Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossdressing and Hollywood movies.

Crossdressing and Hollywood movies.

Sorry if there is already a thread on this subject, if there is hopefully a mod can direct me there or merge this with it.

Why is it that Crossdressers are never honestly portrayed in movies? If there are ever men wearing women's clothing in a movie, they are always over the top flamboyant drag queens (Priscilla Queen of the Desert, To Wong Fu, etc.) and almost always gay. They never make a movie about a guy who is straight, possibly married, and without psychological problems, who likes to dress up.

Anyone else notice this? I don't even go to the movies anymore, Hollywood disgusts me.

I don't know if there are any movies, but did you see that Adam Sandler is all over the news in a dress and makeup? I was laughing at work when I saw it on aol, and he's got a pair of 3 inch Mary janes and he is walking all over the set....how come he can walk in those heels???

Actually, there was a movie made by a British film company called "Just Like A Woman" which is EXACTLY what you are wanting to see in a movie about crossdressing.

Movies like Priscilla, Queen of the Dessert and To Wong Foo are about drag queens, and therefore they are portrayed as such. The sad truth is that Crossdressing is not as socially acceptable as we would like it to be so Hollywood stays away from it as a topic.
    Someone once told me "Put on Your big girl panties and deal with it". If they only knew, I WAS ALREADY WEARING THEM.

I wear the bras and panties so my wife doesn't have to.

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

Quote Originally Posted by KandisTX View Post
    Actually, there was a movie made by a British film company called "Just Like A Woman" which is EXACTLY what you are wanting to see in a movie about crossdressing.

Movies like Priscilla, Queen of the Dessert and To Wong Foo are about drag queens, and therefore they are portrayed as such. The sad truth is that Crossdressing is not as socially acceptable as we would like it to be so Hollywood stays away from it as a topic.
    Thank you, I will look for "Just Like a Woman", sounds good. Has anyone seen the comedy show called "The Kids in the Hall"? It was produced by Lorne Michaels who created SNL. The cast of the show is 5 guys so they play the male and female roles, so they would dress up and do it well. They talked in interviews about how when they were portraying women, they made a point of not being the over the top drag queens, which is how it's usually done in comedy, but they acually took queues from their girlfriends, Sisters and Mothers about dressing and mannerisms. The guy that I think was the least attractive as a dude was the best looking girl when he was dolled up. He was backstage and the stagehands were checking him out, then he talked and they heard how deep his voice was and were like "oh s***!!"
    Last edited by L'eggs n' heels; 06-22-2011 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria in heels View Post
    how come he can walk in those heels???
    Because he's famous and rich.

Don't forget that in comedies crossdressing is considered objectively funny. To Hollywood men who like dresses are no different than pies in the face or someone getting slapped.

However, I feel that King of the Hill and 30 Rock have done fairly accurate portrayals of us.

Quote Originally Posted by VioletJourney View Post
    Don't forget that in comedies crossdressing is considered objectively funny. To Hollywood men who like dresses are no different than pies in the face or someone getting slapped.

However, I feel that King of the Hill and 30 Rock have done fairly accurate portrayals of us.
    Good point, the English understand this well, ever watch Benny Hill?

I never watched King of the Hill or 30 rock, I'll have to look into those.

I'v seen the King of the Hill piece, and it was good and respectful, and yes, accurate portrayal.

I recently watched "Just Like a Woman" and I found to be the most realistic portrayal of a crossdresser that I've yet to see in a movie, not about a drag queen or transexual, but an actual crossdresser.

Breathes under water prettytoes's Avatar
    What about "Tootsie"? How about "Mrs. Doubtfire"? And then there was the 80's TV show "Bosom Buddies". Also "Sorority Boys". All included men who crossdressed, and they were all very heterosexual. So not all Hollywood movies and shows display crossdressing men as gay or flambouyant. Just my 2 cents.
    Life's too short to not be enjoyed! Live each day to the fullest!

Quote Originally Posted by prettytoes View Post
    What about "Tootsie"? How about "Mrs. Doubtfire"? And then there was the 80's TV show "Bosom Buddies". Also "Sorority Boys". All included men who crossdressed, and they were all very heterosexual. So not all Hollywood movies and shows display crossdressing men as gay or flambouyant. Just my 2 cents.
    Bosom Buddies was actually OK, for what it was, a sitcom. Tom Hanks has done some brilliant stuff and he's got a good heart. Didn't see Mrs. Doubtfire, I might check it out, it just seemed like Hollywood trying to reproduce a success due to a lack of original ideas.

Obviously you haven't seen any of the TG movies in my collection... And as mentioned "Just like a woman" is awesome. To Wong Fu... Percilla Queen of the desert. Breakfast on Pluto. The Crying Game. Hedgwig and the angry inch.... Transamerica... Many many good movies on TG subjects and tg stars. . And excusre my spelling. Engineer!! Lol.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I found "The Crying Game" on Netflix. Where can I find "Just Like a Woman"?
    When a woman dresses like a man, it's ok. But when a man dresses like a woman, you think it's degrading. Because you think being a woman is degrading. -Madonna-

I borrowed "Just like a woman" from a local tg friend and copied it to dvd... I have yet to find it on dvd. I have a good sized collection, may I've picked up at Barnes and Noble locally. .
    Last edited by Karren H; 06-22-2011 at 09:44 PM.

.......My Photos

I have seen all of the movies in this thread except for Hedwig, and I feel not a single one has done any justice to the CD community. They are show business product and just made to make money like any other movie.

Aspiring Member Dawna Ellen Bays's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L'eggs n' heels View Post
    Thank you, I will look for "Just Like a Woman", sounds good. Has anyone seen the comedy show called "The Kids in the Hall"? It was produced by Lorne Michaels who created SNL. The cast of the show is 5 guys so they play the male and female roles, so they would dress up and do it well. They talked in interviews about how when they were portraying women, they made a point of not being the over the top drag queens, which is how it's usually done in comedy, but they acually took queues from their girlfriends, Sisters and Mothers about dressing and mannerisms. The guy that I think was the least attractive as a dude was the best looking girl when he was dolled up. He was backstage and the stagehands were checking him out, then he talked and they heard how deep his voice was and were like "oh s***!!"
    I always thought Dave Foley looked nice as a woman on "Kids in the Hall." Check out this clip (especially at the 1:04 mark...he DOES look sorta like Zooey Deschanel, as one reply noted) (I hope video is allowed to be linked to this way):

Zach Cregger of the "Whitest Kids U Know" comedy troupe/TV show is another one who makes a great-looking girl (and says in interviews that he "gets that a LOT"). I'd provide a link, but their humor may be a bit too harsh for some folks. I'd post a link, but their humor would be considered offensive to some.

Start here if you're interested...

(it's not a CD sketch, but it's probably my favorite of the whole series. There are links to loads of others there)
    Last edited by Dawna Ellen Bays; 06-23-2011 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawna Ellen Bays View Post
    I always thought Dave Foley looked nice as a woman on "Kids in the Hall." Check out this clip (especially at the 1:04 mark...he DOES look sorta like Zooey Deschanel, as one reply noted) (I hope video is allowed to be linked to this way):

Zach Cregger of the "Whitest Kids U Know" comedy troupe/TV show is another one who makes a great-looking girl (and says in interviews that he "gets that a LOT"). I'd provide a link, but their humor may be a bit too harsh for some folks. I'd post a link, but their humor would be considered offensive to some.

Start here if you're interested...

(it's not a CD sketch, but it's probably my favorite of the whole series. There are links to loads of others there)
    I like this, it would be cool if they had more male actors playing female roles somewhat realistically, I guess that's how it was in Shakespeare's time.

the show that has distorted and perverted crossdreeing the most is jerry springer. the first thing my wife said to me when she found some of my makeup was "i know all about you crossdressing heshes i saw it on jerry sringer,its discussting".and if you ever saw jerry spring cover crossdressing you would agree.the guook like freaks and its all makebelieve. no reall crossdresser would dress up like a parody of a woman. a true crossdressers ultimate goal is to look so natural that you blend in unnoticed.i tyed to tell wife that but she won't listen

Worlds Prettiest Dad!!! Jocelyn Quivers's Avatar
    Another vote for "Just like a lady." An excellent portrayal and it was a movie that helped me very greatly towards self acceptance.
    [SIZE="3"]MUSCULAR GIRLS ARE PRETTY!!![/SIZE]

Current Inspirational Song-"Running Free"- Kissin Dynamite

M-E-A-T, M-A-C-H-I-N-E, MEAT MACHINE!, MEAT MACHINE!!!
    The Governor for President 2016!!
    All I want for Christmas is an Anita Model Synth

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Susan View Post
    I have seen all of the movies in this thread except for Hedwig, and I feel not a single one has done any justice to the CD community. They are show business product and just made to make money like any other movie.
    Yeah... Movies are made to 1)... Entertain and 2)... Make money... If it does both, then the best we can hope for is to not have a movie paint us as some kind of perverted sub-culture.. if a movie does that then its a good tg movie imho. Making a documentary on TG people that no one will see doesn't help us one bit..

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Maria in heels View Post
    I don't know if there are any movies, but did you see that Adam Sandler is all over the news in a dress and makeup? I was laughing at work when I saw it on aol, and he's got a pair of 3 inch Mary janes and he is walking all over the set....how come he can walk in those heels???
    Years of practice,thats how he can walk in them.
    Drink up me heartys,yo ho!

Kate

Quote Originally Posted by KandisTX View Post
    I've always heard about this movie, but could never find it. If anyone knows where to buy a (US player compatible) DVD, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawna Ellen Bays View Post
    I always thought Dave Foley looked nice as a woman on "Kids in the Hall."
    The KITH are simply awesome. I have all five seasons on DVD. My wife and I frequently repeat the jokes to each other. Dave Foley does make a pretty woman, its too bad that he vowed never to dress in drag again. I think his last time was a Halloween episode of "News Radio."

a tv show series in the UK "Moving On" portrayed a perfect example of your average young crossdresser in one of their episodes where Guy Burnet was one of the veteran crossdressers.
    I don't dress to impress, I dress to outdress

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by L'eggs n' heels
    Why is it that Crossdressers are never honestly portrayed in movies? If there are ever men wearing women's clothing in a movie, they are always over the top flamboyant drag queens (Priscilla Queen of the Desert, To Wong Fu, etc.) and almost always gay. They never make a movie about a guy who is straight, possibly married, and without psychological problems, who likes to dress up.
    [SIZE="2"]I would recommend Ed Wood, where the title character, a real-life transvestite, reveals a more realistic “take” on crossdressing. I’m not sure Ed was without “psychological problems,” though, but you can judge him (by way of the actor’s portrayal) for yourself…
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Susan
    [SIZE="2"]I wouldn’t expect a film about crossdressing to be financially advantageous in any shape or form, regardless of any meaningful story contained therein. Show business is mainly concerned with profits, as you say, and any “message” inherent in a movie is a purely a secondary consideration for critics to chew over – awards, along with critical acclaim, may be generated, but the general public will be kept in the dark about certain things they really need to see and understand…

I recall going to see Ma vie en rose during its brief run at an art house theater in Cambridge, MA in 1998. I made the effort to go see it because I dearly wanted to see it…alone. When I reached my destination I entered a world I was largely unaware of – the film in question had won awards at prestigious gay film festivals, according to the large poster I saw. I felt happy to see something I wasn’t meant to see, and the experience transformed me in many ways. I felt different afterwards, mainly because I had made a connection with the somewhat positive crossdressing world I knew was out there, but hidden from view as much as society can get away with. This film is still my favorite crossdressing movie, even though it is less about crossdressing and more about a gay boy trying to express his homosexuality by way of CD'ing, much to the consternation of his uninformed parents...
    [/SIZE]

The early 1950's movie, "Glen or Glenda" was ok.