Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is (a) transgender?

What is (a) transgender?

I thought it was like, anyone who didn't fully identify as their birth gender and had some sort of significant amount of the other gender in them.
    But now I see it being used mainly around transexuals

What the devil is a transgender person and what does it mean to be transgender?
    The ultimate woman is a man - House

Transgenderism is basically anyone who doesn't fully identify as their birth gender. A woman trapped in a man's body and a man trapped in a womans body. I read an article a while back where the medical community is officially shying away from using the term transsexual because it today has so many different definitions that the word has no real meaning anymore.

Aspiring Member
    From what I am to understand Transgender is an umbrella term that covers all who do not conform to there birth gender. So it would be a term used by TS, CD, Transvestite, Drag queens/Kings and so on. Transsexual is still being widely used by pre-op and post-op people who are physically changing there gender through hormones and surgeries.

Great question with many answers, I'll wager. Me, I consider gender a spectrum. There are the "Guys - Guys" my BiL and Chuck Norris perhaps on one end, and the "Girls Girls" - I don't know, Vanna White?, at the other end. In between are the rest of us. I don't want to be a woman, but I have many traditional female characteristics. Other women I know well have traditional masculine characteristics but don't want to be men. So, I identify as transgender, in my own particular spot on the spectrum. But what do I know? ;-)

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    It seems that a lot of people, even on these forums, misunderstand the term transgender and treat it as a polite way to say transsexual. Melissa's definition is a good working definition and Gretchen has covered most of the other aspects.

We need to be wary though of phony partners. Whilst "transgender" does refer to people whose gender differs in part or wholly from their birth sex, the term "transgenderism" seems to have a more specific application to non-op transsexuals.

I am quite clear that I am transsexual and this makes me part of the transgender community. At my TG support group, we also have people who are happy to be cross-dressers and would never consider transition; they are just as much transgender as I am.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Let's break it down, Gender- ones sexual roll, male and Female are the basic genders, Trans- to cross over, as in Trans Atlantic travel, between America and Europe, or Trans America, to cross over America, so there fore Trans Gender must be to cross over genders. So the real question is, is a CD, just a little Transgendered, or a lot, but it's all about cross over!
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

=)
    Thanks everyone. I feel a bit more clued in now.
    The ultimate woman is a man - House

I think TG is the all inclusive term. Its having some sort of identity with the opposite sex to whatever degree. People who are not familiar with the subject assume that being TG means you want a sex change operation which of course is not true. I'm somewhere in the middle but don't desire to change my sex.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by JamieTG View Post
    I think TG is the all inclusive term. Its having some sort of identity with the opposite sex to whatever degree. People who are not familiar with the subject assume that being TG means you want a sex change operation which of course is not true. I'm somewhere in the middle but don't desire to change my sex.
    I share this belief fully.

It is also one of my more favorite terms, as an added note, and I love to educate the un-knowing about its general meaning.
    With love,
    - Celes

Silver Member
    Virginia Prince coined the term "transgenderist" (in the 70s I think) to describe a non-op fulltime TS (as she described herself.)

Eventually it was shortened to "transgender" and came to be used instead of "TV/TS", eg. the "TG community" instead of "TV/TS community"... because it was three characters shorter and saved three bytes of computer memory I suppose.

As time as gone on, it is now often (but not exclusively) used as a "polite" term for "transsexual" and is not necessarily intended to be inclusive of TV and TS collectively (why we need "polite" terms is something I will never understand...)
    Last edited by Vickie_CDTV; 04-19-2011 at 10:15 AM.

My own thoughts are like Transgender = crossing (trans pre op ) full-time into the other gender (mindset) in actions and appearance than wut you are assigned at birth (as per your sex). Transsexual = having actually physically like totally crossed (trans post op ) to the other sex (male/female) that you shoulda been at birth. I feel that CD and TV and other acronyms are a totally different category or wutever with their own meanings. It's like the categories of car, bus, truck is to "vehicle". This is, of course just my take on it, but it works for me. You ask a dozen others or wutever and you'll get a dozen answers lol. Main thing is we all do wutever feels right for ourselves.

As most here have said, it is currently a somewhat vague, all-inclusive term that covers all of us here with the exception of those who are here only in support of us.

Carol
    My name is Carol.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I really am NOT clear on the concept, Melissa! But they say, I ARE ONE!!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by My Lady Marsea View Post
    My own thoughts are like Transgender = crossing (trans pre op ) full-time into the other gender (mindset) in actions and appearance than wut you are assigned at birth (as per your sex). Transsexual = having actually physically like totally crossed (trans [COLOR=purple]post op ) to the other sex (male/female) that you shoulda been at birth.
    Gotta disagree with you Marsea. I think that some of the previous posts nailed it.

If you feel, to any degree, that your gender identity doesn't match your body, then you are transgendered IMHO. I have no intention of transitioning full time but consider myself to be transgendered. That is the reason I present as female sometimes.

I believe that if you feel a complete or near complete disconnect between your innate gender identity and your body then you are transsexual. Basically different points on the same scale. There are transsexuals who never transition fully.

As others have said though, there certainly isn't a lot of clarity here.

Has it been 3 weeks already?

This never get resolved to the satisfaction of everyone on this site. It is generally considered that "transgender" refers to the whole wide spectrum of people who present at one time or another as the opposite gender to which they have the genitalia of (now that is a classic dangling participle). This question has been brought up over and over again. There are few terms here that everyone can agree on. Even transsexuals have a spectrum from non-op through post op. Before long we all start to sound like an order at Starbucks. What are you? "I am venti transgendered, non-op, crossdressing, non-drag queen, with ambiguous clothing desires and delusions of gender and a hint of cinnamon...to go."

For the sake of definition on this site, most have agreed (not all mind you but then we are a diverse group) that the word "transgendered" includes drag queen, genderqueer, androgynous crossdressers transvestites girly bois beardache pre-post and non op transsexuals. There does that clear it up?
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    This never get resolved to the satisfaction of everyone on this site. It is generally considered that "transgender" refers to the whole wide spectrum of people who present at one time or another as the opposite gender to which they have the genitalia of. . .For the sake of definition on this site, most have agreed (not all mind you but then we are a diverse group) that the word "transgendered" includes drag queen, genderqueer, androgynous crossdressers transvestites girly bois beardache pre-post and non op transsexuals. There does that clear it up?
    Yup,

. . . the whole wide spectrum of people who present at one time or another as the opposite gender to which they have the genitalia of (now that is a classic dangling participle).

Before long we all start to sound like an order at Starbucks. What are you? "I am venti transgendered, non-op, crossdressing, non-drag queen, with ambiguous clothing desires and delusions of gender and a hint of cinnamon...to go."
    Amen sister, amen!

Has it been 3 weeks already?

This never get resolved to the satisfaction of everyone on this site.
    Let's start a "what color panties thread" or a "GG's have it so easy thread. . ." (JUST KIDDING!)

with ambiguous clothing desires and delusions of gender and a hint of cinnamon...to go."
    "I clearly asked for just a WHISP of cinnamon"- Niles Crane
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Gold Member
    "I am venti transgendered, non-op, crossdressing, non-drag queen, with ambiguous clothing desires and delusions of gender and a hint of cinnamon...to go."
    To go? Of course. After all, you have to get back to your closet.

I think one layer of proof that it is all encompassing are the acronyms GLBT and LGBT. If they didn't mean all people with gender variations, then the acronym would cover those with sexual orientation variations and transsexuals. Seems an odd combination by virtue of its exclusions.

Barbara
    Many answers here, many along the same lines. What I have found from much reading is that there seems to be definite meanings to all. Crossdresser, transsexual, transvestite, and transgendered appear to have different meanings. My understanding is that a Transgendered person is one that feels more comfortable as the opposite sex than they were born with. They will also do some form of body reforming, ie implants, hormones... to change their appearance. A Crossdresser is one that dresses in the opposite gender clothing, not necessarily for sexual or gender satisfaction. A transvestite mainly dresses for sexual pleasure and the Transsexual opts for gender reassignment and full time life as one of the opposite gender from their birth gender. I would think that these terms could possibly apply to either genetic male or female.

This is only MY understanding, and possibly my way of defining and accepting myself, and is in no way meant to be gospel and PLEASE, nobody take offense to these thoughts as I accept ALL equally and have no intent of disrespect to anyone.

I consider myself Transgendered as I have tried many creams, pills & pumps to entice my breasts to grow and laser to remove hair.
    Barbara

Let it Blossom - Let it grow

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I am a crossdresser who dresses simply because I like to!! But since I do crossdress, I also fit the designation of a Transgender since I do wear the clothing of a female. I have no desire whatever to become a woman physically, and never will. So I will never be a Transsexual!! Is that plain enough??
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by O2B Barbara View Post
    My understanding is that a Transgendered person is one that feels more comfortable as the opposite sex than they were born with.
    One problem we may have is that people's understanding of words changes depending on the country they grew up / live in.

In the UK, Transgender is defined by the health service at http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Transheal...soverview.aspx where we can read
    Trans and transgender are terms used to describe people who don’t conform to the traditional division of male and female.

Trans embraces many different types of people and lifestyles, including:

* People who cross-dress (transvestite people). These are people who sometimes wear the clothing of the opposite sex, but don't want to live full-time as a member of the opposite sex.

* People who feel that they're both male and female, or neither male nor female.

* Drag queens and drag kings and other people who don’t appear conventionally masculine or feminine.

* Transsexual people. These are people who have a strong and constant desire to live and be accepted as a member of the opposite sex. Many transsexual people have gender reassignment treatment to make their appearance more consistent with their preferred gender. This often involves hormone therapy and surgery.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

I too believe people's sexuality lies along multiple spectrums (physical, identity and attraction). I also believe a plot indicating the population along each of those spectrums would be inverted bell curves with large populations near each end and a smaller number of people distributed along the range in between. Unfortunately a significant number of people are offended about anyone who doesn't display behavior that appears to put them near the same end of all three spectrums.

This is like a Rorschach test, every person sees something different. I believe that 'transgender' refers to all those with gender identity issues. It includes transexuals, transvestites, drag queens and drag kings. Which am I? I prefer to think of myself as a freak of nature.

As I understand it the word transgender has come to be a catch-all for everyone who has gender identity issues. I'ts not just people who are in a state of transition, but the definition of words that changes over time. In the old days the word sex was interchangeable with gender, as in 'the fair sex' referring to women. I think it's kind of nice to have one word, such as transgender to describe all of us as it is very uniting and inclusive. I'm always impressed by the tremendous diversity amongst the girls on this site and yet there is so much that unifies us... Transgender: unity within diversity -- that describes crossdressers.com very well.

In a way it is sad and in another it is almost laughable, but all the terms and definitions today are so ambiguous that it is nearly impossible to know what is what. Good is now bad and bad is now good and there is more new words going out everyday than seeds in a watermellon. I just found out the hard, and needless to say very embarassing, way that spook is now a racial slur. Spook used to mean ghost and had nothing to do with a persons color.