Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feminism interfering with crossdressing?

Wow, lot's of responses! I'm gonna answer as many as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Violetgray
    Hm.. This begs the question if you lack a "transvestic fetish" as a motivating factor, and you believe that's what it takes, then how come you were a crossdresser in the first place?
    I didn't say that a fetish was the only motivation. But someone who gets a 'kick" out of dressing would probably keep dressing regardless of philosophical objections.

For me, admiration of women is what made me want to experience life on their side of the aisle (same reason I've slept in the mud in a Civil War uniform, to connect to someone else's life experiences). But as time passes, I look at other CDs and MYSELF (note, just as much criticism was leveled at my own person), and I can't help but think, "wait a minute, I don't think this is what I admired in the first place."

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Michele
    you are wayyyyy overthinking it OP!

lots of buzzwords like misogynist, offensive portrayal, and fetishistic in your post...you sound like you took a your first day of class in feminist school....
    Pretty much all great advances in human history were made by someone overthinking something. ;-) Also, while they may be "buzzwords", they make the point. Sure I could follow college English arguments class and use non-cliched synonyms, but what is the point? Y'all are an intelligent crowd and you'd still know what I was alluding to. Sometimes its better just to call a spade a spade.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythos
    However, something about feminism is that in actuality it is for equality (unless it is of the radical variety). Frankly I think it is a really bad title for a noble cause, which was essentially leveling of the playing field FOR ALL, not just for women. For men to take a few steps down and for women to take a few steps up. Unfortunately as we all know the male side did not really take any steps down, and anything associated with women on a male makes that male less than human. Why instead of calling it feminist they called it humanist, I don't know.
    Besides the fact that "humanism" as a term was already taken, "feminism" became an accurate moniker because it was a one-sided struggle. Men were severely oppressing women. Even men who "loved" their wives refused to relinquish their status as privileged males. Women could not vote, own property or even earn wages when they did work (all money a woman made in the early 1800s was paid to her husband). "Feminism" was exactly what the name implies, a women's movement against male tyranny. Feminists had no more reason to incorporate men into the title of their movement than the American colonists had to incorporate Britain into their Revolution (as Britain was the enemy). Yes, there were men allied with the feminist cause, but they were acting outside the parameters of Victorian manhood. Most men, even sensitive men, were indifferent.

When Abigail Addams expressed feminist thoughts in her letters to John, he either dismissed them or mocked her saying that he "could only but laugh" at her ideas, which would lead to "the despotism of the petticoat." And this was from a man who was rather sensitive and progressive for his day ... most men of the 18th century wouldn't have even had such a discussion with their wife.

At one of the first feminist meetings, the Seneca Falls Convention of 1848, Elizabeth Cady Stanton used a modified version of the US Declaration of Independence to declare the intentions of their burgeoning movement.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men and women are created equal." (Note, no female supremacy was ever stated.) "Whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of those who suffer from it to refuse allegiance to it, and to insist upon the institution of a new government, laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." (Notice the implied secession, feminists were seceding from established society the same way America seceded from the British Empire). The "humanism" of their day was in error, hence the need for a "feminist" separation.

To date, not all of the problems addressed at the 1848 Convention have been fully addressed, hence the continuing need for a separate "feminist" identity. Reunification of humanity can't really occur until men no longer have innate privilege over women. Until society doesn't use ****-shaming and "purity" to force girls into marriage. Until wages are fair and equal in all work sectors. Until the media stops objectifying women and promoting anorexic images of models almost too skinny to exist in real life. Until people recognize that girls can be just as successful in math and science. Until pigs fly. (In other words, women will always have specific challenges and need a unique philosophy tailored to meeting those challenges, something that "humanism" is too broad to address).

Sorry for the college textbook. Just trying to answer your question about why "feminism" is not lumped under the umbrella of "humanism." (Oh, and I may have gotten some names, quotes and dates wrong. Bite me, I'm not Googling this crap at 3:00 in the morning. If you're THAT interested, Google it yourself).

Hosiery, skirts, and bras are not meant to be "torture" devices as many radical feminists have stated they are.
    A lot of stereotypes about feminism linger long after their original meaning is lost. The idea of lingerie as a "torture device" stems from the turn of the century, where they literally WERE torturous. Corsets, for example, deformed womens' bones and restricted their breathing. And even nowadays, high heels can be very painful and physically damaging. Sure CDs might love to wear them for fun now and then, but most of us have never had to wear the damned things for 40 hours a week. And as for hosiery, God knows I'd be crazy if I had to wear the fragile things all the time. Keep in mind that as recently as the 1960s, such clothes were MANDATORY for women. Now it's an option, and modern feminists don't have a defined opinion on the subject. A girl can wear what she wants without some fictional Feminist SWAT team swooping down on her.

As far as bras...EVERY woman I have known has clearly stated that if they did not wear them, their breasts would be to their knees. This was not males telling me this, this was from women I have known. You know how guys get a kick out of breasts bouncing...well the large ones apparently hurt like hell if they are not supported.
    The "bra-burning" feminist is a ludicrous urban legend, and it's sad just how much people continue to believe in it. A single bra was burned in a trash can filled with various other feminine articles and burned (not the bra specifically, but the whole can). This spread into the media and spawned the myth of the Bra-Burner, a term that talk radio pundits would get endless mileage out of. But the "public bra-burning ceremony" that so many Conservatives believe in simply never happened. NOT ONCE. EVER.

Now it IS true that some feminists denounced bras. But understand that they were denouncing the fact that bras were mandatory. Not all women found them comfortable, but not wearing one got you a nasty social label. Such "uniform" regulations in society are wrong. Some feminists chose not to wear a bra to protest this bias, but only a few. Feminism had already existed in its modern form for over a hundred years, so going "braless" was hardly a major part of the movement. But when the media wanted to slander feminism, "bra-burning" was sure to generate shock and attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenanigans
    What I think some people have missed about your point is that your not saying being a girlie-girl is wrong. You are saying that building up this caricature of a woman can be kind of offensive (depending on what angle you look at it). I don't think that all drag queens are gay...I know that they do it for show and entertainment and I try to keep that perspective. However, point made.
    Exactly. Also, CDs are only experiencing a few small parts of a woman's life experience, and not even the most defining parts. This leads to some bone-headed statements by CDs. For example, I often hear "why don't GGs want to wear heels/stockings/corsets/bunny suits/whipped cream/ect. all the time?!"

Since a CD can simply change back to his normal self on a whim, he is going to get a much rosier view of womanhood than a real woman would have. To elaborate on my Civil War comparison, I know a little bit of what a soldier back then experienced. I've ground coffee beans with a rifle butt, chewed on hardtack bread, slept on the ground, marched in full wool uniform, fired period muskets, made ammunition and many other reenacting activities. In some very mundane ways, I know what it felt like to be a Civil War soldier.

But I'll never know what it's like to march towards a line of over a thousand armed enemy soldiers across an open field with no cover, pissing my pants because I'm so damned scared, watching my buddies next to me getting their guts blown out, to be wounded/maimed, or to look into the eyes of some poor boy who doesn't look much different from me but I have to kill him because he's wearing the other side's uniform. Do you see where I am going with this? It takes more than some clothes and roleplay to understand another person's life and struggle.

This is why I get frustrated when CDs say stuff like, "I feel so much like a woman when I dress." No, you don't. A man can't ever quite feel like a GG anymore than a re-enactor can feel like a soldier. Mostly because CDs have a "off switch" and GGs don't.

TG people are an exception, of course. They're in a different bracket, as they have decided to take on the mantle of femininity full time. But even then, a TG and a GG still have different struggles. A TG will never have to deal with menstruation or pregnancy. A GG will never have to have excruciating genital surgery, or deal with transphobia on top of sexism.

Also, I didn't mean to bash all drag queens and such performances. I just got a bad vibe from one I saw at a local club. I get bad vibes from beauty pageants, but I don't dislike all GGs as a result.

I don't know where I am with dressing right now. I do know that from now on, any dressing I do will be more dignified than my previous outings. I don't think I can do ****ty looks anymore in good conscience.

No matter what I've seen portrayed, I still enjoy being dressed. This whole thread is about a preference. My preference is that I feel like a woman when I am dressed. I am one of those guys you would see in that civil war uniform, using my imagination to actually feel and act like a civil war soldier. In my mind, I am one until that comes off. If you asked me I would say I was. Same with my dresses. I'm a woman until that comes off. Its like the guys who build replica Shelby Cobras. None of them will walk up and tell you, "Hi, my name is Bob and I drive a replica Cobra that isn't worth anything because I bought it from Factory Five." It is what it is. Half the fun is letting people guess if it is real or not!! Same with us!! You gotta have an imagination and a lot of self confidence to do what we do. You can't let things like that ruin your feelings of crossdressing. To me, crossdressing is a part of who I am. If I somehow became unhappy with dressing, I know I am unhappy with myself as a whole. It would be something I need to fix about myself as a person and not just about the dressing.
    Last edited by Jessica86; 06-07-2011 at 03:08 AM.
    "If you think you can or can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica86 View Post
    Its like the guys who build replica Shelby Cobras. None of them will walk up and tell you, "Hi, my name is Bob and I drive a replica Cobra that isn't worth anything because I bought it from Factory Five." It is what it is. Half the fun is letting people guess if it is real or not!!
    On that note, I am dying for a 1939 Studebaker Commander (or President). Replica or not, I WANT THAT CAR.

At first when I read your title, I thought you were talking about rad-fems literally interfering with people who are CDing, which is something they would totally do lol
    Last edited by CatAttack; 06-07-2011 at 09:42 AM.
    like shooting stars in a barrel

Quote Originally Posted by CatAttack View Post
    At first when I read your title, I thought you were talking about rad-fems literally interfering with people who are CDing, which is something they would totally do lol
    Well, any outside group can create friction. I would expect straight men and ultra Conservative types to be more of an immediate threat to CDing, though.

maybe i am the weird one here, or just a member of a unknown group?
    i never had a fetish over any part or type of clothing. i do not go ga-ga over shoes. but at times i got to have that pair of heels. if you want to sniff my dirty undies go away.
    i just feel better/right/at ease, when i have a dress on. sure i have no real reason to own a bra let alone put one on, as nothing needs support. but strange my feet sometimes do not hurt as much in some heels? but will, but in a different way.
    i love to slip on a cute pair of panties. i just love lace, can not get them that way in the mens dept.
    when not at work or someplace that requires me to be in drab i only have womens things on and it just feels right. not a sexual thing, just right.
    what is right? what is wrong? i do not hurt another, impose my wants/will on another, i just want to be me.

I really loved these points:

Quote Originally Posted by Lip5tick_Li5a View Post
    Keep in mind that as recently as the 1960s, such clothes were MANDATORY for women. Now it's an option, and modern feminists don't have a defined opinion on the subject. A girl can wear what she wants without some fictional Feminist SWAT team swooping down on her.

Exactly. Also, CDs are only experiencing a few small parts of a woman's life experience, and not even the most defining parts. This leads to some bone-headed statements by CDs. For example, I often hear "why don't GGs want to wear heels/stockings/corsets/bunny suits/whipped cream/ect. all the time?!"

Since a CD can simply change back to his normal self on a whim, he is going to get a much rosier view of womanhood than a real woman would have.

It takes more than some clothes and roleplay to understand another person's life and struggle.

This is why I get frustrated when CDs say stuff like, "I feel so much like a woman when I dress." No, you don't. A man can't ever quite feel like a GG anymore than a re-enactor can feel like a soldier. Mostly because CDs have a "off switch" and GGs don't.
    I very often get very tired of the same posts over and over and OVER again about how women do not dress well anymore, or a CD's wife won't dress a certain way that he wants her to dress. And, crazy enough, the latter group will sometimes say that they CD BECAUSE their wife does not dress "sexy.") I literally just shake my head. The idea of femininity is very tightly wrapped to clothing to many CDs. There was actually a thread on here not too long ago where someone asked what femininity was to the CDs on this forum. The overwhelming majority offered answers regarding the way a woman dresses. The GGs, on the other hand, offered responses that focused on internal phenomenons that most of us could not actually pinpoint. We all knew what we were trying to say, but it was hard to tie it down to a word. I realized that most CDs had absolutely no clue what IS true femininity...or even the bonding glue that ties most women together on some level.

And, I was also quite put off on the fact that a group of people who stand on their platforms, wanting the freedom to wear whatever THEY want, have the audacity to tell women that they dress like crap and need to take a page out of their own books.

I personally think people should wear whatever they want to wear...thus, I am not against CDing.

Speaking of life struggles and such, I have met quite a few member on this site who own a "vee-string." Which is essentially a prosthetic vagina made to be worn that can bleed and urinate. A few weeks after I got back from the gynecologist after being told that I might have endometriosis (which would explain my severe pains during menstruation) and may have trouble having children in the future, I had the pleasure of a talking to a member from this site who was telling me that his bleeding, plastic vagina made him feel more womanly. He could finally experience what it was like to be a "real woman." He considered himself a kotex girl.

My menstrual period might be taking away the one thing that is best about womanhood...pregnancy. And, here he was just happy as a clam about bleeding on a kotex.

I think that he thought menstruation was this beautiful thing. When people on this site talk about what it is to be a real woman, menstruation and pregnancy often come up. The fact of the matter is, they have Something to do with being a woman...but, not all of it. And, menstruation is not a beautiful thing that defines who you are...and, it certainly isn't quite the same as just having a bleeding, plastic vagina. I wish that people would remember this and who they are talking to when they try to equate the two. Especially when the woman might be suffering with things such as endometriosis or cancer and might not appreciate the fact that she was given this monthly "blessing."

Menopause, on the other hand, rarely comes up. I wonder why?

Just thought I would add that in regards to your analogy on role playing versus actually experiencing the real thing.
    Last edited by Shananigans; 06-08-2011 at 10:20 AM.
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

Shananigans,

Oh wow how things like the one you mentioned irritate me. It is borderline sick at least to me.

This is one of many things that disturb me about the whole "men feeling like women". I can no more "feel" like a woman than I can "feel" like a hamster. Yes I may be able to run in a giant wheel, or use a stair master, and go no where, in a hamster-like fashion, but I will NEVER know what it is like being a hamster.

That silliness aside. The only thing that I can do is experience those things that society for some reason has deemed forbidden for men, and yes that is clothing. I can feel like a man being felt up by a man no matter what I am wearing. But I cannot feel what it is like to feel that AS A WOMAN. I love the feel of a skirt and hose, but I cannot know how it feels to wear such things as a woman. Just like a woman can never know what it feels like to wear pants as a male. I love the tactile sensations of wearing a catsuit, but this is also something I can never truly understand the sensations a woman feels, EVEN if I were to get GRS. Why? Because I myself will always be me. And I was raised as a male. (and want to continue being one mind you).

I don't like Shania Twain's hit "I feel like a woman" My response to songs like that is "of course you feel like a woman!!! YOU ARE ONE. LOL." Thank you captain obvious. Her song reels off those things that women wear and do, that are really only "feminine" because of arbitrary rules set by someone. They are not inherently feminine. She does not mention the feelings and mindset dealing with child birth, menstruation, breast pains associated with rearing a child, all of those ARE strickly feminine. (and not the full scope either, there is more to being a woman than that)

There are many things about being a woman I would not want to deal with, and in many ways feel for women having to deal with it. The reproductive system being one of them. What a friggin mess that thing is. If it had been made by Cessna, that system would have been knocked out by the maintenance directives that came out against it (the male system certainly has its problems too, don't get me wrong there).

I DON'T have any want of knowing what it is like to have something growing inside of me. I don't want to know what it is like to have menstrual pains, or any of that stuff.

I also however do not want women getting pissed off at me because I DON'T suffer from it. I also do not want women being passed up for stuff just because they are women. The unequal wage thing being an absolute grand example.

That device you mentioned...I cannot believe there is someone making a profit by the manufacturing and selling of such a thing.

(Shananigans, I am sorry to hear about your situation though. But remember there are many many many unwanted, or abandoned kids that need someone that loves and cherishes them. I do wish people would remember this before bringing another mouth into the world to feed. You won't be denied the "joys" of parenthood. I intend to adopt if I ever get the funds to do so.)
    Last edited by Pythos; 06-08-2011 at 11:36 AM.
    "I am not altogether on anyone's side as no one is all together on my side"
    Tree beard. Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.

"And, I was also quite put off on the fact that a group of people who stand on their platforms, wanting the freedom to wear whatever THEY want, have the audacity to tell women that they dress like crap and need to take a page out of their own books."
    On here there's a very vocal minority who repeat their misogyny ad nauseum, do not take this as representing the majority view.
    Plastic vagina that bleeds?? You need a microscope for that minority.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Quote Originally Posted by Fab Karen View Post
    "And, I was also quite put off on the fact that a group of people who stand on their platforms, wanting the freedom to wear whatever THEY want, have the audacity to tell women that they dress like crap and need to take a page out of their own books."
    On here there's a very vocal minority who repeat their misogyny ad nauseum, do not take this as representing the majority view.
    Plastic vagina that bleeds?? You need a microscope for that minority.
    Oh, I know. I wouldn't be on this site if it was the Majority. I did get my panties all in a bunch one day, declared this site anti-feministic and said I was leaving. I talked to a few friends on here and remembered that MOST people on this site are not crazy or anti-feminists.

But, there are a few and they get me mad as hell.

I think everything has to be in perspective. The OP had great points regarding what I feel may be a minority of CDs, but is definitely not a silent minority. And, that minority posts enough threads to make every non-CD guest that visits this site wonder WTF is going on. But, I feel the more sensible people are getting more vocal. I've tried to get TG convos going with friends and coworkers to see their views on things and dispell any myths.

Feminists stood a platform and showed that women were not the weaker sex. I feel as though TG people (especially CDs) will find a stable platform to stand on and show that the majority of CDs are not ant-feministic, are not all gay, are not all shooving things up their bums and wearing plastic vajays. That is not to say that being gay is wrong or whatever you do with your bum is wrong. However, statements that I have listed and the concerns by the OP are warranted and need to be dispelled, even if it means pointing out the a loud minority Is a minority.
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Fab Karen View Post
    Plastic vagina that bleeds??
    it's latex it has a slit in it that is supposed to let your have intercourse with penetration (if you don't mind that there is no real penetration)

Oh and it isn't a vagina, it's a vulva.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    (Note: This reply is going to go far beyond your post. Not all "yous" are actually you...but, a general "you.")

It does sell itself as a "prosthetic vagina." (Yes, I had to get a load of what this thing looked like). It Is a vulva (though it does look like it has a simulation of the birth canal for various purposes). Though, technically it is neither a vagina nor a vulva...nor a uterus...it's a toy. I would not call my strap-on a penis. I call it a strap-on. It's a toy. I'm fine with it being a toy. If I paraded around on the street proclaiming to understand the male experience because I wear a strap-on, I would be considered off my rocker. It is also off your rocker to proclaim that a plastic/latex/synthetic toy is the same experience as womanhood. I also laugh at the bra-burning feminist stereotype...but, damnit...it makes me mad.

It's like what I was saying with the "sissy CD" thing. Yes, that portrayal of women is totally anti-feministic and offensive. However, I wouldn't judge anyone for it as long as they had it in perspective. As long as you don't REALLY think that women should act or behave like that, I could care less what you do in your bedroom. If you are a drag queen, acting like a clown...go for it and make the$$$. But, if you think that this is REALLY how women should behave and because they aren't, they are less womanly....you are wrong. If you want to wear random prosthetic genitalia for the heck of it, go for it. I really don't care if that's what you're into...as long as you aren't hurting anyone else, wear whatever the heck you want and play however you want. ...BUT, don't tell me what a beautiful experience it is for you to load up your fake blood and sit on a Kotex. Don't tell me that you understand womanhood. Real menstruation is a very weird aspect to womanhood...but, trust me on this...it's not womanhood. When women go through menopause, we don't magically go *poof* and turn into pumpkins. We're still women. Women who cannot menstruate (I was actually in this category for a while when I was running track), are still women.

When the fantasy or whatever becomes reality and you are equating your experiences with a group of people that you really know nothing about, that's when it becomes anti-feministic. And, this is when I (as a feminist) get sh*tty with said individual. (Or, I become so taken aback that I don't know how to respond). See OPs analogy to RPing a soldier versus actually being a soldier. Would you tell a war veteran that you tried on a WW2 uniform a few times and held a gun...so, now you know what it feels like? No. That's insane. And, I find the equating that manifests on this site equally insane. (Though by a loud minority).

Anyway, those are the main things that really jump out at me as really bothersome as far as anti-feministic. I don't really think the sissy CDs are a minority (I might be wrong), but again....nothing wrong with it if it's a game at the end of the day and you really aren't believing that's how all women behave.

And, that's what I feel the OP was getting at. CDing isn't wrong as long as YOU own it and don't use it as measuring stick for the ideal femininity. Most CDs are on the epic journey to achieve ideal femininity and look like the ideal woman when dressed. Well, I can tell you right now that so many are literally failing at it miserably because they haven't the first clue what femininity is...and, I can also tell you that you won't find it inside the perfect dress or up inside of a synthetic vajayjay.
    Last edited by Shananigans; 06-09-2011 at 02:57 AM.

Here here, well spoken Shaninigans.

Lipstick Lisa, There is a lot of truth in what you are seeing. (My opinion only). Hurray for the Feminist Movement! Don't ever give up! Don't ever give in!
    CANCER IS A BITCH SO YOU HAVE TO BE MORE OF A BITCH TO BEAT IT.

I can say that I had a very different motivation to CD than a lot of the girls here... it's for confidence building. I wanted to put myself in a situation that would make me vulnerable and wanted to learn how to just express myself in the best way possible with a lot of confidence behind my convictions. Sure, it's a weird way to put it, but it goes to show that we all have different reasons to be doing this sort of thing.

In the end, I found that merging my boy and girl looks as my permanent boy look (i.e. androgyne) and keeping my female personality was the best way to go forward with things. My friends accept both sides and accept me for who I am inside. That's what matters to me the most.

Hi Lisa,

You are really touching the tip of an iceberg. The intersection of gender and feminism is a huge topic, with scientific, political, and just plain human issues combined. There are actually radical feminists who hate the transgender community because the idea of genetic males wanting to become or actually becoming women somehow is "stealing" from them.

I'm on another forum where the larger gender-feminism topic is a large part of the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by clayfish View Post
    My advice would be to simply accept the person you are, and stop agonising over those aspects of this community with which you feel at odds.

While all of this is interesting food for thought, you just need to be who you are!

I love all the psycho babble that amounts to nothing, introspective b.s. that people think somehow changes who they are. If you don't know who you are and the paradigm you live your life by then I feel sorry for those of you that need to adhere themselves to a "grand" purpose or worldly concept.

Why do I dress? Because like many of the other "girls" here we are drawn to it and really have no choice, that is if we want to feel balanced. I choose the clothing I do because it is a reflection of who I am, I'm not a fractured individual, there is only one of me. I wear cargo shorts when presenting as a man and cargo skirts while presenting as a woman. Does that mean cargo shorts are somehow demeaning to men?

Everyone chooses to dress the way they feel comfortable, if you want to dress in granola and sit in a damn tree then don't bring down the rest of us and call us bigots or sexist because we choose to reflect our inner being, all of you defending this line of b.s. are part of the problem.

Just let everyone be the person they choose to be, don't feel the need to show off your false intellect by thinking you know me better than I do!
    We Are a Small Community - Let's All Stick Together

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Silver Member
    It is funny, many years ago Virginia Prince wrote in Transvestia magazine that with the advent of feminism, femmiphilia (as she called it) would be obsolete as men and women achieved parity in terms of dress and traditional gender roles. Needless to say, it has been about 40 years since she wrote that, and about 50 years since feminism took off in the 60s. Needless to say, I am still waiting for that to happen (and I am not holding my breath.)
    Last edited by Vickie_CDTV; 06-09-2011 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lip5tick_Li5a View Post
    Perhaps it's because I lack a transvestic fetish as a motivating factor?
    You may be correct about that. It means that as you have done research you have grown into something more than perhaps you were when you started. I think this entire thread and the responses to it show how most of us here are more than just fetish crossdressers. While there might always remain some form of role play or fetish in private we enjoy along with it while we are dressed, I think there are very few who are on this site who take things to the extreme of wanting to experience a menstrual cycle. Sure there are thousands of those out there with all sorts kinks and fetishes but I really doubt they would get all dressed up then get their toys out or put on a artificialfical vagina and set at their PC's reading post on this site. There are way too many you tube, xtube and similar sites they would find way more to their enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by Shananigans View Post

And, that's what I feel the OP was getting at. CDing isn't wrong as long as YOU own it and don't use it as measuring stick for the ideal femininity. Most CDs are on the epic journey to achieve ideal femininity and look like the ideal woman when dressed. Well, I can tell you right now that so many are literally failing at it miserably because they haven't the first clue what femininity is...and, I can also tell you that you won't find it inside the perfect dress or up inside of a synthetic vajayjay.

I agree with what your saying. I would just caution that femininity and feminism are two different things. When a CD tries to achieve femininity through an ideal look it is only from their own perspective. The way they want to look to themselves in the mirror or in public but that does not mean they want all the women in the world to dress the same way. I don't dress the same way everytime I dress. I wear jeans and a top with flip flops a lot more than a dress or a skirt because that is how most GG's dress where I go. I am not trying to experience everything about being feminine and I am certainly not trying to make any statement about the feminist movement. All I am doing is dressing and trying to act in a feminine manner.

As for the Sissy CD. they are simply emulating the GG's in costumes playing the part of Maids or feminine fantsy girls they see in Porn. I mean really its out there aways being portrayede by WOMEN making a living doing in so film but that is not their true identities or intent to make anyone think it is how all women should act or dress.
    Last edited by kendra_gurl; 06-09-2011 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    it's latex it has a slit in it that is supposed to let your have intercourse with penetration (if you don't mind that there is no real penetration)

I was quoting the phrase she used. And I repeat: intercourse with it? Might as well just give your date a sex-doll. Call me old-fashioned, but I like to feel it when having intercourse.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Quote Originally Posted by kendra_gurl View Post
    But that is not their true identities or intent to make anyone think it is how all women should act or dress.
    I met a few who live 24/7 as a sissy sub. There was actually a thread a while back that got a lot of attention. I think again that it's a loud minority. However, I wonder sometimes what people think that randomly visit this site. Some threads from here were addressed for larger discussions in my gender class. (I went to a small, private college for undergrad). So, this forum is not quite the safe bubble that it seems to be. And, for people here that are coming with a research-mind, they may wonder what the consensus is of people that share a certain view. And, it only takes one thread that get blown up for a loud minority to seem like the consensus. This was another big discussion for my gender class.

Also, I completely agree that feminism and femininity are not the same thing, but they do play an important aspect with each other. My point was that if femininity is what defines a woman, then you can use the certain feminine traits that a woman Should be like or is Supposed to be like. (Which is my problem with people that attempt this on this forum, and my main point). When femininity is used to say what a woman should be or is supposed to be, it starts brushing shoulders with feminism. And, feminists rally for equal rights...however, it's mainly views on how a feminine woman should be or is supposed to be that are addressed by anti-feminists.

Banned Read only
    Hey Lipstick, I live right across the Elizabeth River from you, if you decide to throw away your clothes I'll take them. I love dressing and becoming a curvy, shapely feminine woman.

sissy sub
    Waz that? A type VII Uboat painted pink with purple polka dots. LOL.

I can see both sides of the argument; but I don't really dwell on it anymore.

I made the choice to dress and act in away that doesn't disrespect women if I head out or post pictures.
    Just my choice; Im just being myself, that is gonna offend some people but I'm not trying to offend anyone so watch my public image as a CD.
    And I'm with Karen on not dressing for Halloween mainly because its me and doesn't feel like a costume.
    I also dont consider it a fetish.

Being that there are so few "ex-cd's" I'd say you may want to take a break, relax for awhile and take some time to figure it out.
    No harm in staying in or stopping for awhile until your comfortable with it.

Just a few things to consider:

Drag queens are acting and play on every stereotype they can find, I consider them performers and while they crossdress I don't really think of them as CD's.

The community is wide open and CD's evolve,grow and change with time.
    In any community this large there will things and people you dont agree with.
    I don't let that stop me from doing other things I enjoy.

I have many photos I took while finding my "fashion sense" that Im not proud of, [fortunately it was much harder to get them on the net back then so they are still private :-)]
    Of course I tried the cliches; I really didn't know where else to start.

I don't dress everyday so when I do its a special occasion and I dress up.
    if I dress for a few days in a row I start playing with more casual looks and comfortable clothes.

People are mixing two different things together. The physical reality of being a GG is called womanhood. Femininity is the cultural rulebook that governs how women should look and behave to be socially accepted.
    So monthly periods, childbirth, female friendships etc are part of womanhood whereas party dresses, perfumes, supportive roles are part of femininity.

Transsexuals and transgenderists want to experience womanhood. Crossdressers want to experience femininity so the looks, mannerisms and sexual roles are important for this objective. The problem is this distinction between these two aspects of being a GG is not clear to many. So when a crossdressers says he wants to be a woman, actually what he means is he wants to experience femininity but because of male gender upbringing he can only do this by mimicking a woman. This causes a lot of confusion and misunderstanding all round.

Crossdressers should not be denounced for not representing or desiring an accurate representation of a woman's life because that is not the intention in the first instance. As in the OP it is really more akin to war reenactments which give you a flavor of the lifestyle, and naturally you will focus on those aspects which interest you the most and ignore those which are not interesting.
    I want to be judged for who I am not what I am. Thank you for listening.