriented like her and like me--the health professions might suit your situation. Med technology. X-ray tech, pharmacy tech, sonographer, (and for self-employment: doctor, dentist, veternarian, pharmacist, visiting nurse, private nurse). Just suggestions, you need training of course.

Well,,,, I'm an Avon Lady.....

This is discussed alot in the TS forum as well.. a business could not care less about your (or my) gender issues.
    It's a problem for businesses. bathrooms, clients, customers, fear of lawsuits in the future...not giving us a job is usually a business' best answer.
    The idea you have of how you want to live is great for you as a person, but it's bad for you in any type of job situation.. it's not fair, it just is..

outside of minimum/low wage stuff,
    working for yourself somehow is the best option, the next option is to find a sympathetic friend(s) that can vouch for you...otherwise you'll never make it past the first interview..it sucks..
    btw nursing is also an interesting idea, but it's not always as friendly as you may think, and if you don't pass, it will only take a couple of patients families freaking out to get the trouble started
    you might also research through HRC what companies have the best policies..if you are into computers Microsoft has a well known ts manager that was on tv (Megan Wallent)..
    i left a corporate career..i have tested the waters, but there is no interest even though i have a great resume
    now i'm looking around trying to figure out how to start a business...avon lady, mlm, franchise etc...

*Kisses and Best Wishes* Wendy_Marie's Avatar
    I have a friend who works in the H.R. Department of a local hospital...She says that these facilities are Trans friendly as they have to meet and maintain federal guidelines....? I have worked in the medical field myself delivering DME and we were constantly being visited by corporate trainers and compliance personel for sensitivity training, sexual harrassment awareness etc...so it stands to reason that any JCAHO Hospital should be EOE and thus comply with policies and laws that are anti-discriminatory in nature.
    [SIZE="3"]"I can't talk girl talk when there is a guy inside my head." Gracie Lou Freebush[/SIZE]
    Is this all that's left of my life before me. Straight Jacket Memories and Seditive Highs! No Happy Ending like they always Promised...There's got to be something left for me... And I Turn my Head and Stare into the Eyes of a Stranger.
    To those of you who consider yourselves to be "Cat People" I apologize in advance for I am not.

At least one person on the forum is making living as a cosmetologist! It would also seem that the electrologist profession would be a great match for TG and TS people.

When I retire from my current teaching job in a year or so, I'm thinking of going to school as a nail technician. The money's not great, but it will be supplemented by a state pension. I also have a background in TV production and have already been approached by one salon about doing promotional videos for them. Since I was fully dressed when they asked me, I think they understood what they were getting into! I think there may be a market for my abilities in the beauty industry, even though it's a far way from where I started my education.

- Diane

Hi Danni, I've also noted that a number of CD and TS people work in various positions in hospitals, seems in general to be a trans friendly workplace. Recently, I've also noted a number of eBay store owners that appear to be CD or trans modeling clothing, bras, nightgowns etc. for sale in their stores -- maybe I'll do that myself when I retire in a few years.

Allana

If you're not worried about stepping outside your professional comfort zone, have you considered working with not-for-profit or cultural groups? I'm not sure where you're based/what your interests are, but the historical and arts communities at large seem to be fairly open minded and friendly. My boss at one National Trust site in the UK mentioned once that she met more varied and interesting people working for the National Trust than as a professional actress, and I know she had at least one TS friend who volunteered while dressed as an outlet for her femme self. Sometimes the pay with NFP isn't as good as it would be private sector, but if you're more looking to top up your retired pay than have it be sole support for you (or make you rich in retirement) it may be a way of finding a subject you love and turning it into a pleasant work.

I got an offer to be an asssistant for a company that makes lingerie... The owner is a tv