Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any ladies in the military?

Any ladies in the military?

It's a bit more of a dilemma, even though DADT is going away, the military can be a far less-forgiving place than it wants to look on paper. Has anyone else managed to strike a balance with work and CD while still maintaining a shroud of privacy?

I'm former military, and haven't been in uniform in about twenty years. So I might not be totally up on the current state of things on the inside. However, even when DADT is finally gone, I doubt that being TG/CD in the active military will be a career enhancing activity. for me, it was something I pretty-much completely submereged within myself for the duration. In retrospect, probably not the healthiest idea ever. I can see gays and lesbians being eventually accepted in the military culture but, unfortunately, I think crossdressing will just play into the worst preconceptions and stereotypes of those opposing the repeal of DADT for a very long time to come.

Who was that guy on MASH who always wore dresses? Somehow I think I'd always conjure up that image.

I spent my time on active duty doing completely without my girly side. On MASH, Klinger was funny, but not realistic. Completely aside from CDing not being career enhancing, it is likely to provoke a barracks beat-down. That _might_ get the offender an NJP, but that will just escalate the emnity.

It is worth notnig that the VA can/has paid for breast enlargement and even SRS.

Randi

damn. What's a girl to do?

I was career Navy and you are probably right Erika, BUT. . . I think of all the just plain crazy people I served with and CD'ing would be the least of the military's worries!

BTW, do a search for a post made this past Veterans Day. You would be amazed at how many of us there are.

Groton - subs?

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I spent 4 years in the Navy during the Korean War and was a CD all the time. I was onboard a ship almost all the time, so had little chance to dress. But when on leave, Stephanie came out!! As Deb said, there are a lot oif us, including some still on duty!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

That's exciting to know that some of you pulled it off. And no, I'm not a submariner, I'm just working shore duty between ships. Although, if I was a submariner, nobody would bat an eye, from the stories I've heard. I could probably sleep in lingerie and get a phone number or two, XD

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Current military - over 30 years so far. I've been caught by my commander during a dorm inspection in 1982, a military physical a year or so ago, multiple other times for various little things, and yet I'm still in. Sure, I'm in the Reserves now, but I'm still here.

By the way, DADT has nothing to do with us. It is not a "get out of jail free" card for any behavior that the military sees as aberrant. Understand that.

Kathi

I'm active duty military now. I pretty much dress for short periods of time at my apartment off base when I get the chance. I agree with you all that if anyone in my shop found out, It would turn out to a non stop beat down. So for that reason I keep my dressing to myself. I don't leave my apartment, and I lock all doors and close all blinds before I even think about dressing

Aspiring Member Michelle Crossfire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Erika_bagels View Post
    Who was that guy on MASH who always wore dresses? Somehow I think I'd always conjure up that image.
    that would be Corporal Klinger, played by Jamie Farr

First off, DADT has no impact on being trans. DADT is about sexual orientation, not gender identity or expression.

I can't speak for the other services, but in the Army there is a regulation that specifies the medical standards for service (AR 40-501). Bottom line, there is a passage that covers being gay (which will now have to be revised), but there is another passage that specifically cites crossdressing, transsexuality or any attempts to change gender as grounds for being deemed unqualified for further service.

The good news, no disciplinary or legal action will follow, it will simply be an administrative discharge. The bad news, they act fast and a Soldier can expect to be discharged in 30 days. Repeal of DADT gives no protection in that case.

So the answer to the original question - yes, there are many! But it's better to stay stealth unless you need a rapid career change.
    I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back keep me here to wait for me so I don't go back out and miss myself when I return.

On the other hand, I know of a couple of TS qualified individuals who are known CDs, one of whom is also gay (with pics of him and his mom while he's en femme on his desk), and his command has no problems with it apparently. He's out, it doesn't effect his work performance and he is also part of a 'drag review' at a local night spot. I guess it's because he can't be compromised or blackmailed that makes it a non-issue. Either that or his CO is rather enlightened.

When I was on R&R in Thailand back in 1969, I met up with a pretty young woman who was the sister of a Thai friend of mine in the states. I met her when she had visited him in Dallas. She was definitely a GG, but when the very 'active' R&R was over (5 days), she handed me a pair of very sexy panties and said, "Mine are too small for you so I bought these for you. You should wear them because they are comfortable, feel good, are sexy and I know you will like them. You can have mine too remember my by." I think I still have them somewhere. At least that's what I tell her everytime she comes to visit her brother Chip . Think she knew?

I dressed off and on during the first 12 years of my career and pretty regularly for the last 10 years, including a lot of underdressing.

While stationed in Germany I was about five miles away from a young CDer at a different unit. He was documented in the paper Stars and Stripes. I never met him/her but many of my barracks buddies did. That was in 1970. The military looked the other way.

Loves ordinary miracles SuzanneBender's Avatar
    26 Year in currently serving in Afghanistan. Never had an issue with my gender identity, but I do my best to keep it out of my military life.
    See yourself as a soul with a body not a body with a soul" Dr. Wayne Dyer

19 years in the RAF (UK) so far..... We are very lucky though, I am openly gay and a lot of people know I dress too, though not yet shown most of them....
    We also have quite a few people still serving who have been through SRS.

Banned Read only
    It has been quite some time since I was in the military. Back during the Viet Nam era MOST commanders tended to look the other way at gays and lesbians, as long as their activities did not interfere with work performance. Of course, all it took was one NCO or officer to make an issue of a service members sexual preference, and, the person was discharged. There have been several prominent stories in the media of active duty personnel serving twenty plus years, only to be discharged because somebody pushed the issue. With DADT hitting the dust there will not be any change in military regulations defining unacceptable conduct. I'm sure the JAG officers are scratching their collective heads over cross-dressing. We will not know until someone decides to make an issue of cross-dressing with an exemplary soldier, sailor or marine.

I served 28 years on active duty and reserves in the US Army. I would dress in my BOQ room but would only leave the room underdressed and wearing boots.
    Never got caught.

19 and counting in the Army. I am still looking for that balance myself. I am completely in the closet to all my peers, only my girlfriend knows.
    I'M FREE, I'M FREE! I GET TO BE ME!

I missed this thread earlier, Better late than never. I retired from the US Army 5 yrs NG & 22 yrs AD. I kept it all in all those years.
    Mary

Addicted To Lipstick donnatracey's Avatar
    Retired from AF 15 yrs ago and managed to keep it to myself with exception of ex-wife. Dressed only at home on weekends while living both on/off base. Would not have been good for my career if it got out!.......

I was in the marine corps for 2 years until I severely injured my knee.but my dressing never interfered with my duty

Served 21 years in the Coast Guard, dressed as Karen much of the time, even goin out on weekends. I was lucky to live off base so did not encounter many co-workers.

Former Navy, and I kept my feminine side as far apart from my military life as possible. I still dressed, but only in hotel rooms and I kept my things at a storage unit.

We actually had a guy show up at a dress inspection in full female uniform. The Captain never batted an eyelash, other than to give him a demerit for not having a proper uniform. Of course it was known that the guy was just trying to get out of the service.

A number of us were in the militarry and most started CDing before entering the service.

However, now is not a good time to reveal having gender issues/CDing. Bradley Manning, the soldier accused of leaking US diplomatic cables to Wikileaks, spent much time talking about being gay and questioning his gender. He's currently in solitary confinement 23/24/7
    DonnaT