Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making frinds

~On the road to Erin~ ZosKiaCultusC7's Avatar
    Interesting read! I'm generally accepting of my shyness but at the same time, I often wish I was more of an extrovert so that I would more opportunity to meet new people.

Abigail, You're absolutely right. I myself am often reluctant to try and establish meaningful longterm friendships online. I have a few members that I consider true friends and even a few moderators ( regardless of how many times I've needed to be corrected for not reading the stickys. ) whom also I feel a type of kindship with. I value my friends here.

But friendships online are just that "Friendships online" and while it may share some of the qualities it not a substitute for a more personal offline friendship. Please "Don't get me wrong about this." Online friends are still important but there is just something about being able to share things inperson. Online XXXX's are cute and all but I'd still rather have a real hug once in a while.
    CANCER IS A BITCH SO YOU HAVE TO BE MORE OF A BITCH TO BEAT IT.

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    I was thinking just the other day when watching "Seinfeld" that one of the reason of the shows popularity (other than the great comedy) is the interaction between the friends.
    Jerry, Elaine, George, and Karmer may argue, get on each other's nerves, etc but no matter what happens they are still friends in the true sense of the word and are always there for each if any one of them need something.

Are we now getting to so reliant on the net for everything now and we no longer have many real friends due to the the net taking ove our social life.... our existance?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Jo View Post
    Are we now getting to so reliant on the net for everything now and we no longer have many real friends due to the the net taking ove our social life.... our existance?
    For some, this may be true, but in my case it has allowed me to find face-to-face friends who share my interests, both in CDing and other avocations.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Haydée (pronounced Heidi) silhouette's Avatar
    I had someone from my area PM me recently and ask if i would be interested in going out sometime with a couple of other girls.
    Sounds interesting to me.. i could use a few cd friends IRL.

Although i am really terrible at makeup and kind of nervous about that aspect.
    Every time I've gone in public I had someone else do my makeup
    flicker on a TV screen... everything's more than it seems
    the mighty backward fall, stare at the lights on the wall
    and I swear to this - she felt like velvet

Aspiring Member

an important part about friends is

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail Evans View Post
    It's hard to make really good friends sometimes, especially on this Forum. I think perhaps it's due to the fact that although there is anonimity through the internet, there is also the hesitation to confide in others or get close to them, even though they may extend of themselves and have nothing but good intentions. We are all into this (CDing) together. By extending myself I have made many good friends here, but at the same time there are many others who seem to have high initial enthusiasm but taper off if more personal communication such as instant messaging or talking on the phone is offered. I realize there are many out there who do not have our best interests at heart and even deride us because of who we are. However, I have learned to take most at face value until proven otherwise and if that happens just do not communicate with them. We do have to trust our instincts and gut feelings sometimes with respect to others but I have found for the most part, many here are genuine albeit sometimes hesitant to pursue friendships. I was wondering what your experiences were with regard to this.
    the time set aside for friends. When one has "lots of acquaintances" it doesn't seem to impact time as much as it does when one has true friends. Like a part of the family, if they are really friends, then you are making a time commitment, so one can have only so many friends. Internet friends are time consuming in a different way and the end result is not quite the same, unless at some point everyone gets together for a physical meeting, and decides to be friends in the normal sense.

Aspiring Member
    It has always been a struggle for me to make friends. As a trans-gender woman I don't have much in common with the men that I know. They are all into sports, fishing, cars, you know, guy things. I would love to have a female bff but because I'm pretending to be a man, the women that I know aren't interested. The various female hairstylist that I have over the years have come the closest to being friends but only at the salon. Two stylist were special though. Twenty years ago one special lady did my makeup without asking and told me that I was beautiful. I had never heard those words before. Sadely , she has since passed away.
    A few years ago another special lady was doing my hair in her shop in her house. I admired her sweater and told her so. When she was done with my hair she said,"wait here." Then she left the shop and went into her bedroom. She came back out wearing a different top and carrying the sweater. She said," You can borrow this now and bring it back later." Now that is a friend! Sadly, she has gone through a messy divorce and doesn't have a shop anymore. But someday she will and I'll be there to give her some of my money and hopefully be a good friend for her. Leanne