Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pierced ears

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    6 weeks??? My holes stopped oozing in 48 hours and were solid in 5 days. In 10 days I changed out the earring carefully and there was never a problem. Make sure you follow the antisceptic procedures carefully for a few weeks but the healing process is really quite fast.

Yes, I had a few people make negative comments (like my father, even though I was 50...we never grow up, do we!) but after the first time that was it and life went on. Just keep the earring small and tasteful if you're concerned. After 2 weeks you could leave the earring out for a few hours at a time if you need to, really.

tina

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    yeah, no one cares anymore.
    Besides, you can't hide it anyway.

Either the people around you respect you or they don't and getting your ears pierced will not effect that at all !

Y.

why do you need to hide the fact? lots of people have there ears done...many times.

why worry? It isn't manly? (pirates, Yul Brynner, Jason Aldean (for all you country fans), most professional athletes, many actors, rock stars) or you just are afraid closed minded people who don't have a life will laugh? The only problem I could foresee is the same that women have, if you work somewhere that it could get caught in moving equipment and becomes a health issue. I have had mine done for years, no one cares...well except the one client who noticed three years after I had them done who said "Now I know what to get you for Christmas". Let me tell you they don't hurt like clip-ons do
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Tonya, the SHOE monster! rocketscientist's Avatar

Lightbulb

I too had the same worries and concerns you are now facing. I had 1 pierced by a friend when I was 18 and the other I did myself with a sewing needle! My solution was to cut very small lengths of those clear plastic tags you always cut off your new clothes. Like with the fishing line, heat up the end and create a small mushroom. After dipping it in antiseptic, push it through from the back of your ear. If it sticks out the front too much, pull it out and nip the end til its flush with the front of your ear. A fingernail cipper works great for this. If it still shows too much for you, use a little dab of hypo allergenic foundation to cover it up. Be sure to clean and sterilize properly at regular intervals. I think these work better than fishing line cuz they are a little thicker and much more solid. Hope this helps you hun. Hugs,Tonya
    "Be yourself, everyone else is already taken" = Oscar Wilde

Lots of good information here. If I do get it done, what is the earliest I can remove them for a short time. If I get a job interview and want to remove them for an hour or so would that be okay?

Silver Member
    There is no real rule here. You will have to "play it by ear", LOL.

It depends how quickly you heal and that's a personal thing.

For a month or so I had to ask for help to get mine back in when I took them out. I have no trouble now, of course, but it's been more than several years.

Really, go ahead. Afterwords, you will wonder why it took you so long.

Stephie

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by susand262 View Post
    I would love to get my ears pireced. Is there away to keep them from being noticed from day 1? I know you have to keep them in for 6 weeks.
    why hid themi had one dun by a biker that road with then one was dieing from a bike reck an but the othe in my ear to rember hem an wore it for years stil do some times dont ride no more but if some ask i tell them that but that was 30yrs a go but this day age no body cares oney way ware them with pride it is no bodys bissness oney way

No one really cares anymore. Seems like half the NFL players wear earrings. My friends did not notice when I got mine done. So have some fun, get it done!
    Hugs,
    Betty

Lots of good information here. If I do get it done, what is the earliest I can remove them for a short time. If I get a job interview and want to remove them for an hour or so would that be okay?
    It's a little different for everyone. Apparently mine take a long time to heal. A solid year later I took them out for 4 hours, and they closed right back up. But for most people it seems like 3 or 4 months is the standard.

*Kisses and Best Wishes* Wendy_Marie's Avatar
    I intend to get both of mine pierced again...had them both done at one time many years ago and they have since grown up. At one time I had five in one ear and three in the other...From my days on the road with a Metal Band. Now if I do so I too will have to hide them for my job. There is a strict no visible piercings policy at my job as I suspect might be the case for others as well.
    [SIZE="3"]"I can't talk girl talk when there is a guy inside my head." Gracie Lou Freebush[/SIZE]
    Is this all that's left of my life before me. Straight Jacket Memories and Seditive Highs! No Happy Ending like they always Promised...There's got to be something left for me... And I Turn my Head and Stare into the Eyes of a Stranger.
    To those of you who consider yourselves to be "Cat People" I apologize in advance for I am not.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy_Marie View Post
    I intend to get both of mine pierced again...had them both done at one time many years ago and they have since grown up. At one time I had five in one ear and three in the other...From my days on the road with a Metal Band. Now if I do so I too will have to hide them for my job. There is a strict no visible piercings policy at my job as I suspect might be the case for others as well.
    HI Wendy,

Does your job have the strict "no visible piercings policy" for both males and females? If females can wear earrings, then the policy is discriminatory and against the law.
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

When I had mine done, I could change them after about 2 days.
    Now, her's the thing, if you have just steel balls, or skulls or somthing on thast order, you will come across as either a Harly man, or a rocker, or somthing like that...
    How-some-ever, if you show up with pearls or dangly rinestones, then your secrete is out!

I was setting at the lunch table with a group of female co workers when the subject of ear piercing came up. They were comparing how many piercings each had, some as many as 6 in each ear. After a while I said I had my ears pierced 6 years ago and hardly ever wear earings, Lie, they thought is was awful that I had my ears pierced but never wore earings. They even said the never knew that I had my ears pierced. So much for being noticed....

I asked my boss if my work would be ok with me getting my ears pierced, I work in a office with a bunch of women, so she was no, go for it,, it's kinda wild was her comment. So a year down the road, I think I've had 2 people ask, to both of them I said because I wanted them, that's been the end of it. No questions after that. If I ever go into a meeting where there is someone that may be ultra conservative then I take them out for a few hours, and put them back in.. I have noticed that the more I push outside my boundaries, the less people actually care.

just do it. the girl that did my ears had at least a dozen between her nose and mouth. not to mention, eyebrows, bellybutton etc. friends and family asked why both ears. told them, didn't know if i was gay or not. HEHE best thing iv'e ever done

I pierced both my ears while I was on vacation returned and literally nobody even noticed I had pieced them. And a stud in each ear (For a guy) is nothing. A lot of people I know have multiple piercings, or go with studs and plugs where they have a like 7/8" hole in their ear where this goofy soccer ball looking thing is normally parked.

Banned Read only
    All 43 posts said and done Susand262, just go get your ears pierced already.

Thanks everyone. I think if I was yonger it would not be as big of a deal. I am presently unemploried so I am worried that it might effect me in an interview. Then again being unemployed I think would be a good time. My wife of 31 years has only known of my dressing for the last couple of years, she says she doesn't mind if i dress as long as she doesn't see. I lately have been going out dress attending a tri-ess group. Last night I got up the nerve and I asked her if she would mind if I got my ears pierced. I don't think she knew what to say, she brought up about a guy interviewing for a job wouldn't look good. She said she would make a deal, if i quit drinking (yes I do drink too much) she said I could get my ears pierced. Not sure she really meant that or not. The next question may be where? I would not want to do it in the middle of the mall with everyone watching.

Thanks I wish I could just get it done but I still don't want everyone to know about my dressing. Also I am presently unemployed so I guess it would be better to at least wait until I get a new job.
    I guess I misread the original post, because I thought you were worried about what your employer or co-workers might think? Get it done now, and get the holes completely healed. If you have a new job your anxieties and fears will probably be increased, not minimized. Also, avoid the piercing pagoda sites at the malls and go to a real tattoo parlor/piercing parlor where they dont' use the staple guns, and consider getting hoops instead of studs. They look more masculine to a lot of people (Bruce Springsteen wears 3 in his left ear and 1 in his right, e.g.) and I've heard people say the hole heals faster with hoops. Fwiw I've had both ears pierced for several years and have never received a comment from anyone other than immediate family, all complimentary.

Living Dead Girl Schatten Lupus's Avatar
    No. Not only will you be able to see a hole, there is also the issue that if you take out the jewelry and reinsert it before the hole is healed your chance of infection is almost guaranteed. And fresh holes begin to close very quickly, which means you will be having to push the stud through skin, which adds even more to the chance of infection. Especially doing it multiple times, it just isn't realistic to expect to be able to keep it due to infection.
    My question though is why hide them? Obviously you wouldn't want feminine jewelry in all the time, but it is so common for men to have both ears pierced multiple times that no one really even notices, unless you have your lobes gauged out to about a zero, or if you have your the little flap the covers the canal opening pierced which is usually more of a "gay" piercing.
    Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein

Question Pierced ears -where and what

Okay my last post on this was how to keep pierced ears hidden. Thanks for the response. The main response was do it, no one else really cares. So now my questions are; Where should I have it done? Hate to do it at the mall in front of everyone. Second what should I get that would not be as obvious?

I was going to go have it done in a local shop. Probably best, it will be quiet etc. And studs? Probably a safe bet that are not too obvious and there are some quite nice ones available.

When I did it, I went with my daughter for moral support when she got hers done the first time. I went first to prove it wouldn't hurt. (Ironically I winced in pain) lol!

If you want privacy a local piercing/tattoo parlor would probably suffice though.
    Or, you could have it done at the mall in the morning during the week. You may get a few strange looks from the retirees that walk the malls in the AM but it's relatively deserted.
    Last edited by JulieK1980; 05-08-2011 at 05:21 PM.

Aspiring Member
    Visit a tattoo/piercing parlor and inquire about the cost. I got my first ear piercing at the mall about 15 years ago and I got my second holes about 4 years ago at a tattoo parlor. The second set was about 1/2 the price of the first. My wife and daughter got their cartilage pierced at the same parlor. It was clean, it was painless and inexpensive. The parlor that we frequented had regular piercing for $10, including jewelry, every Thursday. Check around and I'm sure that you will find a good deal. Piercing Pagoda, Claire's and all the other mall kiosks are not the best choices.