Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Girl or Gurl

As far as I am concerned, we are all girls here, with the exception of the FtM guys!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

If I were inclined to claim either title I'd have to side with girl. As far as the original intent of the alternate spelling I believe Joanie is on the mark there.
    "You are not an accident, nor are you malfunctioning. You are performing EXACTLY as coded." For many "Man in a Dress" is the worst atrocity commit-able; for me it's just reality. Click to Learn About Me. Click to Complain About Me! There is a fine line between brutal honesty and honest brutality. It is rarely in the same place for the sender and the receiver.

I rather be known as what I am, a CDer and not girl or gurl. I'm not trying to fool anyone, including myself.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelOKC View Post
    The word girl when applied to grown women these days tends to come across as sexist, so I'd call that as a big reason for the alternative spellings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post
    These things DO matter to me, but, at this point in time, I feel a bit odd describing myself as a “girl,” or a representation of a girl, even though that little four-letter word makes me feel young.
    In the context of crossdressing, as it applies to me, I view the term “girl” as neither “sexist,” nor “odd.” As Freddy stated, using the term “girl” does offer the added benefit of perceived youthfulness, but it is more than this for me.

I do not seek a return to my childhood, or desire to consider myself a “youthful” girl, but I do believe strongly in the innocence of being a girl (or a boy, for that matter). Such innocence to me portrays a state of mind bereft of the negative aspects of socialization. It implies to me an open mindedness where one’s imagination is the limit, where the narrow minded expectations and beliefs of others cease to exist, and where I may be free to be me without a second thought of negative consequence. It also implies to me a sense of wonder and amazement of exploration and evolution sans judgment by a society that has very little understanding of us. Both adult women and men are corrupt in some fashion or another. I am also corrupt in some regard as a result of my membership within society. I strive for an innocent femininity, a femininity that is not corrupt. The word “girl” fits the bill for me, and I take great joy in considering myself a “girl” when I am able to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Badtranny View Post
    Gosh, this has got to be way, way down on the list of things that I would ever worry about.
    It's just a harmless way of separating the real from the TG, a kind of shorthand;
    . . . .
    How can that be offensive?
    Please do not misunderstand me! I take no offense at the term “gurl!” I seek merely to understand it, and satiate my own curiosity! I am not particularly worried about it, either. I desire only to give my opinion, and to seek further understanding on the question I have posed! Nothing more, nothing less!

Quote Originally Posted by kelly1818 View Post
    When it comes down to it, I think it's all a matter of personal preference, but for me, there's not a great divide between the two and I usually go with gurl, which I think is actually cuter and a little bit more feminine.
    This is a fantastic answer, Kelly! The explanation you provided had not occurred to me. As I said above, I am not offended by the term, I just do not prefer the term when referencing or thinking about myself. Regardless, whether one thinks of one's self as a "girl" or "gurl," or simply a crossdresser without further designation, we are all blessed with the same gift, and this is all that matters in the end! I love the way you think, Kelly!

Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post
    I HOPE you’re totally "off base"!
    Oh, I am off base, alright! And proud to be so! In fact, referencing your earlier thread on perversion, it would be more than fair to say I am an off base pervert!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Susan View Post
    I rather be known as what I am, a CDer and not girl or gurl. I'm not trying to fool anyone, including myself.
    I am a crossdresser! This is an incontrovertible truth! I also am not trying to fool anyone, including myself. I am, however, attempting with all my heart to be who I am. Although biologically I am not a “girl,” I am very much otherwise a “girl,” and I love this about myself!
    Last edited by Anne2345; 07-10-2011 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickhe View Post
    something like G URL? Like a Girl URL link... sort of like you are a virtual girl? Or it could be
    Girlie Uniform Retailer Locator?

Personally I prefer being a girl rather than a gurl. Unless a distinction is for some reason needed and meant. I won't lose sleep or peace of mind over it.

Calling people girls or boys in a friendly way is, to my mind, perfectly fine and nothing to get automatically upset about. The tone and manner should indicate if it's friendly or a belittling insult. Sensitivity to that can of course be different for some areas, groups and cultures - the other party might well not be aware of that though.

I prefer to be a girl!
    If you can't wear heels, what's the sense of dressing?......

I've been (in my mind) a girl/woman all my life.

To me, it has a ring of marginalizing the TS community and is the equivalent of putting women in quotation marks = "women." There is no need to differentiate ourselves from cisgender women, and no need to casually explain or reference someone by saying they were born with a birthdefect.
    "Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable."

It is no big deal to me. Live and let live, on this. Splitting hairs. To me, it is only to not confuse someone By using gurl, it lets them know, i am not a real girl.

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    I thought "gurl" was just another one of these Language break downs we get on here from time to time

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

I dunno, I always figured "gurl" was the counterpart to "boi". As in, just a weird way of spelling it that acknowledges there might be some gender-bending involved. Never used the term myself, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

The FW side of DFW, TX, but New Orleans is my adopted home town
    I was kinda with Sophie on this until I read your post, Anne. You make a great point, and obviously some do it consciously, while others take the text-speak-cute approach. In any case, I, too, want nothing to detract from my femininity. Life is all about perception, and our's doubly so, right?

Good topic.

Hugs,
    Torrey
    Torrey

"Never laugh, and you will live to regret it.
    That's what living is to me..." - Jimmy Buffett

https://www.facebook.com/torrey.stephens