Thread: What to wear shopping??

What to wear shopping??

While I'm sure this has been addressed in the past, I haven't found any recent posts. My question is, in the past when I've gone shopping I liked to wear either a skirt and blouse or a nice suit with stockings and heels. I thought I'd would look more feminine and draw less attention. What I'm finding out these days is that I feel like I stand out even more as it seems like all the ladies now mostly wear very casual clothes when shopping. While I do have some women's jeans and some leggings, I'm afraid I'll just look more like a guy (and even worse feel like one). How do you ladies out there handle this? Dress more casual to blend in, or dress it up even though you might stick out like a sore thumb

Thanks to all

Marcy

This is a good questions.

Even if a women wears a power suit to the office she will seldom wear it to the mall.

I wear pants and a nice jacket. Black pants dress shoes, and pick you're top and you can fit in almost anywhere

My crossdressing rule of thumb is to to dress a "little" bit nicer than the venue calls for.

Also look at the SA's what are they wearing if you want to fit in there's your que.

What to wear shopping? Good question. For me it depends on practicality. First I want something easy to get in and out of for trying things on. I also want to be comfortable if I'm going to be walking the mall. Third I always wear pantyhose when clothes shopping. The thought of trying on things without them is just ewww. If I am going to be trying on tops then i usually wear a top that buttons so I don't destroy my wig as much and I always bring a hair brush. This time of year I would be in jeans, a top and ballet flats or walking shoes if I was power shopping.
    I believe therefore I can [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blending in is over rated, imho!! Go for a dress or a skirt. Way more fun trying on dresses if you come into the store wearing one!! .
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Blending in is over rated, imho!! Go for a dress or a skirt. Way more fun trying on dresses if you come into the store wearing one!! .
    You know Karen you have a good point, nothing like slipping a new dress over the hose nd heels you are wearing!!!!!!

Not only shopping but anywhere you go when a G.G. happens to pass by with a skirt or dress wearing heels notice is taken by all. It's rare to see a lady dressed. I have made it a habit when I see a lady dressed nice is to pay her a compliment, sadly it dosent happen that often.....

Nothing wrong with a dress or skirt,just make shore you have a casual look if its the week end,during the day.during the working week,the clothing can be more nicer .but in the end its up to you.

I wear gilrs jeans most of the time. Its the only thing I wear in public. I find it easer to find jeans this way that way this sa now what style i like. a sweat shirt whirt and a cami on so i now what tops will look like with it on

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    last time I went shopping en femme with my Wife I wore sweater,skirt and heels and received no negative remarks or looks of disapproval,not one,i would say theres more women wearing skirts in the high street than ppl have suggested here

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Unfortunatly I have also found causual to be the order of the day. Jean skirt, tank top or polo shirt with sandles.
    But you also have a little more flexability on Sundays when church would typically be getting out. I find women tend to dress a little nicer then, and just drop by the mall for a bit, so you don't stand out as much. Also between 5 P.M. and 7 P.M. weekdays when the women in their nicer office wear are also just dropping by to grab something.
    Otherwise I think women are following in the footsteps of men and grabbing onto that lazy and casual garb.

While dressing nice may get you more attention, I think it's key to note, are you getting read, OR... apreciated???
    Some say standing out gets "us" read, and yea, somtimes I'm sure it does 'cause it makes folks pay a little closser attention to you.
    How-some-ever, I also think people apreciate seeing someone dressed up. I often find when I dress nice I get compliments.

Depends in part on where you live-in major cities you'll see a variety of clothing on women.
    There's a difference between dressing up ( nightclub or fancy dinner look ) & not wearing jeans/sweatpants ( which don't look terribly female on some of us ). Not just for "not standing out" ( many of us will to a degree no matter how dressed ), but for physical comfort doing a lot of walking around, flat shoes are a good idea. Other than that, a skirt or dress is fine. Get used to the idea some may notice you, but most will not care.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Silver Member
    For me it depends on what I'm shopping for. If it is dresses or skirts I wear them to the store. For slacks and tops I wear what I'm trying to match to.

I notice that GG locally are wearing casual dresses and skirts more often. You don't have to wear a power suit or cocktail dress. if you like, you can still be casual and femme in a sundress or gypsy skirt with a tee or tank, paired with some sandals - you'd blend right in.
    when in doubt, smile

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    I guess it all depends on how well one passes to a certian extent.........how much you need to blend in.

It s not that uncommon for females to appear at the mall dreesed in business/professional attire.
    They may simply be going to the mall before or after work ,etc.

Me too! Heels & Skirt = Big Complement.

Kerry

Depends on the weather and the time of year. For warmer days, a casual skirt and top are my preferred outfit. I agree, if you're looking for a dress, a top with buttons will be easier on and off. I know heels are fun, but some cute flats are going to be WAY more comfortable for a long day of shopping.

Casual for shopping--probably skirt, blouse, flats. You don't want to wear a dress and then find that you want to exit the dressing room to show the skirt to the SAs but don't have a suitable blouse. You can wear low heels pretty casually. And lots of women wear sweaters even when it's hot, because they cover the arms, flatter the waist--and the air conditioning may be cold wherever you are. I've seen black skirt with black hose even in Houston's summer heat occasionally. But bare legs are better for shopping. In principle you could wear slacks, but why would anyone ever do that? (Don't wear anything tight that is hard to get in and out of.)

Of course if you have just come from the office at lunch or after work and are wearing a suit/hose/heels, that would be ok. But you'll be the only one, unless you are shopping down town in an upscale place. I prefer thrifting, myself.

Lainie

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!

I agree with Karren. This is a typical summer shopping outfit for me.
    Image006a.jpg
    Phoebe

I usually wear slacks or a cute skirt shopping...nothing too dressy. Sometimes capris or crop pants too. Depends on my mood. I never go shopping in a dress, dressy skirt and blouse and heels. It's just too much for the mall and you will stand out. I don't like to stand out, I just want to be perceived as another woman shopping. I'm not there to make a statement.

P6050003.jpg
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I guess I'm perceived as being a "militant blender" here but guess what? I've been known to dress it up on occasion.

When?

Not on Saturdays, that's for sure. Every so often during the week. Otherwise, if one is a student of style, you can dress up the casual / blendable looks to be as feminine and fantastic as any dressy look.

Jeans rock, especially with heels.

Flats rock even more though, much nicer to be shorter and more nimble in getting around.

Phoebe, like that look a lot.

Cheryl, I love what you have going on.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

For my two cents worth... and having worked in retail...

Most GG's don't shop dressed to the nines. Jeans or slacks with flats (can't say I would every walk an entire mall in heels over 1") with a nice top. Skirts are out there, but not real common.

For myself, I like a casual skirt (denim works well) with nice top or just a cami. Always flats.

Randi

I generally follow a rule of, "dress in what you're shopping for," which usually means a skirt and nice top, with heels, jewelry and makeup. Basically, what I would wear when going out for a nice lunch with friends, or to work in an art gallery or progressive office. The guiding idea is to be "pretty," perhaps more so than the average GG shopper, but not to cross the line into "****ty" or otherwise inappropriate. I'm a little rad looking anyway with the visible tattoos and piercings, so I can sort of get away with nicer, or at least "different," clothes than most of the shopping public because they will not be the first thing that gets people's attention. I almost never wear less than 4" heels in any mode of life and, therefore, it wouldn't be true to my self-image to wear flats for shopping (although I appreciate the practicality of them). In the summertime I wear dresses a bit more, but I try to be conscious of how easy it will be to get in and out of them while trying on clothes. One thing I worry about a little bit is leaving makeup stains on clothes I try on, so I've been going a bit lighter with the foundation and powder while shopping recently. That's also sensible in the summertime since my face is very oily and tends to get shiny pretty quickly when I'm out in warm weather.

- Diane
    Last edited by Diane Smith; 06-20-2011 at 12:57 AM.

Silver Member
    Marcy, this is one of those things that really depends on one's desires and comfort level. Whether or not you want to dress down (pass better, but at the same time not wear what you like) to go shopping to pass better is up to you.

When I have gone out shopping at a mall en femme, I have almost always worn a nice sharp skirt suit, hosiery and low-er heels. I know it is "overdressed", but for me the pleasure in dressing up is getting to wear what I desire to wear, and I love wearing skirt suits. For me personally, if I "had" to wear pants I would just go en drab and completely skip the whole need to pass and all that. However, going out dressed has different meanings for others, some just wish to blend as a woman regardless of what they wear and that is just fine too.

If you do choose to go out in a skirt suit (or office type dress), I'd try going in the daytime or just after 5pm when there are more suited ladies around. Another trick someone told me years ago, and I have yet to try it personally, is to wear a fancy name tag with your femme name on it; she claimed it helped her come off as more "real" ("it has to be a woman, after all why would an upscale company give a male a tag with a female name?") and explained why she was "overdressed" in a suit. (Probably wouldn't want to try this if you are paying with a credit card with your male name on it of course.)

If you do decide to go out in a nice suit or dress, just remember to hold your head up high, and emulate the well-dressed, professional type woman you want to be seen as; they may read you, but you can still project a proud, positive image and make a good impression.
    Last edited by Vickie_CDTV; 06-20-2011 at 02:54 AM.

I never go dressy, not even on Sundays. I just dress like 99% of the women do.....jeans, tennies or sandals, and a comfy top, then go on about my business.