Thread: How to walk like a woman... without excessive instruction!

Learning, growing, living brookalicious's Avatar

Smile How to walk like a woman... without excessive instruction!

Before we get started, I'm sure you've heard many different formulative instructions about how to walk like a woman. Quite frankly, I've read most of them, and they're all *very* accurate. My problem is that I just can't seem to get the details right. I feel like no matter how hard I try, no matter what I do, I'm just flailing my arms in no-woman's land... *sigh* Don't we all?

I was a personal trainer (in an undisclosed former life) and everything comes back to balance and body weight for me, so I tried to imagine what I could do to reproduce what a woman does to move so gracefully and delicately through... well... *everything*

So here is my silly-as-can-be, from the garage instructional method:

1) Take two equally sized chairs (or weights, if you want to be boyish)... they need to be about 15-20 pounds, ok?

2) Hold them out at your sides about three quarters as far as you can go. (No need to hurt yourselves, ladies...) I mean, don't hold them out like our Lord on the cross, just out enough that you know that they're there and you're forced to adjust for them...

3) Now walk.

Feel what happens on you lower body. Lift one foot off the ground as if you were going to take a step. What happens? Your weight suddenly shifts to that direction and you fall...

So you quickly bring your foot down and bright your weight over that foot. Your hip adjusts to handle your new center of gravity and your hips shift slightly. Now take another step... same thing...

This is how a woman walks... her steps have to be smaller and quicker. A girl also has to use her hips and waist to center her weight over her legs because her weight is spread so much farther out than a boy...

Just try it... you'll feel how your waist has to bend and turn to prevent yourself from falling over... there's a subtle shifting and swaying that - if you close your eyes - feels natural... and then!

Magically your derriere becomes a weapon unto itself... *lol*

Maybe it was just me, but this helped. I try to do this once or twice a week, so that I can remember how it feels. Its especially difficult in heels and so I struggle to find open space, but it works and when I forget what I'm doing and let me lower body go, it feels wonderful.

I don't know if this helps any of you, but if it does I'm glad I could make a little difference!

Take care
    ~b
    ~b~

Winning!

"Even a hunter cannot kill a bird which flies to him for refuge."
    Chiune Sugihara

Hmmmm walking with chairs. That sounds like a challenge. I'll give it a whirlll....

Renne....

Interesting. I'll have to try it. I have some success imagining that I have a string tied to the top of my head, like a puppet which forces you to stand up tall and pivot your body about that axis.
    Chickie

I try to keep my elbows close to my body and let my lower arms swing in a natural rhythm, keeping a narrow stride.
    Dance like no one is watching
    Sing like you're in the shower
    Work like you don't have to

Hi Brooks - what a *wonderful* tutorial!! Many of us are deeply in your debt! Hugs - Diane

Silver Member

Thumbs up

I will have to try it. The elbows in, shoulders back is a big help too. I was once told, men occupy/possess space...women pass through it!

Chaos is a friend of mine April Renee's Avatar
    Interesting. Reminds me of a rerun of the Worlds Strongest Man on ESPN last weekend where the contestants were carrying 353 lbs (25+ stone) in both arms....Very small and precise steps. So a chair seems kinda easy lol.
    April
    May the lord know those that don't love us so he may turn their hearts or at least their ankle so we'll know em by their limp.

You take the urban noise with some Durbin Poison.
    Its gonna lessen your load.....

I believe it's less about walking like a woman than NOT walking like a man, or at least this is an important first step. Trying to walk like a woman out of the gate, with a hip sway and all that, will often look contrived and fake.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Banned Read only
    • Shorter steps than male mode
    • Unpucker your butt
    • Be a bit lighter on your feet

All the women that I see in the mall and other places don't really walk any different than the men. What is really the difference.
    I love being a girl

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I found that seeing is better, and I'm still looking for the website with the program that can be switched from masculine to feminine as the "model" walks.

However, my experience is that if you put on 4" heels and as you walk you lead with your thighs (almost dancing), the walk becomes as natural as could be imagined. Then just do it without the heels when you want

Darn...wish I could refind that website that I know I bookmarked!!!

tina

Just make your legs go in front of you, starting with the thighs.

There are two basic things to do when walking, everything else will fall into place in time.
    1. Keep your legs close, let your knees rub when one leg passes the other
    2. Keep your elbows against your sides (toward the back), thumbs facing forward.

The swing of your arms and hips will come as you become used to it.
    Over emphasize when practicing.
    - AF

Look girl, act girl, feel girl ... be girl.

omg really you people sound like its the stone age LOL.
    First of all dont swag your shoulders, only men do that.
    Second if you notice the difference between men an women knee placement. Men tend to angle outward, women are straight if not justa touch inward.
    Dont Knee knock thats for handicapt people. You dont have to scrape your tighs together either , only fat legged women do that.
    Kept your thigh straight, yes no banging body parts is necessary.
    You dont have to over do the hip swaying just keep it simple an free.
    Chest out a bit with elbows back a little so your arms are not straight.
    Elbows are inward a little as the palm are slitely outward.
    After a while you will feal the femininity flow through you and then STRUTTING is allowed LOL
    Your Welcome.
    Breena.
    What else are you going to pick on cause for me it just ain't worth it, so I just look away and keep moving forward.

Breena.

Quote Originally Posted by suchacutie View Post
    I found that seeing is better, and I'm still looking for the website with the program that can be switched from masculine to feminine as the "model" walks.

However, my experience is that if you put on 4" heels and as you walk you lead with your thighs (almost dancing), the walk becomes as natural as could be imagined. Then just do it without the heels when you want

Darn...wish I could refind that website that I know I bookmarked!!!

tina
    It's here! (and it's awesome)
    http://www.biomotionlab.ca/Demos/BMLwalker.html

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    Yes, that's it! Thank you Kelly!

What a great simulation! I'm bookmarking it.
    Turning lines on really helps.
    Keely

One of the Reds

One Foot in front of the other.

Quality fitting shoes are a big help. I went through several pairs before finding a pair of Ankle Strap, Open Toe, High Heels that I could walk in properly.

When I got them it was like "OH, I See NOW"

Tight fitting undergarments seem to help keep the mind in the proper "Mode"
    Girl mode, when enacted, it becomes natural to allow the hips to swing a bit and not the shoulders.
    Chest out, Chin up

Yes Great simulation! I'm learning more and more about the walk. I seem to concentrate a lot on the hips and not so much on the arms and shoulders, this helps a lot!
    I finally figured it out! - I'm a Lesbian Trapped in a Mans Body!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/sexycindycd