Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is MAC CD friendly even in conservative areas?

Is MAC CD friendly even in conservative areas?

Someone told me that pretty much all mac stores are cross dress friendly. Some even let you change there. Is that true or a bunch of BS?

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    true .
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Even in boy mode??? I must g tomorrow then! It would save me so much heartache on makeup problems!
    Thanks.

One of the first CD things I have ever done was walk into a crowded MAC store at Christmastime, in boy mode, and ask for a foundation and concealer match. The MA could not have been cooler - there wasn't even a second's hesitation. She made me feel so comfortable. . . MAC rules!

[SIZE=4]Every MAC location has individuals working there. Each of those individuals may have a pre-existing interpretation of what they do for a living. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]With that being said, I work for MAC and have trained many of their makeup artists. The MAC ideal is to be totally OK with virtually every person's likes and dislikes, but you could run into someone who doesn't like crossdressers for some strange reason. I have never run into one, wait, I am a crossdresser and they let me work for them....[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]My best advice is simply to walk into the counter or store, make an appointment for a makeup lession and do it. You may be able to change there, depends on the layout and the store. Believe me, I have seen some pretty strange people (not just crossdressers) change and leave the MAC stores I have worked in. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]Whatever you do, don't make this into a "Make-or-Break" situation by pinning all your hopes on a magical transformation that will make you the most gorgeous woman around. Be realistic, listen and absorb what the artist says to you. Then take that information and practice it, more than once.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]Remember those famous words uttered by Tootsie when she first looked at herself made up, "I thought I would look prettier".[/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am a licensed Cosmetologist (hair stylist, not cosmonaut), work as a hair and wig stylist, makeup artist and permanent makeup artist, dressed as you see in my avatar and albums.

My web site www.apparentlyfemale.com

I have over 2,500 pictures on my Flicker site located at http://www.flickr.com/photos/9315394@N02/

They don't care how you dress, but if you want them to do a make over make an appoint. The stores tend to get very busy so if you just walk in they may not have time or you may have to wait. If you feel uncomfortable having it done in front of everybody a store I go to will do it in the back where you maybe more at ease.

Deep in the Heart of Texas..okay..DFW area
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrogredick View Post
    Even in boy mode??? I must g tomorrow then! It would save me so much heartache on makeup problems!
    Thanks.
    Yes in boy mode I have not done a makeover in the store, but I do walk in and shop..usually I know what I want since its a return visit to restock. Their products are great but costly.. I say this so that you are careful on your spending intentions Still, its my fav for foundation.

You would be surprised at the openness of most of the SAs. Yes, I have been caught off guard when talking shades and she will apply it on my face to see..like duhhh.. what better way to find out

They will offer tips, etc..so ask if you wonder about something.

Good luck
    Marissa

"You better look hard and look twice,
    ...is that me, baby or just a brilliant disguise?"- The Boss

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I live in Georgia in the U.S.A.!! I do live near Atlanta, but my particular area is really pretty "redneck!" That said, I shop at 2 different MAC stores, depending on which direction I am going! Both of them are very CD friendly, and many people do change there!! Too bad all stores aren't like them!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

MAC- In my experience has always been a pleasure. MAC, is notorious among CD/TV/DQ people. Whenever I go I;m either totally dressed or androgynous...sorta (like tight girly jeans boot cut low rise, black American Apparel cami that drapes at the hips, over sized belt, then a girly collared shirt a top it all, subtle ballet flats, my nails are always painted, with bracelets, hoop earrings, and some fun necklaces). As far as make-up, I try and downplay my look, I will wear a total foundation, powder, bronzer, and blush. But other than light eyeliner, and a hint of shadow, I'm ready to go. (mascara & lip gloss OBV)

Whenever, I approach a counter, I'm straight forward with what I want. Think about it, if your at a MAC counter and spending hundreds of dollars on make-up, have FUN with it! Take your time, exchange ideas, and most IMPORTANT be comfortable with yourself, it rubs off. I was at MAC last Saturday, and I spent almost 2 hours. People came and went, some stares, but whatever. Let them stare. Don't be bashful, it just looks weird. She did my eyes and lips with the cutest purple pink, I almost died, it was so HOT!! So guess what i spent 150 dollars on make-up. The SA was thrilled, she gave me extra sponges, lip gloss, and her card.

Most MAC make-up artist pretty much know (no matter where) that eventually they'll be doing make-up for us. It's probably in their job description! lol Most LUV it, because it gives them the opportunity to illustrate their artistic style!

This is getting long so I'll leave you with this: LUV MAC, don't over think it. Find a SA that you like and make a new friend!!! AND N JOY U R SELF!!!!! xoxo Katt

Quote Originally Posted by Debglam View Post
    One of the first CD things I have ever done was walk into a crowded MAC store at Christmastime, in boy mode, and ask for a foundation and concealer match. The MA could not have been cooler - there wasn't even a second's hesitation. She made me feel so comfortable. . . MAC rules!
    Exactly the same situation here too I've been back to the same store several times now (different MAs each time), always in boy mode, and always with great service (except for the time when the MAC people were on lunch . . . and then I just had to wait longer than normal ).

That reminds me . . . I need to get back to MAC and buy some more goodies!

Good luck -- just take a deep breath, and you'll be a-ok!

Mel
    Mel

I just went into the MAC store in the mall to purchase a new power adapter for my MacBook Pro. Everyone was very friendly and helpful to me.
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

OMG, I thought this was about Apple computers at first. Then I realized you were talking about makeup, and I had to do a google search and look past all of the Apple references to find http://www.maccosmetics.com/

I have so much to learn

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie001 View Post
    I just went into the MAC store in the mall to purchase a new power adapter for my MacBook...
    If that Mac Store sold makeup they'd only have one shade of lipstick, and you'd have to "jailbreak" it if you wanted to use it anywhere but on your lips!

We have an odd situation at our mall. There is a MAC section in the cosmetics department in Macy's and a separate stand-alone MAC store in another part of the mall. Both seem to do a good business.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I have to echo what has already been said. I'm almost a 100% MAC girl, and I have always experienced fantastic service regardless of which MAC store I go to. I always shop in girl mode, but I know some who went in drab and were treated as good as can be.

When it's come up in conversation, many of the MAC artists I have met have told me they have worked at many different stores all over the country. I believe that whenever an opening becomes available at any store, it is announced company-wide and any artist from another location can apply for it. Therefore, employees tend to move around within the system to advance their careers. So even in the most backwards and redneck locations, the people working at your local MAC store very likely have come from somewhere else and represent a wide range of values and experiences gleaned from many different places. I have been treated very positively in every MAC location I've visited, but that may not mean much, because all the ones I've shopped in have been in decent sized Northern cities.

- Diane

Eeeeh, I'm gonna drink some wine and do it. How much will some basic items cost foundation ect? What should I excpect to pay for a basic set up? Just so I know how much money to spare.
    Last edited by Genivieve; 05-05-2011 at 02:03 AM.

Silver Member
    As with everything people claim to be TG friendly (and everything in life in general) your mileage may vary. 99.9% folks at MAC are probably fine with it, but you may get the 0.1% that are not; you can never be 100% sure of a positive experience. Even if you happen to get the 0.1%, be mentally prepared and don't let it bother you, look somewhere else and I am sure you can find someone who is fine with it.

The ladies at the Lubbock Texas store are super nice and helpful

Jean Ann

My experience with one store in the mall was positive with one person but she sought the advice from another associate that told her no when she asked her to help me. I came in dressed but was having problems with another brand of make up that was giving me a kind of greenish hue color on my face. So as Tamara indicated the shops are staffed by individuals with different views that we need to respect if we are to get respect in return. So in the chair by the entrance there I sat removing all of my make up and having the artist try different things and learn on me but finishing the job making me look a lot better than when I came in! She appreciated the fact that I was willing to remove my make upp in the store and allowing her to gain some knowledge on the differences needed to make a guy try and look like a girl. Well you can only do so much with a mug like mine, but she did really well. In the other stores across many different states and locations I have always had positive interactions with the associates.

Dana
    [SIZE="3"]Dana Rachael Stevens

The person I have always wanted to be, is within me!
    [/SIZE]

Eeeeh, I'm gonna drink some wine and do it. How much will some basic items cost foundation ect? What should I excpect to pay for a basic set up? Just so I know how much money to spare.
    MAC makeup is expensive compared to drug store brands like Cover Girl or Revlon. Most single items such as lipstick, lip liner, eye shadow, eye liner, blush, mascara, etc. are $14-16. Foundation tends to cost more. I use MAC Studio Fix and it is $28. It covers better and wears longer than the cheaper brands I have tried, thus I use less. The higher price is not so high when looking at the total cost over time. I have never seen a sale at MAC. If you visit the MAC website, the prices are listed.

If you get a full makeover at MAC, you are required to spend a minimum of $50. This seems to be the policy at all of the stores, but there may be exceptions.

Banned Read only
    Someone told me that pretty much all mac stores are cross dress friendly. Some even let you change there. Is that true or a bunch of BS?
    It would be sort of a contradiction as those are the people who hired RuPaul as a spokesperson...

Pretty much 99% of my stuff is from MAC. My first time ever buying/trying makeup full on was at a MAC location in boy mode. Went in, nervous as could be (at first), whipped out my phone and shown a pic of myself dressed up and said "This is what I want to improve." and went from there. She smiled and pointed me to the makeup chair. Spent an hour with her trying things on, and left with her business card after being told to call her any time if I had any questions. She turned out to be the assistant manager too! Hehe.

It is a great brand though, the foundation/concealer work fantastic as a beard cover and for other blemishes for that matter, and some really neat colors I haven't seen so much at other locations when it comes to blushes and lipstick. I got one of these Haute & Naughty Lash 2 in 1 mascara and absolutely love it!

And not to scare you... I had a big bonus from work and felt made of money when I went, and went all out I did. Bought: mineralizer, primer, foundation, concealer, powder, blush, contour, 5 brushes, a tube of lipstick, one of their MAC brand makeup bags for it all, remover wipes, an extra-strong oil-based remover, and an eyeliner sharpener. All in all it cost me just over $520, well spent too, IMO.

Thankfully it all gets used at different paces and replacing individual items isn't so expensive. Also, if you bring in something like 7 empty cases, you get a free tube of lipstick

And again, I went all out crazy on a employee bonus high. haha. Pace yourself if you must!
    With love,
    - Celes

Quote Originally Posted by tamarav View Post
    [SIZE=4]Every MAC location has individuals working there. Each of those individuals may have a pre-existing interpretation of what they do for a living. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]With that being said, I work for MAC and have trained many of their makeup artists. The MAC ideal is to be totally OK with virtually every person's likes and dislikes, but you could run into someone who doesn't like crossdressers for some strange reason. I have never run into one, wait, I am a crossdresser and they let me work for them....[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]My best advice is simply to walk into the counter or store, make an appointment for a makeup lession and do it. You may be able to change there, depends on the layout and the store. Believe me, I have seen some pretty strange people (not just crossdressers) change and leave the MAC stores I have worked in. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]Whatever you do, don't make this into a "Make-or-Break" situation by pinning all your hopes on a magical transformation that will make you the most gorgeous woman around. Be realistic, listen and absorb what the artist says to you. Then take that information and practice it, more than once.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]Remember those famous words uttered by Tootsie when she first looked at herself made up, "I thought I would look prettier".[/SIZE]
    Tamara, which MAC store do you work at. I would like to like to stop by and get some makeup tips/help from you.

Nicole

Hmmmm, I do believe that RuPaul was one of MAC's first spokesmodels. They can't get much more welcoming than that, LoL

I have found the MAC Counter inside Macy's at the Rivertown Crossings Mall in Grandville, Mi. (near Grand Rapids, Mi.) to be very cd friendly. I have asked questions, and seeked advise and have even had a few makeovers and bought items that they recommended. They are just inside the lower level mall entrance. I have gone in as male, and also in girl mode, with never a problem.