Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: england?

I am not English! I am a manicunian, born, bred and proud of the fact! In general the Uk is a pretty tolerant place were we adopt the attitude of "live and lat live", however, you need to be aware that it is not the done thing to expose all your secersts. For example, I live in a wonderful village in the north of Derbyshire (about 12 miles from Manchester city cente), I have a brilliant group of friends, a close family who all live in the village and we all have a right riotous way of life which encompasses hard work and hard partying (drinking mainly!) but i would not dare reveal my secret self. What that means is that life is sweet here, have the best of all worlds so long as I keep my private side to myself. Suits me.
    PS. Google League of Gentlemen Royston Vasey and you might get an idea of my approximate location

hi . sorry i got it wrong there is 2 of us (hi jane G ) yes it is lovely in cornwall but if you want to make cd friends it is very hard. i feel cut off down here . i want to grow but i do not go out dress so people are not interested.have fun and take care love deanna b xx

Quote Originally Posted by donnatracey View Post
    "Wales England"? Don't you mean "Wales, UK". Unless things I have changed a bit since I last lived there back in the mid 90s.....
    No "Wales England" was the thing to say if I said UK I was asked where it was. Except for one lovely receptionist who insisted I was from Australia as I spoke like her son-in-law who was apparently from Oz, don't ask !!
    [SIZE="3"]Lots of love Gina X[/SIZE]

If you sit near the river for long enough eventually the bodies of your enemies will float by......Chinese Proverb
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing !!
    People who think they know everything, are especially annoying to those of us who do

"Wales England"? Don't you mean "Wales, UK". Unless things I have changed a bit since I last lived there back in the mid 90s.....

Technically Wales is not part of the UK, as it is a Princepality. The UK consists of the United Kingdom of England, Scotland and Northern Ireland. That is why the Welsh flag does not feature on the Union Flag.
    Last edited by Carole; 06-16-2011 at 12:06 PM. Reason: With apologies to DonnaTracey, I wasn't sure how to quote your post.
    Carole

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum posts both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.

Cymru (Wales)

Quote Originally Posted by Carole View Post

Technically Wales is not part of the UK, as it is a Principality. The UK consists of the United Kingdom of England, Scotland and Northern Ireland. That is why the Welsh flag does not feature on the Union Flag.
    Indeed, we are a Principality! Prince Charles, the heir to the UK throne, is currently Prince of Wales and his eldest son, Wills lives with his beautiful new wife Kate, just over the hill from me in Ynys Mon (Anglesey) - an island off the NW corner of Wales where Cymreig (Welsh) is the predominant ancient Celtic language. We often look up when a yellow paraffin budgie (Sea King search & rescue helicopter) flies over our house from the local airbase, RAF Valley, and wonder who is on the sticks - Prince William is now an accomplished S & R pilot. We give it a wave just in case! We love the Royals here - Wills & Kate just mingle with us locals calling in for a beer and meal here or there and shopping in our local shop. We respect them for that and let them be.

We used to have a lift bridge over the River Dee up north to keep the English out and before that there were 2 ancient earth banks running N-S, King Wat and King Offa's dykes to do the same job... (In Scotland there is Hadrian's Wall - built by the Romans to stop the Picts (Scots) invading England)

But we're all friends in the UK these days (I think!) although we do have our own Parliament these days - the Welsh Assembly, similar to the Scottish Parliament but with a few less legislative powers. I have heard that the Cornish want their own Parliament too these days. Them down in Kernow (Cornwall) can be a bolshy lot at times ;-)

There, a bit of history and learning...

xx Polly
    On a journey from here to there. Mostly here but sometimes there....

via flicker.. when browsing pictures.. inevitably when i go see the profile.. the pictures of the girls who are hanging out together . .with the most sophesticated looks and the most sophesticated sense of comfort .. its always in london or something.. i think culturaly something is going on here.. us girls are certainly common but its more solitary... i could be wrong.. just my impression..

Technically Wales is not part of the UK, as it is a Princepality. The UK consists of the United Kingdom of England, Scotland and Northern Ireland. That is why the Welsh flag does not feature on the Union Flag.
    According to that fount of all knowlege Wales was assimilated into England before the union flag was devised and Wales is included in the union flag by the cross of England and although Wales is a principality the Prince of Wales is a title held by the English heir to the throne i.e Prince Charles ......
    [SIZE="3"]Lots of love Gina X[/SIZE]

If you sit near the river for long enough eventually the bodies of your enemies will float by......Chinese Proverb
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing !!
    People who think they know everything, are especially annoying to those of us who do

Any of you Brits ever travel to the Scilly Isles? Yes exactly what I wrote, the Scilly Isles it is the south Western most part of the UK. Most Americans have probably not heard of it beautiful scenery and the wind! Birding is big there.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

With deference to our Welsh members I did say 'technically' due to the fact that Wales is not a Kingdom in it's own rite, (maybe Offa would argue that point as well) Of course it has a place in the UK but the full defininition of UK is 'the United Kingdom of..........etc' As for Hadrian he got it totally wrong thinking a wall would keep the Picts out, now a toll bridge might have worked...................... now I will get my coat!
    Carole

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum posts both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.

With deference to our Welsh members I did say 'technically' due to the fact that Wales is not a Kingdom in it's own rite, (maybe Offa would argue that point as well) Of course it has a place in the UK but the full defininition of UK is 'the United Kingdom of..........etc' As for Hadrian he got it totally wrong thinking a wall would keep the Picts out, now a toll bridge might have worked...................... now I will get my coat!
    Ah but, Carole, we've been a Princedom for many, many centuries and even one of them, Henry Tudor became King Henry of England... The Welsh Princes Llewellyn and Owain Glyndwr spring to mind from just after the Middle Ages. Owain even established the Welsh Parliament at Machynlleth (now there's a tongue twister for you non-Welsh folk...)

Agree about Hadrian getting it wrong, why do you think we put the Severn toll bridges in down south - we charge you to get into Wales but we Welsh can get out free if we so desire... OK, so if we want to get back in the same way we have to pay too :-(

Anyway, there are a few of us CDers across Wales. Should have been at my local group meeting tonight but got to go into hospital in the morning for my knee to be repaired 8-(( The same group (Uniquetg.org.uk) are having their 4 day summer event / ball in 2 weeks time and I'm going to miss that too because I'll still have my leg up in the air 8-((. Usually gets a fair few from across the border - especially Manchester going along.

Nearly back on topic!

xx Polly

DIOLCH yn fawry (sp)

Just remember ladies...as Roger Miller once so famously sang: "Eng-A-Land swings like A Pendulum do!"

Now, do you you want to give all that up over some piece of minutiae like The difference between The U.K. and England? By the way, whatever happened to Great Britain?

Peace and Love, Joanie
    Last edited by sterling12; 06-16-2011 at 09:44 PM.

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Minutiae of A difference!!! well there's a can of worms,you just doooooont wanna open believe me LOL

I have friends from all 4 British Nations,but e.g. Just watch soon,at Wimbledon if Andy Murray should win it he'll be British,but if he loses he'll be Scottish.Just little things like that get my Nationalistic heckles up

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Sorry Sophie, I was just pointing out how screwed up The Song would be! "The United Kingdom swings like a Pendulum do." I think it loses something....no?

Yeah, I was being frivolous. You all can be as Nationalistic as you would like to be. Just remember that, when you hear people refer to us as "The Colonies." Just like "England" we haven't been known by those terms in a long, long, time! Still don't know what happened to Great Britain? Do you all still sing "Rule Brittania?" "My People" once came from your fair shores. Apparently, they just didn't want to stay in Lancashire!

Peace and Love, Joanie

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    No worries Sterling,its good to have a chuckle heading over the border in a cpl of weeks on holiday (see im not biased LOL)to Blackpool in Lancashire infact,can fully understand the decision of your forebearers to choose Florida

Flower of "Scotland" always over "Rule Brittania" (dodgy lyrics) for me

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Maria View Post
    DIOLCH yn fawry (sp)
    Croeso! (Sounds like you're going to mosey on down the M56 and A55 then...)

xx Polly -with leg up in the air heavily bandaged :-((

There is likely to be more cd in America. The population of the US is what, 300 million? The UK has a population of only 65 million.

Lets assume that 5% crossdress.

In the US, this equates to 15 million crossdressers, whereas in the UK it would 3.25 million.

Even on just this forum, there are a lot more Americans than British.
    Whenever I have worn a skirt in male mode, there have never been any issues at all.