Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Assumptions

Assumptions

Why do people assume that just because a man likes to CD that he is gay? I am tired of being assumed to be gay just because I CD.

because RuPaul exists?

LOL at RuPaul reference

'cause we're the T (transgender) in LGBT.

They are always right about me

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Have people actually asked you to your face if you were "Gay?" If so, how do you answer them?

I cannot really answer your question because in the over 60 years that I have been a CD, there has never been a time when anybody indicated that they thought I was "gay!" Even now when I go out dressed enfemme, but presenting as a male I never hear any comments like that. I do get women asking me where I bought the skirt or the blouse, but that is all.

What many CD don't know, or realize, is that the majority of people walking around in public don't pay much attention to what people are wearing! Unless of course you are really standing out because of what you have on! I don't dress that way and never get bothered no matter where I go!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

People that live in large cities do not understand or get small towns. Small towns are very conservative; being more open than I already am could ruin me financially.

I have been avoided because others assumed I was gay because they heard I CD and assumed I am gay. The few that have actually asked me about it, I have openly told them that I CD but that I am straight.
    Last edited by Shelly Preston; 06-18-2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Merged - Please use the edit button

Formerly Deborah Whitney
    I am convinced that at least for some people, gender goes hand-in-hand with sexuality. In other words, if you're a man, you want women ... if you're a woman, you want men.

Hence, the assumption that if you want to *appear* feminine, you must want a man, and vice-versa.

Please note, I myself do not feel this way ... it is easier for us crossdressers to understand that sexuality/sexual orientation is not really tied to gender. It is also therefore easier for us to forgive these neophytes their errors, and lead them to greater understanding :-)

Some people assume you are what you ware.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb Weller View Post
    I am convinced that at least for some people, gender goes hand-in-hand with sexuality. In other words, if you're a man, you want women ... if you're a woman, you want men.

Hence, the assumption that if you want to *appear* feminine, you must want a man, and vice-versa.

Please note, I myself do not feel this way ... it is easier for us crossdressers to understand that sexuality/sexual orientation is not really tied to gender. It is also therefore easier for us to forgive these neophytes their errors, and lead them to greater understanding :-)
    That is SO TRUE, Deb! So much so, that when I began CDing about 15 years ago, I assumed if I liked wearing women's clothes I MUST BE GAY!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Living Dead Girl Schatten Lupus's Avatar
    Lot's of false beliefs and stereotypes exist. Lot's of people believe Sarah Palin said she could see Russia from her own home. Unfortunately it's one of the very many false things people in our society believe. You could go on and on about such things, like a man's penis size matters when pleasing a woman (or that black men are genetically endowed with bigger penises), lots of people do not trust atheist, and even many Americans believe the earth is only 6,000 years old. We may live in the Information Age, but America is filled many lies, misconceptions, and misinformation.
    Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein

Quote Originally Posted by sissystephanie View Post
    Have people actually asked you to your face if you were "Gay?" If so, how do you answer them?
    I had this question posed to me recently while out and about as an obvious male in a skirt and top. My answer: "Nope, totally separate issues."
    "You are not an accident, nor are you malfunctioning. You are performing EXACTLY as coded." For many "Man in a Dress" is the worst atrocity commit-able; for me it's just reality. Click to Learn About Me. Click to Complain About Me! There is a fine line between brutal honesty and honest brutality. It is rarely in the same place for the sender and the receiver.

I have been asked if I was gay more time then I care to count! Even by doctors! My answer is always the same! "No I'm not! What did you have in mind?
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

There are very few straight CDs on television or in movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Engendered View Post
    There are very few straight CDs on television or in movies.
    Great point! CDing and being gay seems to go hand in hand in the entertainment world. Sure some of our CDing friends are gay, but most are not, which is the part that the mainstream can't get their heads around.
    -Sedona

Come and talk with me ;) Briana90802's Avatar
    Come on people!! We all know why we lump CDers and being gay together. It's human nature. We all do it. And if you don't believe me ask yourself a few questions. Do you call native Americans: Indians or by thier tribal names? People always think I'm Chinese and I'm not.

I love the King of the Hill thing, "Are you chinese or japanese?"
    "I'm laotion from Laos."
    "So, are you Chinese or Japanese?"

I'm not saying it's right to do this, just that it's human nature.

I say "Yes I am a lesbian"

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 Girl View Post
    I say "Yes I am a lesbian"
    My friends have described me as a lesbian trapped in a man's body. lol

I never assume that . If anything I assume they enjoy what they are doing.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Personnally I don't really care what they think. I am happily married with 3 kids. I think that would pretty much prove that I am not gay. But so what if I was. I am still the same person. Like me or not, This is who I am.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    Here's another set of questions,
    Why do people assume that married crossdressers are straight?
    Why do people assume that if a crossdresser is not straight that he is gay? or vice versa?

People that are not engaged (or newly experienced) with the alternative lifestyles are more liable to make these type of assumptions. Best thing to do to educate them is explain your status and let them know that you don't represent every crossdresser
    Last edited by Princess Chantal; 06-18-2011 at 05:37 AM.

Because it is easier to assume than it is to ask questions.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think the assumptions are based on experiences. Girls like boys (and vice versa) and people see male-female realtionships every day. So if a guy wants to be more feminine it is only natural to assume that includes sexual preferences. The only way around that is through educating people and letting them see different experiences. Unfortunately that is currently achieved primarily through television which is progressive in many ways but includes only things that are a "cause" for people with the resources to fund programming. As a small group of people who tend to stay closeted we are simply not loud enough for our voices to be heard and so we do not effect change and live with the assumptions.
    I'M FREE, I'M FREE! I GET TO BE ME!

I find it amusing that people have forgotten about a famous publicly straight crossdresser: Dennis Rodman. When he married Carmen Electra, they had a public wedding in which he wore a wedding dress and she wore a tuxedo. The photos from the wedding can be found on Google Images.